Tendo City
New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: New Miyamoto interview (must read)! (/showthread.php?tid=304)

Pages: 1 2 3

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 21st February 2003

From CVG:

Quote:Friday 21st February 2003

INTERVIEW: MIYAMOTO HITS LONDON!

The legendary game designer is joined by the director of Wind Waker for a massive, in-depth interview - get in here now!

19:57
Mass hysteria greeted the arrival of gaming legend Shigeru Miyamoto in London today, for his first ever public appearance in Europe. At the event held in Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street, over a thousand fans crammed together to catch a glimpse of their hero - the man responsible for Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and a host of the greatest videogames ever created.

People came from across Europe, with some even camping overnight to ensure they got to meet and greet Mr. Miyamoto. But before this carnage, Mr. Miyamoto was involved in a far more sober affair. Accompanied Eiji Aonuma, the director of Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, he took part in a lengthy roundtable discussion with selected UK journalists.

Before the discussion got underway, however, we were treated to a short film containing clips of forthcoming Nintendo software. Zelda and Metroid Prime we were already familiar with, but astonishing new footage of F-Zero was more than welcome, followed by two nice surprises.

Firstly, extensive footage of Kirby's Air-Ride, which looked so cute, bright and cheerful, it almost made us gag. But in spite of this cutesy aesthetic, it looked a whole lot of fun and we can't wait to play it. And then... Pikmin 2!

Which, sadly, wasn't quite as exciting as we hoped for. It looks exactly the same, for one thing, although we did see the Pikmin carrying a giant rubber duck. Most importantly, we were shown the briefest of glimpses of the two-player mode the game will employ in all its split-screen glory. Very interesting and should be a major feature of the final game.

Once we'd digested this choice selection of media, we turned to matters of greater import, including: Nintendo's stance on violent games, struggling third-party support for GameCube, the appeal of Zelda, and Mr. Miyamoto's philosophical relationship with dog trainers. No, really.

Without further ado, here's the full transcript:

Can you tell us a little about the concept behind the use of wind in the game?

Miyamoto:
We initially came up with the idea of oceans and how Link can move - so we thought, why don't we use a ship to ferry him? And in order to do this we needed to have wind, and so we gave the player some control over the wind. That's how we came up with the idea.

We were thinking in terms of the advancement of technology, and while many people focus upon more beautiful graphics, we really wanted to make use of the technology to advance the other areas no-one else was thinking about. And that happened to be the control of the wind, by taking advantage of the high performance GameCube. It's unlike anything else out there.

Were there any ideas or elements you perhaps didn't have time to put in this time?

Miyamoto:
First of all, due to time restraints, we had to leave out two stages, which included dungeons. Other than that, most of the ideas were incorporated into the final game.

The new style of Zelda is a radical change and when first shown it sent shockwaves through the industry. With the news of Mario 128 can we expect the same kind of shock?

Miyamoto:
We never intended to cause any shockwaves, but we are always trying to make something new. We are, of course, trying to be consistent, but create something new. And with Wind Waker, we were making a new Link. We were confronted with problems by going ahead with making a realistic looking Link initially, and were a little uncomfortable with this. Realistic Link would be expected to move in accordance with how he would in the real world, but in terms of the game that was unnatural, even though in the real world it would be natural. If Link looks and moves realistically, that doesn't necessarily make a good game.

That's the basic argument we had while forming the Link character into its current shape. Talking now about Mario 128, we haven't come to the specific point yet where we've determined how the Mario character will look. I don't plan to create any shockwaves - I'm just always thinking about making perfect gameplay

Has everybody here played the game?

All:
Yes!

Miyamoto: Didn't you feel that it felt very natural to control?

All:Yes!

Miyamoto: Phew! [laughs]

Now that you've created the graphic and gameplay engine for Wind Waker, are you going to re-use it?

Miyamoto:
It is now taking a long time to come up with the basic engine for whatever we're working on, so if we can make use of existing technology, that's obviously better for me as a producer. As a producer and a games designer, I'm hopeful we can make use of the Wind Waker engine for future games. And since the functionality of the GC is so high I'm sure this will be the case.

Aonuma: We didn't have anything major left over when we finished Wind Waker, but some of the ideas we had that didn't make it into Wind Waker are already integrated into some of our next projects which may or may not be making use of the Wind Waker engine. Is this going to be the new Zelda game? I cannot commit to that.

Given the child-like look of the game versus mass-market thirst for realism, do you see any problems reaching a large-scale audience? How will Zelda appeal?

Miyamoto:
We have very popular cartoon movie maker in Japan who is appealing to adults and children alike, and many fans of these animated movies are parents. I don't believe making use of the cartoon style of graphics in Wind Waker is any kind of handicap.

More importantly for Nintendo, we are always trying to produce a variety of different things for a variety of audiences.

The games industry in Japan is suffering hard times and there is a lot of hardship. But on the other hand, looking at the movie industry, we have had different films that have stimulated the market. I don't think it's a good idea just to focus on the games industry. If everybody is getting on the same bandwagon and doing the same thing, that is just minimising and shrinking the market.

What is more important for game design is coming up with unique ideas rather than coming up with something similar - that's boring.

What influences did you have while making the game. What were you watching, reading, doing it in your spare time that inspired creativity?

Miyamoto:
We needed to do a lot of different things to stimulate us. When I'm asked that question, I have to say I'm always thinking about games and always communicating those ideas. First and foremost it's important to do things other than games. Nintendo is trying to sell it's own games to existing users, and it's really important for us to appeal to non-gamers in order to expand the market.

What's important for us is building relationships with people in other industries. I have a garden nowadays, so I have a relationship with a professional gardener, and maybe you may not believe it, but I also have relationships with dog trainers, and have some serious conversations about: "What does 'Dog' mean?"

[everyone laughs]

Aonuma: Most days I have to stay in the office until late at night and I don't think that's a very good idea in my experience. So I'm now trying to do new things and take on new challenges. Recently I had a child, a baby boy, and now I'm trying to find new challenges.

It's true to say that I had a month's paternal leave, so if I hadn't taken that maybe Europe could have had Wind Waker earlier! [laughs]

Last year you said Mario Kart was giving you the most trouble of all the games you were working on. Have you resolved this trouble and can you tell us anything about it.

Miyamoto:
First of all, Mario Kart was not in today's film, but that's not because it isn't completed, but rather we want to show it at E3. We don't have anything further to say about it. I hate to admit this, but we were so focussed on Wind Waker, we couldn't share resources with Mario Kart.

In previous years, the games Nintendo made were the biggest-selling, most popular mainstream titles on the planet. But tastes have changed and that isn't necessarily the case anymore. Certainly, the biggest game in the West is the ultra-violent GTA: Vice City, so what are your thoughts on such a violent game being so popular, and where do you feel Nintendo now fits into the market in terms of games and business?

Miyamoto:
That's a tough question and I really don't have any quick answer. It's obviously very good business sense to make something that is popular in the market but it's not that simple for Nintendo. Nintendo does not make violent games like that.

We are talking about the mass audience, and many people have different their own ways of making use of entertainment. We as the maker always have a responsibility over how our products are used by the mass market. There are reasons why no companies are willing to market GTA as their product in Japan. At least people have a sense of the danger of the current situation.

More importantly, we need to find something that is a substitute for Grand Theft Auto, in terms of a game that sells. It's our mission to find an alternative that is unique and non-violent. One of the answers is the connectivity offered by GameCube and GBA.

In comparison to PS2 and Xbox there's a smaller level of third-party support for GameCube. There's a perception in Europe that Nintendo faces an uphill struggle in convincing consumers to buy GameCube because of this. What are your thoughts on this?

Miyamoto:
If you are comparing the hardware, in terms of functionality you can of course make similar games, hence many titles becoming multiplatform. It may be good for audiences, but when it comes to the unique attraction of a platform, I really don't think multiplatform games help this cause.

While it is good to have many different titles on Nintendo, I think what is more important is that we make titles only Nintendo customers can play. That is why it's very important for Nintendo to come up with the best first-party titles and create unique entertainment experiences.

For example, Nintendo is heavily pursuing the connectivity between GBA and GC, and this year we are going to introduce the GB Player which lets you play GBA games on a TV via GameCube. And also, we have e-Reader in the US, so you can get data from a piece of paper. This is the unique system Nintendo is constantly trying to create and I'm positive more and more third-parties are becoming interested in these unique opportunities.

Nintendo is offering this more positively than ever. I can't really give specific examples right now, but we are working with EA on this, and developing closer ties with Namco and Sega to create these opportunities.

Do you see the key franchises like Mario and Zelda going on forever, or do you foresee a time when you won't be able to go any further. Specifically with Zelda, is there a feature you've always wanted to include but have never been able to due to technology?

Miyamoto:
I really do not think there will be an end to new ideas being incorporated into Mario and Zelda games. As for Wind Waker, we've incorporated many ideas from previous games, but I don't think people will see it as re-hashed.

Aonuma: I think if another person is going to take charge of the whole idea-making of a new Zelda game, I think it can be a totally new product. There will be no ending - we will keep thinking about Zelda in new ways.

Miyamoto: Lack of ideas isn't a concern. What is, is that Nintendo has a huge amount of important franchises. Most of our team is occupied in creating sequels and that situation is kind of troublesome. The good news is that new people are growing fast and I can trust them to working on the latest games. Therefore we still have time to work on new challenges.

But it's always the danger with a company like Nintendo, that's there's always pressure to work on sequels. But Retro has worked on Metroid, and Sega is working on F-Zero, so in that sense more and more third-parties can become involved in creating games with Nintendo's own characters. And, of course, you've seen Link feature in Namco's Soul Calibur II, so there are many, many different ways to work with third-parties.

What about Link appearing in Soul Calibur II? That's a very violent game.

Miyamoto:
We are not concerned by this. Namco was very good at identified what type of Link character should appear and what he should do. Besides, Link as a fighting character has already been established in Smash Bros.

Nintendo games have always been hugely anticipated and praised in advance. The Wind Waker is the first NCL title to receive something of a negative backlash thanks to the visual style. What were your reactions to this?

Miyamoto:
If people's reactions had been negative after they played the game that would have concerned me, but before selling the game all we can do is do our best at what we believe in. Even though there is negative opinion, at least people are talking about Wind Waker, which is better than no-one talking about it!

We have already released it in Japan, of course, but as for the US and UK releases, although the content remains the same, we have fine-tuned the game balance of the game in response to feedback from Japanese users.

Could you please explain how the different Zelda games tie together and whether Link is the same in each game.

Miyamoto:
In the long history of Hyrule, there are a number of Links which have made contributions. We'd need to write long papers indeed to cover all the background of this.

Aonuma: Many people ask me why I chose to have Link's sister for the first time. We really wanted to have a motivation for an ordinary boy to get involved in a big adventure. We thought having to rescue his sister would be a good trigger.

Previously Link has been seen as simply born to fight evil, but now the new Link is an ordinary boy who, suddenly, becomes involved in an adventure.

In past Zelda games, Zelda was still the ordinary boy but he was supposed to fight evil. The most important thing is that players are growing along with Link. To do this, Link must be ordinary to start with then must meet with destiny so it becomes clear how he can evolve.

Johnny Minkley

Wooooo! Kirby's Air Ride!!! Remember that canned N64 game? Now it's back!!! YAY!!

And Pikmin 2!! Split-screen multiplayer!! :shake: to DJ and Whitey for thinking that split screen Pikmin would "blow". NYAH NYAH!! :shake:

Great to hear more about Mario 128! I really hope they show this one at E3... *crosses fingers*

They're definitely showing Mario Kart at E3!! WOOOOT!!

And they've also tweaked Zelda a bit for its US release in response to feedback from Japanese gamers. Sounds good! I hope they don't make it too easy though...

I also like their reasoning for including Link's sister in the game.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Jaguar - 21st February 2003

I still think it will "blow". Have you played Starcraft 64? Do you have any idea how much that sucked in multi, especially compaired to the PC version with no split screen? It's a fact, just like the FACT that big foot has a beautiful singing voice!

That was Starcraft, this is Pikmin. Two very different kinds of games. I'm sure that whatever they have planned is going to be neat-o-keen.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 21st February 2003

No questions about a internet network... I'm not surprised...

Oh... good things. Kirby's Air Ride???? I thought that that game was cancelled in like 1996... and replaced eventually by Kirby 64... how strange! Cool...

Multiplayer Pikmin can work... its hardly a deep, complex strategy game like Starcraft, after all... but we'll see how well it ends up working...

Mario Kart? Sounds good... but it better be online!

Other than that, it just reafirmed that Nintendo does things its way and not the way that would lead to the best marketshare and profits... good for some things, definitely, but not so great on others... oh well. Its the way it is.

Yeah, I'm sick of worrying about it. If they want to be in third place, fine. I can't do anything about it. But I can enjoy their games!

Good for you OB1!

Anyway, yes this is a much simpler game, but when you can see everything the enemy is doing in every strategy game I've played (turn based, real time, weird), it just means you both end up powering up until the end where a big, yet very dull and too perfectly even, matchup takes place, and the whole game ends when either the reset button is pressed or one player's last surviving unit takes half an hour to wipe out the enemy base. Of course, the only base bit here is the onions, which are indestructable, so it's all just random who would win the game depending on who wins the large battle they both saw a mile away. I'm telling ya, they should implement a system link.

They should, but they probably won't. Don't be too quick to pass judgement on Pikmin 2's multiplayer. We don't even know how it's going to work.

Here's more info from ign:

Quote:February 21, 2003 - Earlier today Nintendo producer/director Shigeru Miyamoto and director Eiji Aonuma showed off two new GameCube projects to the European press. The first, Kirby's Air Ride, a unique, colorful 3D romp which may or may not be based on the cancelled N64 game of the same name, was described as sickeningly cute. No further details were revealed.
The other, the previously revealed but little known Pikmin 2, was said to look nearly identical to the original game.

Pikmin, released last year for GameCube, is Nintendo's attempt at a strategy game of sorts. It starred players as a marooned space man who must meet and then command an army of alien creatures, the Pikmin, to do his bidding and help him escape the oxygen-less planet.

Pikmin 2, according to reports, will at least have a new split-screen multiplayer mode in which two players can manipulate the environments, and the Pikmin, at once. Apparently the hero will now also be able to carry items from place to place.

More details for both games will likely be unveiled next week. Stay tuned.

Manipulate the environments and the Pikmin at once?? Hmm... I wonder how that's going to work.

Yeah, you're right, I'll just wait and see. But I will put it on record that I have my doubts... I will say though that if the multiplayer is co-op, I'm sure it'll be great fun. Coop split screened strategy doesn't suffer the standard boringness that vs split screen does.

Manipulate the environment eh? Closest I've seen is tearing down a wall or building a bridge, which doesn't really have outflowing affect on surroundings. Do we get to bomb hills down to level land, plant all sorts of plantlife, and carve out paths for water to flow? That would rock.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - eXisTenZe - 21st February 2003

Talk about Pikmin here, I like this song called, Ai no uta, on the Japanese ver. of the game. :)

Laser Link had that song in his sig for some time, but I don't think it's actually IN the Japanese version of the game. In fact, I'm almost certain that it was a song written AFTER the game was released, based on it.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 22nd February 2003

Quote:Miyamoto: If people's reactions had been negative after they played the game that would have concerned me, but before selling the game all we can do is do our best at what we believe in.

No.

No!

Nooooooooo!

This is Miyamoto's problem. The point of the video game industry is not to please the people that buy the game, but to have MORE people buy the game. Sure, the quality of the game can extend the life of a franchise (this is why Mario and Link have not died yet), but sales are ABSOLUTELY dependent upon people's reactions BEFORE playing the game, and you can't go around having everyone play the game. Some games just aren't instantly enjoyable, while other short impressions are tainted by these preconceived ideas. Thus, you must impress the mass consumers instantly. Not deter. Nor pander. Nor reject. It's sad that the very thing that makes me love Nintendo is the very thing that makes the company 3rd place in the United States.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 22nd February 2003

Let me quote him some more:

Quote:Miyamoto: We never intended to cause any shockwaves, but we are always trying to make something new. We are, of course, trying to be consistent, but create something new. And with Wind Waker, we were making a new Link. We were confronted with problems by going ahead with making a realistic looking Link initially, and were a little uncomfortable with this. Realistic Link would be expected to move in accordance with how he would in the real world, but in terms of the game that was unnatural, even though in the real world it would be natural. If Link looks and moves realistically, that doesn't necessarily make a good game.

That's the basic argument we had while forming the Link character into its current shape. Talking now about Mario 128, we haven't come to the specific point yet where we've determined how the Mario character will look. I don't plan to create any shockwaves - I'm just always thinking about making perfect gameplay

Quote:
Miyamoto: We have very popular cartoon movie maker in Japan who is appealing to adults and children alike, and many fans of these animated movies are parents. I don't believe making use of the cartoon style of graphics in Wind Waker is any kind of handicap.

More importantly for Nintendo, we are always trying to produce a variety of different things for a variety of audiences.

The games industry in Japan is suffering hard times and there is a lot of hardship. But on the other hand, looking at the movie industry, we have had different films that have stimulated the market. I don't think it's a good idea just to focus on the games industry. If everybody is getting on the same bandwagon and doing the same thing, that is just minimising and shrinking the market.

What is more important for game design is coming up with unique ideas rather than coming up with something similar - that's boring.

The man just wants to bring something fresh to the table. The video game industry is stagnant, filled with copy-cats and very little innovation, and people still reject change. It's very sad, but I'm glad that Nintendo is brave enough to make some radical changes and innovations, which if far more important than selling more copies.

Quote:Originally posted by Nintendarse
No.

No!

Nooooooooo!

This is Miyamoto's problem. The point of the video game industry is not to please the people that buy the game, but to have MORE people buy the game. Sure, the quality of the game can extend the life of a franchise (this is why Mario and Link have not died yet), but sales are ABSOLUTELY dependent upon people's reactions BEFORE playing the game, and you can't go around having everyone play the game. Some games just aren't instantly enjoyable, while other short impressions are tainted by these preconceived ideas. Thus, you must impress the mass consumers instantly. Not deter. Nor pander. Nor reject. It's sad that the very thing that makes me love Nintendo is the very thing that makes the company 3rd place in the United States.

The cel-shaded look has been well-received in Japan, but not in the western world. If Nintendo were to take your advice then their innovation would all but dissapear, and then all we would be left with are graphical improvements over past games. It's very unfortunate the so many people in this country can't stand anything new and original, but I'd rather see Nintendo die trying to enliven the industry with innovative and original titles than see the market continue down this stale and repetitive path.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 22nd February 2003

Miyamoto clearly doesn't seem to care about the public opinion of his games... which is both why they are so unique and almost always great, and why in the last few years Nintendo has been falling farther and farther behind...

No, WW's look clearly is accepted in Japan... but still, the game didn't sell as well there as it should have... like Metroid here -- the game was great and people loved the look, but it sold poorly... or Eternal Darkness...

Nintendo has problems everywhere, and it just can't be all blamed on graphics or game styles... but it is a part of it, of course. Other problems account for the rest of the reason they are behind.

Quote:The cel-shaded look has been well-received in Japan, but not in the western world. If Nintendo were to take your advice then their innovation would all but dissapear, and then all we would be left with are graphical improvements over past games.

Yeah. Riiiight.... that statement there is just so dumb that I don't know how to begin...

Umm... so wanting them to make games that would be immediately accepted in the western world is a terrible idea that kills innovation? Do you honestly believe that? Its absurd... completely ridiculous. It would help fore them to at least make an effort at it... though much better marketing and doing more to change the not too good public opinion of Nintendo needs to be done too...

Quote: It's very unfortunate the so many people in this country can't stand anything new and original, but I'd rather see Nintendo die trying to enliven the industry with innovative and original titles than see the market continue down this stale and repetitive path.

Um, I just don't see how you think that people hate it just because its different... I don't know who you are referring to there, honestly. It sure doesn't have anything to do with why I don't like the graphics in WW... as I've explained way too many times and won't do again right now.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Lord Neo - 22nd February 2003

I have to say that I agree with OB1 here. I would also rather see Nintendo die trying to introduce inovative new ideas than have them re-hash what they or someone else has found popular over and over again.
I always like the style of Celda, and it looked even better after they changed Link. I hope people just give the game a chance. Yes Eye Candy is nice but some developers put to much effort into graphics and then the game itself sucks. If people really cared aboud graphics that much then why do so many people still play 8-Bit and 16-Bit games. I wish we were more like Japan in the West, Obviously graphics are not that pick a concern there, if they had would Dragon Quest VII have been the biggest selling game for PSX in Japan.
He mentioned Mario Kart being unveiled at E3, hopefully they will unveil it along with a network adapter and make it an online game
I didn't mind the split screen aspect of StarCraft 64, I was often to busy trying to build and manage my forces to be spying on the other player. What I didn't like about it was the way the game performed on N64(the controls and such). The split screen thing is an issue with every type of game anyways, people can look at other's screens during shooters to see where they are, is that not similar to looking at someone else's screen on a RTS game

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2003

It's similar, but looking at the other person's screen in an FPS doesn't put the game into a stale mate. In an FPS, all it does is kill any chance of a good sniper game (never said I was a huge fan of split screen FPS here). Still, minus that it's still a very fun experience and at times that aspect can actually add some things to the game. However, RTS and TBS games split screened tend to kill all the fun. You are the exception to the rule in that you actually didn't look at the other person's screen. However, most people see both parts of the screen at once, whether they want to or not, so the whole thing gets very dull. You know exactly where their forces are, so you send them the other way, they see that, and move their forces to block, and then they see that, and move them the other way, and it keeps up like that until they actually meet, at which point it's very likely both forces will just wipe each other out and you end up back at the start of the match pretty much.

Quote:Miyamoto clearly doesn't seem to care about the public opinion of his games... which is both why they are so unique and almost always great, and why in the last few years Nintendo has been falling farther and farther behind...

No, WW's look clearly is accepted in Japan... but still, the game didn't sell as well there as it should have... like Metroid here -- the game was great and people loved the look, but it sold poorly... or Eternal Darkness...

Nintendo has problems everywhere, and it just can't be all blamed on graphics or game styles... but it is a part of it, of course. Other problems account for the rest of the reason they are behind.

Miyamoto doesn't care about the public opinion on his games? You're on crack. In fact, he was very surprised by the negative reception of WW here in the states. They're all for it in Japan, but not over here. Why would he be surprised by this if he didn't care?

Quote:Yeah. Riiiight.... that statement there is just so dumb that I don't know how to begin...

Umm... so wanting them to make games that would be immediately accepted in the western world is a terrible idea that kills innovation? Do you honestly believe that? Its absurd... completely ridiculous. It would help fore them to at least make an effort at it... though much better marketing and doing more to change the not too good public opinion of Nintendo needs to be done too...

How is it dumb? It's completely true! The ones that complain about WW's look only want OoT but with better graphics! Do you deny that? Come on, now.

Quote:Um, I just don't see how you think that people hate it just because its different... I don't know who you are referring to there, honestly. It sure doesn't have anything to do with why I don't like the graphics in WW... as I've explained way too many times and won't do again right now.

So you don't hate it beacause it's different... you simply hate it because it looks different. Erm

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2003

What I get from the interview is that Miyamoto was likely very confused about the questions myself.

Here's what I think he was thinking when his translator told him the question "What about Link appearing in Soul Calibur II? That's a very violent game.".

Miyamoto's translated thoughts: Violent? But Link kills stuff all the time... Maybe they mean it's a fighting game and they find that weird...

So then he answers that Link has already been established as a fighting character in SSB. That answer doesn't make sense as an answer to us, because come on, Peach and Yoshi were ALSO established as fighting characters in that series. That answer only makes sense if he heard it as in "Fighting games aren't really Link's thing, what's he doing in one?".

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 22nd February 2003

Quote:Miyamoto doesn't care about the public opinion on his games? You're on crack. In fact, he was very surprised by the negative reception of WW here in the states. They're all for it in Japan, but not over here. Why would he be surprised by this if he didn't care?

Okay... so he does care about public opinion. But not public opinion in the western world... or, at least, he has no clue what public opinion here is. Because if he did understand western public opinion, he would have expected exactly the reaction that WW got...

Quote:How is it dumb? It's completely true! The ones that complain about WW's look only want OoT but with better graphics! Do you deny that? Come on, now.

I mean I have nothing against innovating in games, as I'd hope you know... but in Zelda that graphic style just doesn't work at all. It has nothing to do with innovation... I just dislike it.

Anyway... some things shouldn't be changed.

Quote:So you don't hate it beacause it's different... you simply hate it because it looks different.

Umm... well, sort of... but its not just the fact that the graphics were changed. The graphics changed dramatically from the SNES to the GB to the N64 and I liked those changes... I just don't like the look of this one... not just because its different... sure thats part of it, but I know they could have changed the style while still making it look like a Zelda game should... they didn't...

Oh, and DJ, yeah that answer was kind of strange...

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Weltall - 22nd February 2003

This should be posted on the front page ;)

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - big guy - 22nd February 2003

i think that every announced gameplay idea would have worked just fine with the style and link model from the GB manuals, IMO. it would have been the best path to take because it would allow OB1's so called innovation, in that the graphics would be different from OoT's and it would allow the game concepts that have been introduced in WW, while not alienating the likes of ABF and myself to the games looks.

"So-called" innovation? If WW looked more like the SW2001 demo then it would be a completely different game, no doubt about it. They didn't simply replace all of the models and environments with cartoons. It's not just a new coat of paint. The cartoony graphics have a large impact on gameplay.

I got the latest EGM in the mail today, and the game got two 10's and one 9.5. They've been as critical of the new look as you guys, but now that they've played the games they too admit that they wouldn't want it any other way.

Quote:Umm... well, sort of... but its not just the fact that the graphics were changed. The graphics changed dramatically from the SNES to the GB to the N64 and I liked those changes... I just don't like the look of this one... not just because its different... sure thats part of it, but I know they could have changed the style while still making it look like a Zelda game should... they didn't...

Oh, and DJ, yeah that answer was kind of strange...

The style didn't change from the SNES to GB games.

Quote:Okay... so he does care about public opinion. But not public opinion in the western world... or, at least, he has no clue what public opinion here is. Because if he did understand western public opinion, he would have expected exactly the reaction that WW got...

It's much more likely that he doesn't quite understand exactly what Western audiences want. Most of us want hyper-realism, and lots of violence. Screw that cartoon shit! That's for babies!

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - A Black Falcon - 23rd February 2003

Quote:"So-called" innovation? If WW looked more like the SW2001 demo then it would be a completely different game, no doubt about it. They didn't simply replace all of the models and environments with cartoons. It's not just a new coat of paint. The cartoony graphics have a large impact on gameplay.

Maybe... but not totally different. After all, WW gameplay is similar to OoT's, but improved... I'd imagine that a more realistic game would do the same, but in a different way...

Quote:The style didn't change from the SNES to GB games.

Yes it did... Link looks VERY different in LA then he did in LttP (ingame)... and LA looks slightly less cartoonish than LttP did...

Quote:It's much more likely that he doesn't quite understand exactly what Western audiences want. Most of us want hyper-realism, and lots of violence. Screw that cartoon shit! That's for babies!

Yes... he just doesn't understand western audiences. Unfortunately, a lot of people do feel exactly that way... its stupid that they do, but they do... and he doesn't seem to get that.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 23rd February 2003

I swear I posted my argument, but it got deleted. And OB1's reaction to my first post stated that I had taken Miyamoto out of context. Some moderators are doing funky things behind my back. :cuss:

We must remember when we say words like "innovation," "new," and, "original," these words are defined relative to the audience. Nothing is objectively "new." For example: the lightbulb. You show a lightbulb to a man in Europe in the year 1700 and he is going to flip his lid. You show the same lightbulb to the equivalent of this man in the year 2003 and you'd get a completely different response. The same applies for "The Matrix" for the years 1999 and 2003.

Thus, innovation largely has to do with the existing, in that innovation looks at what the current trends are, the current marketplace is, and does something that is accurately beyond the horizon of these trends. This "accurately" is what differentiates the "innovative" from the "different." Perhaps WW is innovative, but in the wrong direction for the audience. The intent of innovation is to get a big "WOW" out of the audience, and the sales numbers for Zelda in Japan indicate that this "WOW" does not exist. Thus, relative to the perception audience, Zelda:WW is not innovative...and the perception of the audience is really what matters.

I have to agree with OB1 in that Nintendo should continue to innovate, but it should do so knowing that it must innovate relative to the audience. Not OB1.

I must also disagree with the statement that if Nintendo followed my advice that there would only be derivative knockoffs. Knockoffs are what I clearly rejected when I stated that Nintendo must not pander to the audience. I just find it hard to believe that you can't innovate without being inconsiderate of your audience. Surely, the lightbulb was innovative?

...WW is a completely different game? I doubt that. Have you played it? Peer Schneider of IGN states in his video preview, "...It's vintage Zelda. The gameplay is just like it used to be...yes it has cartoon elements,...but it won't get on your nerves." I have a hard time believing that a SW20002 Zelda game would stray any more from the Zelda gameplay. In addition, why must Nintendo innovate in a direction that disagrees with the audience when it could innovate the Zelda gameplay in a direction that agrees with the audience? Is "The Matrix" innovative? Is the lightbulb innovative? The consideration of the audience is what differentiates lightbulbe from Wind Waker.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - OB1 - 23rd February 2003

Quote:Maybe... but not totally different. After all, WW gameplay is similar to OoT's, but improved... I'd imagine that a more realistic game would do the same, but in a different way...

Sure, it would have been a very different game.

Quote:Yes it did... Link looks VERY different in LA then he did in LttP (ingame)... and LA looks slightly less cartoonish than LttP did...

They changed the character model a bit. That's it.

Quote:Thus, innovation largely has to do with the existing, in that innovation looks at what the current trends are, the current marketplace is, and does something that is accurately beyond the horizon of these trends. This "accurately" is what differentiates the "innovative" from the "different." Perhaps WW is innovative, but in the wrong direction for the audience. The intent of innovation is to get a big "WOW" out of the audience, and the sales numbers for Zelda in Japan indicate that this "WOW" does not exist. Thus, relative to the perception audience, Zelda:WW is not innovative...and the perception of the audience is really what matters.

The game isn't selling poorly in Japan because of the visual style. The Japanese weren''t turned off by the great visual style of WW as most Westerners were. The Gamecube is just terribly unpopular over there. Look at Mario Sunshine's sales. That game was the perfect evolution of Mario 64 (which was a huge seller in Japan), but it sold like crap (for a Mario game). Part of that was because of Nintendo's bad marketing (some people thought that it was some sort of weird-ass paint game), but also because of the Gamecube's inpopularity over there.

Quote:I have to agree with OB1 in that Nintendo should continue to innovate, but it should do so knowing that it must innovate relative to the audience. Not OB1.

What? That makes no sense whatsoever. Hey I think it would be great if Nintendo made games specifically with my tastes in mind, but that's not going to happen any time soon. And believe it or not, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that WW's visual change was quite innovative. Most of the gaming media shares my views on this subject.

Quote:...WW is a completely different game? I doubt that. Have you played it? Peer Schneider of IGN states in his video preview, "...It's vintage Zelda. The gameplay is just like it used to be...yes it has cartoon elements,...but it won't get on your nerves." I have a hard time believing that a SW20002 Zelda game would stray any more from the Zelda gameplay. In addition, why must Nintendo innovate in a direction that disagrees with the audience when it could innovate the Zelda gameplay in a direction that agrees with the audience?

WTF is with this whole lightbulb analogy? It doesn't make any sense. And the gameplay has indeed changed quite a bit because of the graphics (of course it's still Zelda, but that doesn't mean that it's identical to OoT in every way). The way Link controls, the way fights were designed (flipping over an enemy real fast and landing right behind him and slashing him with your sword would look ridiculous if it were a more realistic-looking game), and even the dungeon designs were built around the visual style. Nintendo didn't just change the look of the game because they thought it would be nifty. This isn't just OoT cel-shaded. It's the difference between live-action and animation. There are certain things that you can do in animation that would look out of place in a live-action feature. The same applies to Wind Waker. Everything in Zelda obeys the laws of that world's cartoon physics.

Quote:Is "The Matrix" innovative?

No, not really. All of that cool stuff that you love in "The Matrix" was taken directly from anime such as "Ghost in the Shell", and live-action Hong Kong films like John Woo's "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" (among many others). The only real innovation in that movie was taking techniques from Japanese animation and doing it in live-action.

Obviously, you've stopped listening to my arguments (or at least processing them), and right about now, I'm about to do the same thing...counting backwards from 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1

Okay.

Calm.

Let's do this one point at a time:

Innovation

Resolved: Is Wind Waker Innovative?

As I understand, you are arguing that, yes, Wind Waker is innovative.

I am arguing essentially the opposite. My argument is based on my observation that innovation is not an absolute quantity (42, for example, is an absolute quantity). Like "fun," innovation is subjective.

Please, make your point. Then I will make mine.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - big guy - 23rd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
[B]"So-called" innovation? If WW looked more like the SW2001 demo then it would be a completely different game, no doubt about it. They didn't simply replace all of the models and environments with cartoons. It's not just a new coat of paint. The cartoony graphics have a large impact on gameplay.

if you'll notice in my post i never once said that it should look like the spaceworld demo. and if you bother to read it, you'll also see that the style revision i was proposing would, in my opinion, not look out of place with all of the cartoony happanings in the game, and would, in fact, add to them.

the "so called innovation" line, was just me taking a strategy from you, in that i only took half of your argument and then tried to counter it. i'm well aware that you think the gameplay revisions are the true innovations here, but you also think that the gameplay could not be accomplished without the new graphics style. therefore you think that the cartoon style is also innovative. i took that part of your argument, that the graphics are innovative, and ignored the rest of your argument, for the sake of making you look shallow, and only concerned with graphics, which, as i stated earlier, is something that you do all the time in these debates.

and before you try to counter that you only look at half of an argument, realize that the post i've quoted demonstrates it perfectly in that you didn't bother to notice my entire argument, and formed the opinion that i was once again whining that the game does not look like the spaceworld demo even though i never mentioned the words "space" "world" or "demo".

i really hope this makes sense, i just woke up.

If I responded to each and every comment from every single individual here then I would have to spend all of my free time at Tendo City. When I respond to certain comments I also respond to other comments so that I can kill two birds with one stone. I know that you said that you would have wanted WW to look more like Zelda in the GB manuals, but you also said that the game is not innovative as did a few other people who do want it to look more like the SW 2001 demo. You're right, they could have made the same kind of game with the visual style of from the GB manuals, but that would pretty much just be changing Link's model.

Obviously, you've stopped listening to my arguments (or at least processing them), and right about now, I'm about to do the same thing...counting backwards from 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1

Perhaps if you made sense it would be easier to follow what you're attempting to say. Hudson is right, you make less and less sense with each post.

Quote:Okay.

Calm.

Let's do this one point at a time:

Innovation

Resolved: Is Wind Waker Innovative?

As I understand, you are arguing that, yes, Wind Waker is innovative.

I am arguing essentially the opposite. My argument is based on my observation that innovation is not an absolute quantity (42, for example, is an absolute quantity). Like "fun," innovation is subjective.

Please, make your point. Then I will make mine.

So... you're point is that all of this is subjective...

Well hot damn, kids! I think he's on to something!!

I know it's my fault that I can't properly communicate my idea, but you're not making it easier for me with your sarcasm.

The line of logic goes like this:

Innovation is subjective (which, in Physics terms, is "relative")
We must choose a reference frame (like in physics)
The reference frame should be the consumer
From th reference frame of the consumer, Zelda is not innovative
Therefore, for all intents and purposes, Zelda is not innovative.

Please don't mock me. I'm trying here, but clearly I'm struggling with th idea as well.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Dark Lord Neo - 23rd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
If I responded to each and every comment from every single individual here then I would have to spend all of my free time at Tendo City..

With that post count it looks like you already do

I wouldn't say WW is innovative because it uses a new graphical style... the gameplay sure isn't innovative... is it different than the gameplay in OoT/MM? Yes... but not so dramatically that its truly innovative... its just a small change from that game. As for the graphics... I don't see how making them in a cartoon style is innovative... different? Sure... but innovation? No... plenty of games before have used cartoon-styled graphics...

Oh... and while Nintendarse's posts aren't easy to follow, they make more sense than yours do, OB1...

Quote:Sure, it would have been a very different game.

No, no, no! It would have been different, sure... but not very different...

Quote:They changed the character model a bit. That's it.

I'd say it was a bit more than that... Link looks totally different... and the world? More similar, but still not the same as LttP.

Quote:The game isn't selling poorly in Japan because of the visual style. The Japanese weren''t turned off by the great visual style of WW as most Westerners were. The Gamecube is just terribly unpopular over there. Look at Mario Sunshine's sales. That game was the perfect evolution of Mario 64 (which was a huge seller in Japan), but it sold like crap (for a Mario game). Part of that was because of Nintendo's bad marketing (some people thought that it was some sort of weird-ass paint game), but also because of the Gamecube's inpopularity over there.

Well... yes. Between poor public opinion and abysmal marketing, great Nintendo games have failed at retail, sure...

Quote:What? That makes no sense whatsoever. Hey I think it would be great if Nintendo made games specifically with my tastes in mind, but that's not going to happen any time soon. And believe it or not, I'm not the only person in the world who thinks that WW's visual change was quite innovative. Most of the gaming media shares my views on this subject.

You sure seem to think that Nintendo should do things according to your wishes...

Quote:WTF is with this whole lightbulb analogy? It doesn't make any sense. And the gameplay has indeed changed quite a bit because of the graphics (of course it's still Zelda, but that doesn't mean that it's identical to OoT in every way). The way Link controls, the way fights were designed (flipping over an enemy real fast and landing right behind him and slashing him with your sword would look ridiculous if it were a more realistic-looking game), and even the dungeon designs were built around the visual style. Nintendo didn't just change the look of the game because they thought it would be nifty. This isn't just OoT cel-shaded. It's the difference between live-action and animation. There are certain things that you can do in animation that would look out of place in a live-action feature. The same applies to Wind Waker. Everything in Zelda obeys the laws of that world's cartoon physics.

That analogy made sense... once you read it and deciphered it...

I just don't see how WW is so dramatically innovative when it, at heart, is just a improved version of OoT's system... that doesn't seem to qualify as innovation to me... it was innovative in OoT, but not now... it does change things, but not hugely...

Quote:I know that you said that you would have wanted WW to look more like Zelda in the GB manuals, but you also said that the game is not innovative as did a few other people who do want it to look more like the SW 2001 demo. You're right, they could have made the same kind of game with the visual style of from the GB manuals, but that would pretty much just be changing Link's model.

No it wouldn't... I don't think that a game based on that graphical style would be all cel-shaded like WW is... and it'd be better for it... Yes, that probably would have been a much better style for Nintendo to use. Just graphical? Partly... but graphics, as you say OB1, affect many parts of the game... not so dramatically as you want to think, but they do. And that style was way better than the one they used... the game itsself? It'd probably end up similar... but it'd be better for it with graphics that would actually be one that, IMO, are right for a Zelda game... unlike the ones that it has... I'd still prefer the OoT-ish spaceworld '01 graphics most of all, but ones based on the GB games would be worlds better than what we got...

This is Nintendarse's newer comment.

Quote:Innovation is subjective (which, in Physics terms, is "relative")

Hmm... I don't know. Is innovation subjective? Mostly... but it doesn't require the consumer recognising that its innovative for it to be innovative. Plenty of things have been ignored by consumers and were innovative... also, innovation usually (not always, but usually) connotates a positive emotion about the game... unlike what general public opinion is about Zelda WW. So its not innovative to them... is it innovative otherwise? Not especially, given how it doesn't really do anything truly new...

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - big guy - 23rd February 2003

they could definately have still cell shaded it with GB manual style link. and it would have been more than just a swapping of links model, everything would have to have been made more realistic to match it...still cartoony, to be sure, but a more realistic cartoon.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Lord Neo
With that post count it looks like you already do

That's from coming here for over three years, bubba.

I know it's my fault that I can't properly communicate my idea, but you're not making it easier for me with your sarcasm.

The line of logic goes like this:

Innovation is subjective (which, in Physics terms, is "relative")

Please don't mock me. I'm trying here, but clearly I'm struggling with th idea as well.

Ok, ok.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I wouldn't say WW is innovative because it uses a new graphical style... the gameplay sure isn't innovative... is it different than the gameplay in OoT/MM? Yes... but not so dramatically that its truly innovative... its just a small change from that game. As for the graphics... I don't see how making them in a cartoon style is innovative... different? Sure... but innovation? No... plenty of games before have used cartoon-styled graphics...

But none have created a truley believable, interactive cartoon.

Quote:Oh... and while Nintendarse's posts aren't easy to follow, they make more sense than yours do, OB1...

You're just mad that you're always so wrong and can never effectively prove your points. :shake: :p

Quote:You sure seem to think that Nintendo should do things according to your wishes...

Isn't that what everybody wants? Don't you want Nintendo to offer online play with their games so that you can play against (and get beaten by) other people across the globe?

Quote:I just don't see how WW is so dramatically innovative when it, at heart, is just a improved version of OoT's system... that doesn't seem to qualify as innovation to me... it was innovative in OoT, but not now... it does change things, but not hugely...

Naturally OoT is more of an innovation than WW is since it was the first 3-D Zelda game. But WW managed to create a fully interactive cartoon, and that's not just a cosmetic change. Like Miyamoto has clearly explained in the past, the new visual style gave the dev team more freedom with the gameplay, and I'm sure you'll know what he's talking about once you get the game.

Quote:No it wouldn't... I don't think that a game based on that graphical style would be all cel-shaded like WW is... and it'd be better for it... Yes, that probably would have been a much better style for Nintendo to use. Just graphical? Partly... but graphics, as you say OB1, affect many parts of the game... not so dramatically as you want to think, but they do. And that style was way better than the one they used... the game itsself? It'd probably end up similar... but it'd be better for it with graphics that would actually be one that, IMO, are right for a Zelda game... unlike the ones that it has... I'd still prefer the OoT-ish spaceworld '01 graphics most of all, but ones based on the GB games would be worlds better than what we got...

Well that's your problem then. You don't have to like the visual style, that's perfectly fine. I myself can't stand the art in most PC RPGs (hello?? There are other things to draw inspiration from other than D&D) and that lame-ass Gauntlet franchise that you love so much (*shudder*). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just don't call the visual style "wrong" since the man behind the change is the same person that created the friggin' franchise.

Quote:Hmm... I don't know. Is innovation subjective? Mostly... but it doesn't require the consumer recognising that its innovative for it to be innovative. Plenty of things have been ignored by consumers and were innovative... also, innovation usually (not always, but usually) connotates a positive emotion about the game... unlike what general public opinion is about Zelda WW. So its not innovative to them... is it innovative otherwise? Not especially, given how it doesn't really do anything truly new...

The general public doesn't have to like something in order for it to be considered innovative. Take the great, legendary Japanese director Akira Kurosawa for example. He broke molds, created new filming techniques, and inspired countless number of directors (including George Lucas, Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Steven Spielburg, just to name a few). He changed the face of filmmaking with his incredible visual style, pacing, camera techniques, and direction. Yet for the first few decades of his carreer he was slammed by critics and audiences in his home country because his movies were so non-traditional, and never got the respect that he deserved until his films were introduced to audiences outside of Japan (after that people in Japan started warming up to him). He is now considered to be one of the most influential and innovative directors who ever lived. But I guess that his movies weren't innovative until people started accepting them, right? Rolleyes

I'll respond to the rest later... but your last comment just made no sense at all... um, you agree with me and then say i disagreed with you... Confused

I said this.
Quote:Mostly... but it doesn't require the consumer recognising that its innovative for it to be innovative.

Umm... yeah, I'm sure that when I said that I meant that it has to be publicly accepted to be innovative. Yup.

Quote:He is now considered to be one of the most influential and innovative directors who ever lived. But I guess that his movies weren't innovative until people started accepting them, right?

You're absolutely correct. And that is where the popularity v. innovative relationship model (the one I'm talking about) hits a snag...when we have hindsight. Although it can be explained:

Because we set our reference frame to be the percepton consumer, certain factors seem to slip through the cracks. I mean, objectively (with hindsight), the man was innovative, but, if you're strictly following the relativity model, he was not perceived to be innovative until he became popular, and until that point, he was not innovative.

That didn't make sense, did it?

But, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for the sake of someone looking at innovation from a sales perspective (how much is this innovation going to excite the audience, creating more sales?), the perspective that I'm talking about works.

P.S. Has anyone here seen "Office Space?" Doesn't OB1 remind you of the "Jump to Conclusions Mat" guy?

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
I'll respond to the rest later... but your last comment just made no sense at all... um, you agree with me and then say i disagreed with you... Confused

I said this.

Umm... yeah, I'm sure that when I said that I meant that it has to be publicly accepted to be innovative. Yup.

You said "innovation usually (not always, but usually) connotates a positive emotion about the game... unlike what general public opinion is about Zelda WW. "

Am I missing something here?

You're absolutely correct. And that is where the popularity v. innovative relationship model (the one I'm talking about) hits a snag...when we have hindsight. Although it can be explained:

Because we set our reference frame to be the percepton consumer, certain factors seem to slip through the cracks. I mean, objectively (with hindsight), the man was innovative, but, if you're strictly following the relativity model, he was not perceived to be innovative until he became popular, and until that point, he was not innovative.

That didn't make sense, did it?

But, I guess what I'm trying to say is that, for the sake of someone looking at innovation from a sales perspective (how much is this innovation going to excite the audience, creating more sales?), the perspective that I'm talking about works.

P.S. Has anyone here seen "Office Space?" Doesn't OB1 remind you of the "Jump to Conclusions Mat" guy?

Innovation is innovation, even if it's not recognized. He was innovating even when no one realized it. Here's the definition of "innovation", from dictionary.com:

Quote:in·no·va·tion ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-vshn)
n.
1. The act of introducing something new.

2. Something newly introduced.

And no, there's no third definition that states "... but only if people recognize it!".

Quote:You said "innovation usually (not always, but usually) connotates a positive emotion about the game... unlike what general public opinion is about Zelda WW. "

Am I missing something here?

Um... yes? How about the fact that before I said that, I said that public recognition (and thus approval...) isn't necessary? Um... or did you only read the second half of that paragraph or something?

By what I said there, I meant that for people to RECOGNIZE it as innovation they generally have to think the product is good...

Quote:Because we set our reference frame to be the percepton consumer, certain factors seem to slip through the cracks. I mean, objectively (with hindsight), the man was innovative, but, if you're strictly following the relativity model, he was not perceived to be innovative until he became popular, and until that point, he was not innovative.

Exactly. It was always innovative, but no one knew/realized/cared until it became popular...

Quote:But none have created a truley believable, interactive cartoon.

I'd put that pretty definitely in the realm of opinion... given that a lot of games have done cartoonish stuff... I don't know which offhand, but I'm sure something has done that before... its not like Nintendo invented the idea of doing a game in a cartoonish style, after all...

Quote:You're just mad that you're always so wrong and can never effectively prove your points.

In your dreams...

Quote:Isn't that what everybody wants? Don't you want Nintendo to offer online play with their games so that you can play against (and get beaten by) other people across the globe?

Uhh... Erm

Quote: Naturally OoT is more of an innovation than WW is since it was the first 3-D Zelda game. But WW managed to create a fully interactive cartoon, and that's not just a cosmetic change. Like Miyamoto has clearly explained in the past, the new visual style gave the dev team more freedom with the gameplay, and I'm sure you'll know what he's talking about once you get the game.

We will see after its released... but I very highly doubt that its truly innovative. Different from usual? Of course... but innovative? Only if innovation involves doing stuff other people have done, but (in some ways at least) better... and I don't think it does.

Quote:Well that's your problem then. You don't have to like the visual style, that's perfectly fine. I myself can't stand the art in most PC RPGs (hello?? There are other things to draw inspiration from other than D&D) and that lame-ass Gauntlet franchise that you love so much (*shudder*). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just don't call the visual style "wrong" since the man behind the change is the same person that created the friggin' franchise.

:hammer: D&D is cool. You can never have too many D&D inspired games... as long as they're good, like they are...

Oh, and my opinion is right and yours is wrong. As usual... :) ...

In my opinion its wrong... thats the best way I can easily describe it...

If we can agree that nothing is objectively (which spans time, don't forget) new...

I must ask: What is your reference frame?

Quote:Um... yes? How about the fact that before I said that, I said that public recognition (and thus approval...) isn't necessary? Um... or did you only read the second half of that paragraph or something?

Perhaps you should learn how not to contradict yourself all of the time.

Quote:By what I said there, I meant that for people to RECOGNIZE it as innovation they generally have to think the product is good...

So... what's your point then? Why does that matter?

Quote:I'd put that pretty definitely in the realm of opinion... given that a lot of games have done cartoonish stuff... I don't know which offhand, but I'm sure something has done that before... its not like Nintendo invented the idea of doing a game in a cartoonish style, after all...

Cel-shading has been done before, but no one has ever used it as ingeniously as Nintendo has. They've truley created a fully interactive cartoon. It's all about the animation.

Quote:D&D is cool. You can never have too many D&D inspired games... as long as they're good, like they are...

Oh, and my opinion is right and yours is wrong. As usual... ...

In my opinion its wrong... thats the best way I can easily describe it...

D&D is crap. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if every single PC RPG used that theme. Guess what fellas? It's alright to break away from the D&D style!

Quote:In my opinion its wrong... thats the best way I can easily describe it...

Perhaps you'd like them to use the award-winning designs from one of your favorite games?

And let's not forget this awesome character!

One of my favorite games? Oh come on... Gauntlet Legends is a good game, but hardly one of my favorites...

As for D&D, I love the setting... and like the games. Baldur's Gate (1 or 2) and Torment are some of the best games ever... great, great games. Dark Alliance on GC is good too, for a Diablo clone... I love fantasy stuff so I like D&D... its a great classic fantasy setting. Overused? No... used a lot? Yes. But the games are mostly very good... especially the deep PC RPG's like Baldur's Gate.

[Image: Torment_line1.jpg]
The Nameless One. Main character of Planescape: Torment... IMO the game with the best story of any game ever.

Quote:Perhaps you should learn how not to contradict yourself all of the time.

Quote:So... what's your point then? Why does that matter?

I didn't contradict myself... you just don't seem to understand what I'm saying... and it matters because you are arguing about it and don't seem capable of understanding what I'm saying! I mean... I say something, then you go on and on about how I'm wrong when I'm agreeing with you on that point... I just don't get it...

What do I think? Exactly as I said.. .I really don't want to have to say it again... I've already said it 3 times!

Is innovation innovation whether its recognized or not? Well... as long as it actually does innovate, yeah... but if its not popularly accepted as a good thing, then it doesn't matter since no one will see it as innovative... or they will see it as innovation that they don't like. Both of those happen frequently... lots of truly great, innovative games aren't recognized as good by the public and are ignored and not bought... it happens all the time as I'm sure you know given how we've discussed it so many times... or do I have to mention Looking Glass again?

However... it does require SOMEONE to recognize it as innovative at some time for it to matter that the product was innovative... if no one ever sees it as such, it is technically innovation, but not relevant innovation.

I still say that the changes in Zelda TWW aren't innovative but are just more normal improvements that go in sequels... sequels can change stuff and improve games without innovating. That's what happened in WW... its a big change, but not innovative because it HAS been done before... or at least things like it have, if not exactly this.

Quote:Cel-shading has been done before, but no one has ever used it as ingeniously as Nintendo has. They've truley created a fully interactive cartoon. It's all about the animation.

I doubt it... but I'm not going to go looking for games that would fit now... I just know that while the game is clearly a great example of how a cartoonish game would look and play, I don't think this is the first time its ever been done...

Oh... one last thing, back on the D&D topic. If you hate it so much, do you like Fallout, Fallout 2, and Arcanum? Or the upcoming Lionheart? All of those are very good PC RPG games that are far from being in a standard fantasy setting...

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Sacred Jellybean - 24th February 2003

Quote:I still say that the changes in Zelda TWW aren't innovative but are just more normal improvements that go in sequels... sequels can change stuff and improve games without innovating. That's what happened in WW... its a big change, but not innovative because it HAS been done before... or at least things like it have, if not exactly this.

I'm gonna have to side with Falcon on this one. While the programmers of WW, as computer scientists, may be practicing innovation by taking an old idea and making it more efficient, that's the farthest extent of their innovation in the cel-shading perspective. I'm not saying there's no innovation AT ALL involved; I'm just saying that its significance is only limited to how well Nintendo has improved an existing idea, which, essentially, is a sequel.

Oh, and Nintendarse, I understand what you're saying completely. What I don't understand, though, is why are we using the mainstream consumer's viewpoint as our point-of-reference in the first place? I'm too lazy to trace back and see where it arose, so you just tell me why you think its important.

You may argue that Nintendo is a business, and therefore the sales/viewpoint of the majority of consumers are most important. However, if Nintendo only pandered to their audience and calculated what they thought would be sell the most, it would limit their artistic freedom. It's equivalent of what many disgruntled music fans label underground artists going mainstream and designing music based on what sells, rather than exploring their own artistic integrity -- or selling out.

Although innovation is important, I don't see why its placed on such a high pedastool. Not every game has to be a completely new and fresh idea to succeed. That would be interesting, but wouldn't leave any room for improvements on the existing ideas. How would you like it if Mario 64 was the only 3D platformer? That means saying goodbye to B~K, Rocket: Robot on Wheels, and Mario Sunshine, among others. Yeah, this is irrelevant to what we're talking about, but I thought it would be an interesting point to raise, nonetheless.

New Miyamoto interview (must read)! - Nintendarse - 24th February 2003

Jellybean- I chose the mainstream consumer's viewpoint because it is the best indicator of sales.

What I did not make clear is that when you choose the consumer as the reference frame, that doesn't mean you'e limiting innovation or "pandering." That' a different, but interconnected factor.

Let's say that popularity of image among the mainstream is as predictable and simple as the mathematical function: y=100sin(x) + x (using degrees, not radians). "y" DOES NOT equal popularity. For example "y" could be "Reality," where positive values correspond to greater reality, and negative values correspond to lesser reality. "y" could be "Focus on the self," where 0 is complete inner focus, and positive infinity is complete focus on others. Choose whatever factor you want for y, because, in reality, there are an almost infinite amount of factors. It makes sense in this example if x corresponds to the passing of time. This is a simplification.

So, let's say current popularity is at point (180,180). Pandering would be to put out a product that tries to fit (180, 180). A small amount of innovation would try to pinpoint (210,160). A largely innovative project would look at where this trend is going (positive infinity), and would look far beyond the scope of the individual which holds this pattern. The product would target(3600030, 3600080). Sure, (-10000000, 10000000) is more innovative, but it disagrees with the attitude of the mass market. It would not be easy for the mass market to accept. I applaud anyone that has the presence of mind to create such an innovative product, but it's unhealthy for a company to do this. I mean, OB1's life experience may have lead his interest curve toward WW, and WW fits as a huge advancement in his curve, but his curve is not the absolute innovation curve. In fact, I am arguing that there is no absolute "correct" interest curve. As a company responsible for making entertainment, it is Nintendo's aim to innovate in an agreeable direction for the most people possible. And I hope this graphical perspective makes this clear.

The difficulty of this modelling is that popularity is not so simple. Each individual person has an interest graph of sorts, and as soon as something innovative is experienced, the graph shifts and/or receives an acceleration. For example, once the person experiences the product at (3600030,3600080), the viewpoint completely changes. Experiencing a product that mearly improves to (3600060, 3600146) would have less impact than the change from (180,180) to (210,160), even though it "jumped" as many time units.

I hope I didn't lose anyone, but my idea is definitely based on a physics perspective. So perhaps that is the best way to explain it. This idea has taken me years to ponder over, so I don't expect anyone to understand my insane rambling for at least a month of "settling in."