Tendo City
[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: [GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! (/showthread.php?tid=2628)

Pages: 1 2

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Smoke - 23rd March 2005

MMO's and the like will of course have a fee. Actually I wouldn't mind an optional premium service in addition to the free one. Something like Xbox Live.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - OB1 - 23rd March 2005

Sony's online games are also free. With a few exceptions, just like on the PC (MMOs).

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2005

The thing about Gamespy is the lack of community -- Gamespy breaks it into many user-created servers, without some 'community' space (like the chatroom part of Battle.net)... sure, the B.Net chatrooms are full of idiots and adbots. But it's also a space to meet with people you know outside of games.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - N_A - 23rd March 2005

Well with the DS and pictochat, there might a potential for Nintendo to run and IRC channel for community. Besides, all these match making services run on some kind of IRC type protocol anyways, so its all possible to build community for Nintendo and still be free.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Great Rumbler - 23rd March 2005

Quote:But it's also a space to meet with people you know outside of games.

That's what Tendo City is for.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - A Black Falcon - 23rd March 2005

True, they could do something... they should. I've heard PS2 online games don't have a very good community system, though, while X-Box has a very good one... I was just hoping Nintendo community would be closer to B.Net than Gamespy (the PC matchmaking server-finder built into games, not Gamespy Arcade (the service with chatrooms, gamerooms, etc)).

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Smoke - 24th March 2005

Just because Gamespy is handling it doesn't mean it will be exactly like Gamespy on PC. I'm sure Nintendo has their own list of features they want implemented.

Also this makes this post finally true. Sorta.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Great Rumbler - 24th March 2005

Quote:Also this makes this post finally true. Sorta.

Huh.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2005

Web.archive.org, nice site... though it's always frusterating when they don't have the site (or the information on some site) that you want, when it's a site gone from the net now... (like the sites it doesn't have at all because they requested to not be on it)

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Smoke - 24th March 2005

Yeah it sucks that some sites don't let them archive them. But what is there is interesting. Like this and this.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - A Black Falcon - 24th March 2005

Huh... N64.com, IGN talks about it sometimes but I don't know if I went there back when that's what it was...

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - OB1 - 24th March 2005

Hahaha, poor Mapel Girl. No one listened to her.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Smoke - 25th March 2005

If only we had listened to Mapel Girl instead of calling her a lesbian.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Great Rumbler - 25th March 2005

When will we ever learn?!

*can't wait to play DS online*

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - OB1 - 25th March 2005

*can't wait to call Mapel Girl a lesbian*

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - N_A - 25th March 2005

The only question I do have is how the heck do you go about setting up the connection to a hotspot anyways. The hardware in the Nintendo DS seems to only have automatic connection via AdHoc connection as opposed to WiFi infrastructure connections in which you have to enter an SSID and a WEP password. I haven't had a chance to connect my DS to another DS to start and the instruction manual makes no mention of how to connect to hotspots.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - OB1 - 25th March 2005

Well that's because Nintendo only recently announced that they were going to do this.

Actually, Reggie basically announced it last E3, but then Nintendo said nothing about it until the GDC.

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - A Black Falcon - 25th March 2005

I guess they can put something on the game card to get it to connect to hotspots instead of other DSes...

[GDC] Revolution info! DS online info! Nintendo is going online, kids! - Great Rumbler - 25th March 2005

That likely what they'll do. Probably it'll be something that tells existing hardware to access the wireless network.