Tendo City
Favorite Star Wars - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Favorite Star Wars (/showthread.php?tid=3006)

Favorite Star Wars - Darunia - 16th June 2005

Just a quickie here guys; which Star Wars films we prefer most to least, out of curiosity:

1. TESB
2. ANH
3. RotJ
4. Phantom Menace
5. RotS
6. AotC

Favorite Star Wars - Dark Jaguar - 16th June 2005

The only Star Wars, Star Wars (not New Hope, just Star Wars).

At least I'd say that if I didn't actually see all of them as fairly equal, just in lesser light than most nerds.

Favorite Star Wars - Great Rumbler - 16th June 2005

1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace

Favorite Star Wars - Weltall - 16th June 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:1. Return of the Jedi
2. Empire Strikes Back
3. A New Hope
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Attack of the Clones
6. Phantom Menace

That about says it for me as well.

Well alright then.

Favorite Star Wars - A Black Falcon - 16th June 2005

1. Return of the Jedi
2. The Empire Strikes Back
... after this it gets hard to decide... all four of them are deserving movies, and ranking them is really hard... I think RotS is the best of the PT, but is it (or TPM or AotC) better than ANH? ANH is great and all, but... the PT is pretty good too! So choosing is really hard. As for TPM... it doesn't deserve to be put in last, because it's a good movie, but I'm not sure if it's better than any of the other films... perhaps ANH, but I'm not sure. Too hard to decide. :)

No matter how you make your list one movie has to be at the bottom. I put the Phantom Menace last because it just didn't really feel like a Star Wars movies, AotC did although it lagged a lot in a few areas, though some of that was made up by the events in the second half of the movie. RotS can't be third simply because of nostalgia, and ANH is a really good. I must say though that there's not a lot of room to give between many of the movies.

You're right that TPM is different from the other SW movies, but after several viewings I came to appreciate it, and definitely don't feel that it's a bad movie... I don't know, the list is definitely very close together and each time you ask me it'd probably be different (kind of like the order of my 'top 10 favorite pc games' list... :))...

These things I think are the concretes... RotJ is best. ESB is second. RotS is better than AotC. ... umm, that's about it... ask me several times and I'll come up with several variations that follow those three guidelines. :)

Like, I know that ANH is great, but it feels simpler (less complex) than the later films, and for that I often rank it lower... it's more of a one-off adventure as opposed to a deeper film like the others often are (not that it isn't deep, but that it seems simpler than the later films...). So I well might rank it below several of the PT films, and perhaps even in last... but it's hard to say.

Star Wars is a pretty simple, up-front series. There are a few intentional hidden meanings but a child could spot them from a mile away. I wouldn't call any of the movies, even the better ones, particularly deep. The whole Darth Vader part is about as deep as it gets, really.

Of course, there are aspects of Star Wars that are needlessly shallow, but no need to retread that ground.

I don't know if it's worth it to reply to these same exact charges of yours that I've refuted multiple times before yet again...

Star Wars is still one of the greatest scfi epics ever. Or whatever you want to categorize Star Wars as.

A Black Falcon Wrote:I don't know if it's worth it to reply to these same exact charges of yours that I've refuted multiple times before yet again...

Well, I look at it as a matter of comparison.

Play one of the Silent Hill games, where practically everything you see, hear and do has a hidden meaning, as does half of the stuff you totally miss the first time through. Part of the reason I love the series so much is because I think it's fun to explore the depth of the characters and the hidden meanings, and also because so much about the games are open to interpretation.

It's just me, maybe, but in comparison, a movie or game or book where every character's intentions are easy to see and their motives plain, where the hidden meanings exist but without any subtlety... I can't really call it deep.

Of course, they are two very different types of entertainment. But I definitely enjoy one more than the other. Can't help it.

OB1 effectively countered THAT paticular argument so many times it's kind of ridiculous...

His counter was that it wasn't supposed to be deep. I'm not saying it really has to be, though I would prefer that it was.

Then he tried telling me Palpatine was deep because he's powerful and mysterious, which doesn't fit my definition of character depth at all, and is an incorrect counter.

He also thought Silent Hill was boring, so it only figures.

You just don't understand... too bad, but obviously true.

What's not to understand? Star Wars doesn't take much to figure out. It's an action movie designed so that it can be easily understood by twelve-year olds.

The first Star Wars is, but the others have more depth.

More. But still not much.

I'm still sure that you're missing a bunch of the depth... but explaining it doesn't help, because we have done that before. So all I can say is, it's obvious that you're missing something...

As I said, I've spent years and years discussing Silent Hill with fellow fans, and there's no limit to the stuff you can find. I'm quite adept at finding hidden meanings and understanding stories. David Lynch movies are also similar, though I've seen just parts of one.

Star Wars just really isn't that deep. I'm sorry to tell you, but it's true. Most of the characters have very naked intentions. Maybe it's different in the books, which allow much more room for extrapolation, but I'm only talking about the movies. They are straightforward.

You really haven't paid much attention in the films, have you... maybe it's not as deep as that, but it's got a lot of layers of depth to it. Far more than you give it credit for.

Favorite Star Wars - The Former DMiller - 18th June 2005

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Revenge of the Sith
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Attack of the Clones
6. The Phantom Menace

Favorite Star Wars - Weltall - 18th June 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:You really haven't paid much attention in the films, have you... maybe it's not as deep as that, but it's got a lot of layers of depth to it. Far more than you give it credit for.

I make a point to look for depth and meaning. If not, I wouldn't love Silent Hill as much as I do. Star Wars just doesn't have much, and a lot of what's there is pretty generic.

Favorite Star Wars - Darunia - 18th June 2005

Is it maybe possible that the two of your are just of different opinions...?

I wonder why OB1 hasn't made his presence felt here yet.

Favorite Star Wars - Great Rumbler - 18th June 2005

Quote:I wonder why OB1 hasn't made his presence felt here yet.

Because he left vowing never to return?

Favorite Star Wars - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2005

... someone missed a lot...

Rofl

Quote:I make a point to look for depth and meaning. If not, I wouldn't love Silent Hill as much as I do. Star Wars just doesn't have much, and a lot of what's there is pretty generic.

I'd say it's got as much as any sci-fi does, for sure.

Favorite Star Wars - Darunia - 19th June 2005

Lol I guess I did. Haven't been online in some weeks.

Different topic:

Mon Mothma was in Episode III!? Where and when!?