Tendo City
The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread (/showthread.php?tid=2924)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 18th May 2005

And it's definately as good as they say it is. While the first half of the movie is on par with episodes 1 and 2, the last half is as powerful (or more so) than any other movie in the series. The climax is just beautiful in it's execution, and wrought with emotion.

I won't give anything away just yet, but it's a very powerful movie, and wraps everything up nicely. The only possible complaint, which is almost a compliment, is that it does exactly what everyone expected, and wanted, it to do.

Edit: Well, it's 3am in the morning, and I can't exactly remember everything I wanted to type in this space, but I will say this: It left me wanting to watch episodes 4,5 and 6 all over again... now if only they could improve the light-saber fight in Episode 4 between OB1 and Vader. After watching Episode 3, it's almost an anti-climax.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - geoboy - 19th May 2005

I figured we need a new thread for those of us who have seen the movie. Obviously this thread will contain spoilers, so there is no need to use the spoiler tag. If you don't want the movie to be spoiled, simply avoid this thread. :P

So yeah. I just got back from it and it is now about 3:30 A.M. as I am typing this. My immediate first impression of the movie was "HOLY SHIT". Seriously. I can't put it better. Before the movie I was wondering the whole time "what is gonna compel Anakin turn to the dark side? How is the fight with Obi Wan gonna turn out? I must say that the climax of the fight was not at all what I imagined. It was incredibly emotional. And graphic. I would definitely not take a kid to see it. I guarantee you that the line "But you were the chosen one!" is gonna be the big memorable quote from this one like "Luke, I am your father" was to <i>Empire Strikes Back</i>.

Well I'm done posting for now. I'm tired. I'll post more tomorrow.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - geoboy - 19th May 2005

I also want to add (before I go to bed) that while this movie was very well constructed and an incredible joy to watch, some of the scenes fell flat unsurprisingly to the acting. The biggest one being when Vader falls to his knees screaming "NOOOOOO" in reaction to Padme's death. It just seemed a little... awkward. The audience actually laughed at it because it was so friggin' cheesey.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - alien space marine - 19th May 2005

Well I felt sad It was so touching and depressing seeing everyone get murderd.

Well my sole complaint is that , Anakin sudden switch over seemed rushed , His fall to the dark side seemed off , One momment he regrets helping kill Mace Windu ,Then momments later bows down to Palpatine pledging alligeance.

Here is how I would redo it.

They should have added a fight scene to have Anakin get smacked by Sidious, Then have him say "Well if you will not help me do what needs to be done , Then I soppose your wife will have to face her fate without any hope of recovery through the force by the methods I can give you".

Anakin stops for a momment and then says " You leave me no choice" .

Sidious : Good I see you have come to your senses.

Sidious Instructs him to reach out and grab the force and its darkess corners.

Anakin does as requested and the two reach out and do a strange ritual.

Change to another scene then come back

Have Anakin all devilish in the eyes , Then gets knighted as a Sith and gets the "Darth Vader" title.Then we know the rest.

It will change the experience of seeing the OT especially "A New hope"

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 19th May 2005

I just saw the film and it blew away my expectations. Even though I had my right eye closed half of the time because of a bad contect lense, even though my tooth was hurting, and even though there were three incredibly annoying teenage girls right behind me, kicking my seat and talking/giggling throughout the entire picture... it simply amazed me. It was everything that I wanted and more.

As for that Vader criticism, of course it was awkard. Here we have a man who for all of our lives has been seen as the ultimate bad guy. The perfect, composed villain. And then we see him born, staggering in his new robotic body and just having found out that his wife has died. It was James Earl Jones (well, kinda) crying "NOOOO". That makes it inherently awkward.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 19th May 2005

Oh and one more thing: Palpatine owned the movie. He was so damn good.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - alien space marine - 19th May 2005

Force lightening seemed more powerful in this movie.

I always thought it was acid that screwed Vaders body it ends up being that he was burnt and toasted set a ablaze.Kind of cool!

Grevious was more gay then I expected , He got owned!

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 19th May 2005

WTF?!

I made a topic in the appropriate forum about 17 hours before geoboy made this topic, and nobody replied. What gives?? I was checking in every 5 minutes thinking that you all would have been all over my topic.

Fuck you geoboy, and your innappropriate forum usage. And fuck the rest of you for ignoring the real Episode 3 viewing thread! Fuckers.

Oh, and OB1 owned the movie, IMO. :)

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 19th May 2005

>>>>>>>>Well my sole complaint is that , Anakin sudden switch over seemed rushed , His fall to the dark side seemed off , One momment he regrets helping kill Mace Windu ,Then momments later bows down to Palpatine pledging alligeance.<<<<<<<<<

What? He never admitted that he regretted killing Windu, he was just confused. "What have I done!?". That was the turning point. Before that he was tempted, but not with the Dark Side. It was almost as though after that, there was no turning back.

His change to the dark side was done perfectly, IMO.

Oh, and by the way, he didn't kill Windu. Windu probably would have died regardless of Anakin's interferance (though, Sidious knew that Anakin would interfere..)

I've seen the movie twice now, and it was even better the second time.

OB1's confrontation of Anakin was the best part of the movie. Seeing him at the top of the ramp gave me goosebumps in a major way. Major respect for OB1 now. He totally stole the show. Even away from Palps. IMO

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Laser Link - 19th May 2005

I just wanted to take the time and effort to post in this thread in order to interrupt your conversation and anger all of you by saying that I simply don't care about Star Wars. The only reason I was excited is because my friends and I were going to drive around to the theaters with video cameras and look for freaks, but then I forgot the movie was coming out and we didn't do it.

Thank you.
:evil:

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Laser Link - 19th May 2005

And I wanted to post again to say that OB1's dumb avatar is really confusing me. I was thinking about how wierd it was that ABF was posting a lot in this thread, but I hadn't seen OB1 yet.

Explode
^
|
|
|
I forgot about that one. Hahaha!

Haha, I aim to confuse.

And Hudson, I'll merge this thread with yours.

Quote:>>>>>>>>Well my sole complaint is that , Anakin sudden switch over seemed rushed , His fall to the dark side seemed off , One momment he regrets helping kill Mace Windu ,Then momments later bows down to Palpatine pledging alligeance.<<<<<<<<<

What? He never admitted that he regretted killing Windu, he was just confused. "What have I done!?". That was the turning point. Before that he was tempted, but not with the Dark Side. It was almost as though after that, there was no turning back.

His change to the dark side was done perfectly, IMO.

Oh, and by the way, he didn't kill Windu. Windu probably would have died regardless of Anakin's interferance (though, Sidious knew that Anakin would interfere..)

Absolutely, I totally agree.

His turn did seem fast, but everything that was needed was there. And it's not like he completely switched to evil. When he accepted the role of Dark Lord it was only a means to saving his wife. It was not until the end of the movie that his turn was complete.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 19th May 2005

You all need to pull your heads out of George Lucas' ass. You're all so in love with him that he could've used nothing more than ten minutes of washing machine stock footage, and you ALL would still have been blown away by it.

I was really excited about this one, Episode III.

I'd been looking forward to it for...well, years, really.

And George Lucas did not fail...

...to disappoint me.

I realized within the first few minutes that it would be a poorly filmed 2-hour videogame commercial. Gone is the gritty realism (how abouy real fucking flesh-and-blood actors?) of the 70's and 80's. Gone is the good soundtrack (Episode III's music has nothing on Episodes IV-VI, or even I or II.) Gone is all of that great mystery that has surrounded the birth of Vader for the past 28 years. My grievances are countless, but amongst them:

--Horrible, 6th-grade-level, overly theatrical dialogue.

--Horrible acting, including the laughably unconvincing "emotional" scenes.

--Fighters suspiciously like X-wings? And here I thought that Incom defected to the Alliance with this sleek all-original design. Nope.

--Chewbacca saved Yoda. Really. Of all the infinite gajillions of beings in the Star Wars galaxy, is just happens to be Chewbacca. No shit.

--Anakin goes from being horrified about killing Mace Windu to unquestioning Palpatine-goon in... what, 10 seconds? That was easy.

--Yoda tries once to kill Palpatine, and safely escaping, abdicates? No second try?

--Padme dies of a broken heart...? Little less lame, please.

--The Tantive IV does not look like the Tantive IV in Episode IV. Sadly, like every other ship on Episodes I-III, it looks like a flashy and colorful videogame cutscene.

--The Death Star was begun during the course of Episode III; and is only finished in Episode IV: That's twenty years. Yet the Death Star II is built between episodes V and VI; two years. Hmmm.

--General Grievous' gigantic space cruiser can be successfully piloted, even broke in two, and flaming out of control, by one person...?

--Obi-Wan and Yoda find the surveillance footage of Palpatine killing everyone, and surely they show him confessing to being a Sith lord... couldn't they foil his plot by releasing this to the Holonet?

--Only about three of the six thousand scenes were actually built in the real world; the rest were about as convincingly real as something a kindergartener could've sketched out with a crayon.

--It didn't take very much convincing for Anakin to turn evil, and try to kill Obi-Wan. And since he only turns evil for Padme, when he sees Padme pleading with him, why doesn't he come to his senses...?

--The entire Republic military is comprised of a bunch of clones and the Jedi? Really? There aren't like any officers, or engineers, or quartermasters... just clone troopers and a few Jedi?

--George Lucas destroyed the awesome, fearful, ominous aura of evil that Palpatine had in Episode VI. In Episode III, he's just a wrinkly-faced acrobat in one scene, and in the other he whines like a fucking girl. He's evil, yes, but... I just can't respect his character anymore.

--If it took ten seconds of force lightning to permanently scar Palpatine in Episode III, why wasn't Luke permanently scarred on the Second Death Star? And it was HIS OWN goddamn force lightning... why didn't he just stop trying to use it on Mace Windu, seeing how it was being reflected back at himself?

--Did General Grievous' character serve ANY POINT AT ALL, or is Lucas simply trying to dazzle people with an overly elaborate action figure?

--"Yoda will always been friend to the Wookies." Corniest. Line. Ever.

--Is the entire galaxy so stupid that its Senatorial delegations didn't even question Palpatine? I mean, he's obviously evil; he sounds evil, and he's ugly... and when he declares the Empire, they only applaud? Poor script x10.

--The ending was so confusingly and poorly jumbled together, it... well it just sucked. And they throw in Moff Tarkin too, just to get a rise out of us old school fans. How financially lucrative of Lucas.

--Episode IV took place one one planet, one space station, and one moon. Episode V took place on two planets. Episode VI, two planets. All of these were shot in real environments, here on Earth, so they looked very real. And they had real actors. It was, in essence, "real". Episode III: Six or seven brightly colored, overly stimulating and very fake-looking videogame maps; populated by a galaxy of pixelated denizens.

--In a galaxy where trans-galactic space travel is a daily routine, there is no way or easing the pain of a mother in childbirth... as we can see, as Padme is in agony. Hmmm.

--Padme just makes up the names Luke and Leia on her deathbed. No backstory there, just... random?

--Anakin/Darth Vader closely interracts with R2-D2 and he even built C3PO. This is essential to the plots of Episodes I-III. So, why is it that in Episodes IV-VI, he does not even acknowledge them? Wouldn't he at least react to seeing them, after so much of his youth was spent with them?

--Darth Vader is born on an operating table. This whole scene was very reminescent of a Frankenstein theme. In Star Wars, that is nothing short of hysterically dumb. I shuddered as I watch it on the screen. Is he the all-powerful Dark Lord of the Sith, or is he Frankenstein?

--It is because of his love for Padme that Anakin succumbs to the Dark Side. After all that he did in the name of that love, when he learns of her death, all he does is throw a fit and scream "no?" That whole scene was spoon-gaggingly lame.

------More to come.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 20th May 2005

Quote:I just felt Anakin coversion was way to fast , Well I guess its just one 2 and half hour movie.I think this should have started since Episode II, Then you can say Anakin and Palps had some more extensive history prior.

Uhh.. it did start in Episode 2. Maybe you need to watch it again. And during key scenes in Episode 2 they even played parts of the Imperial March theme to drive the point home that he is filled with hate and anger and jealousy and attachment, etc. etc.

Quote:--Chewbacca saved Yoda. Really. Of all the infinite gajillions of beings in the Star Wars galaxy, is just happens to be Chewbacca. No shit.

Wtf? First of all, Chewbaccca doesn't save Yoda at all. He just happens to make a cameo as one of two surviving wookies. Given that he's one of the last of his species, it shouldn't be so much of a coincidence that he is also the wookie that appears in the later episodes. And given that his entire planet was wiped out in Episode 3, that gives him perfect motivation to join the rebels against the Empire.

Quote:--Anakin goes from being horrified about killing Mace Windu to unquestioning Palpatine-goon in... what, 10 seconds? That was easy.

Again, there's another discussion going on about this, but it's not as though this all happens in 10 seconds. His mind has been warped and twisted with hate and anger since Episode 2, and there were any scenes in Episode 3 in which he was just becoming more and more confused.

Quote:--Yoda tries once to kill Palpatine, and safely escaping, abdicates? No second try?

He caught him by surprise. The next time Sidious is shown he has guards with him. Would be much harder trying to take on someone of (near) equal power with many other people involved. He probably gives up because he understands that it's better to secure his own life and wait for the right moment to re-emerge.

Quote:--The Death Star was begun during the course of Episode III; and is only finished in Episode IV: That's twenty years. Yet the Death Star II is built between episodes V and VI; two years. Hmmm.

This is something I'm not sure on given that I haven't seen the later episodes in a lonmg time, but what if the 2nd Death Star had already been started years earlier.. Besides that, there are many other reasons why they might have wanted to hastily build the second death star.

Quote:--General Grievous' gigantic space cruiser can be successfully piloted, even broke in two, and flaming out of control, by one person...?

Well, two people. But I would not call that piloting. All they (might have) achieved was to alter it's trajectory so as to avoid a head on colision and land as safely as possible.

Quote:--It didn't take very much convincing for Anakin to turn evil, and try to kill Obi-Wan. And since he only turns evil for Padme, when he sees Padme pleading with him, why doesn't he come to his senses...?

Erm Riiiight... Because by the end of the movie Anakin was perfectly sound of mind.. He wasn't twisted by the dark side, manipulated by Sidious, and what he had done at all.

Quote:--Only about three of the six thousand scenes were actually built in the real world; the rest were about as convincingly real as something a kindergartener could've sketched out with a crayon.

Erm Riiiight...

Quote:--George Lucas destroyed the awesome, fearful, ominous aura of evil that Palpatine had in Episode VI. In Episode III, he's just a wrinkly-faced acrobat in one scene, and in the other he whines like a fucking girl. He's evil, yes, but... I just can't respect his character anymore.

Destroyed it?? He only enhanced it. Just a wrikly faced acrobat? Riiiight.. Whines like a girl? You mean where he's complaining about being weak when Windu is about to kill him? You know he was just pretending, right? And he was in more than 2 scenes of the movie, btw.. Other scenes also enhance his character. Particularly his manipulation of Anakin, and his speech to the senate.

Quote:--Did General Grievous' character serve ANY POINT AT ALL, or is Lucas simply trying to dazzle people with an overly elaborate action figure?

He was a very important plot device. And made for some great visual candy.

Quote:--If it took ten seconds of force lightning to permanently scar Palpatine in Episode III, why wasn't Luke permanently scarred on the Second Death Star? And it was HIS OWN goddamn force lightning... why didn't he just stop trying to use it on Mace Windu, seeing how it was being reflected back at himself?

Another very careful move on his behalf to show how 'weak' he was (though he was not weak at all) to manipulate Anakin. Everything he did he had planned perfectly to get Anakin to join him.

Quote:--Is the entire galaxy so stupid that its Senatorial delegations didn't even question Palpatine? I mean, he's obviously evil; he sounds evil, and he's ugly... and when he declares the Empire, they only applaud? Poor script x10.

Again, he had very carefully manipulated everything. He had complete control and they trusted everything he said. As far as they were concerned he could not set a foot wrong because he was such a brilliant puppeteer.

Quote:--The ending was so confusingly and poorly jumbled together, it... well it just sucked. And they throw in Moff Tarkin too, just to get a rise out of us old school fans. How financially lucrative of Lucas.

I think I know why you were confused. You're an idiot.

Quote:--Episode IV took place one one planet, one space station, and one moon. Episode V took place on two planets. Episode VI, two planets. All of these were shot in real environments, here on Earth, so they looked very real. And they had real actors. It was, in essence, "real". Episode III: Six or seven brightly colored, overly stimulating and very fake-looking videogame maps; populated by a galaxy of pixelated denizens.

Uhh... there were a lot of things in the original 3 episodes that looked far more fake than anything in the latest installments.

Quote:--Padme just makes up the names Luke and Leia on her deathbed. No backstory there, just... random?

I'm sure she had plenty of time to think about the names during the 9 months of gestation.

Quote:--In a galaxy where trans-galactic space travel is a daily routine, there is no way or easing the pain of a mother in childbirth... as we can see, as Padme is in agony. Hmmm.

Erm Something tells me that the birth was unexpected and they didn't exactly have the best facilities available where they were. Given that they weren't exactly in the best hospital of the galaxy.

Quote:--Anakin/Darth Vader closely interracts with R2-D2 and he even built C3PO. This is essential to the plots of Episodes I-III. So, why is it that in Episodes IV-VI, he does not even acknowledge them? Wouldn't he at least react to seeing them, after so much of his youth was spent with them?

Uhh.. their memory banks were wiped at the end of Episode 3. This was clearly shown. At least C3PO's was. I doubt whether or not R2-D2 was capable of attachment of any kind.

Edit: Just realised you meant Darth Vader doesn't acknowledge them in any way. I dare say that he is just indifferent to their precense. I don't think he is any longer attached to them.

Quote:--Darth Vader is born on an operating table. This whole scene was very reminescent of a Frankenstein theme. In Star Wars, that is nothing short of hysterically dumb. I shuddered as I watch it on the screen. Is he the all-powerful Dark Lord of the Sith, or is he Frankenstein?

How did you think he became Darth Vader? Some weird disease turning his body into metal?? So what, anyone who is operated on on a table is just ripping off Frankenstein??

Quote:--It is because of his love for Padme that Anakin succumbs to the Dark Side. After all that he did in the name of that love, when he learns of her death, all he does is throw a fit and scream "no?" That whole scene was spoon-gaggingly lame.

Well, it is not just for the love of Padme, despite what Anakin himself says. It's because of his lust for power. Something he himself admits in the movie. He wants more than what the Jedi's will teach him, even though he knows he shouldn't.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 20th May 2005

Well, I saw it, and here's what I have to say.

It was a fun movie. If the script was written with the intention of basically celebrating old movies of the past, he wins. Unfortunatly, my own opinion is that TRYING to perfectly emulate poor writing of the past isn't a good thing.

The very last part was very well done. You could actually FEEL Anakin's failure as he's lying around sans 3 limbs and on fire as hell. He chose the darkness over everything in the end.

Still though, his fall to the dark side was too quick. Palpatine seemed pretty smart right up until he went and spilled the beans WAY too soon. In a cult they don't go THAT fast. They don't go from "you are still a Jedi but check this out, the dark side is AWESOME".

Oh well, at any rate it's exactly what I expected, except I thought Grevious would be cooler considering how cool he was in the animated series. I guess having your lungs collapsed by Mace can do that to you... But, in the movie he seemed like a total wuss.

Oh and, is it just me or do light saber battles look less like talented skill and more like just randomly trying to bash the other guy to death?

And wow, he sorta broke off that operating table like Frankenstein's monster didn't he? Why was he even shackled down anyway? Then he screams like Calculon.

Lucas: No you have to EMOTE!

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Private Hudson - 20th May 2005

He was shackled down because if he wasn't he would have struggled free because of the pain...

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 20th May 2005

Wtf? First of all, Chewbaccca doesn't save Yoda at all. He just happens to make a cameo as one of two surviving wookies. Given that he's one of the last of his species, it shouldn't be so much of a coincidence that he is also the wookie that appears in the later episodes. And given that his entire planet was wiped out in Episode 3, that gives him perfect motivation to join the rebels against the Empire.

I don't recall Kashyyyk being wiped out... I only recall there being two Wookies in the end, but it got wiped out? And I'm just saying that two enormous characters in Episodes IV-VI meet in Episode III... it's making it "too small of a world" if everyone from those episodes meets everyone in these episodes. Boba Fett, Captain Antilles now, Chewbacca, etc... ? It's a galaxy, and everyone is constantly being reused in the scripts as if... oh forget it, you do not, can not, and will not understand my point.

Again, there's another discussion going on about this, but it's not as though this all happens in 10 seconds. His mind has been warped and twisted with hate and anger since Episode 2, and there were any scenes in Episode 3 in which he was just becoming more and more confused.

Watch it again, it does happen insomething like 10-30 seconds. He marches in, and sternly lobbies Mace Windu to leave Palpatine alive. Having failed, he cuts his hand/arm off. Immediately after, he exclaimes "what have I done!", AND THEN HE IMMEDIATELY swears fealty to the Emperor. It just happened too fast; there should have been more conflict within Anakin than that.

He caught him by surprise. The next time Sidious is shown he has guards with him. Would be much harder trying to take on someone of (near) equal power with many other people involved. He probably gives up because he understands that it's better to secure his own life and wait for the right moment to re-emerge.

I know you're trying to justify it, but you can't--no one can. Palpatine had two Imperial bodyguards when Yoda attacked him. And seeing as the Emperor's ruled destroyed whole worlds, enslaved whole lraces, and killed countless billions, wouldn't it HAVE BEEN WORTH A SECOND TRY, YODA? At least he should have tried to form a resistance, as with Bail Organa? No, my friend, you can't justify his abdication. Why? Because Lucas added him in Episode V, and his character was never meant to appear before that. In trying to force Yoda into it, he has all of these questionable plotholes.

This is something I'm not sure on given that I haven't seen the later episodes in a lonmg time, but what if the 2nd Death Star had already been started years earlier.. Besides that, there are many other reasons why they might have wanted to hastily build the second death star.

Perhaps, thats a good guess... but can't you see that you're struggling to come up with answers for Lucas here, you're not actually stating factual responses? Just admit that some things are inexplicable.

[/b]Well, two people. But I would not call that piloting. All they (might have) achieved was to alter it's trajectory so as to avoid a head on colision and land as safely as possible.[/b]

One person--Obi-wan didn't fly it. Anakiin PILOTED IT... he guided it from outer space onto a relatively small landing area in a super city, whereon if he'd missed he could've killed thousands of civilians. He piloted it knowing that he would be able to. Unrealistic, bad writing there. He never said "oh wait--what if I can't do this...?" He's Anakin Skywalker, not god.

Riiiight... Because by the end of the movie Anakin was perfectly sound of mind.. He wasn't twisted by the dark side, manipulated by Sidious, and what he had done at all.

Sound of mind or not, if he loved Padme, it should've made a difference to him.

Maybe I just have better perception than the other 6 billions people out there, because those backgrounds and sets looked like they'd been done on MS Paint (sarcasm). But since it's just a difference of opinion, there is no point in arguing this any further.

Destroyed it?? He only enhanced it. Just a wrikly faced acrobat? Riiiight.. Whines like a girl? You mean where he's complaining about being weak when Windu is about to kill him? You know he was just pretending, right? And he was in more than 2 scenes of the movie, btw.. Other scenes also enhance his character. Particularly his manipulation of Anakin, and his speech to the senate.

I have nothing but respect for Ian McDiarmid. But when I thought of Palpatine in the pre-prequels world, I thought of him as being a dark, silent, old, wicked, conservatively-mannered politician. Seeing him so "active" and colorful destroyed MY perception of that anyway; and clearly the rest of the world prefers the acrobatic/whiney version anyway.

I wouldn't call him VERY important... he could have just used Christopher Lee for another half hour. General Grievous was too elaborate to just be in the movie for that short a time, and to do so little.

Another very careful move on his behalf to show how 'weak' he was (though he was not weak at all) to manipulate Anakin. Everything he did he had planned perfectly to get Anakin to join him.

I dunno... I still think Palpatine could've found a better way that wouldn't have scarred him for life... and I still argue that he shoudn't have been scarred that easily, as Luke wasn't.

Again, he had very carefully manipulated everything. He had complete control and they trusted everything he said. As far as they were concerned he could not set a foot wrong because he was such a brilliant puppeteer.

I understand that, but there has to have been some questioning element in all of the galaxy, beyond Bail Organa?

I think I know why you were confused. You're an idiot.

I wasn't confused, kind sir, I said it was confusingly jumbled together. It hopped from one scene to another and then back and forth, and it tried to blend too much plot over the course of ten minutes. I just don't think that it was done well.[/b]

Uhh... there were a lot of things in the original 3 episodes that looked far more fake than anything in the latest installments.

Even the fakest elements of Episodes IV-VI seem pale next to the Photoshop abominations of the prequels.

I'm sure she had plenty of time to think about the names during the 9 months of gestation.

That's a poor counter argument to have made, as all you did was venture a guess.

Something tells me that the birth was unexpected and they didn't exactly have the best facilities available where they were. Given that they weren't exactly in the best hospital of the galaxy.

She delivered the children in some manner of a hospital room, with state-of-the-art (however cartoon-like and stupid) medical droids. I think at least one of them knew something about anesthesia.

Uhh.. their memory banks were wiped at the end of Episode 3. This was clearly shown. At least C3PO's was. I doubt whether or not R2-D2 was capable of attachment of any kind.

I KNOW why THEY don't remember him; why doesn't HE remember THEM? He flies with R2-D2 as his wingman throughout the Clone Wars, and then never sees him again until on the Death Star in Episode IV, and then again on Bespin in TESB. No reaction or anything? That's just dumb. That's just another way how the two trilogies conflict and don't blend all that well.

How did you think he became Darth Vader? Some weird disease turning his body into metal?? So what, anyone who is operated on on a table is just ripping off Frankenstein??

I knew he was surgically rebuilt after a confrontation on a lava-world with Obi-Wan... it's just the way that they filmed it that I didn't like.

Well, it is not just for the love of Padme, despite what Anakin himself says. It's because of his lust for power. Something he himself admits in the movie. He wants more than what the Jedi's will teach him, even though he knows he shouldn't

Good point, I concur.

...and then DJ says,

The very last part was very well done. You could actually FEEL Anakin's failure as he's lying around sans 3 limbs and on fire as hell. He chose the darkness over everything in the end.

Yes, that was a very well-filmed sequence, with Anakin on the shores, just sizzling with hatred... and Obi-Wan's almost in tears, saying "you were like a brother to me!" That was a powerful scene indeed.

Still though, his fall to the dark side was too quick. Palpatine seemed pretty smart right up until he went and spilled the beans WAY too soon. In a cult they don't go THAT fast. They don't go from "you are still a Jedi but check this out, the dark side is AWESOME".

I don't think anybody here is arguing that his fall wasn't done too hastily. That was an enormous speedbump in the storywriting.

Oh well, at any rate it's exactly what I expected, except I thought Grevious would be cooler considering how cool he was in the animated series. I guess having your lungs collapsed by Mace can do that to you... But, in the movie he seemed like a total wuss.

Yea; pretty much.

Oh and, is it just me or do light saber battles look less like talented skill and more like just randomly trying to bash the other guy to death?

I suppose that's true; they have lost a lot of their fencing form.

And wow, he sorta broke off that operating table like Frankenstein's monster didn't he? Why was he even shackled down anyway? Then he screams like Calculon.

Thank you for clarifying that for me, DJ! That's exactly what I was trying to say; I hated that scene, it was lame and cheesey. I would've thought he would've been in a bacta tank for...like a century, not latched to a table like a lame Frankenstein parody.

Darunia Wrote:I don't recall Kashyyyk being wiped out... I only recall there being two Wookies in the end, but it got wiped out? And I'm just saying that two enormous characters in Episodes IV-VI meet in Episode III... it's making it "too small of a world" if everyone from those episodes meets everyone in these episodes. Boba Fett, Captain Antilles now, Chewbacca, etc... ? It's a galaxy, and everyone is constantly being reused in the scripts as if... oh forget it, you do not, can not, and will not understand my point.

Well, from the scenes they showed, they were the only wookies. If they were the only Wookies left. I do understand your point, and I do recognize that Lucas did it to appease hardcore fans (I admit I smiled when I knew it was Chewbacca). But in all honesty, it doesn't come off as cheasy at all to me; it seems perfectly plausible. Particularly when you take into account that the events in Episode 3 give Chewbacca perfect motives for participating in the later episodes.

Quote:Watch it again, it does happen insomething like 10-30 seconds. He marches in, and sternly lobbies Mace Windu to leave Palpatine alive. Having failed, he cuts his hand/arm off. Immediately after, he exclaimes "what have I done!", AND THEN HE IMMEDIATELY swears fealty to the Emperor. It just happened too fast; there should have been more conflict within Anakin than that.

My point was that there was conflict within Anakin since Episode 2. The way he resigns into Dark side seems almost as though he feels he has to. He has given into the temptation that had been dangled in front of him for some time.

Quote:I know you're trying to justify it, but you can't--no one can. Palpatine had two Imperial bodyguards when Yoda attacked him. And seeing as the Emperor's ruled destroyed whole worlds, enslaved whole lraces, and killed countless billions, wouldn't it HAVE BEEN WORTH A SECOND TRY, YODA? At least he should have tried to form a resistance, as with Bail Organa? No, my friend, you can't justify his abdication. Why? Because Lucas added him in Episode V, and his character was never meant to appear before that. In trying to force Yoda into it, he has all of these questionable plotholes.

Yoda failed to defeat him the first time, what logic is there in fighting him a second time when he would be more well prepared?? There is far greater logic in leaving, and waiting until the time is right to take him on again. Which is what he did. Had he gone on to try and fight him again, and died, then Episodes 4,5,6 wouldn't have had a happy ending. :p

Quote:Perhaps, thats a good guess... but can't you see that you're struggling to come up with answers for Lucas here, you're not actually stating factual responses? Just admit that some things are inexplicable.

It seems to me like you're struggling to come up with flaws. It's a perfectly logical solution to a 'mistake' that doesn't really exist.

Quote:One person--Obi-wan didn't fly it. Anakiin PILOTED IT... he guided it from outer space onto a relatively small landing area in a super city, whereon if he'd missed he could've killed thousands of civilians. He piloted it knowing that he would be able to. Unrealistic, bad writing there. He never said "oh wait--what if I can't do this...?" He's Anakin Skywalker, not god.

He participated. And Anakin didn't pilot it. He even says that being able to pilot the ship is irrelevent, because the best he can hope to do is not crash it in the worst possible way. He guided it to a relatively safe landing. And he is also cocky, arrogant and brash. There was no time for self-doubt. He was in a situation and had to address it properly. By doing his best to land safely.

Quote:Sound of mind or not, if he loved Padme, it should've made a difference to him.

Instead, he took it as an insult. He's done all this 'for her', yet she doesn't appreciate it. She's been influenced by someone he now hates and has turned against him. This merely serves to feed his hate and anger even further. I'd say the only reason he didn't kill her is because he loved her, so it did make some difference.

Quote:Maybe I just have better perception than the other 6 billions people out there, because those backgrounds and sets looked like they'd been done on MS Paint (sarcasm). But since it's just a difference of opinion, there is no point in arguing this any further.

The only thing that I could think of that could be construed as slightly lame is the world with all the colorful giant flowers, but that was a stylistic choice, rather than terrible CG..

Quote:I have nothing but respect for Ian McDiarmid. But when I thought of Palpatine in the pre-prequels world, I thought of him as being a dark, silent, old, wicked, conservatively-mannered politician. Seeing him so "active" and colorful destroyed MY perception of that anyway; and clearly the rest of the world prefers the acrobatic/whiney version anyway.

Well, that's an odd way to look at it. He only does a few acrobatic things, and his whining is nothing more than acting. The rest of the time is him showcasing his puppetteering prowess and his knowledge of the force. To me it seems like the same character as in Return of the Jedi, only it showcases him even better.

Quote:I wouldn't call him VERY important... he could have just used Christopher Lee for another half hour. General Grievous was too elaborate to just be in the movie for that short a time, and to do so little.

True, Dooku could have done the same job, but he had already served his purpose as another plot device. If I was to complain about his character, it's that it didn't really show him kicking any ass. I'd have liked to have seen exactly how he obtained those Jedi sabres, to really build up the fight between he and OB1.

Quote:I dunno... I still think Palpatine could've found a better way that wouldn't have scarred him for life... and I still argue that he shoudn't have been scarred that easily, as Luke wasn't.

Well, sometimes in movies some things are better left unexplained. Particularly in fantasy. Here's another plausible explaination that I came up with: It wasn't the lightning that scarred him, but his use of the power. Perhaps it took a lot out of him, so much so that it sped of the aging process 100fold.

Quote:I understand that, but there has to have been some questioning element in all of the galaxy, beyond Bail Organa?

Eh.. They might merely be too scared to question it. Or just far too under his influences. I don't know, it didn't stop me from suspending my disbelief. It's fantasy involving all sorts of magical powers, afterall. And he was influencing everyones minds, consciously and subcounsciously. Everything he did in the movie (and obviously anything that he would have done in the universe that obviously would not be shown in the movie) was plotted and planned by him so as to tighten his strangehold on the senate.

It's almost like arguing: Did no one in Germany disagree with what Hitler was doing?

Quote:I wasn't confused, kind sir, I said it was confusingly jumbled together. It hopped from one scene to another and then back and forth, and it tried to blend too much plot over the course of ten minutes. I just don't think that it was done well.[/b]

It was hardly jumbled together. It was extremely exciting mixing the two final confrontations together.. And what you said implies that it confused you..

Though, we can only agree to disagree. I thought it was done extremely effectively.

Quote:Even the fakest elements of Episodes IV-VI seem pale next to the Photoshop abominations of the prequels.

Erm

Quote:That's a poor counter argument to have made, as all you did was venture a guess.

But you made a stupid arguement. You really think anyone who is pregnant doesn't even bother to even contimplate a babies name until the moment it is born? It's something that doesn't need to be explained.

Quote:She delivered the children in some manner of a hospital room, with state-of-the-art (however cartoon-like and stupid) medical droids. I think at least one of them knew something about anesthesia.

That doesn't necessarily mean that any means of anesthesia is available. Particularly given the rushed/makeshift circumstances that they were in..

Quote:I KNOW why THEY don't remember him; why doesn't HE remember THEM? He flies with R2-D2 as his wingman throughout the Clone Wars, and then never sees him again until on the Death Star in Episode IV, and then again on Bespin in TESB. No reaction or anything? That's just dumb. That's just another way how the two trilogies conflict and don't blend all that well.

Well, Grumbler had a satisfactory explaination in the other thread. I also posted another possible explaination when I editted my above post earlier.

Quote:I knew he was surgically rebuilt after a confrontation on a lava-world with Obi-Wan... it's just the way that they filmed it that I didn't like.

Oh.. well you should have said that. Fair enough. I disagree. But it could be another way of Lucas trying to subconsciously convey Anakin turning into a monster. One who is confused and misunderstood at that..

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 20th May 2005

Hudson, you are fighting a brave battle. I wish I could help, but I've learned over the years that if someone doesn't get Star Wars... they never will. Especially people who think they know anything about storytelling, fight choreography, and dialogue. ;)

As a famous philosopher once said, "Those who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who couldn't hear the music."

Just leave them to their opinions, and pity them, for they can never experience the movies like you or I do.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 20th May 2005

A special note directed to the arrogance of OB1:

Is it possible that I am simply more artistic than you and I see things in a better sense? I think that Titanic was one of the best films ever made simply because it was so well made... just as I think that Episodes IV-VI are some of the best storytelling and filmmaking ever achieved. Episodes I-III fall far, far, far, far away short of that. In that I mean that you are a moron and are less enthralled by good cinema than by flashy, colorful computer graphics. A pile of dogshit with the Fox fanfare preceding it and George Lucas' name stamped into it would make you jizz your pants. It is you who are the pitiful simpleton.

...and now back to the debate!

Well, from the scenes they showed, they were the only wookies. If they were the only Wookies left. I do understand your point, and I do recognize that Lucas did it to appease hardcore fans (I admit I smiled when I knew it was Chewbacca). But in all honesty, it doesn't come off as cheasy at all to me; it seems perfectly plausible. Particularly when you take into account that the events in Episode 3 give Chewbacca perfect motives for participating in the later episodes.

Well at least you see my point without being an egotistical fuckbag like OB1.

My point was that there was conflict within Anakin since Episode 2. The way he resigns into Dark side seems almost as though he feels he has to. He has given into the temptation that had been dangled in front of him for some time.

I understand that the conflict was building for years, and that his angry-dark side are shown throughout Episode II (most notably when he slaughters the Tuskens), but it's the final fall that was too brief. All of that anger, building for years, should have had a huge zenith... it did not. Maybe it's just as well, because I don't think that Christenesen had the skill to perform it anyway.

Yoda failed to defeat him the first time, what logic is there in fighting him a second time when he would be more well prepared?? There is far greater logic in leaving, and waiting until the time is right to take him on again. Which is what he did. Had he gone on to try and fight him again, and died, then Episodes 4,5,6 wouldn't have had a happy ending.

Yoda never tried again--and in fact, it was with enormous, VAST reluctance that he agreed to train Luke. The fact that he simply leaves the hapless galaxy to the whims of Palpatine after a 5-minute battle makes me lose much respect for the wisdom of Yoda.

He participated. And Anakin didn't pilot it. He even says that being able to pilot the ship is irrelevent, because the best he can hope to do is not crash it in the worst possible way. He guided it to a relatively safe landing. And he is also cocky, arrogant and brash. There was no time for self-doubt. He was in a situation and had to address it properly. By doing his best to land safely.

I'll accept that as a reasonably thorough defense and abdicate that point.

Instead, he took it as an insult. He's done all this 'for her', yet she doesn't appreciate it. She's been influenced by someone he now hates and has turned against him. This merely serves to feed his hate and anger even further. I'd say the only reason he didn't kill her is because he loved her, so it did make some difference.

A good insight; I abdicate.

The only thing that I could think of that could be construed as slightly lame is the world with all the colorful giant flowers, but that was a stylistic choice, rather than terrible CG..

That one, above all, made me roll my eyes. I understand that this is a space fantasy, but they should maintain some level of realism... and that one was not at all convincingly well done. A matte painting might have served better, or maybe Lucas should have designed it to be less intricate... he has to live within his means, and computer technology, while very far, cannot create THAT convincing of a world. Not yet.

Well, that's an odd way to look at it. He only does a few acrobatic things, and his whining is nothing more than acting. The rest of the time is him showcasing his puppetteering prowess and his knowledge of the force. To me it seems like the same character as in Return of the Jedi, only it showcases him even better.

I see your point, but I still feel as though the Emperor from RotJ is almost a different character all together. Since this is only a difference of opinion, there is no point in arguing it.

True, Dooku could have done the same job, but he had already served his purpose as another plot device. If I was to complain about his character, it's that it didn't really show him kicking any ass. I'd have liked to have seen exactly how he obtained those Jedi sabres, to really build up the fight between he and OB1.

Maybe what I mean here is that Lucas created an exodus of irrelevent characters. In ANH, there's the principal trio: Luke, Leia, Han.. (and Chewbacca and the droids.) They meet lesser characters, and fight Vader. In TESB, it's them all again... plus Lando, and maybe Boba Fett if you consider him a major character. In ROTJ, it's them all again; plus the Emperor. In these last three, he throws in major, colorful, CG-animated characters way too much. JarJar Binks? Boss Nass... Grievous, those Geonosians... I suppose it's just me, but I'd rather be watching actors than cartoon characters. That's what Star Wars used to be to me. Not a 2.5 hour-long videogame. OB1 will never understand that because he loves that new style of ultra-colorful, ultra-fake filmmaking that I loathe.

Well, sometimes in movies some things are better left unexplained. Particularly in fantasy. Here's another plausible explaination that I came up with: It wasn't the lightning that scarred him, but his use of the power. Perhaps it took a lot out of him, so much so that it sped of the aging process 100fold.

Well maybe, but why didn't that occur again when he used so much more force lightning against Yoda a few scenes later; or on RotJ?

Eh.. They might merely be too scared to question it. Or just far too under his influences. I don't know, it didn't stop me from suspending my disbelief. It's fantasy involving all sorts of magical powers, afterall. And he was influencing everyones minds, consciously and subcounsciously. Everything he did in the movie (and obviously anything that he would have done in the universe that obviously would not be shown in the movie) was plotted and planned by him so as to tighten his strangehold on the senate.

I know how good of a crafty politician he was, but a senate comprised of able-minded delegations from every civilized world, just applaudes it? I can't digest it. I'm being pessimistic maybe, but it's just not convincing to me.

It's almost like arguing: Did no one in Germany disagree with what Hitler was doing?

Yes they did--because that was real-life. Lucas should have added that dissent in his movies to add some reality and make it more believable. Without this extra real dimension, it's just a children's movie. "Don't question it!"

It was hardly jumbled together. It was extremely exciting mixing the two final confrontations together.. And what you said implies that it confused you...

What I said implies that it may be confusing to some. I had no note of reflexion in that statement. Trust me, I had not trouble following the plot. I knew it months in advance.

But you made a stupid arguement. You really think anyone who is pregnant doesn't even bother to even contimplate a babies name until the moment it is born? It's something that doesn't need to be explained.

I just would have liked to know where the names came from, if anywhere.

That doesn't necessarily mean that any means of anesthesia is available. Particularly given the rushed/makeshift circumstances that they were in..

Maybe; but I dunno... anesthesia isn't that hard in any emergency situation even in our world. I can't imagine it's difficult to come across in the Star Wars galaxy. Even just a glass of juri juice...

Oh.. well you should have said that. Fair enough. I disagree. But it could be another way of Lucas trying to subconsciously convey Anakin turning into a monster. One who is confused and misunderstood at that.

All right.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 20th May 2005

Quote:Is it possible that I am simply more artistic than you and I see things in a better sense? I think that Titanic was one of the best films ever made simply because it was so well made... just as I think that Episodes IV-VI are some of the best storytelling and filmmaking ever achieved. Episodes I-III fall far, far, far, far away short of that. In that I mean that you are a moron and are less enthralled by good cinema than by flashy, colorful computer graphics. A pile of dogshit with the Fox fanfare preceding it and George Lucas' name stamped into it would make you jizz your pants. It is you who are the pitiful simpleton.

Hahaha, but of course. Titanic! lol, what a terrific movie. Yeah, you sure have great taste, mon ami.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 20th May 2005

Quote:OB1 will never understand that because he loves that new style of ultra-colorful, ultra-fake filmmaking that I loathe.

CG is no more fake than matte-paintings and plastic models.

Dude, but CG isn't real! Movies have to be literal photography! Fakery and painting-like illusion is simply wrong! MOVIES ARE A LITERAL, PHOTOGRAPHIC MEDIUM.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 20th May 2005

I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!

Citizen Kane, that movie is also dumb because it was a pioneer in visual effects.

I wanted to address one thing that DJ said (well, mainly because I only read one thing in her post...). Grevious was a lot stronger in the cartoon for the same reason Mace Windu was a lot stronger in the cartoon... it was a cartoon. It was exaggerated, stylized SW.

Yeah! And the original Star Wars too! They used all kinds of new [and FAKE!!!] techniques to make the movie look better!

Okay, now I want to say something serious here. People always talk about how the CG makes movies look like videogames, well guess what? Movies had full CG scenes long before videogames even thought using it!

I would be one happy fella if videogames looked like SW.

Yes, indeed.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Dark Jaguar - 20th May 2005

He HAD NO ARMS. They shackled the ARMS they GAVE him. They could have just turned them off. They purposefully made him look like Frankenstein's monster there.

You know, I get that a lot of Star Wars is a tribute to old movies, but just because it was an intended tribute TO crap doesn't make it less crap.

Yeah Frankenstein was a really crappy movie.

You have such great taste in movies, DJ.

It WAS a terrible movie. There's no way you can consider that horrible black and white mutilation of the original book a good movie!

Look, I don't think Star Wars is terrible. If you are looking to entertain kids with a story about evil and then good coming along and spanking evil, and evil redeeming itself, then Star Wars is great. They ARE good movies, but they aren't great.

But hey, maybe it'll win an acadamy award in something other than special effects and prove me wrong.

The 1931 Frankenstein movie is considered by film critics and film fans everywhere to be one of the best horror movies ever created. I suppose you also think that Metropolis is a horrible movie because of its outdated look and unusual (by today's standards) narrative structure. Ooh, and maybe Citizen Kane, as well, or Casablanca. Those movies aren't anything like modern movies, and therefor must SUCK.

On a side note, I can't wait for the DVD for all the deleted scenes. Lucas stated that there are plenty of side stories that he had to edit out of the movie.

That actually wasn't my argument at all. Not being like today's movies has nothing to do with it. You know what? If Star Wars was trying to copy Casablanca, they failed. I dunno, there have been like about a billion Frankenstein movies right? I'm thinking of the one with like... igor and "it's alive, it's alive it's alive!" and it just goes around killing people until they kill him with pitchforks.

I'm not sure why you take it so personally offensive when I say I didn't like the movie. I wasn't targetting you at all. I was just saying my opinion. Stop making everything into a war. It's just a bunch of movies! Yeesh...

Quote:I'm thinking of the one with like... igor

Actually, it's "Fritz"

[Image: morans.jpg]

Dark Jaguar Wrote:That actually wasn't my argument at all. Not being like today's movies has nothing to do with it. You know what? If Star Wars was trying to copy Casablanca, they failed. I dunno, there have been like about a billion Frankenstein movies right? I'm thinking of the one with like... igor and "it's alive, it's alive it's alive!" and it just goes around killing people until they kill him with pitchforks.

I'm not sure why you take it so personally offensive when I say I didn't like the movie. I wasn't targetting you at all. I was just saying my opinion. Stop making everything into a war. It's just a bunch of movies! Yeesh...

DJ, I've never taken any comment you've ever made about a movie offensively. I'm sorry, but I simply don't respect any your opinions on cinema. This is going by movies that you consider good and bad. You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to respect it. :)

And Casablanca? The only similarities SW has with Casablanca is the somewhat similar style of dialogue, but that's shared with most movies from the 40's. And no offence, but you're the last person I know who should say if they managed to emulate that style well or not, considering your understanding of this entire subject.

Again, no offence. I've tried to say this as politely as possible, like I would to someone trying to debate videogames with me who clearly has vey little knowledge of the subject.

Check it:

Box Office Mojo

Well if that's the case then why did you even bother responding? You clearly wanted to insult me, and still are, by saying my opinion is worthless.

Well, this is a step up though. At the very least you are admitting my opinion is my own, as opposed to your previuos tactic of blindly assuming anyone who doesn't like Star Wars is just following the crowd.

That is largely true, but since greatness isn't an objective thing of course not everyone is going to like it. But if you don't think that society has a great influence upon the beliefs and opinions of its people then you are very naive.

I tried my best not to insult you, but I knew you would be insulted since I did basically say that I think your opinion sucks. But what else can I do? I'm being honest here, something that you have said is very important to you. I'm being as tactful as I can be. I responded because that is what you do in message boards. You respond. You either say something new or respond to something someone else wrote.

Luke: Leia do you remember your mother?

Leia: I don't really remember my mother. She was kind, yet sad. She died when I was very young.

Wow, she really picked up a lot about her mother in those, what, first 3 seconds of life?

She was referring to her adopted mother, DJ.

Riiight. (To clarify, I only say that because, well, if that's the case, that entire scene is now pointless. Why do we care that anonymous whatsherface used to be sad?)

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 21st May 2005

Darn nit-pickers.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - OB1 - 21st May 2005

Or, you could say that it was about Padme and that they were "Force memories" or what have you. It's fantasy, so either way works.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Great Rumbler - 21st May 2005

I just cannot stand all the people going around saying "Why doesn't Obiwan recognize C3P0?" or "Why doesn't Vader recognize C3PO" or "Why don't C3P0 and R2D2 recognize Obiwan?" GAH! Make up some excuse for it in your mind and get over it!! It's crazy.

The Episode III spoiler-filled reviews and impressions thread - Darunia - 21st May 2005

Grevious was a lot stronger in the cartoon for the same reason Mace Windu was a lot stronger in the cartoon... it was a cartoon. It was exaggerated, stylized SW.

Episode III was a cartoon too. A computer-animated cartoon, but a cartoon none the less. Episode III was exaggerated. The way the CG characters move was unrealistic and unconvincing. As DJ said, the prequel trilogy was tragically aimed at kids. For example, the annoyingly pathetic droid armies... why give battle droids lame dialogue? Why even have them talk on an audible frequency when they could do it between themselves yet be unheard by others? And why are they programmed to be wimps? They shudder and run and say "uh oh" when they're about to die. And while Ewan McGregor was an excellent actor (and a near perfect match to portray Sir Alec Guiness), when he fights the droids... it's just terrible. He doesn't pause or hesitate, he just rushes through, hacks each one of the 1,000,000 droids he kills once, and they fall apart. Thats the kind of mindless repetition that Doom marketed, but Star Wars? Even the soundtrack was weaker. In Episode V, the soundtrack was so great... every scene had a great original peace. The Battle of Hoth is so great, and I've listened to it so much that I have it entirely memorized, all fourteen minutes and forty-eight seconds of it! And in TESB, the soundtrack is in harmony with every scene of the movie. When we first see Vader on Bespin, all of a sudden, there's a crescendo--Chewbacca howls, and Han draws his blaster only to be thwarted. Then a cascade of stormteoopers---REAL PEOPLE--spring the trap and come in from behind. NOW if that'd been done today, Bespin would've been an overly elaborate page ripped out of a coloring book, and there would've been 30 identical Jango Fetts instead of stormtroopers. And just to amuse the 5-year olds in the audience, there would've been some gay battle droids tripping over things and falling apart as though they were made of porcelain--all to the laughter of the audience. The droids are so ridiculous, that without even trying, Jar Jar Binks killed like five by accident in Episode I! Do you fear those, or roll your eyes at them? Now contrast those to the very-real, ominous stormtroopers from the old trilogy. In ANH, there's great trumpeting fanfare when Luke clashes with the stormtroopers on the Death Star; it enthralls you and brings you into the movie. At the Battle of Endor, you care when the Liberty blows up, because you sympathize with the Alliance. In Episode III, who gives a fuck about the clones? It's just eyecandy. No deep, engrossing emotion. There was very, very little humor in IV-VI... and what there was, was geared towards a generally wide audience. Example: That's because droids don't pull arms out of sockets when they lose. Wookies are known to do that... and Chewbacca leans back, all suave-like. That was funny. By contrast, the constant jokes and visual gags (like in Episode III, when diminuitive underdog R2D2 quity inexplicably yet handily takes on and defeats battledroids with an oil slick and then ignites them with his cute little afterburners,) are dumb. Episodes I-III simply weren't as deep or well-made for many reasons.

He HAD NO ARMS. They shackled the ARMS they GAVE him. They could have just turned them off. They purposefully made him look like Frankenstein's monster there.

I noticed this too. They strapped him down after they added his arms. More brilliant filmmaking by Lucas there.

To the attention of the great and omnipotent OBI and Great Rumbler, who rather than argue a single one of my valid points can only crack two-bit sarcasm:

Titanic WAS a great movie. Any movie combining the skills of James Cameron and James Horner cannot be anything less than amazing. Terminator II, perhaps you've heard of it? Oh--but George Lucas didn't make that one, and there's virtually not CG in it---so you wouldn't be interested in that crappy, old-fashioned thing.

Wow, she really picked up a lot about her mother in those, what, first 3 seconds of life?

LOL--check and mate, DJ! Cool

I also love how OB1 ATTEMPTED to explain that, but failing miserably, he just shoves his hands into his pockets, stares at the ground, and mumbles how we're just stupid nitpickers. I just wanted to discuss what I didn't like about the movie with people here, but leave it to OBI to walk into the thread, look around, slap around some witless banter, and then declare that his time is too important to bother rebuking the very valid drawbacks of the very imperfect prequel trilogy. Things never change here.