Tendo City
Star Fox Assault - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Star Fox Assault (/showthread.php?tid=2585)

Star Fox Assault - EdenMaster - 23rd February 2005

I know there's a thread about it already but...yeah.

I'm glad I didn't listen to the reviews that touted this game so poorly. I've played through most of the missions (I have yet to only beat the final mission), and I can say with absolute conviction that this game is even better than Starfox64, and I loved SF64. The Arwing bits are wonderfully executed and the controls are seamless. The Landmaster is a powerful little guy capable of massive destruction on the ground. I will say that the on-foot bits aren't the shining jewel of the game, but they're by no means bad, either. The mix of all three types of play make for a great experience.

I've tried a little multiplayer, and even with splitscreen, everything is easy to see and all the important info in your GUI is right at hand with needing shrunk to fit your half of the screen.

I was anticipating bad voice acting, but I've been pleasantly proven wrong. ROBs voice goes a little over-the-top computery, but everyone else's voices sound great. General Pepper sounds gruff and forceful, Peppy sounds aged yet wise, and Slippy, well, Slippy just has his own kind of sound. It's all very similar to previous voices too.

That just leaves the story. Kind of a lame Borg invasion premise, but I suppose it's better than "OMG Andross again!!!11"

So that is my impression of the game. If you've played it, give yours as well, and if not, I'd recommend picking it up.

Star Fox Assault - Sacred Jellybean - 25th February 2005

Awesome! It's refreshing to read a good review of this game. :) I might consider picking it up. Playing through levels where you get out of the Arwing and continue on foot or in a tank sounds killer. Maybe I'll buy this baby once the price goes down a tad.

By the way, does SF: Assault make it any clearer as to what gender Slippy belongs to? I swear, that frog is like the Pat of video games. Its gender is almost as unclear as DJ's is... well, was.

Star Fox Assault - Dark Jaguar - 25th February 2005

I thought it was a given Slippy was male. I mean the only time I ever found anyone who questioned it even the least is in that vgcats comic. Don't tell me that has hijacked control of everyone's opinion.

Also, I do believe the instruction booklets' bios on him refers to him as male.

Yep, SF64 booklet...

Quote:Slippy Toad: He's...

The FIRST WORD, I didn't have to go further.

Well, I guess that settles that.

Star Fox Assault - lazyfatbum - 25th February 2005

Fuck SF: ASSault. I STILL cant choose what pilot I want to be, you ALWAYS have to be Fox. I like Fox, he's a cool character in a Toby Maguire/Tom Cruise kinda way but fuck, I want to play as Falco because... because he's Falco, and he gets treated like the Luigi of the bunch. Yes, we all love Fox but give Falco a turn. Falco is the BETTER PILOT, hello!? Dammit to hell, I'd punch Namco right in the shit if given half the chance.

The game is awesome though, it has its weaknesses. No Landmaster missions on rails, only in free range. No Submarine and a total lack of multiple branches as in the last two games which added so much replay value since it allowed you to basically mix and match your levels of choice.

Slippy invented the Submarine that was used in one mission in SF64 and is the core engineer of the bunch. And I think it was Peppy that invented the Landmaster and he's cheif of defenses. Falco and Fox both put their heads together to create the Arwing which was based off a Cornerian fighter, and they're both the pack leaders; Falco being Fox's 'Number 1' but what does Krystal do?

"Such strange thought patterns.... *giant breasts*"

"Sauria! oh no! *loin cloth flickers in shock*"

"Fox! Look out! *British accent explodes!*"

Panther: Rowr, Krystal... beautiful flower in all the spaces with stars, I think I going to 'splode with passion on my cocking pit *makes funny mexican sounds*

Krystal: I only want Fox! *wiggles beads and gets shot*

I mean come ON! Where's her staff!? Why is she on the Starfox team!? when did her kitty titties expand!? (is that some kind of reaction to being in space?) how did she learn to pilot an Arwing so quickly!? why doesn't she have any friends to help Starfox team!? WHAT IS THE POINT!??!1?!

Fucking bullshit. That's what it is.

Remember Kat? why cant she be a part of the team? ATLEAST SHE'S A PILOT!

Star Fox Assault - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2005

Quote:Remember Kat? why cant she be a part of the team? ATLEAST SHE'S A PILOT!

I thought the same thing when I heard Krystal was being put on the team... 'Why not Kat?'

Well Krystal is the only one who can pilot a dragon :D....

Not sure how that translates to arwing control but...

Anyway, Falco THOUGHT he was the better pilot of the two. Fox was under his wing during the first game (first storyline anyway) but by the end Fox became his superior, even if Falco won't admit it.

Star Fox Assault - OB1 - 25th February 2005

I can't believe you guys followed the plot of the games... :p

When the plot is barely there I would have to be retarded to not see what the story is by just playing them.

I always ignored the stories.

Then... *dramatic pause* WHAT ARE YOU FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOR!?

Gold? POWER? Or were you just born with a heart full of NEUTRALITY?

I'm fighting for FUN!

The story was very thin, but I liked the voiced briefings and stuff in SF64...

Yeah, Starfox 64 having full voice acting really added to the mood, and made the game more playable actually. I mean, when you are shooting everything in sight you don't want to have to take a second to focus your eyes on some text. Better to leave the conversations to some other less distracted sense.

Yeah. And it was better than no story at all, I'd say.

Sure, but it was the equivalent of background music for me. Certainly adds to the experience, but I'm not paying any real attention to it.

Here's a question: do your teammates bug you for help every 5 seconds when you're trying to battle with Star Wolf and his team of hooligans? And if so, when you finally kill their enemy counter-part FOR them (wussies), do they eventually f**king reciprocate and help you out, too, instead of acting like a bunch of whiney ingrates?

Star Fox Assault - EdenMaster - 25th February 2005

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Here's a question: do your teammates bug you for help every 5 seconds when you're trying to battle with Star Wolf and his team of hooligans? And if so, when you finally kill their enemy counter-part FOR them (wussies), do they eventually f**king reciprocate and help you out, too, instead of acting like a bunch of whiney ingrates?

They don't ask you for help AS MUCH, but they still do. It can be annoying though when they call for your help when you're on foot! Friggen Falco is already up there, ASK HIM!

And no, they don't come help you out, they'll just give you a bomb or sheild or wing fixer. It's kind of sad just how little your allies do. Falco, Krystal, and Slippy might shoot down MAYBE two ships apiece, and they're even more useless when they're on foot with you.

Alas, the game is flawed, but the same can be said for 99% of all games.

Argh, that stinks. Well, I suppose I'll be getting this game eventually... it DOES sound like an assload of fun. It's just a shame that the AI of your team mates isn't improved. Rolleyes

Star Fox Assault - lazyfatbum - 26th February 2005

Starfox Assault was designed from the ground up to be a multiplayer game. The one player missions are there, but they aint as cool as SF64's.

Slippy needs help in the first 5 seconds of the game, but like Eden said, if you save them they give you upgrades and neat things.

I really like the script of the game. There are some genuinely funny scenes and some sad ones too all the while keeping that overcocked pilot mentality. It's well done. Sometimes the pilots get in to arguments, Falco goes off on Slippy always needing help and Slippy unloads on him: "Shut up, Falco! I just let my guard down, get off my back!" Stuff like that in the heat of battle is awesome, it's radio banter and it adds to the whole experience. I just wish the level design, in my opinion, was more conducive in comparison to SF64. The whole 'Here's the Lylat system and here's what planet you're on' interface is gone and it's sorely missed, I think.

Star Fox Assault - OB1 - 28th February 2005

I know that the multiplayer was shown to the public first, so how does it compare to the sp?

Star Fox Assault - Geno - 28th February 2005

Still gotta get this game... I get a paycheck tomorrow. I don't have Minish Cap, but I'll be getting it for my birthday (I already know in advance) so I'll wait.

Star Fox Assault - A Black Falcon - 28th February 2005

I'll probably wait until I see a copy for $20 to $25... it doesn't seem like it's worth much more than that.

I often wait up to a year before I buy a game. I may rent it a few times before then though.

I don't end up getting every game I want to get and often get games that are years old...

I've had Paper Mario for about four months, even though it's been out for four years. So yeah, I sometimes wait more than a year.

Star Fox Assault - EdenMaster - 28th February 2005

Usually if I want a game, I go buy it. If I have to put away part of the cost from a paycheck or two in advance, then I will. That's probably why my collection is currently outgrowing my shelf :D

I don't have much in the way of income so I couldn't buy all the new games I wanted even if I tried... so I get more cheaper games and/or older games I missed, as well as a few new ones. It works well, as long as I don't mind not having games right after they come out (that is, within a week or two of launch)... which, in almost all cases, I don't.

The exceptions? Blizzard RTSes. :) And Guild Wars, though that isn't out yet...

Star Fox Assault - Dark Jaguar - 28th February 2005

Well if you, or me for that matter, were to buy all the games we wanted right now, it would cost like... I dunno... several thousand dollars? Certainly not something to be thrown away on games when it could be used on more important things. Generally I limit myself to spending about 10% of my money on mere entertainment, so my library isn't exactly expansive, but I do generally get the super ultra games at least.

Of course if I managed to become a bajillionaire, then that little limitation would still allow for me getting English and Japanese copies of every single game I could ever want (even ones that aren't in English or Japanese... yet :D).

Hence, I need a way to get rich... quickly in fact... perhaps a scheme of some sort...

Star Fox Assault - OB1 - 28th February 2005

Not everyone wants tons of games though. I can afford whatever game I want usually, but that's because I don't want that many games.

Star Fox Assault - A Black Falcon - 1st March 2005

Hmm, become a billionaire... sounds good...

Star Fox Assault - Dark Jaguar - 1st March 2005

I suggest something involing a llama ranch!

Star Fox Assault - OB1 - 1st March 2005

Do they sell llama meat anywhere in this country?

Meat?! I was thinking a scheme involving something like a circus... But now that you mention it, we'd be like pioneering a new meat trade... at least here.

Star Fox Assault - Geno - 1st March 2005

I'm trying my damnedest not to spend money when I don't have to. I rarely buy anything besides food anymore. I'm saving my money so that I can pay my mom back for my cell phone bill. I'm lucky to pull $100 a week though, and it somehow disappears quickly. Even if I try to go an entire week buying nothing but food, something always comes up that makes me have to spend more money. (I.e. If I'm almost out of gas.)

Star Fox Assault - Great Rumbler - 1st March 2005

I make somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 a week, about $15 of which pays my weekly gas bill, the rest of it I spend foolishly on whatever happens to catch my eye during my weekly trip to "The Town". I'm terrible at saving money, I'll freely admit it, but I almost never spend more money than I have on me, so I guess that's something.

Almost?

Star Fox Assault - Great Rumbler - 1st March 2005

Well, sometimes I need just a few dollars more to get something I want or happen to have no money and see something that I have to get at that very moment or I'll die a death more horrible than that of a thousand serpents I'll ask someone who has money to let me borrow some for a while.

Oh, a MOOCHER! Yeah I know those! :D

Naw it's all good, so long as you pay your friends BACK at least... :scowl:

Star Fox Assault - Great Rumbler - 2nd March 2005

I always pay back any money I borrow, besides I don't do it very often. :p