Tendo City
In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo (/showthread.php?tid=2947)

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 23rd May 2005

Quote:In an interesting conversation with GameSpot, Pachter talks about a scenario where the "faster kids may lose" the next-gen battle. Why? Well, "instead of seeing our normal 200 games each console after a couple of years, we're going to see fewer. And mostly because of development costs."

So does this mean Nintendo overall will have more games next-gen? Especially with the download service that's been unveiled? "Nintendo has a deep library ... and has good relationships with Japan, so they'll probably get some support from third-party Japanese publishers."

Probably the most interesting quote is one that will calm fears from some Nintendo fans over lack of third party support for Revolution: "I talked to Nintendo and their strategy is to try to ensure that all the big games that are made for 360 and PS3 are also made for Revolution. If they succeed at that, they're going to do very well."

The full article can be read here, and makes for interesting reading.

Always when market analysts would predict doom for Nintendo they ended up doing at least okay, so what does THIS mean?

Cube-Europe

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - The Former DMiller - 23rd May 2005

It means Nintendo is doomed.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 23rd May 2005

Probably.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

Amazing.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - lazyfatbum - 23rd May 2005

What are you guys talking about? This is awesome news! When ever marketing people who know nothing about anything say that something is good it causes other people who know nothing about anything to think that it's good too!

So THIS is what Nintendo meant when they said they want to grab non-gameplayers!

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

They are joking, lazy. :D

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - N-Man - 23rd May 2005

Nintendo

The calm storm

The underdog with an ace up his sleeve

The unshaking fortress amidst a sea of turmoil

Nintendo

At any rate, getting a lot of good games rather than scrambling for exclusives may yet pay off. I think it's a change in strategy for Nintendo but IMO it's a good move.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - EdenMaster - 23rd May 2005

Nintendo could use a change in strategy, as their current one is failing miserably right now.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

It's certainly not doing too well.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - lazyfatbum - 24th May 2005

I dont see that... I see them needing more third parties. Their strategy for hardware and first party stuff this gen has been pretty well laid out. It's the lack of third parties that really came out all poopy

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2005

They seem to think that their current strategy is okay, though...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - lazyfatbum - 24th May 2005

I dont see that either, as they've said that with Rev they will be more aggresive with acquiring third parties. I hope that by aggresive, they mean shove money in their butts.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 24th May 2005

They need to start throwing some money around to third-party developers as well as developing a coherent advertising strategy, probably more than anything else really.

In all honesty, I think it's more the ad campaign and the factors that play in a campaign more so than having more third parties.

How they are percieved by the average consumer is definitely a major factor in how well they are able to do, but having support of major third-parties [with big-name games] is important in that aspect too.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

It's all important, really it is.

The question is, how are people seeing Nintendo these days?

I'm almost positive the image of Nintendo as "the kiddy company" is all but dead, living on only in the die-hard fanboys, which are not as strong a force as they once were.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 24th May 2005

Oh, they definitely need to change something. Things are gradually slipping... I see the GC as not goind as well as the N64 did and I doubt I'm the only one who sees it that way. But really, what can Nintendo do? They're trying a lot of things... yes, they could do more, and they should. But they shouldn't try to be exactly like the other companies, the fact that they are different is one of their main good points...

Of course, on the other hand, most consumers seem to want that "same" these days. So it's tough for Nintendo.

Nintendo has to find a balance between what the average consumer wants and trying differentiate themselves from the other two companies. It's difficult, but that's what they've got to do.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Dark Jaguar - 24th May 2005

If the next gen systems all have HDs built in, how long before you hear Blizzard announce they are releasing a version of the client software for World of Warcraft for all of them?

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - N_A - 24th May 2005

Failing miserably ? Perhaps, but what I'm thinking is that they were never out to win the last 2 generations anyways. Sometimes, the strategy may be to just hang in there and let the big guys kill each other and then you take the winnings when they've exhausted themselves. If you haven't noticed, unlike the other 2 companies which are so to speak owning the market... neither of them are turning a profit on their endeavors. Nintendo still remains the most profitable gaming company every quarter, with the exception of that one quarter last year where they came in 2nd to Konomi I think.

If Nintendo's strategy based off the speculation that all the consoles will eventually do the same things, and only the unique one will stand out, then they need to make their console be able to run the lowest common denominator, and be able to have specs that can run all the games that the Xbox 360 and PS3 run, and then some. For all we know, Nintendo might just be lying about the Revolution only being 2-3x the GC... while they are waiting for the chip to be finalized by IBM, possibly a convinent way of telling a half truth without falsely advertising.

Quote:Nintendo has to find a balance between what the average consumer wants and trying differentiate themselves from the other two companies. It's difficult, but that's what they've got to do.

Yes, that's what they are trying, but is it working, and are they actually doing things consumers want? Those questions have much less certain answers, that's for sure... but looking at their market share over time, I'm sure it's been gradually eroding for a long time now. Their current strategy is not reversing that.

Quote:Failing miserably ? Perhaps, but what I'm thinking is that they were never out to win the last 2 generations anyways. Sometimes, the strategy may be to just hang in there and let the big guys kill each other and then you take the winnings when they've exhausted themselves. If you haven't noticed, unlike the other 2 companies which are so to speak owning the market... neither of them are turning a profit on their endeavors. Nintendo still remains the most profitable gaming company every quarter, with the exception of that one quarter last year where they came in 2nd to Konomi I think.

Yes, Nintendo definitely sends the signal that they don't really care about winning, that's for sure... they'd obviously rather do what they think is right than win. Though they do care about making money, as long as they do so they don't appear to mind much if they're in third...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 30th May 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/20/news_6126197.html

Don't worry, the analysts are back to normal...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 30th May 2005

Dunno

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - N_A - 30th May 2005

Big deal, Nintendo didn't reveal anything anyways, so by default, theres no way you can really win the show by being truant. Which means Nintendo didn't go to the show expecting to "win."

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 31st May 2005

It doesn't matter who the analysts think won, what DOES matter is who the consumers think won.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 31st May 2005

Which was... Nintendo?

http://toastyfrog.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=5019063&publicUserId=5379721

(this link that article has is pretty interesting too... http://forums.gaming-age.com/showthread.php?t=49536 read both links.)

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - N_A - 31st May 2005

Actually, it does matter what reputable analysts say. Now, who is pulling the strings behind these analysts, no one can say, but what they say skews the mind of the consumer, and more importantly the minds of the investors as well. If the analysts convince the investors that X company will succeed over Y company, they will invest in X company. X company will have more power, and game developers will flock to them with the same attitude. Y company will feel the effect of abandonment, and its stocks will fall. All this put together will of course determine how many games are out for X and Y consoles, hence determining how the casual gamers make their purchases and form their attitudes towards X and Y companies. Therefore, analysts are very powerful people in any industry.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 4th June 2005

But how often are these people actually right, N_A?

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 4th June 2005

Considering how often they predict doom and gloom for Nintendo, not very often.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 4th June 2005

Exactly.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - N_A - 5th June 2005

Thats because Nintendo can handle their consoles and sell them with first party games alone. It is not untrue that 3rd party abandonment has happened even on the Gamecube.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - The Former DMiller - 5th June 2005

I know this has been said 1000 times before, but the only way 3rd party games sell on the GameCube is if they are exclusive like Resident Evil 4, or include something Nintendo-related like Soul Calibur. I think for Nintendo to help out third parties they should offer to help them include something exclusive like Namco did by including Link in Soul Calibur. It can be something small, but even a little addition can help sell those games.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2005

Quote:I know this has been said 1000 times before, but the only way 3rd party games sell on the GameCube is if they are exclusive like Resident Evil 4, or include something Nintendo-related like Soul Calibur.

It has, and that's because its true... well, not the ONLY way, but definitely the primary way.

Though it's not like all of the Nintendo-exclusive games have exactly sold fantastically well...

Quote:I think for Nintendo to help out third parties they should offer to help them include something exclusive like Namco did by including Link in Soul Calibur. It can be something small, but even a little addition can help sell those games.

The problem is, Nintendo gets the games it pays for, and maybe a couple others, and that's it... the companies continue to release the vast majority of their titles on other systems only.

Quote:Thats because Nintendo can handle their consoles and sell them with first party games alone. It is not untrue that 3rd party abandonment has happened even on the Gamecube.

I'd say that the situation is no better than it was with the N64...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2005

I think that's what he was saying.

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2005

The last comment? For a while the GC seemed to have a chance to surpass the N64 on the issue, but since it's fallen off so steeply that I have to wonder if it's even kept pace with the N64's number of releases... this christmas season it'll be the fourth anniversary of the GC's launch. For the N64 the equivilant time would be christmas '99... it is likely that the GC is doing better. But after how Nintendo said all that stuff about changing what went wrong and fixing third-party relationships and getting more titles released, they sure haven't done much to go about that. I know, they've done some things... but always lagging behind the competition and never enough...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2005

Every new generation we think that Nintendo might finally get their act together...

In an astounding turn of events, a market analyst says something good about Nintendo - The Former DMiller - 5th June 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:Every new generation we think that Nintendo might finally get their act together...

Yeah, but with the Revolution they will finally figure it out. :)

Maybe!

I'm doubtful, on the 'third parties' and 'vaguely equal software support' front after all of the comments we've gotten from Nintendo about how the third parties don't have devkits yet, how they act like they don't care if third parties make games for the revolution (you know, the 'if they get it they will make games for it(, if not oh well)' stuff... not encouraging.)... I hope, but they don't seem to be doing much to make anything change. I'd say that they are clearly happy with where they are...