Tendo City
Finally, a better battery - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Finally, a better battery (/showthread.php?tid=2740)

Finally, a better battery - A Black Falcon - 6th April 2005

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/07/technology/circuits/07pogue.html?8hpib

Quote:Can a New Disposable Battery Change Your Life? Parts of It, Maybe

Published: April 7, 2005

THIS June, Panasonic will introduce Oxyride batteries: AA and AAA disposable batteries that the company calls "the most significant developments in primary battery technology in 40 years." According to Panasonic, these batteries last up to twice as long as premium alkaline batteries like Duracell Ultra ($5 for four), yet cost the same as regular alkalines ($4 for four).

Astounded yet? Then get this: Oxyride batteries are also supposed to deliver more power. The result, the company says, is that battery-operated toothbrushes spin faster, flashlights shine brighter, camera flashes are quicker to recharge and music players produce richer sound.

Play your cards right, in other words, and these batteries might just clean out your gutters, wash the car and do your taxes.

Those are pretty fantastic claims, but Panasonic is certainly right about one thing: the time is right for some technical improvement in batteries. Technology has marched on in just about every other corner of modern life, but people still tiptoe nervously through birthday parties and weddings with their digital cameras, anxiously rationing shots so they'll have juice left for the big moment.

No wonder, then, that in Japan, the Oxyride batteries have captured 10 percent of the battery market in the one year they've been available. In fact, Panasonic predicts that Oxyride will eventually wipe out alkalines just the way alkalines blew regular "heavy-duty" batteries off the map.

Skeptics, however, are surely entitled to scoff, especially at that part about brighter flashlights, faster fans and better-sounding music. Aren't these gizmos somehow voltage-controlled so that they shine, spin or play at a certain rate, regardless of the battery?

Armed with a stopwatch, I spent several exceedingly boring days conducting battery-drain tests with identical pairs of flashlights, screwdrivers, cameras, hand-held fans and swimming bathtub fishies. (Note to the neighbors: You can call off the nice men in the white jackets. It was all in the name of science.)

As it turns out, the power-boosting effect is no marketing concoction; it's real. In identical flashlights, Oxyrides produce an obviously wider, whiter circle of light than Duracell Ultras. You can immediately tell the difference in portable fans, too, because the Oxyride fan hums at a higher pitch, a musical step higher than the Duracell one. The Oxyrides even make power screwdrivers spin faster: 364 r.p.m., compared with 316 r.p.m. for the Duracell Ultras.

Then there's that bit about Oxyrides making MP3 players and CD players produce richer, fuller sound. Panasonic cited a test in Japan in which 80 percent of the players in an orchestra said they preferred the sound from an Oxyride-powered music player. (Panasonic doesn't include sound-quality claims in its official marketing, but it does say it's investigating.)

This one's a tougher call. In blind tests, most people couldn't tell any difference between a CD player with Oxyrides and one with regular alkalines. A few identified the Oxyrides as maybe being a bit richer-sounding, but said that the difference was awfully subtle. All participants confessed, though, that they were not members of a Japanese orchestra.

Amazingly, then, Panasonic Oxyrides do deliver more power, for the same price as ordinary alkalines. To be precise, they deliver 1.7 volts, which is 13 percent more juice than the 1.5 volts of alkalines. (In both cases, the voltage diminishes as the batteries empty.) According to Panasonic, Oxyrides get their power not only from an improved chemical makeup, but also from a vacuum-assembly machine that packs more ingredients into the same space.

But what about the primary claim, that Oxyrides last longer than alkalines? Here, the answer is more complicated.

In rundown tests (put the batteries in, run nonstop till they're dead), Duracell Ultras, and even regular alkaline Duracells, actually beat the Oxyrides. In a krypton-bulb flashlight, the Oxyrides ran for two and a half hours; Duracell Ultras lasted 35 minutes longer. An Oxyride hand-held fan died after an hour; Duracell Ultras had another 25 minutes in them. And in a really cute swimming fish bathtub toy, the Oxyride fish gave up the ghost after 8.5 hours; a pair of ordinary alkalines kept finding Nemo for an amazing 25 hours, nearly three times as long.

Quote:Can a New Disposable Battery Change Your Life? Parts of It, Maybe

(Page 2 of 2)

Now, battery companies generally hate it when well-meaning journalists conduct rundown tests, for a very good reason: nobody uses batteries that way. In the real world, people play, pause and put aside their electronics for days or weeks. Properly conducted battery tests, experts say, are repetitive, expensive and computer-controlled. A battery that's designed to last a long time under real-world conditions may not do well in rundown tests. ("We'd be delighted to help you design valid tests," a battery company representative once told me. "And we'll look forward to reading the results around Christmas.")

And sure enough, when the flashlight test was repeated in a more realistic regimen - one hour on, followed by 30 minutes off for good behavior - the Oxyrides lasted 4 hours 14 minutes. The Duracells still won, but this time by only 10 minutes, and the light produced during the flashlight's final 20 minutes was so feeble it probably shouldn't count. (The Oxyrides tend to die more suddenly than alkalines.)

Panasonic further protested that the Oxyrides were designed to shine in high-drain gadgets (cameras, L.E.D. flashlights, remote-control toys, portable televisions and photo flash units) and moderate-drain gizmos (Game Boys, CD and music players, electric razors), not in low-drain devices like flashlights, fans, radios, clocks, remote controls and bathtub fishies. (So out came the Game Boy and the L.E.D. flashlight, and in went the Oxyrides. Test results: pending. After three days, both of them are still running strong.)

All of this brings us to the World Series of battery competitions: the digital camera test. These days, most digital cameras come with rectangular, proprietary rechargeable battery packs. But if your camera takes disposables, you're already aware of their pathetic battery-consumption record.

The challenge: See how many shots a pair of AA's can take in a digital camera. The test: 50 consecutive shots, alternating flash and nonflash, followed by 10 minutes turned off so the batteries could rest. Then another 50 shots, and so on until "Change the batteries" appears on the camera's screen. (I set the camera to capture low-resolution images, so they'd all fit without having to change or erase the memory card.)

Because this isn't a constant-drain test, you'd expect the Oxyrides to win - and this time, they do. The final score: Regular alkalines, 354 shots; premium alkalines, 566; Panasonic Oxyrides, 844. That's not exactly twice the longevity of premium alkalines, as Panasonic promises (and as PC World magazine found in its own Oxyride battery tests). But it's 2.4 times the life of regular alkalines, for the same price.

Now, even Panasonic admits that Oxyrides aren't the most economical, environmentally friendly, powerful batteries you can buy. That honor goes to rechargeable nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries, which cost under $15 including charger. You can recharge NiMH batteries hundreds of times, and each charge lasts longer than Oxyride or any sort of alkaline.

But NiMHs aren't widely available in stores, they lose their charge quickly on the shelf, and the recharging and swapping process requires planning and discipline. Alas, not everybody has the patience; the road to the abandoned-gadgets drawer is paved with good intentions.

(Another Oxyride rival is AA disposable lithium batteries, offered by Energizer in a four-pack for about $23. Five times the power of standard alkalines, at six times the price. You do the math.)

The bottom line: Oxyride batteries may not quite live up to Panasonic's enthusiastic claims in all kinds of gadgets in every situation. But penny for penny, they deliver more power and, in power-hungry gadgets like digital cameras, last a lot longer than alkalines. Don't look now, but the Energizer bunny may soon be squashed by the Panasonic elephant.

Cool.

Finally, a better battery - Smoke - 7th April 2005

Finally. Now get to work on fuel cells!

Finally, a better battery - A Black Falcon - 7th April 2005

Before, preferably, we run out of oil...

Finally, a better battery - Dark Jaguar - 7th April 2005

We still have LOTS of oil left, more than a lot of people think, but yes it is finite, and more so than something like water, so yes an alternative is certainly something to want.

And um, batteries have so evolved. Perhaps you forgot about Lithium Ion? Yeesh, how do people forget about that anyway? That was a pretty frickin' big jump in technology there.

This guy did NOT perform a double blind test on the brightness claim. In order to make sure that what he saw wasn't just what he was looking for, the only way would be for someone else to put the batteries in the devices, mark them with symbols only they would understand, and then give them to him without telling him which is which. THEN if he can immediatly tell the difference, and he's right about which is which, he has performed a proper test.

Oh and, this whole more power thing, sure hope it doesn't overload things not designed for it... I mean, don't batteries need a very specific power level?

He mentioned blind tests where no one could tell the difference on sound quality, and that's important. If they couldn't there, they never will be able to. It sounds to me like another audiophile scam in the works as far as that claim. Sorry, there's no way a battery is going to boost sound quality. Volume maybe, but not quality, EVER. I don't care what the unblind tests say, they aren't valid. You say to someone "hey, this one you hear here is the one with the oxibattery" and then ask if they could tell the difference, guess what? Their minds will create one, expecting it, not wanting to disappoint the person asking them. More than that, it will seem VERY real to them. Real, that is, until they fail a blind test and do no better than luck in guessing what's what.

Let's put lazy's ears to a BLIND test and see if he can figure it out. Bet he can't. Longer lasting batteries, that's a great improvement, especially for the same price. Ones that deliver more power in the same slot? Well, if that's the case, they will certainly be marked at a different power level. In fans or a flashlight, no biggy usually, but what about hardware that is VERY sensitive to different power? That could cause some damage... Sure, some devices can be run with more power without much consequence, but they have these ratings for a reason. Some are sensitive enough that this could really hurt it. Maybe these are "smart" somehow and won't operate, or have reduced operation, if there's a problem in the circuit? Not sure how that would work exactly... One thing's for sure, there's no way music will play in higher quality. That's EXACTLY the same as saying "using these batteries will improve the graphics of your video games", because both would require a total rewiring of the device to output that quality as well as recoding the source, like the music disk or the game, in a higher quality.

You better believe I'm upset Panasonic would do this. Sure it's not "officially" stated, but their stance right now can't be said to be one that denounces such a physically impossible claim either. I really wish companies would stand up for critical thinking and logic a little more often...

Quote:And um, batteries have so evolved. Perhaps you forgot about Lithium Ion? Yeesh, how do people forget about that anyway? That was a pretty frickin' big jump in technology there.

He mentioned that, saying "five times the power at six times the price". :)

This one's not more expensive than alkaline.

Finally, a better battery - Great Rumbler - 7th April 2005

That's a pretty good price for powerful batteries.

Well, alkaline ultra, anyway...

Are these rechargeble? All I know is the name, which I assume means it involves a molecule made from a lot of oxygen, but I could be wrong there. So, as it stands, I really have no idea if it's possible to safely recharge these things.

Since they call them disposable, I think I can safely assume, no, they are not. Thus, as it stands, Li-Ion is still the the best buy. It's like, you know, sure individually it costs more, but over time, I'll still have my li-ion batteries I bought that day, and ABF will have bought a lot of these disposables. The next question is how much did I have to pay on the ol' electric bill? Eh, that varies too much to really factor it in, but I don't think it adds up to nearly what a disposable battery buyer pays.

Don't get me wrong, advances in technology are all well and good, but my consumer mind has to look at whether or not to purchase this based on how USEFUL it is. Which is to say, I bet it's not that useful.

Upon further thought, ya know, the power output might just mean it's a lot more consistantly strong. I would imagine a flash bulb drains power on a battery, even a fresh one, to the point it's output is not as high as it's rating. Maybe these just manage to maintain the rated output even on those devices, in which case, no fear of damaging anything. There's still no chance of it adding extra levels to games or making music richer or making movies better though.

Finally, a better battery - OB1 - 7th April 2005

They probably meant volume in sound devices, not sound quality.

They specifically said sound quality though. And honestly, considering how often companies can promote worthless pseudoscience, I really don't feel all that funny taking them to mean what they said.

As for volume, that all depends on the device. Newer devices, not a chance. The voltage is very specifically limited. Older devices, with boosting parts that take a direct electrical feed without any sort of control, those I would buy. Problem there is they are designed for a certain power, so when a lot more goes through the boosting circuit, it could sort of "wash out" the circuit with the signal it's meant to boost, just a bit, and so the volume may be upped, but at a cost of sound quality.

Finally, a better battery - Great Rumbler - 7th April 2005

No, the Oxyride batteries aren't rechargeable. NiHM batteries are though, but they're kind of expensive.

Finally, a better battery - Laser Link - 7th April 2005

The article states they are not recharegable, and the rechargable batteries (NiMH) last longer than Oxyride AND are rechargable. Hmmm, I'm not switching.

Finally, a better battery - OB1 - 7th April 2005

Could somebody suggest me the best rechargeable AAA batteries? Exact brand names and such.

I think rechargables aren't as powerful as alkaline, though... but yes, they last a good while and are rechargable, so they're better if you like recharging.

Finally, a better battery - Laser Link - 7th April 2005

I don't mind recharging. I have about 6 rechargable AAs, and only need 4 at a time (GBA and cd player). So I can always have a fresh pair. I think my rechargables are Energizer, but I don't know. Some are Blue and Gold and the others are Green, Silver and Black. I think they are all Energizer though...

Finally, a better battery - A Black Falcon - 8th April 2005

I don't think blue and gold is Energizer though...

Finally, a better battery - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2005

OB1, brand name generally doesn't tell you nearly as much about how well a battery works as researching the technology behind it does. Of course, there is the matter of the manufacturing standards of the company to keep in mind and all...

What does the NiMH designation stand for? Nickel Cadmium rechargebles (I forget that one's designation), for those who haven't used them, just plain suck. They tend to lose their charge rather quickly, both in terms of overall life and the fact that the power dropoff is pretty instant so most devices with a warning light of some kind saying when the power is getting low tend not to give you enough warning. Li-Ion would be great put into the standard sizes, but that's a tough thing to do simply due to the way it works. They could take the flat ionized sheets and wrap it all up like a rug I suppose (haven't thought it out myself), but the question is if they could get all that to fit in the space needed and still provide the power needed for that battery type. Oh yes, Nickel Cadmium also has a "battery memory" issue I believe, namely that over time parts of the overall circuit set up in the battery can break down if the battery is repeatedly only half charged which means that the battery basically has it's capacity reduced. It is frickin' tough to get the battery back to normal. Anyway, due to that, even though rechargebles had been around even in my childhood, I never used them. They just sucked was all...

But yeah, back to the question, what is NiMH?

Edit: Oh that's what they are.

http://channels.lockergnome.com/technobabble/archives/20050401_nimh_batteries.phtml

And also.. it stands for Nickel-Metal Hydride. Apparently they store 150% of the energy of the old NiCA batteries as well as having no "memory effect".

Finally, a better battery - OB1 - 9th April 2005

I'm talking about, you know, a specific NAME that I should look out for, so that I can BUY it.

Finally, a better battery - Dark Jaguar - 9th April 2005

Like I said, I can't really think of any specific names. If you want to find it in a store, your best bet is to look at the packaging below the brand name, where it tells you the battery type. It should say "alkaline" or "nickel cadmium" or probably a short designation symbol instead, but it should be right on the packeging.

Finally, a better battery - etoven - 10th April 2005

OB1 Wrote:Could somebody suggest me the best rechargeable AAA batteries? Exact brand names and such.
It's Very Simple to Find a good battery. Just look for the MAh Symbol at the bottom of the battery. MAh stands for Milla Amperage Hours, which means the higher the MAh the more powerfull and longer the battery will last in your device.

For example a NiMh or Nickle Medel Hydride battery with a MAh rating of 2000 Milla Amps an Hour will not last as long as another battery with a MAh rating of 2600 Milla Amps an Hour.

The higher the MAh rating the better the battery no matter who your buying it from, via (Rayvak, Duracell, Energizer).

Hope this helps.

Finally, a better battery - OB1 - 10th April 2005

... I just want a good rechargeable one

Finally, a better battery - etoven - 10th April 2005

OB1 Wrote:... I just want a good rechargeable one

Energizor NiMh at 2600 MAh

Finally, a better battery - OB1 - 10th April 2005

Thank you.