Tendo City
Boss strategies... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Boss strategies... (/showthread.php?tid=2581)

Boss strategies... - Dark Jaguar - 22nd February 2005

This is the thread to discuss boss strategies we've all developed for various games. Just bring up a boss and if someone else has their own strat post that too. We'll vote every now and then on what seems most effective.

Okay, I'll start. In Zelda 2, I have found the best method for taking on Shadow Link at the end of the game to be jumping towards him, slowing down my forward momentum just a bit so he backs up a bit too much, then if he lowers his shield just before I land I slice him in the head. Back off a bit, then repeat over and over until the old man gives you the triforce of courage. I think it's pretty effective when I can pull it off right. I seem to require a certain level of "mojo" to do this though. This method actually works very well on all the iron knuckles in the game.

In Zelda 1, the Dark Nuts are sorta tough for me. It's odd, they just keep MOVING and never stop, so sometimes it's easy to beat one and sometimes they can really get you cornered. My strategy, in the rooms set up for it, is usually to stand behind some structure and wait for them to walk towards the space I'm aiming at. I then attack before they can turn to face me. I then repeat this. The problems with this is the rooms that have nothing but 4 walls, where I simply have to duck and move, and when dark nuts are coming from both sides of the object I'm hiding behind.

In Mario Bros., my strat to run past hammer tossing Bowser has involved waitng for the only moment I can make a sure fire jump, which is usually when he fires a fire bolt at the same time he throws the hammer barrage JUST as he's starting to jump again. I can then jump over the fire, through the hammer gap, and dash under the then jumping Bowser to get by him. The major problem is that I do need to wait for this perfect timing of his attacks to occur. Otherwise, if by chance I'm there with low time, I sorta randomly dive through it and get lucky.

Boss strategies... - OB1 - 22nd February 2005

In MGS3, beating The End is super easy if you follow these simple directions:

1) Shoot a loud gun into any random direction to force The End to reveal his current position. Be careful, though, because he will shoot you if you are not careful.

2) Quickly equip the thermal goggles and follow his footsteps to his next position, remaining close enough behind him but not too close or too far.

3) If you're close enough, shoot him with your tranq gun.

4) Repeat until his stamina is gone, and now you have his camo!

Or...

1) Save during the battle.

2) Turn off system and come back in a week.

3) Now he is dead.

Boss strategies... - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd February 2005

Quote:Okay, I'll start. In Zelda 2, I have found the best method for taking on Shadow Link at the end of the game to be jumping towards him, slowing down my forward momentum just a bit so he backs up a bit too much, then if he lowers his shield just before I land I slice him in the head. Back off a bit, then repeat over and over until the old man gives you the triforce of courage. I think it's pretty effective when I can pull it off right. I seem to require a certain level of "mojo" to do this though. This method actually works very well on all the iron knuckles in the game.

Eeh-gad! That sounds difficult. I've never played through Zelda numero dos. Although I think the idea of a Zelda side-scroller is a good one, the most experience I have with this game is watching my cousin play as a kid, and trying as hard as I can to stifle giggles every time he got frustrated enough to throw a tantrum. :D Aside from that, actually, I've been trying to get into it via an emulator, but playing a sidescroller on a keyboard just isn't as easy and intuitive as with a controller (obviously). I really need to buy a game pad one of these days. Either that, or I might look into emulating the game on DC.

Anyways, I've encountered those colored nights enough times to know that they're a pain-in-the-ass... and now, you're saying I'll have to eventually fight a Dark Link?! Oi, I'm gonna get slaughtered. I better put this game on hold until I get a PC gamepad.

Quote:Dark Nuts

I wasn't sure what you meant by them, but then I went and looked it up. Those are the orange knights? Yeah, they can be quite pesky. If I have full energy, I'll just avoid the suckers at all cost and try to hit them with my beam sword from across the room, but otherwise, I try to charge them while their back/side is turned, slash, run away, rinse and repeat.

Quote:1) Save during the battle.

2) Turn off system and come back in a week.

3) Now he is dead.

Chuckle Are you serious? That's an actual glitch?

Quote: Are you serious? That's an actual glitch?

I'm serious, but it's not a glitch. There's a lot of time-sensitive stuff in the game. All of your non-preserved food will rot in real-time, for instance. Kojima is brilliant/weird like that.

Boss strategies... - Great Rumbler - 22nd February 2005

In Resident Evil 4 the best weapon to fight El Gigante with is the TMP, it doesn't have a lot of power but you can hit him multiple times. Believe it works way better than any of the other conventional weapons.

Boss strategies... - Sacred Jellybean - 22nd February 2005

Quote:I'm serious, but it's not a glitch. There's a lot of time-sensitive stuff in the game. All of your non-preserved food will rot in real-time, for instance. Kojima is brilliant/weird like that.

That sounds like a pain in the ass... although, at least you could always adjust the time on your PS2 if you don't like that kind of commitment. So if The End dies without a week of food/water, doesn't Snake die, too?

No, because The End is almost dead anyhow. Snake will be really hungry after a long play absense, however. Some people may find it annoying, but I thought it was very cool.

Boss strategies... - A Black Falcon - 22nd February 2005

I recommend health-degeneration skills, since bosses aren't going to die really fast they're especially useful on them... :)

Hmm... if you're an Elementalist, and they're a melee boss, cast Armor of Earth? Won't they be surprised when you can fight at close range and use those melee-range skills... :D

Diablo II: invest in a rubber band and some Rube Goldberg-style invention that clicks the mouse button faster than the human brain can manage it.

Boss strategies... - N_A - 23rd February 2005

Actually, by far the easiest way to hit Shadow Link in Zelda 2 is to first cast Sheild... and if I remember correctly, theres a spell to enhance your strength, then worry about blocking his hits. After about half a minute, often he will try to jump over you to get behind you and attack you on the otherside. When he jumps, his legs are wide open, and its by far the easiest time to strike him as he is in air going up from his jump. A sure fire way without having to rely on the chance of him missing with his shield. There isn't any "mojo" involved here, just an understanding of his weakness, like any other boss in any game.

Boss strategies... - Weltall - 23rd February 2005

I would have to say my favorite boss strategy comes from Silent Hill 1.

Final Boss: Incubus. (Note: This only works if you find the red liquid in the motorcycle gas tank, making the Incubus appear. If The Mother appears, this trick will not work).

All you have to do is, before you enter the final room... waste all of your bullets. Every last one, for every gun. Incubus is a flying enemy, and you cannot touch him with any melee weapons. If at any time during the battle you have zero bullets, Incubus dies and you automatically win the game.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Boss strategies... - Dark Jaguar - 23rd February 2005

N_A, I didn't literally mean I have to use magic. Oh yeah, I forgot to add I always cast shield. A warning: DO NOT cast jump. You'll regret it.

Attacking when he's in the air... I should try that.

Weltall: Seriously? What's with Konami and stuff like that? Oh and, when I beat the game, isn't there some sort of ending movie and the ability to make some extra save file? The game just stops when the credits are done rolling. Is it supposed to do that?

Boss strategies... - Weltall - 23rd February 2005

Getting an ending movie depends on the ending you get.

But you should always have the option of making a Next Fear save.

Boss strategies... - EdenMaster - 24th February 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:In Resident Evil 4 the best weapon to fight El Gigante with is the TMP, it doesn't have a lot of power but you can hit him multiple times. Believe it works way better than any of the other conventional weapons.

I found a pretty good way to put Salazar in his place too. When that eye thing is showing, get as close as you can to it on the ledge and give it some shotgun love. Two or three blasts oughta send it whimpering away, revealing Salazar behind his armor. Now, whip out your TMP. I don't know how upgraded yours might be, but mine did plenty well. The second his shell opens, unload every TMP bullet you have into him. The bullets don't do much damage individually, granted, but the sheer number of them adds up quick. I was shocked how quickly he died doing this. I didn't even need to use one of the pantload of First-Aid Sprays the game supplied me with before the fight.

Let's see...what else...ah, I know. Fighting Yunalesca in Final Fantasy X. She's one of the harder bosses, but I've fought her so many damn times I've got her down to a system. First off, bring in Auron, since he's probably capable of doing the most damage. Have him guard or heal someone. Next, bring in Yuna and have her cast Reflect on Auron. If someone else has a turn, consider bringing Tidus in to cast Cheer to give that little extra bit of attack damage. Now, use Auron to smash Yunalescas first form. She'll try to blind him with every attack he strikes, but no fear, it gets Reflected right back ;). You may also want to bring in Kimahri or Wakka and Reflect them as well to wear down Yunalescas first form. She will absorb half of the total HP of the character with the highest HP remaining. This will probably be Auron, so be ready with a Potion to heal him if you need to (Don't use magic! Reflect!). After this, Yunalesca changes into her second form. Immediately use Yuna to dispel Auron's Reflect (and anyone elses as well). Yunalesca will begin this stage by attacking with Hellbiter, which will afflict all three party members with Zombie. DO NOT HEAL THE ZOMBIE STATUS. You'll simply have to bear with the healing spells she'll attack you with and the ever-annoying Regen. Dispel it quickly and be on your way. The reason for this is a good one. She also unleashes an attack called Mega Death. Mega Death will instantly kill any party member that is NOT a zombie. Thus, if you're all zombified, you get off scot-free, if none of them are, it's game over. If you're feeling risky, bring in Rikku and steal from Yunalesca. You should swipe a Stamina Tablet. Remove Auron's Zombie and use the Tablet on him, and then fully heal him. This should launch Auron's HP to it's 9999 cap. If you're lucky, Yunalesca will cast Hellbiter again and you'll have a safe-from-Death Auron with sky-high HP. Wear her down with overdrives and if you have any Aeons in overdrive, use them. You only get one shot, because Yunalesca destroys Aeons quickly. Her third form isn't much more devastating. It does unveil a nasty new attack: Mind Blast. Mind Blast inflicts confusion on the party, so try to outfit them with some armor with Confuse Ward or, better yet, Confuseproof. That's the only real new thing to worry about, so just smash her to pieces with your strong characters from here on in. Bring Rikku in before you finish her and see if you can grab any more of the very useful Stamina Tablets. Congratulations, you beat Yunalesca!

Wow, that was really long, huh?

Boss strategies... - Dark Jaguar - 24th February 2005

Nope Weltall, when I beat it I just get a blank screen after the credits and the controller does nothing. Maybe the disk is scratched?

Boss strategies... - Undertow - 24th February 2005

OB1 Wrote:I'm serious, but it's not a glitch. There's a lot of time-sensitive stuff in the game. All of your non-preserved food will rot in real-time, for instance. Kojima is brilliant/weird like that.

Well, crap, all the food I've gathered must be moldy and moggoty by now since it's been a month from when I played last. RE4 has had my full attention since I've bought it. Heh.

There's a much easier way than actually waiting. Adjust the system clock on the PS2 to suit your needs :D.

Boss strategies... - OB1 - 24th February 2005

Ah, but if you do that things get messed up, or so I heard. Supposed to erase your save. Or so I heard... I wonder if that's actually true...

That could only be the case if, for example, you later revert the system clock and thus the game could be programmed to see the last logoff date was AFTER the current time. If you never allow that to happen, you're golden.

Boss strategies... - OB1 - 24th February 2005

I don't even know if the whole thing is true or not.

Boss strategies... - Sacred Jellybean - 26th February 2005

Hey, while we're on the subject on Zelda II, can anyone tell me what the glove is for? I got it in a dungeon and I have no idea what it does.

Boss strategies... - Great Rumbler - 26th February 2005

[Image: glove.jpg]

?

I WISH! But no.

Boss strategies... - OB1 - 26th February 2005

AH...

This:

[Image: chs-glove.jpg]

I KNEW IT!! My head will no longer go cold at night! Wheee!

Boss strategies... - OB1 - 26th February 2005

I'm always here to help.

Boss strategies... - Dark Jaguar - 26th February 2005

Okay, apparently you don't have the instruction manual...

No problem, I'll tell ya. First off, that first pic is accurate. It is actually called the Power Glove :D.

Second off, the Power Glove gives you the strength to destroy the various blocks you find around the dungeon. Hit them with your sword and they will disintegrate. That's a chunk of strength, but as is the case in video games, this strength doesn't translate to damage dealt to enemies :D. Now then, go ahead and go destroying the blocks around the dungeon and get yourself unstuck!

Ya know actually I found out what it did when taking out my frustrations ON a block :D.

Oh yeah, there are a couple tricks in Zelda 2. One, later in the game you will get the infini-key. Good thing too since the next dungeon you enter after you get it will be the last one with keys in it. Second, you can use the fairy spell to bypass locked doors. Just fly right through the keyhole :D. Keep in mind that you can get stuck doing this...