Tendo City
Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread (/showthread.php?tid=2783)

Pages: 1 2

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 19th April 2005

Your thoughts on the baseball season thus far? To open, my recollections are that:

The Dodgers are a possibility for the World Series, the Yankees have gotten off to a hilariously terrible start; the White Sox, B-Jays and Orioles have all seriously improved since last season... and even the Nationals are doing good! Who'd have thought that the Expos could be recycled into a good team... as for my Red Sox, I feel very confident now that I've seen David Wells and Matt Clement pitch some good stuff. Some predictions:

-Red Sox and Yankees will, as always, battle for first in the AL-East.
-The White Sox will take the AL-Central by storm.
-Same old for the AL-West: A's vs. the Angels.
-For the NL East, I predict a Nationals or Mets win.
-The Cardinals have the NL Central again this year.
-The Dodgers will carry the NL West, and go to the World Series.

I predict a Dodgers or Cardinals vs. Red Sox, Blue Jays or White Sox World Series.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - The Former DMiller - 19th April 2005

The Yankees started poorly last year too didn't they? I don't think Yankee fans have much to worry about. I'm really worried about the Cubs as they haven't shown much consistency yet. I see the Astros and Cubs challenging the Cards for the NL Central, but I don't think either can touch them at this point.

The NL West is going to be a race to watch between the Padres and Dodgers. The Giants may put up a fight, but I think it will be the Padres that pull it off, and the Dodgers will win the NL Wild Card.

The NL East is a really tough call. I can see any of the teams winning that division. I see Atlanta and Florida having the best shot at it, and I see the Braves streak of division championship coming to an end at the hands of the Marlins.

The AL East will be Yankees/Red Sox again, but I think the O's will stick around longer than most people would expect. I think the Red Sox will actually win the division this year, though, with the Yanks earning the Wild Card.

The White Sox and Twins will battle for the AL Central with Cleveland sticking around for some time. I think the Sox will be able to pull it off this year.

The AL West is the easiest pick for me. I have the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim running away with the division.

In the playoffs I forsee:

Division Series:
Dodgers over Cardinals
Padres over Marlins
Angels over Yankees
Red Sox over White Sox

Championship Series:
Padres over Dodgers
Angels over Red Sox

World Series:
Angels over Padres (5 games)

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 19th April 2005

What I predict, or what I want to see? :)

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Fittisize - 19th April 2005

Blue Jays are off to a hell of a start...I think they have the muscle to stay ahead of the Red Sox but not the Yankees in the long run. Possible AL Wild-Card.

I'm too damn depressed with baseball to even think about the Nationals. I still like watching my favourite players from the past four or so years, but the fact that they aren't in Expos jerseys just leaves me feeling empty.

This year I'm a fan of specific players only: all the ex-Expos from last year (NOT the Nationals), Vladimir Guerrero, Eric Gagne, Javiar Vasquez, Larry Walker, Pedro Martinez, Marquis Grissom, Moises Alou...[Image: frown.gif]

Maybe I'll cheer for Toronto too.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 20th April 2005

The Rangers will win the World Series.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - OB1 - 20th April 2005

Bo Jackson will make a triumphant comeback and form a team of just himself, and will win the World Series.

BTW why is it called the World series when only U.S. teams play?

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 20th April 2005

Because in 1901 it seemed like a good idea... if you're the best team in the US well, you're the best team in the world! We're better than the rest of you anyway. :)

Now? Well, players from all over the world come here to play, so...

Yeah...

Are there ever actual world championships though? I know that basketball is in the olympics (where we got our asses handed to us for the first time ever last year), but what about baseball? Who usually wins?

Well, there is ONE Canadian team left.

Quote:but what about baseball? Who usually wins?

Cuba or Japan, I think.

Against the U.S.? Really? What's it called?

Toronto Blue Jays.

Erm

What?

Me: Are there ever actual world championships though? I know that basketball is in the olympics (where we got our asses handed to us for the first time ever last year), but what about baseball? Who usually wins?

You: Cuba or Japan, I think.

Me: Against the U.S.? Really? What's it called?

You: Toronto Blue Jays.

Me: ...

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 20th April 2005

The Olympics, OB1... ;)

And the US or Cuba usually win. But the MLB players aren't involved. They are working on a true "World Series" championship, like the World Cup (except, of course, with fewer countries)... it should happen next spring.

As for my predictions... hmm.

AL East: Yankees will win, Sox second with the wildcard.
AL Central: Minnesota will win. (but will the White Sox finally live up to their promise?)
AL West: Hmm... I don't know. I want Seattle to win because I dislike the other three teams, but probably the Angels will win.
NL East: Atlanta again? They've won enough in a row that I'm not going to bet against them...
NL Central: Um... I'd like to say the Cubs, but... it'll probably be St. Louis.
NL West: Hopefully the Giants, but the Dodgers definitely have a good chance.

Me: There's is ONE Canadian team left.

You: Against the U.S.? Really? What's it called?

Me: Toronto Blue Jays.

You: Erm

Me: Anyway, they play baseball in the Olympics. Cuba and Japan are the best in it, I think.

Great Rumbler Wrote:Me: There's is ONE Canadian team left.

You: Against the U.S.? Really? What's it called?

Me: Toronto Blue Jays.

You: Erm

Me: Anyway, they play baseball in the Olympics. Cuba and Japan are the best in it, I think.

Erm

Baseball is an event in the Olympics and there is one Canadian team in the MLB.

Yes I got that. But how you read my post gets an erm.

There is such a thing as quote tags for a reason, OB1. My post had two parts, how am I supposed to know which you were replying to?

The one right above mine! Otherwise I would have quoted.

You're so weird, OB1.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - The Former DMiller - 21st April 2005

GR: There's is ONE Canadian team left.

OB1: Against the U.S.? Really? What's it called?

GR: Toronto Blue Jays.

OB1: Erm

GR: Anyway, they play baseball in the Olympics. Cuba and Japan are the best in it, I think.

OB1: Erm

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 21st April 2005

Erm

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - OB1 - 21st April 2005

I wasn't asking about no stupid Canadian team though. I was clearly talking about some sort of world competition in baseball.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 21st April 2005

Yes, and I talked about that. Other than the Olympics, it's coming soon.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - OB1 - 21st April 2005

I know...

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 21st April 2005

How can anyone foresee the Angels beating the Red Sox? Have you not been watching the past two years, how the Red Sox consistently flatten them every time? I agree, though, that the White Sox are suddenly a powerhouse and may go a lot further this year... who knows, a Dodgers-White Sox World Series? Wouldn't that be funny.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - The Former DMiller - 21st April 2005

The Angels have some talent on that team, but obviously not the same level of talent as the Red Sox. However, I just think this just isn't the year for the Sox (White or Red) and the Angels will be able to squeak out a series win against the Red Sox.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Laser Link - 22nd April 2005

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I love you Derek! Such support for my Pads. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy. Ahem.

The LA Dogs got off to a good start, but we'll have to see how it lasts. It's way too early to tell. Really, this is like saying that a 2-0 football team is a sure bet for the Super Bowl and the 1-1 team is done for good. We're not even 1/10 of the way into the season, and while I think it is very important to start well there is a lot of baseball left.

I like how the Yanks have sputtered, but I seem to recall them starting off slowly the last couple years.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 24th April 2005

You know it's early in the season when the White Sox have the best record in baseball and the Yankees are second worst in the American League... :)

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Weltall - 24th April 2005

Now that I finally have a reason, I am going to root for the Nationals, as they are as close to a home team as Virginia will ever get.

And I understand they're off to a good start this year.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 5th May 2005

Wow, lately the Brewers are hot---they've won seven straight, including sweeps of the Reds and Cubs! And the Yankess dropped three games out of four to the D-Rays!! Whereas the Sox took 3 of 4 from Detroit. What a great week for baseball! Cool

I also got to see the Red Sox 2004 trophy, as it came to my hometown high school today.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 5th May 2005

Wow, the Yankees are doing badly... and isn't it great? :)

Today, the Yankees lost to Tampa. That means that Tampa swept them in a 3-game series. And now the Yankees are tied with the D-Rays for last place in the AL East.

Did anyone, even Yankee haters like a lot of people here, expect THIS? :) :)

... oh yeah, Baltimore is doing well... well, we can solve that. ... :evil:

Erm... anyway, the Yankees won't stay down, I know. It's just great to see that they can struggle too... and they don't have infinite resources. They've got about as much money as anyone could ask for, but they have very little tradable talent... almost nothing in the minors and too many giant contracts no one wants in the majors...

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 6th May 2005

I dunno; I think they may stay down... Randy Johnson is far and away their ace, and he pitches losing games to the D-Rays? Their pitching is better than last year, (mayber), but they still aren't winning... yea the Orioles are on fire, its scary. It could come down to an Orioles-White Sox ALCS. Wouldn't that be weird...

I'm going to a Red Sox-Athletics game on Tuesday. Bounce

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 6th May 2005

Hmm... I just think the Yankees are too good, and have too much money, to stay down. Maybe they won't win the AL East again, but... they're better than they are doing now.

As for Baltimore, can't they go away? :) ... I know, the Sox aren't doing great either, and the injuries are hurting... but it'd be nice... :D

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - The Former DMiller - 8th May 2005

In other baseball news, I was suppose to see my first game at Fenway yesterday, but instead I got to experience my first New England Nor'easter. Thanks a lot crappy New England weather. :p

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 8th May 2005

I got home from school yesterday (semester ended friday...). Today, I walked downtown. Wearing my winter coat, because it was cold.

... hey, it's only May... :)

It has been raining a lot over the past couple of weeks, though. Annoying... I don't like rain.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 8th May 2005

Man, I feel sorry for you ABF. It's all shorts and short-sleaved shirts for me down here in Oklahoma. *currently 75 degrees*

Oh, I don't mind the temperature... it's the rain that annoys me. :)

Cold weather annoys me.

And hot weather annoys me. :)

Well...YOU annoy ME.

So there.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 9th May 2005

In other baseball news, I was suppose to see my first game at Fenway yesterday, but instead I got to experience my first New England Nor'easter. Thanks a lot crappy New England weather.

It hasn't snowed in or around Boston to any great extent since March; let alone that we haven't had a nor easter since January when we got two feet. I live fifty miles south of Boston and while the weathers pretty shitty, it's because its cool, cloudy and wet... not snowing.

White Sox still lead the whole of MLBdom. Wow.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - A Black Falcon - 9th May 2005

Hmm... I guess it depends on if you define "nor'easter" as a storm, or as a winter snowstorm...

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - The Former DMiller - 9th May 2005

A Nor'easter is technically defined as a warm low-pressure system joining with a cold high-pressure system so they can occur pretty much anytime. The one that happened this past weekend was an unseasonably late one, but it's still possible. This comes from three atmospheric science courses I took in college.

Link

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Darunia - 22nd May 2005

-The Mets embarassed the Yankees in a 7-1 win two days ago.

-The White Sox still own all of MLB.

-Yankees have clawed their way back above .500.

-The Sox game I went to two weeks ago was a win, off of a Kevin Millar homerun.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Great Rumbler - 22nd May 2005

Rangers embarrass the Astros 18-3.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - Laser Link - 23rd May 2005

Pads are owning you all. So nyah.

Darunia's Baseball Discussion Thread - OB1 - 23rd May 2005

Go Rockies!