Tendo City
Oh joy... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Oh joy... (/showthread.php?tid=3004)

Oh joy... - A Black Falcon - 15th June 2005

Not only are they making another Resident Evil movie, but they're making TWO...

http://gamespot.com/news/2005/06/13/news_6127452.html

Why...

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 15th June 2005

Because we, like idiots, keep watching them.

Never mind that those who watch it conclude the movie sucks. At this point, a movie can survive so long as they can get enough people to buy a ticket. Whether or not they walk away satisfied is incidental. Unless a movie REALLY interests us, we need to just stop going....

Huh... but maybe this one won't suck... These two...

Um... yeah sorry...

Anyway, the only movie I have high hopes for in the "video game based movie" department right now is Silent Hill. That movie can be SO good, but it can also be so bad... They can either try and truly capture the mood of the scariness in the game, or just Japanese horror in general, or they can toss it all in the trash and just have the scene where the camera zooms in on the mother when she stands still because she saw something, do a slow motion "her spinning around", and then play dramatic music as she runs away in slow motion. Now THAT would be aweful...

Well, I did rent the first one, but the second one I just watched on TV... :) Not exactly great movies, for sure... the first one was better than the second, though. And now it looks like they're going even farther away from the game storyline... will these two have anything at all to do with the stories in the games? Doesn't look like it, based on the little we are told...

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 15th June 2005

Quote:Because we, like idiots, keep watching them.

I certainly don't.

By the way, isn't it great that they came up with an entirely new idea for the third movie? [/sarcasm]

Quote:By the way, isn't it great that they came up with an entirely new idea for the third movie? [/sarcasm]

It means that they'll make a new and exciting film that breaks new ground in the industry, right? ... right? .. no? It'll just be another cheap cash-in? Oh... :)

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 16th June 2005

Lands of the Dead, anyone?

Oh joy... - alien space marine - 16th June 2005

I heard it sucked unfortunately , I kind of like Dawn of the dead "04" since it didnt go all flash and REish.

They making a Remake to "Day of the dead" which will seqeuil last years "dawn".

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 16th June 2005

Who said Land of the Dead sucks?

Oh joy... - Darunia - 18th June 2005

I dunno I still think that they need to drop this high-tech shit in the RE movies and get back to what made the RE games so good. I don't want to see some fucking ditz with high tits and machine guns massacreing zombies; I want to see Barry and Jill Valentine and Chris and all of those guys. They need to remake RE I; creepy old mansion, survival plot... What's so fucking hard about that!?

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 18th June 2005

They don't think something like that will sell to American movie-goers and they're probably right. The RE movies aren't so much horror movies as they are glorified action movies that just happen to have the undead at the receiving end of various powerful weaponry.

Oh joy... - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2005

True, they've not exactly the scariest movies out there...

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2005

I don't care about high tech, that can still be scary. I know that exploring Umbrella's labs was creepy in REbirth. It's just that they totally lack that factor. The idea of slowly walking up to skinless experiments that have broken loose, or scientists shambing by a smeared window, barely made out, as you are slowly walking through anyway... a laboratory environment is no preventer of fear. So, they just screwed up. Those movies were just stupid holywood action movies with some undead.

Oh joy... - EdenMaster - 19th June 2005

Darunia Wrote:I dunno I still think that they need to drop this high-tech shit in the RE movies and get back to what made the RE games so good. I don't want to see some fucking ditz with high tits and machine guns massacreing zombies; I want to see Barry and Jill Valentine and Chris and all of those guys. They need to remake RE I; creepy old mansion, survival plot... What's so fucking hard about that!?

I agree with you, but Hollywood producers don't give two shits about us hardcore gamers that made Resident Evil what it is today. They know we'll probably watch the movie because it's Resident Evil, now they need to change it up so that non-gamers will go and see it, and for them, that requires some ditz with high tits and machine guns massacring zombies. You show me one video game based movie that stays right on track with it's respective game.

Sadly, there are many great games that would do awesome with the silver screen treatment, but even if they made it, it would still probably turn out bad, because ultimately, they know we're going to watch it, so we're not a key demographic. Everyone else is, so that is who they're going to cater to.

Oh joy... - Darunia - 19th June 2005

It's too bad too, a low-budget, high-scares zombie movie could be made for a few thousand bucks, and net a hugh profit, like Blair Witch did...suck though it did. All you really need is a creepy old house (there's plenty of them here in rural New England!), a creative mind to direct it, and a camera. You could hire free extras, because who WOULDN'T want to be in a zombie movie? Instead, they put a huge budget into explosions and special effects... so frustrating.

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 19th June 2005

Yeah... however I still must point out that a run down laboratory can still be scary when done right, as in the RE series. Part of the scare walking through that thing was that, in the condition it was in, what other experiments might be malfunctioning or contaminated? And we found out... Boy was it fun to accidently be sprayed with a chemical containing who knows what.

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

QUINN I DON'T KNOW!

YOU JUST ATE WHALE CANCER!

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS!

I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT'LL DO TO YA!

WHAAAAAA!

Yea that could make for a good zombie flick too, but it'd be more expensive and elaborate. I'd still stick with the core elements: zombies, creepy mansion, guns.

Oh joy... - alien space marine - 19th June 2005

Batman Begins, Had almost no CG except a few bats and the Scare crow scenes besides that its all completely old school.

Unlike RE films by Paul Anderson or Joel Schumacher and his dessacrating attempts on another good franchise "batman & robin", Batman Forever was cool as a kid but now its just Ludicrous! I see why my brother hated that movie now and even broke the sound track he bought earlier after seeing that film.

That thankfully Nolan has been abled to swipe clean with a well written well thought out masterpiece that is "Batman begins" were good writing and acting finally substitute CG and shit, That goes back to Tim Burton but actually improves further even from that since those TB films had some cheese also but atleast they didnt forget the "dark concept", Nolan unlike Burton or Joe is faithful to the comics especially the "dark knight series".

Batman Begins is almost Flawless even Roger Ebert song its praises , Its just Katie Holms thats a miss cast but atleast its not enough to hurt the film , I think her character needs some work to get out of the Dainsel in distress syndrome not that the concept is bad it just needs fixing, They should concider another less known "sexy" brunete who can do the role better then Tom Cruises little jewel.

Christian Bale was a perfect choice because unlike the other actors he was envisioned to be Bruce Wayne first and foremost and not just Batman in this film "Batman" is a facet of Wayne not the other way around, Which it should stay because its easier to fit someone in a suite and do all those moves then actually do good acting so it forces creativity this way.

I Recommend BB with two thumbs up!

I think what hurts this film is the false impression that its a "prequeil" which it isnt, Also the bad taste from that stink ray in 1997.

So please go see film! Then tell all your freinds so the studio can get enough cash to get Nolan to make a sequeil !

Mark Hamill is already begging and lining up for the role Joker ! I hope they toss in Harley Quin just to be different from 1989 "batman".

Well that sounds like a step in the right direction, away from the Gothic-Gotham that Tim Burton crafted.

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2005

Gothic-Gotham was cool in the animated series. Had a lot German influence like in film noir and such. I liked it.

Oh joy... - alien space marine - 19th June 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:Gothic-Gotham was cool in the animated series. Had a lot German influence like in film noir and such. I liked it.

Thats actually how Batman Begins is , Nolan was a fan of the Dark knight comic book and Frank millers "Batman" efforts the visual style is in sink with that as well as the writing that he got Goyer to do, The idea of the movie was to take those comics and sort of "novelize it" instead of "Tim Burtons" or "Joe schmuck" attempts to take Batman and put their own spin on it, Tim Burton did pay attention to the frank miller comics although he couldnt help changing the story making "Joker" the killer of Bruce Waynes parents instead of Gill which it always was.

Joe just wanted to pay homage to the 1960's batman tv show with adam west ignoring everything "Tim burton" had done and the comics at large , Thats why it got all campy corny and ludicrous.

The 1950-1960's were not good times for batman no thanks to "Bitch Mother groups" complaining about the violence who had waterd it down and castrated it through censorship turning it into crap that only kids would love.

Batman was sort of voice out agiast 1930's great depression america , Inspired by Zorro were the law was the criminals and the vigilante was the only last vestige of integrity but into a "urban" modern american context turned into a symbol of struggle and rejuvenation.

The Adam west tv show you could accept because it never tried to take itself seriously, It was better then any satire paraody anyone could do.

Oh joy... - Darunia - 20th June 2005

Batman was sort of voice out agiast 1930's great depression america , Inspired by Zorro were the law was the criminals and the vigilante was the only last vestige of integrity but into a "urban" modern american context turned into a symbol of struggle and rejuvenation.

Or maybe it was just a comic about a guy dressed as a bat. :love:

Oh joy... - alien space marine - 20th June 2005

Blasphemer!

:evil:

Oh joy... - Weltall - 21st June 2005

I'm wondering how the Silent Hill movie is going to turn out.

It's being directed by Christophe Gans, who did Brotherhood of the Wolf. The story is a slight adaptation of the first game, as far as anyone can tell. Supposedly, Harry Mason's wife is the main character, and many characters from the first game will appear.

It seems to have some good things in place. I'm a bit scared to see it become a Resident Evil, but it is apparently being done in collaboration with several members of Team Silent, so I have hopes.

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 21st June 2005

I wonder if Harry even exists, but I'm ignoring info until it comes out, except some very basic reviews summed up as "it's good" or "it sucks".

I never did see the second RE movie by the way. I already knew what to expect...

I will say that if this movie is in fact being aided by the actual people who make the games, there is a much greater chance of it not sucking horribly. From what I've seen, pretty much every single video game movie so far is made by people who have no input at all from the makers, just the permission to do it.

That said, Super Mario Bros is a fun little kid flick. Eh, it gets the job done if you want some cheap laughs.

Edit: Removed Flash

What's her face, and staple sauce, a heaping bowl, of staple sauce...

Oh joy... - Darunia - 22nd June 2005

Come on, could any Super Mario Bros. movie, no matter how seriously-made, ever be taken seriously? The game's a walking joke. I think the Bob Hoskins-John Leguizamo one was great. I have nothing but fond memories of it from my childhood, and if I ever see it on DVD, I'll pick it up.

The second RE movie was 4.5x worse than the first one, which already served rather nicely to forever ruin the RE game franchise.

It's being directed by Christophe Gans, who did Brotherhood of the Wolf.

Is that "Le Pacte des Loups"? Because that was a good movie in its own right, but I don't think that kind of filmmaking woud add much to Silent Hill... but maybe I'll be surprised.

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd June 2005

Um...

I wasn't saying "make a serious Mario movie". I was saying "make a GOOD one, you know, a good one?". The Mario movie we got had some funny moments but it was not the comedy gold we watch over and over again that we expect from good comedy. It was no Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Oh joy... - Darunia - 22nd June 2005

Now now, let's not resort to childish OB1 sarcasm.

Oh joy... - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2005

When I finally watched the Mario movie it wasn't as utterly miserable as I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't great and had almost nothing to do with the Mario we know from the games... :(

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 23rd June 2005

DJ, that flash animation was funny the first few times, but now it's starting to get annoying when it starts playing really loudly every time I open this thread.

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 23rd June 2005

Darunia, I wasn't resorting to sarcasm, I was correcting your misunderstanding of what I said. I MEANT all that.

Oh joy... - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2005

Rightclick on it and hit stop, or edit DJ's post and make the thing a link instead of a imbedded flash... because yes, those things get really annoying, really fast.

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 24th June 2005

Alright, I edited DJ's post and removed the flash file.

Oh joy... - A Black Falcon - 24th June 2005

It's better to remove the scripting and just leave the link (the link alone will just function as a link, not an embedded flash...), for if anyone wants to see the thing... and put a note in the post saying what you did.

Oh joy... - Darunia - 28th June 2005

Um...

I know what you were trying to say, but did you really say "Um..." because you wanted to teach me, or make me feel stupid?

Oh joy... - Dark Jaguar - 28th June 2005

No, it's just because I'm surprised you mistook it that way, that's all. Sometimes I think I'm clear until someone misunderstands me and it always catches me off guard.

Oh joy... - Darunia - 28th June 2005

Oh, well since you didn't mean anything by it.

Oh joy... - dex - 6th July 2005

no matter what the movie or game is, it realy creep's me out

Oh joy... - Darunia - 6th July 2005

I think we can all blame the horrible RE movies on one thing alone:

They catered not to real RE fans, but to the mass-market idiot market of movie-goers. They dumbed down the plot, quadrupled the special effects, added a chick with huge tits, and threw in a truckload of guns. Welcome to the American film industry!

Oh joy... - Great Rumbler - 6th July 2005

It's a good thing that their are some good horror/thrillers coming out of South Korea and Japan.