Tendo City
Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith (/showthread.php?tid=2806)

Pages: 1 2 3

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - OB1 - 27th April 2005

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2005

*doesn't read most of the spoiler boxes* ... I don't want to completely spoil the movie, that's no fun...

Quote:- At flick's end, Threepio and Artoo are given to Captain Antilles (with the caveat that the Protocol's memory be wiped).

Does this mean Artoo remembers everything? :)

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2005

q3;4htyq4;het;qiorh4tqoritq';rtjgq;/rtgq;rwhtg;qowireht;q/WRETG!!!!!

Yeah, it's gonna be that awesome!

A Black Falcon Wrote:*doesn't read most of the spoiler boxes* ... I don't want to completely spoil the movie, that's no fun...

Does this mean Artoo remembers everything? :)

Yup! Makes perfect sense, don't it?

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - The Former DMiller - 27th April 2005

I'm not touching the spoiler boxes, but even so I am really getting psyched for this movie. I wish I could see it right now!

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Weltall - 27th April 2005

I couldn't help myself, I grabbed the book and read the ending.

Just keep in mind that Kevin Smith, the awesome guy that he is, also loved the last two movies. He even loved the romance bits and dialogue in Episode II. Kevin Smith, the master of dialogue. That's because he "got it", understood why the dialogue and acting was that way (and no, the reason was not "because Lucas is teh shitte writor!111").

So keep that in mind. ;) Chances are, if you hated the last two movies you'll probably just like this new one.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Weltall - 27th April 2005

Why was the writing and acting like that? I can't really see any reason other than to display processed campiness, and I hate when directors do that, unless it's to be funny.

Anyway, this one is shaping up to perhaps make up for the last two afterbirths. I didn't read that much, but I hope to God they finally explain Palpatine's motives. If they don't this time, they never will, and I'll never stop complaining about it.

Quote:Yup! Makes perfect sense, don't it?

Hmm... but why would he keep it secret, then? Why not tell... especially later, if he's carrying secrets that people really want to know...

Quote:Anyway, this one is shaping up to perhaps make up for the last two afterbirths. I didn't read that much, but I hope to God they finally explain Palpatine's motives. If they don't this time, they never will, and I'll never stop complaining about it.

We've talked about this before, multiple times... they already have.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - The Former DMiller - 27th April 2005

Ryan Wrote:Why was the writing and acting like that? I can't really see any reason other than to display processed campiness, and I hate when directors do that, unless it's to be funny.

I'd like to know that too. It was one of my major complaints about the 2nd movie. I could have ended up liking Episode II if it weren't for the agonizing love scenes. I understand that they had to fall in love, but it could have been made more bearable.

And I know Kevin Smith is a Star Wars geek so I'm taking his review with a handful of salt, but it still isn't quelling my excitement about this next movie.

Quote:Why was the writing and acting like that? I can't really see any reason other than to display processed campiness, and I hate when directors do that, unless it's to be funny.

The writing and acting was done that very particular way because that's how Lucas envisioned the series to be like. It's a mixture of the styles of Flash Gordon, Bogart, and even Shakespeare. Everybody wants realistic dialogue, even in unrealistic settings. Current audiences have no taste or familiarity with the kind of dramatic romanticism found in moves from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. It's a very particular style that does not conform to modern tastes, and I have immense respect for Lucas because of that.

Quote:Anyway, this one is shaping up to perhaps make up for the last two afterbirths. I didn't read that much, but I hope to God they finally explain Palpatine's motives. If they don't this time, they never will, and I'll never stop complaining about it.

His motives and character will be fully explained, but no, you will not find out that he was molested as a child and is trying to escape from his lifelong torment by oppressing those whom he considers to be responsible for his innocence being taken away from him at such a young age.

I take it that that's the only thing that will be satisfactory to you, judging by past comments. Lol You don't want realistic bad guys, you want unrealistic movie bad guys will tormented pasts!

The Emperor steals the movie.

Quote:Hmm... but why would he keep it secret, then? Why not tell... especially later, if he's carrying secrets that people really want to know...

He was always on a mission, remember? He always knew things that others didn't, and divulging secrets would have helped nobody.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2005

As a person who has read both Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet, I can tell you that almost none of it is "natural", not in the slightest. It's uses a lot of words sometimes to convey something "simple".

Not that I'm suggesting that Lucas is as good a writer as Shakespeare. :) Just that the Shakespearian style is one of many old-fashioned styles that inspires Star Wars' style.

Quote:He was always on a mission, remember? He always knew things that others didn't, and divulging secrets would have helped nobody.

Telling Luke who his mother was, years later, when Luke was grown up, would have hurt nobody.

What could he have said? He's a simple droid!

He communicated with Luke in the X-Wing, he can do it...

No I realize that, but he's a simple droid, and it would make no sense for him to go "So uh, Luke... your mom was a babe! Should have seen her back in the day! Woo-wee!".

Artoo stays quiet and lets his actions do the talking most of the time, while Threepio goes on and on like mad. That's why he needed the memory wipe. :D

I'm more talking about the books, where in some of them 'who was our mother' is a thing Luke is searching for... if Artoo knew stuff, he should have talked.

Well those are the books, and as you know they are not canon.

There's also a matter of them being written long before Episode III was even a finished screenplay. Lol

The books are canon unless specifically contradicted, and then I'd say that only those details are wrong, not those whole books.

I know, they couldn't answer the question back when they were writing those books... my point is, now that we DO know the answer, there should be a book where Luke learns who his mother was. And I'd like an explanation, if Artoo knew all along. :)

The books are not canon! Only the movies are.

OB1 Wrote:The writing and acting was done that very particular way because that's how Lucas envisioned the series to be like. It's a mixture of the styles of Flash Gordon, Bogart, and even Shakespeare. Everybody wants realistic dialogue, even in unrealistic settings. Current audiences have no taste or familiarity with the kind of dramatic romanticism found in moves from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. It's a very particular style that does not conform to modern tastes, and I have immense respect for Lucas because of that.

Okay, that explains where the dialogue came from, but I just don't think it fits Star Wars. I love classic films like Casablanca, but using the same type of dialogue for Star Wars just didn't work. Compare the dialogue between Anakin and Amidala to the dialogue between Han and Leia from the original trilogy. It was more interesting listening to Han and Leia because it added to the fun of the films instead of taking itself too seriously. It could even make light of serious situations such as Han's response of "I know" to Leia's "I love you" in Empire. I respect Lucas trying something different, but I just don't think it was the right choice.

Everyone thinks they're a better cook than the chef. ;)

The story of Anakin and Padme is vastly different than Han and Leia, and the latter is inherently more fun to watch than the former. Anakin and Padme are Bogart and Bergman (albeit younger and more naive); Han and Leia are Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. Han and Leia's relationship is short and playful, not very pivotal to the story of the OT movies. Anakin and Padme's relationship is naive, brash, serious, and ultimately very tragic, and very important for the story of the entire saga. You cannot use the Han and Leia dynamic with Anakin and Padme.

Quote:The books are not canon! Only the movies are.

It's the EU. You can't pretend that it doesn't exist. Sure, the facts in the movies come first, but the EU is quite valid as well.

It exists, but it's not canon...

OB1 Wrote:Everyone thinks they're a better cook than the chef. ;)

The story of Anakin and Padme is vastly different than Han and Leia, and the latter is inherently more fun to watch than the former. Anakin and Padme are Bogart and Bergman (albeit younger and more naive); Han and Leia are Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. Han and Leia's relationship is short and playful, not very pivotal to the story of the OT movies. Anakin and Padme's relationship is naive, brash, serious, and ultimately very tragic, and very important for the story of the entire saga. You cannot use the Han and Leia dynamic with Anakin and Padme.

I see what you're saying, but I just think that the series is taking itself too seriously. I understand the difference between the Anakin/Amidala and Han/Leia relationships, but Star Wars is inherently much different than Casablanca. I realize Lucas is just itching to do some different things, but if he went through all the trouble to make the three new movies I wish he would have just kept them somewhat consistent with the original trilogy. If he wanted to make the A/A relationship in the style of Bogie and Bergman that's fine, but did it really have to take up 3/4ths of the movie? The relationship intrigued me at first in Clones, but then it just kept going...and going...and going. I just thought it was too drawn out for the type of movie Star Wars is. It also goes back to the fact that the characters aren't really that personable, which might have something to do with the dialogue. In Casablance you had hard-set feelings for Rick and Ilsa so the love story was more intriguing. Even though it can be argued that there is more at stake in regards to Anakin and Amidala, it just doesn't have the same hook, in my opinion, because the characters have fairly bland personalities.

There's nothing inconsistent about any of the prequels. That's what everyone was expecting, a repeat of the original trilogy. But that's not possible. The prequels are about how the world of the OT came to be, what circumstances led up to it and why the characters turned out the way they did. Doing a prequel trilogy in the same tone as the OT would do a disservice to the OT and would actually cheapen that trilogy. I never had a problem with that, because I get used to change very quickly. I get a very different feeling from the prequels than the OT, and I am very glad about that. I can't get that OT feeling from the prequels and I can't get that prequels feeling from the OT. Yet it all fits together so perfectly, and both trilogies complement each other perfectly. Yin and Yang, and all that jazz. There's a reason why Lucas started off the movies with the second half of the story, and that's because it was the more adventerous half, the more easy-to-understand half. The prequels are wrapped up in politics and seriousness (for the most part), and this trilogy ends on a very dark and depressing note. The OT is the complete opposite.

The style of dialogue is absolutely consistent with the OT. It's just that you see more of one side than the other in the prequels. But it's all completely consistent. And 3/4s? Come on, don't exaggerate. The romance stuff in Episode II is very short, not even a quarter of the film. Lucas described the love story of Episode II as a "love haiku", and he did exactly that. Of course it's not as involving as Casablanca's love story, that entire movie was about the love story (not to mention that Casablanca is one of the finest films ever created and very few movies--none of which were made in the past three decades--can compare to it), but it's still far, far better than most people give it credit for. And I love that style of dialogue, so I love the characters of the prequels (save Jar-Jar, though I understand his reason for being there). They certainly don't lack depth compared to the OT characters, even if Han is my favorite character of the saga. The characters are archetypes, and they have to be. The most complex character of Star Wars is definitely Anakin, which you will be able to appreciate more with Episode III. I suppose it all comes down to whether or not you can accept the style of dialogue of the movies. It's unfortunate if you can't, but that's alright.

But man, if only you guys could appreciate Star Wars like I do. It's pretty damn great. :D

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - A Black Falcon - 28th April 2005

Quote:It exists, but it's not canon...

It's canon enough.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - OB1 - 28th April 2005

Whatevah!

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Weltall - 28th April 2005

OB1 Wrote:The writing and acting was done that very particular way because that's how Lucas envisioned the series to be like. It's a mixture of the styles of Flash Gordon, Bogart, and even Shakespeare. Everybody wants realistic dialogue, even in unrealistic settings. Current audiences have no taste or familiarity with the kind of dramatic romanticism found in moves from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. It's a very particular style that does not conform to modern tastes, and I have immense respect for Lucas because of that.

Yes we do, but there is a time and place for that, and when it suddenly appears in a movie series after not being there for four entire movies, it goes without saying that some are going to question the logic for it being there at all. Star Wars had already went through one major love match (Han and Leia), and that felt much more natural.

Besides, the Anakin/Padme love fest smelled much more like A Walk To Remember than Casablanca to me. Humphrey Bogart was never a whiny little prick.

Quote:His motives and character will be fully explained, but no, you will not find out that he was molested as a child and is trying to escape from his lifelong torment by oppressing those whom he considers to be responsible for his innocence being taken away from him at such a young age.

I take it that that's the only thing that will be satisfactory to you, judging by past comments. Lol You don't want realistic bad guys, you want unrealistic movie bad guys will tormented pasts!

The Emperor steals the movie.

I don't need to know that some past event made him the way he was (although that's EXACTLY what the first three movies are about, the events than turn Anakin into Vader), but I do want motives and reasons. Realistic bad guys don't wake up one morning and decide to take over the universe for no reason. How you could praise Lucas for drawing upon the works of Shakespeare and in the next sentence claim that Palpatine is a 'realistic bad guy' is amazing, when I've seen saturday morning cartoon villains with more comprehensive backgrounds than Palps.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - OB1 - 28th April 2005

Quote:Yes we do, but there is a time and place for that, and when it suddenly appears in a movie series after not being there for four entire movies, it goes without saying that some are going to question the logic for it being there at all. Star Wars had already went through one major love match (Han and Leia), and that felt much more natural.

It did feel more natural, but that's because of its light-heartedness and the fact that Han and Leia weren't two little kids. Were you ever in love at that age, or seen a couple in love at that age? It's very awkward. And it wasn't as big a part of the story as the Anakin/Padme relationship.

Quote:Besides, the Anakin/Padme love fest smelled much more like A Walk To Remember than Casablanca to me. Humphrey Bogart was never a whiny little prick.

You've obviously never seen The African Queen.

But I said that Anakin and Padme were reminiscent of a younger Bogart and Bergman. I could be more accurate with my comparison but I needed something that everyone (hopefully) would get.

Quote:I don't need to know that some past event made him the way he was (although that's EXACTLY what the first three movies are about, the events than turn Anakin into Vader),

Yes, Anakin into Vader.

Quote:but I do want motives and reasons. Realistic bad guys don't wake up one morning and decide to take over the universe for no reason. How you could praise Lucas for drawing upon the works of Shakespeare and in the next sentence claim that Palpatine is a 'realistic bad guy' is amazing, when I've seen saturday morning cartoon villains with more comprehensive backgrounds than Palps.

Realistic bad guys aren't always tormented by horrible pasts and become tragic figures. That's Anakin. Palpatine is the devil, basically. But you will find out how he came to be, and why he does what he does. Though I suspect that nothing short of a Lifetime tv-movie moment will be enough for you.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Weltall - 29th April 2005

OB1 Wrote:It did feel more natural, but that's because of its light-heartedness and the fact that Han and Leia weren't two little kids. Were you ever in love at that age, or seen a couple in love at that age? It's very awkward. And it wasn't as big a part of the story as the Anakin/Padme relationship.

Of course I have, and of course I do. Most people are just a little smoother than that. Though, it was really Anakin who made it crappy.

Quote: You've obviously never seen The African Queen.

But I said that Anakin and Padme were reminiscent of a younger Bogart and Bergman. I could be more accurate with my comparison but I needed something that everyone (hopefully) would get.

Perhaps so, but it definitely did seem like the Mandy Moore/Shane Whatever romance.
Quote: Realistic bad guys aren't always tormented by horrible pasts and become tragic figures. That's Anakin. Palpatine is the devil, basically. But you will find out how he came to be, and why he does what he does. Though I suspect that nothing short of a Lifetime tv-movie moment will be enough for you.

Yeah, you're totally not listening to me.

I don't care if Palpatine has a tragic past or not. Not every character has them. But most characters, good and bad, have motives. It'd be great to know why he's destroying the republic and replacing it with his Empire. It would also be nice to know what started him down this path. Or did he just wake up one morning and decide "Hey, I want to be an evil emperor!" Realistic bad guys aren't always tormented by horrible pasts and become tragic figures, but realistic bad guys ALWAYS have compelling motives. How did he become a Sith Lord? Was he born to it? Did he decide to do it? If so, why?

So no more comments about the tragic past crap, because you know that's not my angle and never was. I can't, for the life of me, why you seem to be happy Palpatine is one of the worst-conceived villains (in relation to both his importance to the story, and to the sheer amount of exposure he receives) in movie history.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - A Black Falcon - 29th April 2005

It's frusterating, Weltall, because we've explained it before but you seem to refuse to accept it as an explanation... Palpatine is a Sith.

Really, to any Star Wars fan who knew anything about the EU/backstory/etc, that should be more than enough. The Sith's mission is to destroy the Jedi. Palpatine has thousands of years of indoctrinated hatred in him... the Sith have been hiding for four thousand years and they finally get a chance to act. Really, he doesn't have super complex motives. He's a Sith. Okay, so we could learn why he became one... but I'd expect it to be something simple (and realistic!) like 'he wanted power'. And if there's one thing Sith know, it's power... so he becomes one, and then he learns their history and about their enemy the Jedi from their perspective, and he learns their long-term plans, and with his brilliant mind (he is very smart you know) starts setting up his plan for revenge on the Jedi. Simple.

Thousands of years of ingrained hatred isn't enough for you? Rolleyes

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - lazyfatbum - 29th April 2005

why do any of the horrible dictators do what they do? for POWAH *british accent*

It would be cool to find out if the Republic was once an empire and had a glory days scenario. Palps would want the republic to return to its former glory for all he wrong reasons. That would make him a mirror to Hitler. But ultimately Hitler too just wanted more power because his penis is small and he wanted to become a living God. Which is the most frightening reasoning you could ever drive as a motive. Think of Nero; just pure perversion.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - OB1 - 29th April 2005

Quote:Of course I have, and of course I do. Most people are just a little smoother than that. Though, it was really Anakin who made it crappy.

Keep in mind that their relationship was supposed to seem awkward and naive in that style of dialogue.

Quote:Perhaps so, but it definitely did seem like the Mandy Moore/Shane Whatever romance.

You crazy.

Quote:Yeah, you're totally not listening to me.

I don't care if Palpatine has a tragic past or not. Not every character has them. But most characters, good and bad, have motives. It'd be great to know why he's destroying the republic and replacing it with his Empire. It would also be nice to know what started him down this path. Or did he just wake up one morning and decide "Hey, I want to be an evil emperor!" Realistic bad guys aren't always tormented by horrible pasts and become tragic figures, but realistic bad guys ALWAYS have compelling motives. How did he become a Sith Lord? Was he born to it? Did he decide to do it? If so, why?

So no more comments about the tragic past crap, because you know that's not my angle and never was. I can't, for the life of me, why you seem to be happy Palpatine is one of the worst-conceived villains (in relation to both his importance to the story, and to the sheer amount of exposure he receives) in movie history.

You have stated in the past that real-world "villains" are not interesting unless you look at their tormented pasts or details from their childhoods, which is why I said that. But guess what? Milosevic and Hitler didn't have much deeper motives than Palpatine, and he's a fictional character! But I'll tell you what you will find out in Episode III, and will be able to gather from all of the movies put together:

-Who his master was

-How he came to power

-Why he wants to control the galaxy

-Why he is so damn evil

Quote:It would be cool to find out if the Republic was once an empire and had a glory days scenario. Palps would want the republic to return to its former glory for all he wrong reasons. That would make him a mirror to Hitler. But ultimately Hitler too just wanted more power because his penis is small and he wanted to become a living God. Which is the most frightening reasoning you could ever drive as a motive. Think of Nero; just pure perversion.

That's exactly right, actually, and some of those answers are in the first two prequels. Episode III will bring it all together.

Sharp thinking, lazy!

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - The Former DMiller - 29th April 2005

OB1 Wrote:You have stated in the past that real-world "villains" are not interesting unless you look at their tormented pasts or details from their childhoods, which is why I said that. But guess what? Milosevic and Hitler didn't have much deeper motives than Palpatine, and he's a fictional character!

I don't know about Milosevic, but Hitler had plenty of motives for what he did. I'll get back to you with details if you want, but I must be off to the cinema right now.

DMiller Wrote:I don't know about Milosevic, but Hitler had plenty of motives for what he did. I'll get back to you with details if you want, but I must be off to the cinema right now.

I said "[not] much deeper motives than Palpatine", which is true.

Palpatine:
"I want to rule the galaxy because I'm evil since the day I was born. I'm evil and I want power. I don't want this power for any particular reason, mind you, but I think about it and it's like "why NOT rule the galaxy"? So I do. Plus, I'm a Sith lord. Sith Lords don't do anything except try to conquer and rule other people. I mean, have you ever seen a Sith lord do anything nice before? It's just not us. Because I'm Sith, I'm a bad man who steals candy from babies and cheats on my income tax, and kills a lot of people indiscriminately. I only do this because the script calls for an evil villain, and because killing a lot of people makes me badass and a marketable commodity to sell in the form of video games and action figures, but honestly, isn't that reason enough? Who needs a reason to be bad? After all, there are lots of evil characters in stories with absolutely no motives whatsoever. I'm sure I even saw one in Shakespeare once, so THERE."

Hitler: "I want to rule the world because I feel that while my race is inherently superior to all others, both mentally and physically, we have allowed ourselves to be dominated by inferiors because we show them mercy. Once, Germany was very strong. Our neighbors admired our administrative structure and lived in mortal fear of our military might. Our ancestors destroyed the mighty Roman Empire and changed the world forever. Now, we lay prostrate at the feet of our enemies, helpless and simpering like the cowards we once slaughtered with abandon. I want to eliminate those who I percieve to dominate and persecute the Aryan race, and return Germany to it's position as the pre-eminent power of the world, and I don't care who I have to kill and what I have to destroy to achieve this goal."

The Big Bad Wolf: "I don't kill for the sake of killing. I am a wolf, and by definition, a carnivore. I want to kill the Three Little Pigs, but I do it only because they are my natural prey. It's nothing personal, I just don't like the idea of starving. And sure, I may be a character in a child's fairy tale, but as you can see, I am a more convincing villain with deeper motives than Palpatine."

I'm glad you've got Palpatine's motives and story down so well, Ryan, instead of just making shit up and ignoring what myself and ABF have been telling you over the years.

Really, it's an effective way to argue a point: completely ignoring the facts and making up your own to fit your false argument. Bravo!

Spare me that. You've never told me what his motives are, you both merely assure me that he does have motives, and that this movie will satisfy my desire to know what they are. I'm not ignoring any of the facts, because these facts simply aren't revealed yet. How can I acknowledge what does not exist?

Until I see these motives, I'm going to assume he has none, because the last five movies have failed to reveal any of them, save for what I described above.

I mean really, to say that Palpatine is anywhere near as deep as Hitler, who is probably the essential tortured-childhood villain, is laughable. Palpatine is a like Bowser of Super Mario: Bowser repeatedly kidnaps the Princess and tries to take over the Mushroom Kingdom, for reasons no one has ever bothered to elaborate upon. That's okay, since I don't expect Bowser to have motives. He's just a basic antagonist and no one would ever argue otherwise. Palpatine, however, being the single individual who is practically responsible for everything that happens in Star Wars, has no excuse for being so simplistic in his motivations.

I chalk it up to lousy writing. I could do better in my sleep. I'm sure I already have.

Yes I'm sure. Whatever

I've explained in detail--so has ABF--a good amount of Palpatine's motives. And you haven't even seen Episode III yet, which reveals much more as well as making sense out of the whole thing.

But Palpatine's motives (to put it simply): wanting to bring a galaxy back to its former glory and remove the incompetence that has controlled it for thousands of years, has many parallels to Hitler's. There is more to it than that, but I don't want to spoil Episode III for you. I suggest you wait until you see that movie, and if you are still unsatisfied then there is no hope for you.

In the OT, you learn all that you need to know about Palpatine for those movies. Nothing more is needed; simply adding more backstory to a character does not constitute great storytelling. You don't just give every person an elaborate background. But your ridiculous simplification of Palpatine does little to help your case.

OB1 Wrote:But Palpatine's motives (to put it simply): wanting to bring a galaxy back to its former glory and remove the incompetence that has controlled it for thousands of years, has many parallels to Hitler's. There is more to it than that, but I don't want to spoil Episode III for you. I suggest you wait until you see that movie, and if you are still unsatisfied then there is no hope for you.
Give me a direct example from the movies where Palpatine states that he wishes to return the galaxy to a former glory. I know that the Republic is decaying from the inside because of poor leadership, and Palpatine remarks upon this, but nothing he does speaks to me that he is really interested in fixing the system. He wishes to replace it with his own, one born from a corrupt individual. Palpatine does not want the system to improve, for that matter, he doesn't care if it changes one bit. The only thing he wants is to be in control of the system, good, bad or ugly, and that the Empire is riddled with corruption and decay is proof enough of that. The Empire is much more iron-fisted in its methods than the Republic, but it is no more efficient or stable (after all, a small rebel force is able to knock the Empire flat on its ass in a matter of only a few years), and right up to the end, Palpatine sees no wrong in what he does, neither in the moral sense, nor in the application sense. He's such a genius that his protege tosses his wrinkled old ass into a reactor core and his empire is brought down with the help of an army of teddy bears.

Palpatine doesn't want order and stability, and he never gets it. What he does want is power, and that's what he gets. He may use the guise of order and stability as bait to convince others, but the viewer cannot be fooled unless he allows himself to be.

Quote:In the OT, you learn all that you need to know about Palpatine for those movies. Nothing more is needed; simply adding more backstory to a character does not constitute great storytelling. You don't just give every person an elaborate background. But your ridiculous simplification of Palpatine does little to help your case.
Jesus, I know not every character deserves his own chapter of history. But Palpatine isn't just any character, he is the single most driving force behind the existence of Star Wars! Everything that takes place happens because of what Palpatine does! Without Palps, we wouldn't have Darth Vader, or the slaughter of the Jedi, or the Empire, or the force which rebels against it. Without Palpatine, nothing would have changed. Palpatine is the master manipulator, the puppeteer who controls every major event of the entire play. He is, by far, the single most influential and important catalyst of the entire series. Every other character in the series is, in the end, a pawn in a game he created and controls. He deserves more backstory than ANYONE, and that he has so little to show in that category is a travesty. Palpatine COULD be such an incredibly deep character even without the whole tragic past angle, yet Lucas, for whatever reason, through five movies so far given us no character development whatsover on this character. The only change Palpatine goes through is that he starts out as the Evil Chancellor who controls things from behind the scenes, to the Evil Emperor who controls things from center stage. That is not character development, just inevitable progression. It is lazy.

I won't say Ep. III won't answer a lot of my questions. It just may satisfy me. But after five episodes of nothing, you can't blame me for being skeptical... well, most people can't. You'll have no trouble though, I know :)

Quote:Give me a direct example from the movies where Palpatine states that he wishes to return the galaxy to a former glory. I know that the Republic is decaying from the inside because of poor leadership, and Palpatine remarks upon this, but nothing he does speaks to me that he is really interested in fixing the system. He wishes to replace it with his own, one born from a corrupt individual. Palpatine does not want the system to improve, for that matter, he doesn't care if it changes one bit. The only thing he wants is to be in control of the system, good, bad or ugly, and that the Empire is riddled with corruption and decay is proof enough of that. The Empire is much more iron-fisted in its methods than the Republic, but it is no more efficient or stable (after all, a small rebel force is able to knock the Empire flat on its ass in a matter of only a few years), and right up to the end, Palpatine sees no wrong in what he does, neither in the moral sense, nor in the application sense. He's such a genius that his protege tosses his wrinkled old ass into a reactor core and his empire is brought down with the help of an army of teddy bears.

Palpatine doesn't want order and stability, and he never gets it. What he does want is power, and that's what he gets. He may use the guise of order and stability as bait to convince others, but the viewer cannot be fooled unless he allows himself to be.

Actually he does get order and stability, with the only annoyance being the Rebellion. The evidence of my argument is littered throughout all of the movies, and in Episode III it will be elaborated on and made clear as day. I'm sorry that it went over your head.

Quote:Jesus, I know not every character deserves his own chapter of history. But Palpatine isn't just any character, he is the single most driving force behind the existence of Star Wars! Everything that takes place happens because of what Palpatine does! Without Palps, we wouldn't have Darth Vader, or the slaughter of the Jedi, or the Empire, or the force which rebels against it. Without Palpatine, nothing would have changed. Palpatine is the master manipulator, the puppeteer who controls every major event of the entire play. He is, by far, the single most influential and important catalyst of the entire series. Every other character in the series is, in the end, a pawn in a game he created and controls. He deserves more backstory than ANYONE, and that he has so little to show in that category is a travesty. Palpatine COULD be such an incredibly deep character even without the whole tragic past angle, yet Lucas, for whatever reason, through five movies so far given us no character development whatsover on this character. The only change Palpatine goes through is that he starts out as the Evil Chancellor who controls things from behind the scenes, to the Evil Emperor who controls things from center stage. That is not character development, just inevitable progression. It is lazy.

I won't say Ep. III won't answer a lot of my questions. It just may satisfy me. But after five episodes of nothing, you can't blame me for being skeptical... well, most people can't. You'll have no trouble though, I know

That's like saying that Zeus should have a greater backstory in the tales of Hercules because he's behind everything. Yes Palpatine is behind everything in the movies, but he's not the most important part of the saga. There is sufficient information on Palpatine and his motives in the movies (not even including Episode III which like I said will bring everything together), but he is not the most important character in Star Wars. He's the puppeteer, yes, but the story is about the puppets. Eh, you get my drift. It's about the Skywalker family.

If you still don't get it then eh, whatever. I'm sick of arguing this. Just wait until Episode III, blah blah blah. I'm finished here.

Quote:Really, it's an effective way to argue a point: completely ignoring the facts and making up your own to fit your false argument. Bravo!

You should know a lot about that one, OB1... at least the 'not listening to the other person's arguement" part.

Quote:I don't know about Milosevic, but Hitler had plenty of motives for what he did. I'll get back to you with details if you want, but I must be off to the cinema right now.

I'd say Milosevic has just as good reasons as Hitler. Well, except maybe he's a bit less crazy...

Quote: Spare me that. You've never told me what his motives are, you both merely assure me that he does have motives, and that this movie will satisfy my desire to know what they are. I'm not ignoring any of the facts, because these facts simply aren't revealed yet. How can I acknowledge what does not exist?

How can you say this immediately after I describe a good chunk of his motives? That's being just as bad as OB1 is... 'I'm right because I'm right and nothing you can say could change that fact" is never a good philosophy. And acting like others didn't JUST say things that directly contradict what you say here... that's not right.

Quote:But Palpatine's motives (to put it simply): wanting to bring a galaxy back to its former glory and remove the incompetence that has controlled it for thousands of years, has many parallels to Hitler's. There is more to it than that, but I don't want to spoil Episode III for you. I suggest you wait until you see that movie, and if you are still unsatisfied then there is no hope for you.

Yes.

Quote:Give me a direct example from the movies where Palpatine states that he wishes to return the galaxy to a former glory. I know that the Republic is decaying from the inside because of poor leadership, and Palpatine remarks upon this, but nothing he does speaks to me that he is really interested in fixing the system. He wishes to replace it with his own, one born from a corrupt individual. Palpatine does not want the system to improve, for that matter, he doesn't care if it changes one bit. The only thing he wants is to be in control of the system, good, bad or ugly, and that the Empire is riddled with corruption and decay is proof enough of that. The Empire is much more iron-fisted in its methods than the Republic, but it is no more efficient or stable (after all, a small rebel force is able to knock the Empire flat on its ass in a matter of only a few years), and right up to the end, Palpatine sees no wrong in what he does, neither in the moral sense, nor in the application sense. He's such a genius that his protege tosses his wrinkled old ass into a reactor core and his empire is brought down with the help of an army of teddy bears.

It's obvious that he wants to return the galaxy to its former glory... he only talks about it consantly. Yes, he does use that as an excuse to his underlings sometimes (to get them to do things)... but that doesn't change the fact that it is definitely a very real problem and undoubtedly Palpatine wants to change that. Most of what he's saying about it might just be inventions to get people to follow his plans, but i have no doubt he believes what he says.

Of course Palpatine wants order. Why else would he make such a massive effort to force the galaxy to follow his orders? There's only one answer to that... he wants order. Badly. As for saying 'he was no more effective than the Republic'... well, for one thing... the Republic's war (the Clone War) was a sham. Palpatine controls both sides, and is orchestrating the whole thing... so of course it's going to go along with his script. As for the Rebellion, well, you just have to use some creative liscence there. I would admit that there's a bit of a discongruity between the Emperor of TPM and AotC (a cold, calculating, and obviously brilliant man who is succeeding at all of his plans) and the man we saw in the classic trilogy. I mean, really, he lost because of the Ewoks... well, them and Vader's betrayal, but with the Ewoks succeeding on the ground, the only thing that that event changed was whether Luke survived or not...) it is kind of hard to believe when you think about it. :)

I guess the obvious answer is that like his body, using too much of the dark force twisted his mind so that his genious was warped... it's a believable answer, too, when you consider the nature of the Force.

Quote:That's like saying that Zeus should have a greater backstory in the tales of Hercules because he's behind everything. Yes Palpatine is behind everything in the movies, but he's not the most important part of the saga. There is sufficient information on Palpatine and his motives in the movies (not even including Episode III which like I said will bring everything together), but he is not the most important character in Star Wars. He's the puppeteer, yes, but the story is about the puppets. Eh, you get my drift. It's about the Skywalker family.

Yeah... Palpatine needs Vader. Especially, I'm sure, in Episode III... though he shows his importance in RotJ too... ;)

Quote:You should know a lot about that one, OB1... at least the 'not listening to the other person's arguement" part.

Haha, I said that with you in mind, and I think you know that which is why all you could muster up as a response was "PFFFT THAT"S SOO YOU!!!!1111".

Quote:Haha, I said that with you in mind, and I think you know that which is why all you could muster up as a response was "PFFFT THAT"S SOO YOU!!!!1111".

I thought you were probably talking about our arguements as well, which is why I responded with my usual response... :)

You're so damned predictable.

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - A Black Falcon - 30th April 2005

Why reply just to that part and not to the part of the post that actually matters?

Early Episode III review from Kevin Smith - Dark Jaguar - 30th April 2005

Well, maybe Zeus should have had more of a backstory... The various tales of Hercules weren't exactly highly developed. I mean, it was all comic book fare for that era.