Tendo City
Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... (/showthread.php?tid=3019)

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - UltraMarioMan - 24th June 2005

Say tommorow the newly dead began to rise and attack the living how do you think it would play out?
I don't think the military would be wiped out as easily as movies show. Maybe there would be some losses from early encounters but once "Shoot em in the head" became well known the military would start racking up (re)kills on large scale.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Smoke - 24th June 2005

It would depend how much it spread before people were able to put up resistance.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - EdenMaster - 24th June 2005

Step 1: I would disguise myself as one of their own and integrate into their army.

Step 2:

Step 3: PROFIT!

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2005

Yes, that would definitely be the biggest factor. If something like 75% of the people in the States got infected in a short amount of time, it'd be really hard to take down that many before that just over-ran everything.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 24th June 2005

If the living dead showed up, that many people could NOT get infested without everyone knowing. They'd be lucky to get as far as 15% infestation. A single CITY couldn't get infested without everyone on the planet knowing about it within the hour.

Hell, an outbreak of the flu makes headlines.

In real life, a zombie outbreak would only really be a major threat if it only targetted a creature the majority of people wouldn't even notice, and it didn't even behave very differently from normal (perhaps a fly) and suddenly, and simultaneously, all instances of the virus mutated to target humans. Okay, check that, it just ain't happening.

Total world domination by zombies is just very unlikely unless the zombies simply and truly can't be stopped by any human means.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2005

I know health care has come a long, long way, but a major worldwide pandemic of a currently incurable disease really could do mass casualties... and it'd spread pretty fast, with how quick worldwide travel is.

Of course, if you believe the news we have those already... West Nile Virus, anyone? (oh, I'm not saying that that is not harmful, but the hysteria you hear about those things at times is just not warranted when you look at the facts... but hey, it's the news, you just need to learn to accept that they are stupid...)

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 25th June 2005

I wasn't thinking of a disease that could spread by the air. I was thinking of the standard idea of zombie infection, spread directly by a bite or scratch like rabies. THAT could be both easily discovered and stopped, in humans and large mammals anyway. The real concern I guess would it being spread into uninhabited parts of nature unchecked.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - N-Man - 25th June 2005

What if the dead actually rose from their grave. I mean shit, this is the living dead we're talking about. Then we'd be fucked. They'd be like five trillion or something.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Great Rumbler - 25th June 2005

That's what happened in George Romero's movies, some kind of weird radiation was brought back on a spaceship and it spread over the world causing the dead to rise up. It'd be hard to get rid of that many zombies.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Smoke - 25th June 2005

I don't know about it being five trillion though. Most of the people that have died are dust by now. I wonder what would happen if it were to start spreading in a third world country though, somewhere where they couldn't put up a very good resistance.

Your fly idea got me thinking DJ, what if it were spread by mosquitoes? Malaria mutates and now creates zombies when humans are infected. At first people think it's just the flu but after a few days they die and rise again as the living dead. Or heck we could just go all the way and have the flu mutate into a zombie causing disease. Then we'd really be screwed. Still more realistic than space radiation.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - UltraMarioMan - 25th June 2005

http://www.archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead had no idea this was public domain.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 25th June 2005

There is too such thing as no such thing. Yeesh... A little skepticism goes a long way...

If they rose from their graves, well that's what I'm talking about. First of all it won't be world wide all at once. The first time it happens, a government steps in, burninates them, problem solved. And also, how exactly is this thing getting spread underground?

And yeah, we have a LOT of death but only so much of it is animatable. If we're talking skeletons rising up, or even dust, what's the difference between that and animating plain old rocks?

One thing to keep in mind with mosquitos. If the disease suddenly mutated, it could not mutate all at once. It would start out with one single instance of the mutation. This would have to be spread to other mosquitos by blood, human blood, because mosquitos feed specifically on humans and nothing else (fleas also have specific species to feed on specific other animals, like rat fleas, cat fleas, dog fleas, and human fleas, which will only feed on something other than their specific preference when forced, like if you give a cat a flea bath). You see, evolution doesn't happen simultaneously everywhere, it's sort of... slow. What I'm saying is, that zombie disease couldn't just swarm in in all mosquitos instantly, it would happen slowly. And, if it's causing people to turn into the living dead, people notice that. If it starts in Africa, well there is the issue of these people going to scientific authorities or just trying to get rid of it with a witchdoctor. That could result in a lot of zombies before someone who can see what's going on does something about it.

But anyway, the real problem would be a creature that normally has nothing to do with humans and the disease spreading amongst it's kind (the only way it could spread among it's kind without us noticing until it's too late)... well, actually in that case, encounters that cause zombie outbreaks would still be rare. Though total elimination would be near impossible in that scenario, we as humans would still notice any outbreaks really quickly, they would be very rare, and we'd clean them up pretty quickly. Not an ideal situation, but not an end of the world one either.

Here's an end of the world one. A zombie infection (and in all these cases I've assumed finding the cure is something that would take a long long time, too long) that can be transmitted by the air. Something along those lines isn't normally in sci-fi, I don't think anyway, but THAT would totally screw us. The disease would then be able to spread like the plague and infect living people without us noticing. This version would be able to kill you and then bring you back.

So anyway, there are situations that could result in total human extinction, but not the standard movie kind. I know that zombies have the amazing ability to bring the enemy into their numbers, and that's great and all, but I've played Warcraft 3 as undead many times. I'm fully aware that something like that does NOT promise victory.

Oh yes, perhaps we could talk about getting smashed by a large body from space. That's fairly likely (relative to the entire life history of the planet), though it would be at least 25 years away simply because if anything was going to hit us sooner, we'd know about it already and be getting our affairs in order.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Darunia - 28th June 2005

I would barricade myself in my house--and if they got in, they into the basement, where my father and older brother keep their guns. Bring the food down there, barricade the bulkhead, and then wait & see what happens. Bring a TV and lanterns, clothing and bedding, as much food and water as possible, and a few books to keep my sanity from slipping. Man it'd be awesome!

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 28th June 2005

You are made of stone, and an inch tall besides.
They tried to eat you and they'd get nothing but a stomach ache.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - alien space marine - 28th June 2005

They way it goes is if you get biten your infected and you will be zombiefied, Screwed.

If the "zombie plague" was that a plague spread like the influenza virus then yah everyone would be screwed if you didnt live in a airtight sealed off Isolated compound like Chevene mountain Norad complexe.

Its funny you bring up zombies, I just saw the original dawn of the dead (1978).

The zombies in the original DOTD are to dumb and sluggish in my opinion to have done that kind of damage,A bunch of mad renegad bikers practically wiped them out untill the main characters turned on the bikers.

The remake in 2004 "Runin" zombie are probaily more believable since they would charge at you to maul you they were more like feeding frenzied sharks, Instead of waddling penguins like in the original.

Id go to my freinds house, He is one of few who has a hunting rifle , Not to mention his basement is already well barricaded like a bunker, He has security cameras and black & white monitors like in the grocerory so he can pretty well see who is upstairs without leaving,His house is stocked with food storages mostly junk food though :(.

My house isnt secure enough since its just a fucking cottage.

Finding a high rise to shoot at the zombies from above would be cool !

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Laser Link - 28th June 2005

Well according to the people who calculate these types of things, the total number of people that are alive now is approximately equal to the total number of people who have died. Ever. Meaning they guess around 12.5 - 13 billion people have ever lived. So we would be on even terms even if they all hadn't decayed.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - A Black Falcon - 28th June 2005

But they're hard to kill, generally, so they'd quickly gain numbers...

Would they? They would only gain numbers if they infected someone. I'm not saying humans are super agile, but at the very least we would move a lot faster and more intelligently than half decayed idiot versions of ourselves.

At first people would get attacked and all, but after that, we'd be able to deal with them. Let's assume this virus got to humans first for this scenario. What do the humans do now? Attack a wild animal? Hah, good luck. Thanks to humanity's notorious terrible back problems as a result of being all standupy, we'd be lucky to chase down a mouse, and with intelligence completely absent, zombies would be lucky to attack a dead mouse... Oh wait...

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - A Black Falcon - 28th June 2005

But DJ, if you've ever watched a zombie movie, you know that when zombies and humans fight the zombies always win in the end against the vast majority of the human population... :)

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Darunia - 28th June 2005

I prefer the slow-moving, shuffling, groaning zombies to the fast-running, ravenous ones.

Yeah yeah, but when the question comes up "how would this play out in real life?" it's important to ask "exactly what elements are we going to use from the movies and what elements are we to use from real life?". It gets a little muddled without any sort of definitive lines drawn...

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - alien space marine - 29th June 2005

Darunia Wrote:I prefer the slow-moving, shuffling, groaning zombies to the fast-running, ravenous ones.
Fast running ravenous zombies are more cool to watch though , But I guess if it was a matter of survival in the real world the turtle groaners would be my pick.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Great Rumbler - 29th June 2005

The original Night of the Living Dead was a cool movie, even by today's standards.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Darunia - 29th June 2005

Well I just enjoy the shufflers to the runners. That, to me, is the classic zombie genre. Like in Remake... they got zombies just right there. No speed or agility, no brains (except what they eat,) but entirely frightening. When you make zombies fast and agile, you're fixing something that isn't broken.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 29th June 2005

And what's wrong with fixing something that "isn't broken"? Engineers do it all the time, and the constant advances in computer technology testify to the advantages of that.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Darunia - 29th June 2005

How ever did you manage to take my zombie metaphor and apply it to something completely different and inconsequential to the topic...? Maybe you walked in late, but last I saw we were talking about ZOMBIES!

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 29th June 2005

I took your metaphor APART is what I did.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - alien space marine - 30th June 2005

Runners have that greater swarm effect , Shufflers as in the original DOTD couldnt keep both legs without one of the heroes smacking them down on their asses or down the escalator.

Shufflers have lossed their horror appeal because they are blantantly funny and horribly paraodied , Because you can just run right by them if your fast enough and smack them on the head, Endless your cornerd in by a pack of them unarmed otherwise shufflers are not as threatening as the runnin zombies.

The remake dawn of the dead compared to the original was alot more bleak, In the original you had outlaw bikers and red militias pretty holding their ground having a jolly good time wasting zombies, The zombies decimated the folks who didnt have a gun or didnt get with a posse.

In the remake it seemed like the main characters were the last remnant of humanity at one point.

Runin zombies dont think , Otherwise they could use elevators or guns or just open the freaking door, They just have this bloodlust to charge after the closest breathing human target displaying their ravenous nature rather then dumb ditz who will just bite you if you get to close.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - UltraMarioMan - 30th June 2005

To clairify I mean everyone who dies ANYWHERE as long as the brain is intact rising. An airbourne virus that has no effect on the living could spread throughout the major world powers in a few days. By the time they relised there was an illness it would be to late to stop it. Only once the dead started rising in a large noticeable number would it be detected. One or two dead rising would not be enough. That would go ignored as a prank or something.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Darunia - 1st July 2005

I still think shufflers are better. Running is a high-function thing, I think... if a zombie is running at you, its because it has higher-functioning instincts. If it jsut moans and shuffles, it supports the idea that it's a half-dead, brainless...zombie. Running blends zombies into a monster genre altogether different.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Dark Jaguar - 2nd July 2005

No, it wouldn't be ignored if they actually attacked.

I think that's where we differ. I have good reason to believe it would immediatly be seen for what it is the second they analyzed the bodies. A silly teenager tells people but no one believes them situation is not going to occur.

I just have to ask exactly how this spreads into graveyards by the way. How does an airborn virus get into coffins deep underground? Society doesn't like a corpse, namely thanks to OTHER infections they tend to carry, so it's not like you can find too many just lying around.

Watch the news, truly fake stuff gets publicised as reality all the time. Now if a zombie actually DID come out of the grave, do you really think no one would notice? The very first thing that would happen would be they would attack someone, and the fact that they won't let up at all would immediatly tell you it's not a prank, this person is at least insane. Calling the police, they WOULD show up on reports of a crazy person attacking people and NOT letting up or running away. The police would end up having to put the guy down... um... back down. The police would immediatly have to examine this corpse, and guess what? They are going to find stuff that's going to get the interest of the scientific community. This whole thing is going to take a few months, but the end result is they find out exactly what they are dealing with via experimentation and warn everyone. Depsite crazy conspiracy wackos, the reality is scientists are terrible at keeping secrets.

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - dex - 5th July 2005

hey im new , have you seen shawn of the dead???
I think it would turn out somewhat like that

Ok if Zombies (Romero type) really attacked... - Great Rumbler - 6th July 2005

I know I'd watch game shows with zombies doing crazy things to get meat.