Tendo City
Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson (/showthread.php?tid=2753)

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - Great Rumbler - 11th April 2005

Quote: Konami revealed its new position as majority stockholder of Hudson Soft Co., Ltd. today on its Japanese website.

After dismal fiscal year for Hudson, the software company turned to its primary stockholder, Konami, to improve its fiscal situation. Hoping to "strengthen Hudson's net worth," Konami agreed to purchase 3 million new shares to raise its ownership of Hudson from forty-five percent to fifty-four percent.

Hudson is now a consolidated subsidiary of Konami, and the parent company will oversee the developer's reorganization. Hudson currently provides Nintendo (which owns 1.23% of Hudson) with games and software development tools. Whether Konami's increased investment will influence Hudson's relations with Nintendo is unknown.

Planet Gamecube

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - The Former DMiller - 11th April 2005

I definitely want to know how this will affect Nintendo since Hudson provides them with some great games. I'm guessing things won't change much since Konami already had a great deal of Hudson shares before this move.

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - Dark Jaguar - 11th April 2005

Interesting...

Companies are all engulfing each other... At this rate, the only two left will be EA and Nintendo... Then, they will engulf each other... At this point, they will collapse into itself and a Big Bang of new companies will spring forth.

Or something...

So...which one of them is going to buy Sony and Microsoft?

Neither, MS and Sony will just lose their development teams one by one, that's all :D.

Ah... :S

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - A Black Falcon - 11th April 2005

Hmm... yeah, we'll see how this affects Nintendo. Hudson definitely has been a stronger supporter of Nintendo than Konami...

Has Konami even released any major games for the GC? I can't think of any off-hand.

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - A Black Falcon - 11th April 2005

They've released a few, but not many.

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - EdenMaster - 11th April 2005

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Made by Silicon Knights.

They did release the three TMNT games (mediocre, sadly)... and a couple of others I think... but not much.

Sure, but it's not like they could have done it without Konami.

Quote:Sure, but it's not like they could have done it without Konami.

They did have to get approval from Konami to make it and some people from Konami helped work on it, but I don't think Konami would say no to someone who's offering to foot most of the bill to make a game, especially when that company is doing most of the work. What I'm saying is just because Konami let SK make Twin Snakes doesn't mean that Konami is planning on releasing more games for the GC or that they even see any profit in releasing games on the GC. If that's true then they'll stop their subsidary from releasing any games for it. That's just the way it is.

Well I wasn't really saying that. I only said they couldn't do it without Konami's permission.

...There's also the fact that Konami had to have at least some confidence they wouldn't just screw it all up.

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - EdenMaster - 13th April 2005

Dark Jaguar Wrote:...There's also the fact that Konami had to have at least some confidence they wouldn't just screw it all up.

Especially with entrusting them to remake one of their flagship titles one of the greatest games ever made. I think of it as a joint effort between SK and Konami.

Konami becomes majority shareholder of Hudson - Dark Jaguar - 25th August 2015

Memories... And what did Konami DO with their acquisition? They laid them all off! Nice one! I'm actually very glad things didn't go the "everyone eats each other" route.