Tendo City
Sega Final Fantasy VI - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Sega Final Fantasy VI (/showthread.php?tid=2744)

Sega Final Fantasy VI - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2005

This is awesome. It's a half hour long Flash of the ending to Final Fantasy VI... with all the characters replaced with videogame consoles, and all the text redone (yes, it is in english.). Watch it now! (dialup-unfriendly, as it's 15mb) I won't put the flash here so as to not steal too much bandwidth.

http://www.hcn.zaq.ne.jp/cabic508/rsf/frame1.html

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Great Rumbler - 8th April 2005

Hahaha! That's hilarious!

It's very impressive work, too... must have taken a while.

I'm sure it'd have made more sense if I'd played the end of FFVI, and I was confused in some parts, but it's good enough that that didn't matter much...

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Dark Jaguar - 8th April 2005

So am I to take it you've actually played through FF6, or did someone tell you about it and that's how you knew what it was?

And yes, that was amusing, though honestly a giant evil Bill Gates or something super imposed on Kefka's angelic form would have been better.

I mean, I want a PSP, and more and more, the idea of having a "set top box" seems a good thing. Yes, "evil me", but I don't care. It's just cheaper to get one thing that does it all, so long as it does it all well.

Quote:So am I to take it you've actually played through FF6, or did someone tell you about it and that's how you knew what it was?

Someone told me about it.

Quote:I mean, I want a PSP, and more and more, the idea of having a "set top box" seems a good thing. Yes, "evil me", but I don't care. It's just cheaper to get one thing that does it all, so long as it does it all well.

Evil you! :)

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Geno - 8th April 2005

Freakin' awesome. Makes me wanna play through FF6 again, even though I did just a few months ago.

Identifying all of those consoles before their names is shown is hard... :)

Sega Final Fantasy VI - The Former DMiller - 8th April 2005

A lot of references to Nintendo being kiddie, but I loved the PSP (Kefka) firing the UMDs. It makes me want to replay FF6 as well.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2005

So like, a friend of yours totally spoiled the ending of the game for you? Well, that was nice of him... Ya know, in all the times I've played that game, I've never beaten it in the incomplete way of not doing ANY of the post cataclysm side quests... I understand the ending is pretty different when you don't have certain key characters in your group.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - A Black Falcon - 9th April 2005

They linked the flash and said 'it's the ending of FFVI'... spoiled the ending? Slightly, but I don't know which console is which character, plenty of the lines were changed, and it was fairly confusing, so it's not so bad...

And really, do I really think I'd have had the patience to get that far into that game? I highly doubt it. So I don't mind at all, given how awesome this flash is.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Great Rumbler - 9th April 2005

RUMBLE PACK'D!!

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Geno - 9th April 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:They linked the flash and said 'it's the ending of FFVI'... spoiled the ending? Slightly, but I don't know which console is which character, plenty of the lines were changed, and it was fairly confusing, so it's not so bad...

And really, do I really think I'd have had the patience to get that far into that game? I highly doubt it. So I don't mind at all, given how awesome this flash is.

I've completed longer games than FF6. (FF7 to name one.) While FF6 is slightly less fun during the second half than it is during the first half, it's worth beating in my opinion. (And I managed to get all 14 characters in my party, so I got the ending depicted in that Flash.)

The only random-battles RPG I have finished is Skies of Arcadia. I am also almost done with Lunar Legend, but other than that... no more than a few hours...

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Weltall - 9th April 2005

I have beaten FF6 so badly that dinner's always ready when I get home from work.

I made it to the end of FF7, but I got beat and the last time I save was over an hour back so I got really mad. I haven't played it since...

On a side note, I have beaten Star Ocean 2, which is arguably one of the greatest RPGs of the 32-bit era.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - The Former DMiller - 9th April 2005

Aren't there save points right before the final boss? Did you just figure you'd kick his ass so you didn't bother saving? :)

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2005

Actually, there's only a save point there if you used the item that generates a save point right there, and I guess he didn't. Me? I go to the VERY last PIXEL I can use the generator on before I can't go backwards, and now I have a save point right before the final boss.

Final Fantasy 6, I do believe I've learned almost every single FORMULA that game has to offer at this point :D. I'm at the point where what rages Gau is about to learn in the veldt isn't based on chance for me :D. The code, it is broken!

I accidentally went past the point where you can use the portable save point and was subsequently killed.

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Final Fantasy 6, I do believe I've learned almost every single FORMULA that game has to offer at this point :D. I'm at the point where what rages Gau is about to learn in the veldt isn't based on chance for me :D. The code, it is broken!

I am very impressed. Any chance you are looking for an apprentice?

That's one thing I love about the Lunar games, they've all got save anywhere...

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Weltall - 9th April 2005

In FF7 I use the save crystal not near the end, but in one particular area, that being the swamp-like marsh area. It's pretty close to the end, but more importantly, it's the area containing monsters that by far yield the greatest amount of AP, allowing some materia to be mastered in a matter of minutes.

I'm playing FF6 right now, for the first time in perhaps two years, and I want to get as near a perfect game as possible (I hate how you have to choose between the Ragnarok Esper and the Ragnarok Sword, though I always take the sword. There is another way to learn Ultima). And even after almost eight years of loving this game, I still find things I never knew about (for instance, the Atlas Armlet hidden in Mt. Kolts... how many dozens of times did I pass that by, never even knowing it existed?)

There's another way to learn Ultima in the game? I only took the sword once, and decided that although it kicks ass, it isn't worth it since you can only give it to one character while every character can learn Ultima.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Geno - 10th April 2005

I didn't know there was another way to learn Ultima. But yeah, I took the Esper both times that I played through the game. (In 2002 and in 2005.) I spent several hours before entering Kefka's Tower training my characters and teaching them all Fire 3, Ice 3, Lightning 3, Life 2, Cure 3, Ultima, and various other techniques that I deemed necessary. I guess it wasn't really necessary to teach these moves to Gau and Relm considering I could only take twelve characters with me and they were the two I left behind.

As for the save crystal in FF7, on my first time through (2001), I left the save crystal at the area where all the characters split up. I figured that was about midway between the boss and the entrance, so I figured if I needed to leave for any reason, I could. Instead, I found it aggravating to have to walk all that way to the boss over and over, so on my second time through (2003/2004-ish), I put it pretty damn close to the boss. Though I've only beaten the game once. I could never beat Safer Sephiroth on my second trip. (I hate that damn attack he does, where he destroys the entire Solar System... again and again.)

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Dark Jaguar - 10th April 2005

Yeah, isn't it weird how he can like... do that... over and over again?

The funny thing is, I was under the impression that this world was totally ficitional, and not exactly "Earth". It does however look totally awesome to see him just sitting there letting the solar explosion engulf him to get to us.

Final Fantasy 6, SECRET TIME EXPLOSIVO!

Ultima, you must know there is an alternate way, so I will tell thee!

You can learn Ultima from the Ragnarok Esper, this we all know. However, you can ALSO learn certain spells from equipment. For example, most of the imp equipment teaches the "imp" spell. What teaches Ultima? The Paladin Shield, that's what.

So, where do you get that shield? Well, in later half of the game, return to Narshe. There, all the doors will be locked tight, so you better bring a thief. Get that guy to unlock all the doors and explore the buildings until you find an old man (or 5, I dunno, there's a lot of people hiding in that ghost town). One of them will give you the "cursed shield". This is a TERRIBLE item that has negative stats and, during battle, afflicts you with most of the negative status effects in the game. If, however, you fight with it equipped for 255 battles, it will uncurse.

Here's all the little things you should know about uncursing.

1. If you equip the ribbon, you will negate almost all the status effects, making it a lot easier to uncurse it. You don't NEED the ribbon for it to work though. I learned that from testing it myself.

2. The only thing the ribbon won't remove is the "countdown to doom" status effect, which a safety bit won't remove either, so basically just make sure the battles are over quickly. Since the counter is pretty high, about a minute or so, that shouldn't be a problem.

3. Yes, you can unequip it and the battles will be saved. No problem, so if you have a tough boss battle ahead and you want yourself at full power, go ahead and remove it for that battle.

4. No, you can't equip it to another character. Apparently the code is set up so that each individual character has their own "uncurse battles" counter, so if you take it off of Terra and put it on Celes, it's her battle counter that will raise, not Terra's, so if she hasn't fought with the paladin shield at all, that's a 0 battle counter right there. Try and keep it on the same character the whole time.

5. 255 is a lot, it does take a while, but there's a pretty easy way to make it not boring. Basically, get it early on in the second half of the game, equip it, and go through the rest of the game with the shield equipped. By the time you reach the final location of the game, you should have uncursed it.

6. Yes, the game tells you when it is uncursed. A big message will appear at the end of a battle saying "Curse dispelled" or something like that.

The Paladin shield is awesome. It's the most powerful shield in the game in fact. It skyrockets almost all your stats, so say yay. Also, as I said, it teaches ultima, but only at a rate of x1. If you have both ragnarok and the shield, you can "stack" the effects to learn at x2, but it's not really worth it in my opinion considering you lose the raganarok sword.

Alright, let me teach you a few other things about this game.

The physical evade stat is glitched. It is glitched in EVERY version of the game. The glitch is, the physical evade stat is not used. Basically, when they were coding the formula for determining battle damage, when they got to the part where evasion is determined for physical stats, they accidently used the magical evade variable there instead of the physical evade variable. So, your magical evasion determines the chances of evading physical attacks too. Really, as far as the actual coding goes, it was an easy mistake to make, and if they still have the source code, most likely a VERY easy mistake that will take all of 30 seconds to fix, but it's there, and the debug team must not have noticed it. Heck, most players don't notice it.

This means a few things. One, any equipment designed to boost your physical evade stat specifically, are worthless. If it's an "overall" evade effect that is special and ignores stats, fine, if it's magical, fine, but if it directly boosts the physical evasion stat, you won't notice a thing. I forget if there's any equipment that ONLY does that, but all I'm saying is if you want evasion, don't bother raising the physical evasion stat.

This also means that the "blind" status effect has no effect on you whatsoever. Attack away, because enemies work the same way. You probably noticed you hit most of the time even when blinded anyway :D. That's what got people looking into the code regarding this to begin with.

Um, what else... Oh yes, you give up Polymorph if you give up the ragnarok esper. That changes enemies into items. Every enemy can be classified into a certain morph "catagory". Each catagory includes 4 items, with no weighting so it's 1/4 for each item in the catagory. Some enemies can be morphed into some pretty rare items. This allows you to get multiple copies of items that are normally just one time only affairs. Not EVERY item in the game can be morphed though, so the list of really rare items you can get from this is small. Oh yes, this is only for getting multiple copies. If that's not as important to you as having at least one of everything, then I don't recommend this skill.

The esper lets you get cursed rings by the way, something you can ONLY otherwise get if you trade in a cursed shield at the colloseum. Since there is only ONE cursed shield, and trading it in means you can't ever get the paladin shield, then forget that.

The cursed ring's curse can't be broken, ever. It's just a terrible item overall that has no pot at the end of the blood soaked rainbow. The only good thing about it is that it teaches the spell "x-zone" at a rate of x5. That's all well and good except that you can learn X-zone via another esper, one that you can get without giving up anything. So, in other words, the cursed ring is NOT worth giving up either the paladin shield or the ragnarok sword.

The ragnarok sword can be upgraded to the illumina sword at the colloseum. That sword is actually better than the ragnarok in every catagory. If you get the ragnarok, it's really only so you can take it straight to the colloseum and upgrade it, but that's still the only way to get that sword.

Okay, that's not ENTIRELY true. A thief can steal a ragnarok sword (and another atma weapon) from one of the parts of Kefka's giant monument of infinite doom in the final battle. Since it IS the final battle, it's beyond the point of being able to even save, much less get out of the tower, so it's sort of just there so you can equip it during the battle (via the item menu). Still, I'd rather have it earlier on where I can actually use it somewheres else.

Lastly, the ragnarok esper doesn't give you any sort of permanent stat bonus at level up that another esper doesn't have.

Anyway, point is, get the ragnarok sword, not the esper. The creature is dead anyway, it's not like forging it's crystalized remains into a weapon is cruel or anything.

Interesting... very interesting. :)

I told you I was a huge nerd about this game.

In fact, I think I'll pull a Welty and challenge everyone with TRIVIA POWERS about it. By "Everyone" I mean those who have played the game.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - The Former DMiller - 10th April 2005

I earned the Paladin Shield once, but for some reason I must have forgotten that it teaches Ultima. It takes so long to uncurse the shield that I didn't bother to do it most of the times I played through FF6. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Sega Final Fantasy VI - Weltall - 10th April 2005

I would be more than happy to accept your challenge, Karen.

Yes, let's do an FF6 trivia, much like the OoT and FFX trivias we had some time ago!

Of course, I'm going to do one of my own! :D

Wait for mine first! :D If you totally kick my contest's arse, then I would expect yours to kick my arse.

I'm not worried so much about that, but I wouldn't want to ask the same questions.

Personally, though I am going to ask the toughest questions I can, I won't ask stupid things like the specific increase in attack power Cyan gets by equipping Forged with Gauntets. Like with my OOT quiz last year, I am going to try to get the subject to really pay attention to the small details.