Tendo City
Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* (/showthread.php?tid=2869)

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - A Black Falcon - 15th May 2005

I watched the fourth-from-last episode (Terra Prime or something), and it was typical mediocre Enterprise. Didn't bother to watch the last three. After reading about the last episode, I can't say I'm sorry.

... Andromeda, though, is also being cancelled, after five seasons... and I care a whole lot more about that one. Great show. I know a lot of people have disliked it for four years (the first year was more popular with hardcore scifi fans), but I've consistently liked it all along and definitely consider it to be good scifi. I watched the episode today (second from last), and it was great... made me wish I hadn't missed as many episodes of the show as I have (though I have watched the show fairly regularly for all five seasons, I don't see every episode, unfortunately), and definitely made me sorry that it's almost over. Shows that good shouldn't die like this... :( (but at least they were given warning and had time to make an ending... *coughFarscapecough*...)

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - Dark Lord Neo - 15th May 2005

I missed the begining of the last episode so I'm probably interpreting this wrong.
As far as I know, chef was never show on the series, and on this episode the crew was shown talking to chef, chef being none other than Commander Riker. Riker was apparently participating in the show using th holodeck on the Enterprise-D. So, was the whole series really just Riker watching from the sidelines useing the holodeck? And if so how much was stuff that actually happend and how much was the holodeck's interpretation of events, wich would probably be dramatized to make it more interesting? Was Riker the Chef they always spoke of and never showed all along?

No, I think just that episode was on the holodeck. Riker was using it as inspiration... it fits in between two Next Generation episodes.

But yes, Chef was never actually shown in the show. And Riker isn't Chef. He's just playing him in the holodeck -- you know, a recreation of these famous historical events...

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - alien space marine - 15th May 2005

It was shit!

In a mirror darkly was the only thing I enjoyed.

Terra prime was average.

"These are the voyages" is shit!

The hole TNG holodeck thing ruined the episode ,B&B made the thing for themselves the reason the show failed its because it was to centerd around more entertaining themselves then the audience.

Angel finale, As unhappy as I was with that I came to respect it, The episode itself waisnt the problem its just the sudden abrupt end of the Angel series just at the last momment. But unlike B&B Joss whedon respects his fans and his show ,He could have had buffy on to turn it into another buffy episode ,Instead he said no Angel has moved beyond being just a extension of another show its own distinct novel needs to end on its own two feet without pandering to anything else , The Finale saluted the Angel characters and not a guest character.

Neither B&B well ever admit that they fucked up the 3 to the very least 2 seasons, Instead they take it on the fans who are critical saying "dont like it dont watch it" well thats what happend folks.

The first thing you do to fix a error is to first admit one was made.

Instead Branon brings up this football thing , Well his analogy doesnt work even a NFL football player today will review his moves on the feild that was video taped same way they review the opposing team after a game to point out his errors and take note not to repeat.Good old common sense says to learn and not repeat errors not to deny it or make excusses.

The last episode tossed the stars of enterprise to the side, In favor of guest characters from another show , The holodeck experience doesnt help either the fact they can pause rewind leap ahead in the episode without your aproval,Trip dies for no reason again!

The wraith of Khan spocks death which still is one of the best dramatic momments of trek ,I saw it and somtimes tear up even despite knowing he is coming back,What made that so heart griping the way they did it not just the fact spock died, If it was just spock goes down to egineering boom! It would probaily happen so fast you dont even realized what happend and reduce drama and impact and meaning,Which is why data's death blowed it was not properly done , Nobody on the ship seemed to care and with B4 you could tell it was just a worthless plot device with a fail safe.

In spocks death you saw him burning up in that chambre trying to save the ship and then speaking with Kirk trying to touch him before he finally fell over and died.

These are the voyages has the rescue Shran daughter story, Which makes it just a regular episode stapled on to a finale ,Its not how I expected or wanted to Enterprise go out.

Tuckers death was added just to add drama to a farely stale story , I would have prefferd they kill the hole crew have them all die together would have been a fitting end. Personally I dont see how the TNG episode "Pegasus" in anyway related to what we saw on the enterprise finale.

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - OB1 - 15th May 2005

ABF missed the entire season, so his opinion is worthless. There were some really terrific episodes this season, and last.

Andromeda, btw, is complete and utter shite.

Quote:ABF missed the entire season, so his opinion is worthless. There were some really terrific episodes this season, and last.

I saw part 1 of 'In a Mirror, Darkly' and part 1 of 'Terra Prime', actually. That's not missing all of them. As for last season, was that the Xindi season? I saw at least half of those. Probably more than that.

As for Andromeda, I don't understand why a lot of people dislike it... it's a great show. Very well done sci-fi, interesting universe and characters, well made... where is the problem? I don't think there ever has been one. The fact that it's lasted five seasons says that there is at least some amount of a fanbase...

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - alien space marine - 15th May 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:I saw part 1 of 'In a Mirror, Darkly' and part 1 of 'Terra Prime', actually. That's not missing all of them. As for last season, was that the Xindi season? I saw at least half of those. Probably more than that.

As for Andromeda, I don't understand why a lot of people dislike it... it's a great show. Very well done sci-fi, interesting universe and characters, well made... where is the problem? I don't think there ever has been one. The fact that it's lasted five seasons says that there is at least some amount of a fanbase...

Andromeda was good and solid the first 2 seasons , Season 3 it started to get shaky but had enough good episodes to make up for it.What happend was that the TPTB decided to change the writers half which waisnt necesarry alot of the casual sci oriented fans fled from it none of the action adventure folks came in to replace them, Andromeda turned from a 3d Gene Roddenberry quality show with alot of depth and diversity to a 2d beat and shootem up show.

The thing that burns me on Andromeda now , Is how Dylan Hunt was made into captain kirk , Dylan Hunt was unique from the begining as a relic fossil character who was a philosopher almost trying to change the times, Now he has been down graded to a dude who beats up the bad guys and always gets the ladies, In the 60's that was cool but now its just damn cheesy!

The loss of Tyr hurt it for me , It could have been a huge plot twice or whatever that Tyr goes bad and betrays them , But they totally botched it and toss away alot potential story for next season, His 2 epsiode arc in season 4 ended abysmally, Tyr who was established prior as a rather cunning and witty individual always second guessing and a step ahead of everything a true survivalist, But he dies off and goes out like he was moron who may as well toss himself off a bridge. Tyr could have been a hole season long Arc villain, Given the show a new plot direction. Now it has zero!

Andromeda is too predictable now you pretty well can tell the outcome of a episode from the begining low and behold its as you suspected , The episodes are so bland and stale especially this last 5th season I stoped watching as did a hell alot of long time fans.

Andromea is reverse of enterprise started off great and then slowly degenerated.

Quote:Andromeda was good and solid the first 2 seasons , Season 3 it started to get shaky but had enough good episodes to make up for it.What happend was that the TPTB decided to change the writers half which waisnt necesarry alot of the casual sci oriented fans fled from it none of the action adventure folks came in to replace them, Andromeda turned from a 3d Gene Roddenberry quality show with alot of depth and diversity to a 2d beat and shootem up show.

Actually it was after season 1 that they changed writers (Robert Hewitt Wolfe (sp?) out, Engels in)... did it get worse? Maybe slightly, at times, but the good points were just as good as the first season, I think. The constantly changing cast was too bad, and I definitely was dissapointed with how they ended Tyr's story -- it seems like he's making so much progress, and then his ending is "but he went back to the way he was and all the change was actually fake"??? So dissapointing, after three years... oh well. At least the other character who left (Rev Bem, after season 1, because of allergies with the mask or something) didn't get killed off.

Anyway... yes, Andromeda does have a lot of action, but it's scifi action, and it's got more than enough drama and storyline (and a true threat to the universe that sometiems seems to go away, but keeps coming back from the beginning of the show to the end...) to make it indesputably scifi (and not just action) in most any respect.

That is, while the show did change after Engels took over, and it was down a bit in quality for a while in season 2, I think it picked up again and never was really much worse. And in tone, I don't think it changed much at all... oh, it was a bit happier in the later seasons (the darkness of season 1 is one reason why I think Wolfe left...), but there was always that threat out there, and it periodically returned, keeping the show overall from ever really becoming happy for long... which is as that show should be, given the condition of the universe.

Quote:The loss of Tyr hurt it for me , It could have been a huge plot twice or whatever that Tyr goes bad and betrays them , But they totally botched it and toss away alot potential story for next season, His 2 epsiode arc in season 4 ended abysmally, Tyr who was established prior as a rather cunning and witty individual always second guessing and a step ahead of everything a true survivalist, But he dies off and goes out like he was moron who may as well toss himself off a bridge. Tyr could have been a hole season long Arc villain, Given the show a new plot direction. Now it has zero!

The actor wanted to leave the show. That's why I think he was given such an unsatisfactory ending... they weren't expecting to remove him, but he wanted to leave. But still, I think they could have come up with something better than they did. Oh well... it made sense, in a sad sort of way, that he really would reaffirm his Niechean (sp) beliefs... but he'd seemed to make progress. Oh well.

Quote:The thing that burns me on Andromeda now , Is how Dylan Hunt was made into captain kirk , Dylan Hunt was unique from the begining as a relic fossil character who was a philosopher almost trying to change the times, Now he has been down graded to a dude who beats up the bad guys and always gets the ladies, In the 60's that was cool but now its just damn cheesy!

I'd say Dylan was always like that. It did get a bit more overt at times from season 2 on, but it was there is season 1 too, and really, I don't think it's a bad character, or that he changed THAT much after season 1.

Quote:Andromeda is too predictable now you pretty well can tell the outcome of a episode from the begining low and behold its as you suspected , The episodes are so bland and stale especially this last 5th season I stoped watching as did a hell alot of long time fans.

Andromea is reverse of enterprise started off great and then slowly degenerated.

I'd say it started off great, had ups and downs, and ended just as good as it started (with the last two episodes at least... Season 5 was fine, but 20 episodes of Seefra did get old.)

Enterprise did some really cool things (especially this season with all of the ties to the original series), and a lot of bad things. Probably more bad than good. But it did try, unlike something like Voyager which just sucked from unambition.

I just watched the finale, and while it was flawed, it was still quite good and I'd say a fitting ending to Star Trek. Not just Enterprise, but Star Trek as a whole. This episode was supposed to be the farewell to the past 18 years of Trek television and film, and if nothing else the last bit of the episode did a great job of that. I think they handled it as well as they could have, all things considered.

*sigh* It's so sad to see Trek gone, with nothing being planned for the future. I know it will return, someday, but as long as I've lived Trek has always been around.

I suppose it's fitting then that I've decided to watch all of TNG starting from episode one right now, and eventually work my way through DS9. So there's still plenty of Trek left. :)

I did like Nemesis... I think it was unfairly criticized but is actually a good movie. Really, I liked all the Trek stuff (other than those occasional bad episodes of course) until Enterprise... but Enterprise just doesn't hold up. It's not as good as any of the other Trek shows or some of the top other genre shows either... not a bad show overall, but definitely not a good one, and plagued by bad casting, bad writing, bad acting, lame concepts... seriously, I know Trek wants sexyness, but Enterprise went too far, even for Trek... and the lameness of so many episodes sure didn't help any.

The one common complaint I won't echo is the intro... after a while I stopped minding that song, actually. :)

Your judgement is poor!

Great rebuttal there. :)

Well we've had this debate like ten billion times already. It's like Kirk trying to reason with the Klingons about the same crap over and over again.

... I've been watching too much Trek lately.

... so when do we reach Star Trek VI?

Now that will be the undiscovered country indeed. The final frontier. Where no man has gone before.

Hmm... have enough Star Trek-isms there?

I believe so.

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - UltraMarioMan - 17th May 2005

I haven't watched Star Trek since DS9! When does the new Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, and Battle Star Galactica start. Now theres some good Sci-Fi.

Eh, Enterprise is over... *shrugs* - Darunia - 18th May 2005

-Enterprise never attracted me
-Neither Stargate show does anything at all for me.
-The new Galactica is geared to horny teenagers and a new wave of sci-fans who wish to blend the genre inexchangeably with action.

Still, I hate to see the cessation of new Trek for practically the first time since the 80's... I hope that they'll make a new show, only this time they'll make it good. They should tailor to the pre-existing fanbase more... I know that they tried to do this with Enterprise, but horrible story writing and the one-two loser knockout punch of Berman and... that other guy... well it speaks for itself.