Tendo City
Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Fantasy Baseball!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=298)

Pages: 1 2 3

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 12th March 2003

I don't know it it was really a good idea... but I guess I will because I really should have at least one closer. Still... Brian Giles is good. Oh well... Giles for Urbina. Oh, and some not too good outfielder DMiller here seems to want to get rid of.

Will he get 40 saves in Texas? No... but he well may get 30...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 12th March 2003

Haha. The player I got in the controversial trade is already off to another team. Urbina didn't even have time to unpack! Well, he's certainly a very good closer, he just won't be able to reach his potential with Texas. And JD Drew has all the potential in the world to be a great player, he is just hounded by injuries. Maybe you'll get really lucky and Drew will avoid the injury bug this year. Giles will definitely be able to help me out in the power department so I'm glad you accepted.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 12th March 2003

I doubt I'll miss Pedro Astasio (dropped to make room for Urbina)... I already have a lot of mediocre starters, and those ones aren't injured already...

Oh, and yeah Giles is good... but you already have a pretty good outfield. Who'll you bench to put him in there?

And as for Drew, for now I'll go with Vernon Wells as the new utility player (moving off the bench...) and put Wells on the bench. Because he isn't better than Wells... (just like Wells wesn't as good as Giles).

All I hope for now is that Manny Ramirez does better than Giles... :) Oh, and for Kevin Brown to not be injured.

And it is funny that after that controversy he's shipped off the next day...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 12th March 2003

I need power in my outfield, though. If Juan Gone is injured again this year my decision will be made for me. Otherwise I might have to sit Jacque Jones.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 12th March 2003

I'm telling you, Brian Lawrence is the man, and that is not the voice of a blind Padre fan. He was fantastic early last year and though he slowed down in July and August he picked it up again and helped push me to the championship game. This year he will be even better, although his run support will be even worse. He may not give you as many wins as you'd like, but his ERA will be good. And Jeff Weaver was having a tremendous year until he went to the pinstripes. Is he even going to start for the Yanks?

I haven't liked Kevin <strike>Brown</strike> Green since 99, but that is the voice of a blind Padre fan. I can't decide whether he or Griffey was a bigger bust. But he might possibly do something for you.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2003

Hmm... to make room for Urbina I need to take one pitcher out of the rotation and into the bench... but should it be Weaver, Brown, Lawrence, or Appier (Moyer, Nomo, and Wakefild stay.)? I don't know... a injury (again) to Brown or Weaver not making the Yankees' rotation (he's competing for the 5th spot...) would solve that problem, but for now it is one... :)

If I'd drafted people... well, if I'd gotten fielders as good as I have it'd be really great... but pitchers? I doubt any of them (except maybe Moyer and Wakefild...) would be there...

Oh, and I'd love to get rid of Weaver (he's a Yankee!), but he's a good pitcher... and if he doesn't make the rotation no one would want him anyway... oh well. Also... I don't like the Dodgers either (the Giants are my California team of choice... they're my second favorite team...). I'm just stuck with 2 of their pitchers...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 13th March 2003

You don't need to really put pitchers on the bench at all. You can change your lineup every day so you can just put your pitchers in whenever they are pitching. And don't worry about Weaver not getting the 5th spot in the rotation. Contraras has sucked it up so far this spring training and Weaver's done pretty good. He has the spot locked up.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 13th March 2003

Yeah... after seeing the Yankees spend so much on Contreras (and seeing Contreras basically say that he would only go to the Yankees... even though the Sox offered just as much...), it sure was great to see him FAIL! :)

Oh, and how do you keep track of when around 10 pitchers pitch?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 13th March 2003

When you check your lineup for the next day, it will show a star or something next to pitchers who are projected to start. It's not failsafe, but it is pretty accurate.

Also, I may have to veto the trade we're making because of the controversy surrounding Urbina. If it turns out that not enough people would have vetoed the earlier Urbina trade, then I'll resubmit that Giles for Urbina/Drew trade. It's not for sure, but I just want to warn you so you don't freak out if you see the trade has been vetoed.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 13th March 2003

Please tell George that I'll trade him Sean Burroughs in exchange for Randy Johnson and some wine. Actually, make that some whine.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 28th March 2003

And in baseball news, for the 6th straight year the Red Sox have the highest ticket prices -- $42.34 average for a ticket. Number two? The Yankees, at $24.86... and the average for MLB is $18.69... and the cheapest tickets? Montreal, at $9 US each...

When a team has prices a full $18 more than the second most expensive team... well its not fair for us who want to go to games and find them so expensive... But the reason is clear -- tiny park (34,000) and a $100+ million payroll...

And last season, the Red Sox had a total of 98% home attendance! 98%! The Sox clearly know people will come so they can raise prices every year... and they do... and we pay for it. Oh well. Its still absurd to have prices so dramatically higher than everyone else's... now if they were a Basketball or Hockey team they'd be right around average (The NFL's average ticket price last year was $50.02, the NBA's average is $43.65 this season and the NHL's is $41.56)... but for a baseball team they're more than twice what average is...

And I bet that this season they'll manage to top that 98% attendance from last year.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 29th March 2003

Quote:[i]... and the cheapest tickets? Montreal, at $9 US each...
[/B]

BOOYAH. 'Spos own.

Yeah but wait...will they ever sell out the Olympic Stadium?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 29th March 2003

Last year didn't they have no sellouts? Except maybe opening day...

And its just unfair to charge us EIGHTEEN DOLLARS more than the next most expensive average ticket just because they know we will pay!

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 3rd April 2003

Well I was a bit worried to make this prediction before the season started, because I thought they might win opening night, but now I am surpemely confident that the Padres will remain below .500 for all 162 games this year. There is no way they can climb out of this 0-3 hole. But I can't say I'm surprised or disapointed. Well, I guess it's disapointing to be swept in the opening series, but still not surprising.

Sounds like Browny had a good game for you last night ABF. That's good news for you.

Who drafted Griffey?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 3rd April 2003

DMiller had Derek Jeter... haha. It was so great to see one of the Yankee's biggest stars go down... 6 weeks minimum! Yeah! Not much news could have helped after how badly the 'bullpen by committee' blew up that night... but that was a very good candidate.

Oh, and I doubt Omar Vizquel will give DMiller those numbers... :)

On that subject, where in the world is DMiller? He hasn't been around recently, it seems...

And as for the Dodgers, I guess I'd like those two pitchers of theirs I have to do well... unless it is stopping the Giants. I don't like the Dodgers...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 3rd April 2003

Yesterday I was down 7-4 to Dr. Graffenberg...now I'm up 8-4! Whoo hoo. Fransisco Rodriguez and Barry Zito are gonna do wonders for me this year...

Me and DMiller's Cubs are tied 6-6... me winning in 1 hitting and 5 pitching categories and him in 6 hitting ones...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 3rd April 2003

I still visit TC everyday, I just don't post much anymore. Anyway, I hated to see Jeter get hurt because, as much as I hate the Yankees, I really like Jeter. He's a great player, and gives it his all every time out. I can't believe the crap Steinbrenner said about him before the season started.

LL: My brother picked up Griffey in the 8th round. I was hoping to pick him up in the next round or two, but that was really a stretch.

I only wish my pitching hadn't stunk it up this week otherwise I'd be doing much better. Last I checked I had gone up 7-5, but there are still a few games to be played today.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Italian_Pyro - 3rd April 2003

wow I wont crash and burn right away as long as the expos keep winning...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 3rd April 2003

Hell yeah, they're 3-0 to start the season! Sucky Braves haven't been swept by the Expos since 1988 (year I was born), and haven't been shut out in back to back games since 1992. (I was listening to the game on the computer)

And Pyro, you better hope the 'Spos don't continue winning, else you will crash and burn (fantasy 'Spos).

At least...I think I'm still winning...for this week so far.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 3rd April 2003

I really think the only people who post here consistently are DJ, ABF, OB1, and Weltall. The rest of us are just lurkers. :)

It's so funny how people think of Griffey. If any other player put up the same kind of numbers these last few years and was injured that much, he would never get drafted. But there are always people willing to take a chance on Griffey, hoping he'll finally turn it around. I remember when I drafted him last year it was probably around the 8th or 9th round, and there were a couple people who were really disapointed. You just know if he comes back, he's gonna be one of the best players around. But nobody wants to spend a high pick on him because we don't really think he will play good. The whole situation just cracks me up!

And I still wish the Padres had been able to trade for him, especially with Nevin out for the year. :)

LOOK AT THAT! THE PADRES WON!!! The hated Dogs always bring out the best in the Pads. And the Bravos lost again! That's very nice.

Quote:I really think the only people who post here consistently are DJ, ABF, OB1, and Weltall. The rest of us are just lurkers.

That is true... though I only entered that group last September when I lost access to a TV (and thus both TV shows and Nintendo...). But I wish more of you would post more!

Oh, and its really nice to see the Expos win... I like them so its nice to see them off to a good start.

I just hope it can last... I mean, the Royals and 3-0 too (sweeping the White Sox) but no one expects THEM to remotely contend...

Oh, and DMiller. that complete game shutout from Hideo Nomo sure helped me... then Kevin Brown's 6 shutout innings added to that...

And as of right now its 6-6 again.

Oh, and why isn't Kevin Millar a 1st and 3rd baseman, and maybe DH too, as well as being a LF and RF? He'll mostly be playing 1B... and its not a position I can use him at? Confused

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 4th April 2003

When a player plays a certain number of games at a position (not sure exactly how many) Yahoo adds him to that position so he should be able to play some of those positions in the next few weeks.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 4th April 2003

Ah...

Now my only question is, Vernon Wells or him as the utility player...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2003

Poor Ken Griffey Jr.... did the Mariners curse him when he left or something?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 5th April 2003

I know. I felt horrible when I saw Griffey writhing on the ground. I hope he's not out long because he really looked like he was finally going to turn it around this year. They are saying the best case scenario is he will be out for 5 weeks, but some pessimists are saying he could be out the whole year. It didn't look too bad so I doubt he will be out the whole year, but with his luck you never know.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 5th April 2003

Yeah. With all the injuries he's had in the last few years... he just doesn't deserve this...

Quite unlike Derek Jeter. I wish he'd broken a bone and been knocked out all year...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 5th April 2003

Wow, again? Poor guy. I really wish he would return to his old form, becuase he was fun to watch. Sweetest swing ever.

And wouldn't you know, the Padres now swept the Dodgers and are back to .500. I was almost going to say they wouldn't climb above .500, but with their horrid lineup I didn't think it was possible.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 5th April 2003

Speaking of surprising, the Cubs have won 3 of their first 5 games, almost getting the fourth yesterday after coming back from 7 runs down, and they've done it with hitting! The Cubs couldn't hit anything last year besides Sosa, but some of the same players that couldn't hit last year have come around this year. I had to start getting my hopes up, but things are starting to look good on the North Side.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2003

Speaking of not surprising, the Red Sox bullpen has been abysmal, blowing leads in 4 of the 6 games so far... and its just good luck that won two of those games...

Lets see. Chad Fox, Alan Embree, Ramiro Mendoza, Bob Howry, and Mike Timlin are the main relievers (not counting the 2 long relievers)...

And in the first 6 games one or another one has blown it at least once each. In game 1 it was a 3 run lead blown in the 9th when Embree and Fox combined to give up 5 runs in that inning. In game 2, a 3 run lead was blown and only 16 innings (including 6 shutout innings from those long relievers) saved the day. Game 4? They almost blew a 5 run lead when Mendoza gave up 4 runs in the 9th.

Then today, the game was tied in the bottom of the 9th when they (surprise!) blew it... and WALKED in the winning run when Fox walked someone with the bases loaded. Just great.

Umm... is it too late to fire all five of them and start the bullpen over from scratch?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 6th April 2003

That Expos game was sure great...three run homer in the ninth to win! What was going through Guerrero? Taking all those pitches so late in the game? If he would've been himself and swung at those wild pitches, he wouldn't have walked and Montreal wouldn't have won...change is good once in awhile.

Heh, it was funny because the Mets were giving their pitcher a standing ovation and then the place was showered with boos when the Expos hit their home run to win. :) New York crowds are so sucky...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2003

Then how did the Expos lose the first 2 games to the Mets so badly? :)

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Italian_Pyro - 6th April 2003

different pitcher :p

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Italian_Pyro - 10th April 2003

Hurry time to rant before its too late...
I am currently in top spot out of 12, can you believe it?
lets go expos

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 10th April 2003

Cubbies beat the Spos 2 out of 3. They won handily the first game. In the second game Javier Vazquez pitched great, but Mark Prior pitched even better for his first career complete game shutout. Today the Cubs had too much Tony Armas Jr. Looks like he's going to be pretty good this year.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 10th April 2003

Yeah...I got him on my team. And Halladay. He got 10 K's today.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 12th April 2003

I'm going to Puerto Rico for a couple days next week, and I just realized the Spos will be there! It would be cool to catch a game in San Juan.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Italian_Pyro - 12th April 2003

boo ya, Wilkerson got a grand salami last night

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 12th April 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
I'm going to Puerto Rico for a couple days next week, and I just realized the Spos will be there! It would be cool to catch a game in San Juan.

That's awesome. Are you going there for Spring Break or something?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 12th April 2003

But spring break was last month... well for us anyway...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Laser Link - 12th April 2003

It's kind of like Spring Break. But we deliberately picked a time after Spring Break so it wouldn't be so busy. :) It will be from Thursday to Monday, and I'll only miss a couple days of school this way. YAY!

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 12th April 2003

Sweet. Go catch the 'Spos!

Ack, can you believe they only play 55 games in Montreal all this year?

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 14th April 2003

Yeah! Expos just finished off the Mets in a 4 game sweep in Puerto Rico... :)

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 14th April 2003

Damn you DMiller...you picked up Biddle, and I wanted him. :cuss:

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - The Former DMiller - 14th April 2003

Ha, I've had Biddle for a couple days now. You'll have to be quicker than that.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 16th April 2003

Damn it, I'm down 10-2 so far. Gotta get them Sea Dogs back.

Oh, and DMiller, did you not record my strikouts record because you don't like the Expos??

Oh wait. It's all fixed now. Chuckle

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 16th April 2003

Only because I mentioned it in the forum... which was nice considering he gave it to me... :)

Oh, and I wonder how long my 10-2 lead will last...

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 19th April 2003

Well, sure isn't going too well for you... 11-2... :)

And that 2.25 ERA would be a lot lower if Kevin Brown hadn't given up 5 runs in 5 innings...

But the numbers are close in many categories and 2 days are left so anything could happen.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - Fittisize - 19th April 2003

Dang...my team has got to pick it up. Else I'll be down near the bottom.

Fantasy Baseball!!!! - A Black Falcon - 21st April 2003

Well, I won 8-4... not bad... :)

In worse news the Red Sox lost 11-6 today, breaking their 7-game winning streak...and on Patriot's Day too... :(