Tendo City
The price of gas in America - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: The price of gas in America (/showthread.php?tid=2617)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The price of gas in America - Great Rumbler - 8th March 2005

Okay, so everyone post their local gas prices in an effort to either (1) make us really jealous or (2) make us feel pity for you.

Around here it's about $1.94-$1.97

It doth suck mightily.

The price of gas in America - A Black Falcon - 8th March 2005

Maybe fewer people will buy SUVs.

The price of gas in America - OB1 - 8th March 2005

1.88 - 1.98 over here.

The price of gas in America - lazyfatbum - 8th March 2005

2.05, Ladies.

I decided to buy bourbon by the gallon, it's cheaper.

Damn. You're in Florida, right?

The price of gas in America - Great Rumbler - 8th March 2005

Quote:Maybe fewer people will buy SUVs.

You're not playing the game right, ABF!! But, yeah, maybe it will.

Uh... a week and a half ago (when we were on vacation for the weekend skiing), it was $1.95 in one town where we got it and then $1.85 in a town 20 minuites later...

But really, people don't react until it affects them. And the wallet is probably the most effective place. Look at anti-smoking stuff -- Advertising does something, as does restricting where you can smoke, but the biggest declines come when cigarette prices increase. When New York City dramatically increased cigarette prices a year or two ago (up to an average of $7 a pack) they cut smoking rates pretty significantly... 20, 30% I think...

The price of gas in America - Darunia - 8th March 2005

Best gas here is $1.89. Man I can't believe it's supposed to be $2.25 by springtime... I hope all you Bush-bashing, oil-hating liberals are happy now! Don't you WISH we'd gone to Iraq for oil now. Psf.

Sure, it's expensive, but most of the rest of the industrialized world pays a lot more... and as I said, higher prices are probably the only way to get people to actually change...

The price of gas in America - Weltall - 8th March 2005

Buck eighty-two here.

My car gets terrific gas milage. Last time I filled up, I paid $1.58. Gas prices don't bug me none.

Muh?? What the hell kind of car do you have?? Not even hybrids get that kind of mileage.

The price of gas in America - Fittisize - 8th March 2005

Usually around 80 cents/litre, sometimes climbs to 90 cents. In most other provinces it's over a dollar/litre.

The price of gas in America - Private Hudson - 9th March 2005

Prices range from about 80 - 99 cents/litre, depending on the day of the week..

The price of gas in America - Great Rumbler - 9th March 2005

Gas at the local filling station just rose to $1.99. Bleh. *let's start drilling in ANWR*

The price of gas in America - Darunia - 9th March 2005

What's the cheapest that anyone recalls gas ever being? For me, it's $1.57... I know it's been a lot cheaper than that, but I've only been paying attention since I started driving; and that's about it.

I remember sometime back when it used to be below a dollar. The reason I remember this is because I remember it going above a dollar and my parents thought that it was going way too high. Wow.

The price of gas in America - Geno - 9th March 2005

We sometimes have gas as low as $1.76. Usually, it's anywhere from $1.86 to $2.06. In a neighboring city, I saw gas for $1.62. That was like a blessing from God. If only it were closer to home. No point in using up gas in order to get gas cheaper, right?

The price of gas in America - A Black Falcon - 9th March 2005

It was a dollar a gallon in summer '98.

Back in the '40 is was a nickle a gallon.

No, that summer is was just really, really cheap... I remember it because that was the summer we went to England and gas was the equivilant of $4 a gallon there. :)

The price of gas in America - geoboy - 9th March 2005

Yeah, but back then a nickel could buy pretty much anything. It could even buy a quarter.

It could even buy a dollar! *begins drilling in ANWR*

The price of gas in America - geoboy - 9th March 2005

But nothing could ever out buy the Peppy GP piece.

The price of gas in America - Weltall - 9th March 2005

OB1 Wrote:Muh?? What the hell kind of car do you have?? Not even hybrids get that kind of mileage.

I have a car that goes back and forth to work and pretty much nowhere else. When your car gets mid 20's per gallon and you don't drive it much, you can stretch a tank a looooong way. I haven't filled up since right after Valentine's Day.

When our old Volvo broke some years back, it was 20 years old and had only 100,000 miles...

The price of gas in America - OB1 - 9th March 2005

I do not understand that at all. How far away is your work?

Eight miles, round trip. I drive a total of maybe sixty or seventy miles a week, I have a ten-gallon tank and my gas milage averages somewhere between 21 and 27 per gallon, so...

I still don't understand this sentence:

Quote:Last time I filled up, I paid $1.58.

You get 20-something miles to a gallon, so do I. But unless your tank only holds 8/10ths of a gallon, that sentence doesn't make sense.

OB1 Wrote:I still don't understand this sentence:
What that means, in essence, is that the last time I filled up, I paid one american dollar and fifty-eight american cents per gallon. Considering the context in which the sentence was written, and compared to other posts in this thread, I would have thought the idea that I was inferring was that the price I quoted was for a single gallon of gas, not for the total amount I paid.

Link

The price of gas in America - Sacred Jellybean - 9th March 2005

Nevermind.

$1.58/gallon?? I'm jealous. Around here in Philly, it's a little over 2 bucks wherever you go. I usually fill mine up in NJ, though, which is a little cheaper ($1.76-$1.86)

But you said that gas was $1.82 over there... No matter what kind of mileage you get, if gas is 1.82/gallon, it's 1.82/gallon. Just because you get more out of that gallon than some doesn't make the per-gallon cost any less.

It was $1.58, three weeks ago. Now it's in the mid $1.80's.

If that makes you jealous, you don't even want to know how much a less pack of smokes costs here, what with our third-lowest cigarette tax in America :D

Good grief, why didn't you just say that from the beginning?

And I don't smoke, so I don't care. :D

Beanjo does though :D

The cheapest I remember seeing since I started driving was right after 9/11, it got down as low as 77 cents. PER GALLON.

As far as cigarette prices go, the higher the better. Places with low cigarette prices and/or fewer laws restricting smoking are behind and don't care much about the health of their citizens.

I do, so I care. :( I'm trying to cut down and maybe even quit, though, so in a way, it's good that I live in a city that charges $4.50/pack.

Quote:As far as cigarette prices go, the higher the better. Places with low cigarette prices and/or fewer laws restricting smoking are behind and don't care much about the health of their citizens.

Let me tell ya a little something about the health of a community's citizens... if a certain group of people is addicted to tobacco, charging them through the nose is NOT the most humane way to get them to quit. For most smokers, it just cuts into our paychecks and makes us cry a half-hour longer each month when all the bills have to be paid. You jerk.

*evil time*

If you go to Sheetz, you can get a pack of Marlboros for $2.09 a pack, a carton for $19. If you go to one of the many cigarette wholesalers, you can get cartons of them for about $16.

We don't have enough crying smilies... so I guess these will have to do:

:crap: :bummed:

How much does lazy pay for a pack? He still smokes, doesn't he? How about big guy? As far as I know, we 3 are the only smokers on the board.

Hey, smoking is bad for you. Just thought I'd let you know.

Which is why I think it really SHOULD be illegal... bad with absolutely no good side effects and many bad ones, including major public health problems... it doesn't just hurt the person smoking, after all. ("I think smoking should be illegal" is of course my answer to those people who say "But marijuana is no worse than cigarettes...".)

I don't know about it being illegal.

The price of gas in America - EdenMaster - 9th March 2005

Feh. 2.04 last time I checked, and inching higher every day it seems...

IMO, drugs such as cannabis, tobacco, and alcohol shouldn't be illegal. All of these can be used in moderation for pleasant recreation, and all of them have potential to be abused. However, the government has no business playing big brother and stepping in to restrict the freedom of its constituents. Adults should be able to make their own mature decisions of what to do with their own minds and bodies. Period.

Even when it hurts others?

The price of gas in America - EdenMaster - 9th March 2005

Penn & Teller said it best on their show "Bullshit". It's your body, do what you want, just stay the fuck out of my house.

:D

When it hurts others, it IS time for the government to step in. Closed off and ventilated smoking sections should be in every restaurant and public building (ideally), drunk/high driving laws should be in place, etc. As the saying goes, "My freedom stops where my fist ends and your nose begins".

Quote:It's your body, do what you want, just stay the fuck out of my house.

Agreed.

The price of gas in America - Geno - 10th March 2005

*also agrees with SB and EM*