Tendo City
Announcement: mIRC - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Announcement: mIRC (/showthread.php?tid=2833)

Pages: 1 2

Announcement: mIRC - lazyfatbum - 7th May 2005

Just a reminder, we're getting ready for the pre-e3 conference on the 17th and we'll have our usual IRC chatathon for the duration of the week long event.

So May 17th lets all get together. Make sure you have mIRC and we'll probably in #tendocity or something similar

INVITE AS MANY WOMEN AS POSSIBLE!

Okay ladies

Server: IRCnet

Room: #tendocity

Ba ba oom a moow moow, ba ba ooma ma moow
<table class="tborder" id="post85199" valign="top" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" height="139" width="505"> <tbody><tr><td class="alt1" style="padding: 0px;" valign="top" width="20%">
</td><td class="alt2" width="80%">
<hr color="#000000" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> http://www.mirc.com/get.html

For those of you who want the good old IRC and not this new mozilla integration horse hockey.
</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Announcement: mIRC - Dark Jaguar - 7th May 2005

What server are we using? Studio64? Is that still around?

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 7th May 2005

I'll be there!

Maybe.

Announcement: mIRC - Smoke - 8th May 2005

I can't remember, does somebody have the server address?

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2005

Why don't we just use MSN?

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2005

That would be too easy!

True, true...

Announcement: mIRC - Smoke - 8th May 2005

Well if you've got Firefox just get the Chatzilla extension. IRC intergrated into your browser. To link a chat room all you have to do is type "irc: url in the url bar."

Okay, I downloaded that.

Mozilla >>> Firefox.

Mozilla Firefox >>> Mozilla or Firefox

You know what I mean. :)

Normal Mozilla is better than Mozilla Firefox, I definitely believe. It's more like Netscape, while Firefox is more like IE... and I prefer Netscape.

Mozilla Firefox has a lot of cool plugins though.

Announcement: mIRC - Sacred Jellybean - 8th May 2005

I will so fucking be there, faggots.

But Mozilla has more options and more features that I use... and it looks better, too.

Announcement: mIRC - Dark Jaguar - 8th May 2005

...so... What server?

The server has not been decided yet. We shall see what's available when the time comes.

This thread has been graced by the Golden Ass of Power 05 - 09 - 05

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 9th May 2005

Quote:But Mozilla has more options and more features that I use... and it looks better, too.

I think we all know the real reason you use Mozilla, ABF, and deep down, I think you do as well.

Announcement: mIRC - Smoke - 9th May 2005

You do realize you can change the look of Firefox. That kind of negates the "it looks better".

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 9th May 2005

To make it look like Mozilla/Netscape 7?

Announcement: mIRC - Smoke - 10th May 2005

They have some Mozilla themes. I'm not sure what version. But they've got even better themes. One makes it look like Safari on Mac.

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 10th May 2005

Because the default Firefox theme is very bland, just like IE...

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 10th May 2005

I like the look of Mozilla-Firefox, small and minimalist.

Bland...

Toolbar's too large and intrusive, plus your resolution is major suckage. Also, Mozilla-Firefox has the cool mini-searchbox for searching various website easily.

Quote:Toolbar's too large and intrusive, plus your resolution is major suckage. Also, Mozilla-Firefox has the cool mini-searchbox for searching various website easily.

I got rid of the search button, didn't use it. Replaced it with the much more useful 'Go' button.

As for the toolbar, it's the best feature of Mozilla and Firefox. Mozilla/Firefox without tabbed browsing is not much better than IE, so what would be the point? Especially when tabs are so useful... as for the physical size of the interface (the top two rows), the difference is small. Quarter of an inch at 800x600. The main difference you see is my resolution... here's a shot of Firefox to see what I mean. Compare the two interfaces... Mozilla's is bigger, but by a small amount. And it more than makes up for it by actually looking good.

Announcement: mIRC - Sacred Jellybean - 10th May 2005

Quote:I got rid of the search button, didn't use it. Replaced it with the much more useful 'Go' button.

Erm You mean, so you can click a button instead of simply pressing Enter? (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not)

Quote:You mean, so you can click a button instead of simply pressing Enter? (I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not)

Yeah, I don't use Go much easier, but any use is better than none, and I have no use for Search as a toolbar button.

... anyway, it doesn't support Yahoo... just Google, Ask Jeeves, and dmoz.org (whatver that is).

Quote:Replaced it with the much more useful 'Go' button.

Uh, I have a 'Go' button too. What I'm talking about is a second, smaller searchbox from which I can select from a number of different websites that I want to do a search on. For example: I click the logo on the left of the small searchbar and select "IMDB" and then type in the name of whatever movie or series I want to search for at IMDB, instead of actually going to the site and THEN using their search engine. It's like magic.

Quote:Mozilla/Firefox without tabbed browsing is not much better than IE, so what would be the point?

I have tabbed browing too, but it only intrudes on valualbe screen space when I want it too.

Quote:And it more than makes up for it by actually looking good.

Ah, Windows 98/2000. Of course.

Quote:Uh, I have a 'Go' button too. What I'm talking about is a second, smaller searchbox from which I can select from a number of different websites that I want to do a search on. For example: I click the logo on the left of the small searchbar and select "IMDB" and then type in the name of whatever movie or series I want to search for at IMDB, instead of actually going to the site and THEN using their search engine. It's like magic.

Not something I'd use. As I said, Mozilla has a Search button, to search google or those other sites if you type something in the address bar and then click search. I got rid of the button because I don't use it. The same would happen for that thing in Firefox.

Quote:I have tabbed browing too, but it only intrudes on valualbe screen space when I want it too.

I have it always on because I like having access to the 'open new tab' button, whether I have one tab open or several.

... and anyway, I virtually never have only one tab open. :)

Quote:Ah, Windows 98/2000. Of course.

What do you mean?

Quote:I have it always on because I like having access to the 'open new tab' button, whether I have one tab open or several.

... and anyway, I virtually never have only one tab open

I rarely ever use tabbed browsing. Sometimes I do when I want to open another browser while staying in the same window. It's not really THAT great though.

Quote:Not something I'd use. As I said, Mozilla has a Search button, to search google or those other sites if you type something in the address bar and then click search. I got rid of the button because I don't use it. The same would happen for that thing in Firefox.

You're weird. Having two input bars, one for inputting a url and another for search varoius websites like IMDB, Google, Dictionary.com or eBay, is cool. Plus it saves time not having to load up that website everytime I want to find something there.

Quote:What do you mean?

Programs on Windows 98/2000 inherently look worse than they would on XP.

Going by that screenshot, Firefox doesn't look much better in XP.

I have seven tabs open in that screenshot. Pretty typical, probably... multiple windows is awful. Slower to switch, slowe to open, wastes system resources, messier, harder to deal with... tabbed browsing was a fantastic idea. It's always better when you can open multiple windows within one application instead of having to open many copies of it...

Announcement: mIRC - OB1 - 10th May 2005

I kind of ruined firefox for me, so now I have to use mozilla. It's just fine. I don't like the "slick" look that ABF uses.

Announcement: mIRC - OB1 - 10th May 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:Going by that screenshot, Firefox doesn't look much better in XP.

I have seven tabs open in that screenshot. Pretty typical, probably... multiple windows is awful. Slower to switch, slowe to open, wastes system resources, messier, harder to deal with... tabbed browsing was a fantastic idea. It's always better when you can open multiple windows within one application instead of having to open many copies of it...

Tabs are too slow. With multiple windows, switching is super fast if you use alt+tab.

Quote:I kind of ruined firefox for me, so now I have to use mozilla. It's just fine. I don't like the "slick" look that ABF uses.

The Netscape 4 skin is classic, but just as dull as the IE and Firefox ones... I did think this skin was odd the first time I saw it (in Netscape 6, then 7, then Mozilla), but once I got used to it... well, now I prefer it to the others, definitely. :)

Quote:Tabs are too slow. With multiple windows, switching is super fast if you use alt+tab.

I don't use many keyboard hotkeys... once in a while I use one, but infrequently. I'd rather just use the mouse. And tabs are a lot quicker to switch between than stuff on the bottom bar, especially when that bar is on autohide (and I ALWAYS have it on autohide... I think it looks stupid displayed on the screen all the time.)

... that TC skin (that you two are using) is one of the less intresting ones too, IMO... :)

Announcement: mIRC - Dark Jaguar - 10th May 2005

Oh, a note. I was using "Avant Browser" for a while, but it was pretty glitchy. Basically as soon as I got SP2 (with the pop-up blocker, the main reason I got AB) I just ditched the thing. The only other thing it even had as a feature was the whole tabbed browsing thing. Used it for a while, and yeah, I suppose it has it's uses, but in the end I still prefer alt-tab. With practice, keyboard shortcuts become second nature, and it's just much faster. The only real advantage I ever got from it was being able to see exactly which tabs I already had open. Well, I could just make my Windows Task Bar not collapse, then I'd have that too. Well, it takes up screen space that way, but wait, so does that bar. MDI just doesn't really seem all that useful to me when net surfing... All in all, since the net is designed first and foremost with the most widely used browser in mind, well, I guess that's what I'll be using. As of yet I have not had a single page not display correctly. Another key thing is I never install plugins unless I know exactly what I'm getting into. Quicktime is ENOUGH, and even then every single time I view a quicktime file I have to go into the registry and delete the entry that makes some sort of "quicklaunch buddy" app start when my computer start... Ugh...

Announcement: mIRC - Sacred Jellybean - 10th May 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:Yeah, I don't use Go much easier, but any use is better than none, and I have no use for Search as a toolbar button.

... anyway, it doesn't support Yahoo... just Google, Ask Jeeves, and dmoz.org (whatver that is).

Ahh, okay. Gotcha.

Announcement: mIRC - Dark Jaguar - 10th May 2005

I get much better results using Google search myself.

Announcement: mIRC - lazyfatbum - 11th May 2005

God I love Tendo City

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2005

Quote:Going by that screenshot, Firefox doesn't look much better in XP.

You're kidding me right?

Btw, I'm using a different skin for Mozilla-Firefox now.

Announcement: mIRC - OB1 - 11th May 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:The Netscape 4 skin is classic, but just as dull as the IE and Firefox ones... I did think this skin was odd the first time I saw it (in Netscape 6, then 7, then Mozilla), but once I got used to it... well, now I prefer it to the others, definitely. :)

I don't use many keyboard hotkeys... once in a while I use one, but infrequently. I'd rather just use the mouse. And tabs are a lot quicker to switch between than stuff on the bottom bar, especially when that bar is on autohide (and I ALWAYS have it on autohide... I think it looks stupid displayed on the screen all the time.)

... that TC skin (that you two are using) is one of the less intresting ones too, IMO... :)

Hotkeys are like ten times faster than lame-o tabs.

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2005

Quote:You're kidding me right?

Btw, I'm using a different skin for Mozilla-Firefox now.

Um, just look at the screenshot you posted and the one I posted of Firefox. Other than shading of the topbar, they're pretty much identical.

Oh, and that skin looks a bit nicer...

Quote:I get much better results using Google search myself.

Once in a while if I'm not finding anything I'll use Google, but Yahoo's generally fine. And I like the site and its look better...

Quote:Hotkeys are like ten times faster than lame-o tabs.

Hotkeys are annoying, though... I prefer to use them as little as possible. That's one reason I disliked Homeworld (a 3d space RTS), no buttons for most of the functions...

Announcement: mIRC - OB1 - 11th May 2005

Quote:Hotkeys are annoying, though... I prefer to use them as little as possible.

That's because you are teh dumb.

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2005

Quote:Other than shading of the topbar, they're pretty much identical.

Erm

Announcement: mIRC - lazyfatbum - 16th May 2005

Okay ladies

Server: IRCnet

Room: #tendocity

Ba ba oom a moow moow, ba ba ooma ma moow

Announcement: mIRC - lazyfatbum - 16th May 2005

http://www.mirc.com/get.html

For those of you who want the good old IRC and not this new mozilla integration horse hockey.

Announcement: mIRC - Great Rumbler - 16th May 2005

Downloading now!

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 16th May 2005

Should we use that or the dorksnet server? Might be easier to use that one... studio64.yi.org address (port 6667).

It won't let me connect to IRCnet...

Announcement: mIRC - A Black Falcon - 16th May 2005

You're in now, though, so it did. :)

Yes, it did.