Tendo City
GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? (/showthread.php?tid=2601)

Pages: 1 2

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 28th February 2005

Quote:It has been revealed that Nintendo plan to show off the GBA2 at the next E3, which begins May 17th. The unit will apparently have a large high-quality back-lit screen, as well as analogue controls.

With the emergence of the GBA2 fans may be wondering, "what's the point of the DS?" Well apparently at E3 Nintendo will be showing off software that will make the DS more like a PDA.

According to Spong the new GBA2 will be based around the GameCube hardware, but that seems like a bit of a jump from the GBA. Still, more will be seen in May.

It should be noted that this news comes from Spong and as we all known they aren't exactly the most reliable site on the internet. I'm not exactly thrilled about this at it means that the DS will likely recieve less support than it would have otherwise, but on the flip side this could be an attemp by Nintendo to under-cut Sony's powerful PSP. I guess we'll know for sure at E3. I know I cant wait.

Cube-Europe

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - A Black Falcon - 28th February 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/02/28/news_6119320.html

Hmm... I wonder what, or if, will happen... real new system? Another redesign and improvement like the SP? Nothing this year? We should see something at E3...

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 28th February 2005

If they aren't reliable, why pay any attention to the article?

Anyway, I wonder what Nintendo is going to show at E3 anyway...

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - OB1 - 28th February 2005

Who wants to break out those old jokes about the GBA SP+, which features "added headphone support!!"?

Seriously, this is retarded. Both rumors make little sense. The one at gamespot/CNN suggest that the new system might just be a new $99 system that's just a little bit more powerful than the GBA, or simple a new, improved handheld that only plays GBA games, like the SP was. What's the point of that?? And the spong rumor is also dumb if true. Nintendo has yet to prove that the DS really does offer amazing new gameplay possibilities (even though it is possible to do some really cool things with the system), and releasing a new Gameboy system that plays GC-quality games would mean instant death for the DS. I'm talking a shorter lifespan than the Virtual Boy here. Before Nintendo even thinks about showing off another portable they need to prove to the gaming world that the DS will still be worthwhile even with the PSP and a new GB on the market, and the only way they can do that is by showing off a number of AAA titles that really show what can be done on the DS. Crappy analogue emulation is NOT going to cut it.

Oy. I hope Nintendo knows what they're doing...

Well... after reviewing my post here, the only thing that would actually make some sense is a GBA SP+, but only if it's like incredibly tiny or something. People love their tiny electronics. A smaller screen size would suck, but maybe they're thinking about how successful apple has been with their tiny ipod shuffles. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - A Black Falcon - 28th February 2005

Yeah, I'm just not sure about why they think they need a new GB now. A truly new system released one year after another one in the same market? Uh, that's really, really stupid and is a surefire way to kill one of them or the other off. Another GBA, with some added features? Kind of strange, but more understandable... they want to keep the GBA alive and a redesigned (and improved) system is a good way to do that. However, they should only do that if they actually have an addition that's worth the upgrade...

Though Nintendo has defied that logic before and had it succeed -- witness the huge popularity of 1995's Play It Loud GBs...

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - OB1 - 28th February 2005

What? I wasn't here in 1995...

You don't remember the Play It Loud Game Boys? The GB was going on six years old and had been fading for a few years. It needed something to reinvigorate it. So they tried new hardware: A brand-new line of ... colored Game Boys! Yes, now instead of Game Boy white/grey, you could get your GB in one of five great colors!

It was a big hit, of course. Looking back on it it's kind of dumb, but I thought they looked really cool in '95... there were also great ads in Nintendo Power, etc... my sister colored her GB red with a marker (it's still red, actually... permanant marker sticks well on plastic it seems.) because she wanted one of them but we already had GBs. :)

At least the GB Pocket changed SOMETHING...

I remember the new colors, but since I lived in Croatia I knew nothing about the marketing campaign.

I subscribed to Nintendo Power from early 1995 to early '97, you see... and they had other ads in gaming magazines and in stores and stuff. TV too, probably, but I didn't watch TV back then...

ok

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 28th February 2005

What was it like living in a 3rd world hell hole anyway?

Ya know the SP can play GB and GBC games too, not just GBA.

It was a growing process. :)

Croatia isn't a third-world country, just a poor one. It's not Nicaragua. And even though it was tough, some of my best memories are from that place. And I got to travel all throughout Europe, experiences that I will never forget.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 28th February 2005

I'd really like to travel across Europe sometimes, it's got a timeless quality about it that I really like. All the old castles and the old cities, especially the ones up the moutains. It'd be great to go there at least once, no question about that.

I'd like to visit Africa some time... except there's the fact that every single piece of floura and fauna want to EAT MY BONES, so then I just stay home.

Yeah, Eastern Europe was second world, not third. There's a big difference.

But OB1, remember DJ speaks out of ignorance... last I remember, she's never even been in a plane, much less to Europe...

....it's a joke... A quote from AQHF actually. Also, what does being on a plane have to do with what I know about a place?

If you haven't been somewhere you know less about it.

I flew on a place to NYC once. *experience*

So you know what it's like to be on a plane. :) But not to be in a foreign country, I bet...

Well, not exactly, but I did officially leave US soil when I visited the UN.

I'm going to be a world-traveller when I'm on my own, for now though discovering America is taking up all my time. :)

Actually, that's not entirely true. Actually being physically in a location is POTENTIAL to gain more knowledge, but often times I'll find plenty of people come back from vacation and tours knowing less about the place they just went than I do, and some of the stuff they learned on the tour was outright false. Someone could easily know far more about a place just sitting in Harvard's library than someone who's been there, even for a year. The reverse could also be true, but presense in a location does not mean knowledge. Actually going about learning from reliable sources indicates knowledge.

That said, I know nothing about Croatia :D.

Yeah, but reading about places is nowhere near as great as actually going to those places. I always knew that NYC was an amazing city, but it wasn't until I actually visited it myself and saw it with my own eyes that I discovered just how huge it was and how much there was to it.

But there's a difference between just facts and actually experiencing a place... sure, if you go somewhere and don't care and learn nothing it would be diffrent, but that's not how I am when I go somewhere and, I'd guess, not how OB1 is either...

I have been to Croatia (as I've said multiple times before). Not for long, true, but I was there, and more importantly in several countries that border it...

In the last few years I'd forgotten how nice it was to travel, after we didn't have much in the way of vacations after England in summer '98... so it was no surprise that the week in Denmark in summer ... '03? Yeah, I think it was '03... was so great...

But of course when it comes to how fun an experience is going there is best I would assume. However, you weren't talking about anything emotional, you were calling me out on information for a spurious reason. I had to at least point out the lack of logic, having nothing else to defend myself with.

The only thing I can add is I really have no interest in Croatia either. I have no need to learn more about them either. I'll stick with places that take my interest, that is, unless you can offer something that will get me interested in that country? Maybe?

Quote:Some remote areas of Croatia, even though safe and welcoming, remain uncleared of landmines. These include the Danube region in eastern Slavonia and Krajina. It is unwise to stray into fields or abandoned villages.

And that's just one reason I don't have great interest in going to such places. That goes for other countries in post war conditions where the landmines haven't all been cleared. My curiosity is heavily curbed by my desire to not be in two places at once... I mean literally.

Don't worry, I'm aware that the people of that country don't like live IN mine fields or anything and sticking in the populated areas would allow me to avoid it, but generally when I go exploring I don't plan on hanging around the people, but rather the places of historical coolness.

Countries I'd liked to eventually visit: Japan, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, South Korea, and...oh what the heck. *throws in Spain too*

I lived in Croatia during the war and was never in any real danger. Sure there are some places that haven't been totally cleared of landmines, but we're not talking about random fields in Central Park. :) I've been all over Croatia but never once saw a landmine field. You'd have to go out of your way to find danger like that, and to tell you the truth living in Croatia during a war is a hundred times safer than living in any major U.S. city right now. And that's not an exagerration. Compare murder numbers in even Denver with civilian casualties in Croatia while I lived there and there would be no comparison.

That having been said, there's nothing all that interesting about Croatia other than the gorgeous coastal regions. Their culture is boring and their artistic endeavors leave much to be desired IMO. But man... some of the best vacation spots in the world. I lived fifteen minutes from Optajia, which is also my mom's home town:

[Image: jpeg%20velika%20(750,550).jpg]
[Image: opatija2.jpg]

Gorgeous place. And that's not even the nicest town there. So yeah, Croatia is a very nice place to visit. But I'd suggest seeing Barcelona and Vienna first if you're visiting Europe. :D

Those are some nice looking locations.

I'd like to do that comparison. Give me the very stats you yourself checked when confirming this! Please? Anyway, one other thing to consider is the size of the populations we are talking about here. I'll consider the danger as a function of percentage rather than totals.

Hey I said that you need to look up the stats, not me. I lived there for four years so I'm pretty sure how safe it was. ;) Murders are almost non-existent there, burglaries are for the most part a foreign concept in the places where I lived (near the capital Zagreb, and Opatija), and there's no such thing as home or car security. Not like it exists in the U.S., anyhow. Heck I live in a relatively small college town right now and my car got broken into just five months after I bought it, right in front of my friggin house under a bright lamp post. Craziness. There's far more for me to worry about in this little college town than we ever had to in the places where we lived in Croatia.

Now that's not going to account for the entire country at that time, but you were either poorer than poor or insane to live near certain places in Croatia. Most of the civilian casualties happened before we moved there when the war was especially bad, and even then the main danger was in Bosnia. As long as you stayed away from the eastern-most and southern-most part of the country, you were safer than you'd be in any major U.S. city.

Well I just don't know where to look up the stats. I just assumed I'd save some time if you provided me with that info instead. I mean, I'm just asking for a link like I would when anyone else tells me some info they looked up without posting the link. Just a request is all, so can ya?

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - lazyfatbum - 28th February 2005

dude that fucking pisses me off, hey krap on this. I gotta DS and it's neato and it's backwards compatible with my GBA and it's basically a N64 1.5 or even 2.0... so that's all I need for now.

Now, if it plays Gamecube games then hell yeah i'll buy it but otherwise I dont need another system that plays a completely new type of format.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 1st March 2005

lazy, keep in mind the very first thing he said, it's from an unreliable news source. That translates to this being about as trustworthy as though some total stranger told it to you at random without any evidence. I wouldn't commit any emotions to it, or even memory.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Nick Burns - 1st March 2005

But it still doesn't rule it out. Are you guys forgetting that Nintendo said that the DS will not replace the Gameboy line? I do however find it hard to believe that they'd be releasing it so close to the DS's debut.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 1st March 2005

This is where I'd like to travel to:

[Image: Venice%20canal%20gondola%204.JPG]

[Image: Venice%20canal.jpg]

[Image: campanile_view_venice.jpg]

[Image: venice(05-31-03)%20032.jpg]

Venice!

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - A Black Falcon - 1st March 2005

I've been to Venice... yeah, it's a nice place. :)

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 1st March 2005

Yeah Nick it doesn't rule it out, but they are the ones making the claim, not us, so it is THEIR duty to provide evidence, not ours to prove them wrong.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 1st March 2005

By the way, I posted it because it was relevant. Also, the fact that Spong isn't always the most reliable website out there doesn't mean that this isn't true.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - OB1 - 1st March 2005

Quote:[Well I just don't know where to look up the stats. I just assumed I'd save some time if you provided me with that info instead. I mean, I'm just asking for a link like I would when anyone else tells me some info they looked up without posting the link. Just a request is all, so can ya?

You could get some stats from the War Crimes Tribunal at the Haage, but I don't know if their documents are available online. My sister worked there for a few years and had to translate Croatian documents like civilian war casualties and the like into English, so that's where I got my info from. Well, and living there, of course.

I see, so the documentation wasn't something you read online. Oh well, I'll check it out later if I ever find an online source, though I won't really be seeking it.

GR, it would seem their accuracy depends on pure luck, like MAYBE reality will match up with what they are saying. That sort of logic really doesn't sit well. I mean, unless you are putting this forward as a "what if" scenario, then honeslty I see no point in what amounts to monkeys sitting at typewriters.

Just thought people might like to read it.

Well if that's all, then I forgive you.

GR: .... what just happened?

GR: *does that thing where the entire universe becomes inverted and several large galaxie implode in a vast shifting of sub-space particles through the eye of a needle*

DJ: ...what just happened?

GR: I did something really cool.

Did you summon Eden from Final Fantasy 8? Where'd I go just now?

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 2nd March 2005

If that's what I did you would have known, you were briefly thrown the 29th dimension, which is the one where you're a barber and your uncle Phillip lives at your house and he always says that should have been a tailor instead of a barber...and you have the ability to alter time-space fragments resulting in interstellar rifts in the very fabric of the universe.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 2nd March 2005

And I totally missed my chance to do anything you say?

Nuts...

Is it true if someone made me say my name backwards then Superman wins?

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - OB1 - 2nd March 2005

Kltpzyzm!

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Great Rumbler - 2nd March 2005

Quote:And I totally missed my chance to do anything you say?

I'm afraid so. You could have become The Grand Ruler of the Infinite Reaches, but...not anymore.

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - N_A - 3rd March 2005

Nintendo is pursuing their 3 Pillar's strategy. If there is any truth in this statement, it would only be part of Nintendo's plan. Question is what can they do with the GBA to make it unique enough to stand aside from the DS other than the fact that it might be a super advanced system similar to the PSP in terms of technology.

Hehe, maybe the DS will hook up with the GBA and you'll get a 3 screen hand held experience ! LOL

GBA2 to be unveiled at E3. Why exactly did I spend $150 on the DS? - Dark Jaguar - 3rd March 2005

Rough around the edges, but you just told a joke! You should pat yourself on the back of your very own pat.