Tendo City
The pope is dead. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The pope is dead. (/showthread.php?tid=2715)

Pages: 1 2 3

The pope is dead. - Geno - 1st April 2005

Pope John Paul II has just passed away. May he rest in peace.

"I'm-a da freakin' pope!"

The pope is dead. - Fittisize - 1st April 2005

CNN, right now:

"Vatican denies reports that Pope John Paul II has died."

Just a matter of time, though. Maybe I should buy a ticket to Rome...

The pope is dead. - A Black Falcon - 1st April 2005

Yeah, most likely it's either already happened or it'll happen today...

The pope is dead. - Darunia - 1st April 2005

Yea it was on the radio today that he'd "passed away", but I guess he's still clinging tenaciously to his last strands. Shouldn't be much longer though.

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 1st April 2005

According to FNC he's still alive. Of course they get all their information from the Vatican just like everyone else, so who knows.

The pope is dead. - Dark Lord Neo - 1st April 2005

Imagine what would happen if they suggested removing his feeding tube

I hope he has a living will!

The pope is dead. - alien space marine - 1st April 2005

He is at a point of no return nothing can be done to save him now so saying he is dead isnt all that far off although premature , I think "toast" is a far better description.

As for John Paul , He scores points for opossing communism/Fascism and anti semitism or anything ending with a "ism" for that matter ,Scores points for being the first Pontiff to admit the mistakes and dark history of the church and requesting forgiveness.

Loses points for his soft overly permissive aproach to deal with molesting priests, The church lossed all credibility here when it failed to hand in known pediphiles among itself to proper authorities or the very least strip them of their priesthood , Repentense isnt a liscense to rape and sodomize little children just the same as murder , You cant just kill someone and then run to a confession stand bleed your heart out and it all goes away all is forgiven with no punnishment or consiquence.

I hope seriously they elect a black Pope so all that unecessary bling bling can finally serve some purpose. Maybe we could send the pope mobile to west coast customs and have it totally pimped out!

[Image: Image4.jpg]

The pope is dead. - OB1 - 1st April 2005

Quote:As for John Paul , He scores points for opossing communism/Fascism and anti semitism or anything ending with a "ism" for that matter ,Scores points for being the first Pontiff to admit the mistakes and dark history of the church and requesting forgiveness.

Loses points for his soft overly permissive aproach to deal with molesting priests, The church lossed all credibility here when it failed to hand in known pediphiles among itself to proper authorities or the very least strip them of their priesthood , Repentense isnt a liscense to rape and sodomize little children just the same as murder , You cant just kill someone and then run to a confession stand bleed your heart out and it all goes away all is forgiven with no punnishment or consiquence.

Amazing, I agree with an ASM post.

Ironic!

Right?

The pope is dead. - OB1 - 1st April 2005

I guess...

I agree too.

The pope is dead. - EdenMaster - 1st April 2005

Monk: Welcome to the Benedictine Monk Variety Hour! We've got a great show for you today, with our special guest, the pope!

Pope: HAAAAIIIII-YAAAH!

*Pope smashes a block of ice with his head*

Crowd: JP! JP! JP!

The pope is dead. - Weltall - 1st April 2005

In a bit of semi-related news, Frank Purdue, who we all know from the Purdue chicken commercials of years past, died today. He's the same age as the Pope, 84.

It's kinda like how Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died the exact same day, and how that day happened to be July 4, and it happened to be in 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and the formal birth of our nation.

But not quite as cool.

The pope is dead. - Sacred Jellybean - 1st April 2005

EdenMaster Wrote:Monk: Welcome to the Benedictine Monk Variety Hour! We've got a great show for you today, with our special guest, the pope!

Pope: HAAAAIIIII-YAAAH!

*Pope smashes a block of ice with his head*

Crowd: JP! JP! JP!

Duke: *socks the pope in the shoulder and steals his hat* Hey John-Paul, where's George Ringo? *snicker*
Pope: I get so sick of that joke...

Quote:It's kinda like how Thomas Jefferson and John Adams both died the exact same day, and how that day happened to be July 4, and it happened to be in 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, and the formal birth of our nation.

Yeah, that's definitely one of the weirder cooincidences out there... they weren't the same age though. :)

A Black Falcon Wrote:Yeah, that's definitely one of the weirder cooincidences out there... they weren't the same age though. :)

Regardless of the age difference, the coincidence is eerie. In addition, James Monroe died on the 55th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration, but that's not as cool 'cause he didn't help found it and 55 isn't as awesome a number as 50.

If I wanted to be picky, though, I could say how July 4 was only the day chosen to represent it, it could as well have been July 3 (or maybe several others too), etc, but yeah... it is weird. :)

The pope is dead. - EdenMaster - 1st April 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:If I wanted to be picky, though, I could say how July 4 was only the day chosen to represent it, it could as well have been July 3 (or maybe several others too), etc, but yeah... it is weird. :)

Yeah, and we all know you're <i>never</i> picky Rolleyes

The pope is dead. - Geno - 2nd April 2005

While I am aware of that technicality, I tend to accept July 4th as the date of the signing even though it more than likely wasn't.

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 2nd April 2005

Who cares if it isn't? That's just the way it is and so you'll just have to deal with it!

Yup. That's just the date on which it has been accepted as being.

The pope is dead. - A Black Falcon - 2nd April 2005

Something happened on July 4th... but I don't think it was the final signing. But yeah, it doesn't really matter.

The pope is dead. - alien space marine - 2nd April 2005

It may come at no surprise but the pope is really dead now! Link

Lets give the traditional TC 21 BB gun Salute , So we can give him a proper send off into heaven dodging bullets.

The pope is dead. - UltraMarioMan - 2nd April 2005

The Pope wouldn't need to dodge bullets he could stop them Matrix style!

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 2nd April 2005

*as the camera pans up an image of the Pope is super-imposed against the sky while the song "Don't You Forget About Me" plays in the background*

The pope is dead. - Darunia - 2nd April 2005

Great Rumbler: Chuckle

It's sad when anyone dies, but I just can't feel THAT bad for him, being almost 85 as he was... I mean he spent much of his in a magnificent palace in Rome... and he was virtually worshipped as a demi-god by hundreds of millions of people. We should all be so lucky.

Fox News' top headline right now: Remembering Pope John Paul II's United States Visits. Go figure. Rolleyes

The pope is dead. - A Black Falcon - 2nd April 2005

Because the rest of the world doesn't matter!

Even when the top story isn't related to America, Fox News finds a way to make it so.

The pope is dead. - Weltall - 2nd April 2005

Well, as Americans, his visits to America do have more importance to us than to other nations, and it is an American news network doing the report...

He was the first really good Pope in basically forever. Rest in peace.

The pope is dead. - EdenMaster - 3rd April 2005

Darunia Wrote:It's sad when anyone dies, but I just can't feel THAT bad for him, being almost 85 as he was... I mean he spent much of his in a magnificent palace in Rome... and he was virtually worshipped as a demi-god by hundreds of millions of people. We should all be so lucky.

Not to mention his steady decline of health these last few years. I honestly thought he'd have died years ago. Not saying that to b mean, his health has been failing him. His last few months, he could barely muster the strength to stand or speak.

Nonetheless, now he has passed. What I hope doesn't happen is that Terry Schiavo's death overshadows the Popes. You may not think it possible, but do you remember when Mother Teresa died? She died about a week after Princess Diana, and that spoiled English brat got all the news coverage (not to mention they're still playing "secret tapes" shows. I mean she's dead, get over it!), while Teresa, who spent her entire life in the slums helping the less fortunate got next to no recognition. Truly sad, but such is life.

The pope is dead. - Weltall - 3rd April 2005

I don't think that will happen. In that case it was celebrity vs. celebrity, one rich, powerful and always in the news, doing important things like appearing at anti-landmine rallies, one old, physically unattractive, and who only did silly things like actually physically help people with no thought of her own gain.

Terri Schaivo has been news lately, but when Diana died, she was news for two decades and was an icon for people who worship princesses and stuff. The Schaivo story is new, and will pass. The Pope has nothing to worry about as far as competition goes.

You're probably right, but I sometimes wonder about the collective sanity of the American populace.

The pope is dead. - Geno - 3rd April 2005

Yeah, I doubt Schiavo will be covered more than the Pope. Schiavo was only a celebrity because of her condition. The Pope was a celebrity before that. Princess Diana and Mother Teresa were both celebrities before their deaths, but since Princess Di was younger and more attractive, people cared more about her death. I still see her on the cover of tabloids and magazines. People have been saying that she was murdered. Frankly, I don't care, she's dead and burried, let it go. Mother Teresa is rarely mentioned now, which is a shame. Her legacy should be the one being remembered to this day.

Geno Wrote:Yeah, I doubt Schiavo will be covered more than the Pope. Schiavo was only a celebrity because of her condition. The Pope was a celebrity before that. Princess Diana and Mother Teresa were both celebrities before their deaths, but since Princess Di was younger and more attractive, people cared more about her death. I still see her on the cover of tabloids and magazines. People have been saying that she was murdered. Frankly, I don't care, she's dead and burried, let it go. Mother Teresa is rarely mentioned now, which is a shame. Her legacy should be the one being remembered to this day.

My point exactly. Diana was a figurehead in England and nothing more. she was a pretty face who lived in luxury and (I'll admit) died tragically. But the idea that she got more news coverage (and still is) than Mother Teresa, who spent her life helping the less fortunate, boils my blood.

However, she wasn't overlooked completely. I believe they made her a saint after her death.

The pope is dead. - Geno - 3rd April 2005

Yeah, I think they did.

The pope is dead. - OB1 - 3rd April 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:*as the camera pans up an image of the Pope is super-imposed against the sky while the song "Don't You Forget About Me" plays in the background*

Haha, you've done that to just about everyone.

And I still want to make a video of that with Yamauchi's mug.

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 3rd April 2005

Quote:Haha, you've done that to just about everyone.

I know. :D

The pope is dead. - Dark Jaguar - 3rd April 2005

What, you think anti-landmine rallies are pointless? What, are you FOR landmines?!

I'm so sick of you people who are all like "I love landmines!"!

:D

Remember, the pope did a lot of things. He got up EVERY day to wear the pope hat!

Guy: Come on pope, wake up!

Pope: Just give me 5 more minutes...

Guy: Poooope

Pope: Alright... geez...

Guy: Don't forget your hat.

Pope: Eehhh, it's a stupid hat...

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 3rd April 2005

News person: And now the Pope's coffin is being carried to where he will be laid to rest.

*Benny Hill theme begins playing in the background*

Archbishop of Canterbury: Uh oh!

*everyone runs around*

They should really do that. I would be totally awesome. I'd watch it.

The pope is dead. - Weltall - 3rd April 2005

I don't think anti-landmine rallies are silly or pointless, but I don't think Diana did any real anti-landmine work. She merely showed up at the rallies, donated a token amount of money, and was declared a heroine. And by my standards of heroism, what she did for the anti-landmine cause didn't even begin to compare to what Mother Teresa did for the destitute in India. That is a gap of light-years. Mother Teresa was hands-on, she actually did the work herself. Diana showed up and donated a pittance. And of course, she got all the coverage when she died in the noble pursuit of evading journalists.

To note, Mother Teresa is not a saint, though there is a significant debate within the Catholic Church about her eligibility for sainthood. I, and many others, believe she is eligible due to spending her entire life helping her fellow man in ways most others could not dream of, but some would deny her because she never performed what is officially termed a 'miracle', one of those inexplicable acts of God.

The pope is dead. - Smoke - 6th April 2005

Just wait till she appears in somebody's bowl of cheerios.

The pope is dead. - EdenMaster - 6th April 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:News person: And now the Pope's coffin is being carried to where he will be laid to rest.

*Benny Hill theme begins playing in the background*

Archbishop of Canterbury: Uh oh!

*everyone runs around*

I swear, picturing that made me laugh out loud for like five minutes :D

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 6th April 2005

Those wacky Brits.

The pope is dead. - alien space marine - 6th April 2005

Ryan Wrote:I don't think anti-landmine rallies are silly or pointless, but I don't think Diana did any real anti-landmine work. She merely showed up at the rallies, donated a token amount of money, and was declared a heroine. And by my standards of heroism, what she did for the anti-landmine cause didn't even begin to compare to what Mother Teresa did for the destitute in India. That is a gap of light-years. Mother Teresa was hands-on, she actually did the work herself. Diana showed up and donated a pittance. And of course, she got all the coverage when she died in the noble pursuit of evading journalists.

To note, Mother Teresa is not a saint, though there is a significant debate within the Catholic Church about her eligibility for sainthood. I, and many others, believe she is eligible due to spending her entire life helping her fellow man in ways most others could not dream of, but some would deny her because she never performed what is officially termed a 'miracle', one of those inexplicable acts of God.

Yah I agree that Mother Teresa did probaily go the full lenght , But did you personally know Diana and how truly strongly she opposed land mines?It is said she became outraged after seeing pictures of african children severely maimed by them and went out to meet all of them and get pictures.

While I admit the anti land mine campaign has alot more people to thank down below , But without Diana and her popularity and strong advocation it probaily wouldnt have gone as far as it did , Her death only made the "anti land mine" campaign get even more publicity infact its still tied with her.

The point is lands mines can sit there for generations long after the war is over and the threat is gone,Britain still has land mines planted on its soil long after the Nazis have ceased to exists and the war is over. It just costs to to much or is to dangerous to disarm aged erroiding land mines.

They became and remain a threat to the local inhabaitance, 3rd world countries hurt the most because their internal conflicts were not lead by responsible "compassionate individuals" just planting bombs everywhere not marking it or giving a shit about the children who liver nearby.

The pope is dead. - N-Man - 6th April 2005

I predict the new Pope will be called Gregory XVII.

Or Yakra XIII, it's a tossup.

The pope is dead. - Great Rumbler - 6th April 2005

Or Semnat MCMXLVII.

What? It could be!

The pope is dead. - Weltall - 6th April 2005

alien space marine Wrote:Yah I agree that Mother Teresa did probaily go the full lenght , But did you personally know Diana and how truly strongly she opposed land mines?It is said she became outraged after seeing pictures of african children severely maimed by them and went out to meet all of them and get pictures.

While I admit the anti land mine campaign has alot more people to thank down below , But without Diana and her popularity and strong advocation it probaily wouldnt have gone as far as it did , Her death only made the "anti land mine" campaign get even more publicity infact its still tied with her.

The point is lands mines can sit there for generations long after the war is over and the threat is gone,Britain still has land mines planted on its soil long after the Nazis have ceased to exists and the war is over. It just costs to to much or is to dangerous to disarm aged erroiding land mines.

They became and remain a threat to the local inhabaitance, 3rd world countries hurt the most because their internal conflicts were not lead by responsible "compassionate individuals" just planting bombs everywhere not marking it or giving a shit about the children who liver nearby.

Okay, here's where I make my distinction. Diana was 'strongly opposed' to land mines (as opposed to those who are really in favor of them, I guess). Mother Teresa would be the type to actually go out there sweeping for mines and disabling them. Diana brought more attention to the problem of mines, but she didn't actually do anything herself to solve the problem. Mother Teresa didn't appear at press conferences in half-million dollar outfits, flash a smile and preach how much she was opposed to poverty, she dedicated her entire life to eradicating it and she did it with her own two hands.

Celebrities who endorse causes just piss me off, because it seems so shallow and insincere, and I get the distinct feeling they appear for these causes for the sake of exposing themselves. I was not moved by Diana's pleas, nor could I give a shit about Bono speaking out about world hunger or Susan Sarandon appealing to me to donate my money to eradicate poverty. They can all go fuck themselves.