Tendo City
Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows (/showthread.php?tid=2553)

Pages: 1 2

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2005

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/gauntletworkingtitle/preview_6118690.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_bg

New preview. Screenshots too. Looks great (unless you hate Gauntlet games)... well, except for the fact that it's not coming out for Cube, but that preview says that there's going to be a PC version in addition to PS2 and X-Box... :) (And they might eventually add a Cube version... maybe... they did with Mortal Kombat Deception, after all.)

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - OB1 - 16th February 2005

Looks nice... but it's Gaunlet. Woo.

:shakeit:

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - A Black Falcon - 16th February 2005

Yeah, it's Gauntlet, which is why I'm looking forward to it! :)

I'm pretty happy to hear it's coming out for a platform I own... but I'd rather have it for Cube than PC... so lets hope it gets a port. :)

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Dark Jaguar - 16th February 2005

Shouldn't it be 6 sorrows? Generally 6 is the number of incompleteness and bad wrong things, and 7 is the number of perfection and good things.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - OB1 - 16th February 2005

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2005

Uh... no number is 'bad'... I bet that there are seven worlds or something, for seven sorrows. Every game with worlds needs a number of worlds, and often a storyline mention of that number as something important, and here it's seven... that's all... kind of a strange thing to mention really. How about anything that actually has to do with the game? :)

I'd have posted the preview if it was shorter (and screenshots), but it's long enough that I didn't want to...

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2005

No number is "bad"? What, did you think I was being serious in the sense I meant it was a real world thing? I wasn't talking about the real world, I'm talking about the meanings assigned to numbers in a lot of mythology. They picked 7 for a VERY obvious reason, the same reason they pick 7 for a lot of things. Don't tell me you never noticed, or what, did you just pretend they weren't being all mystical about the numbers?

Here's the deal, lots of numbers have meanings assigned to them. Some people actually take these things seriously and ascribe them to their life, though I don't. What I do do however is take mild intrest in it in the same way I take interest in mythology in general. It's just interesting to study is all. So anyway, the thing is, 3 is a sacred number in a LOT of things. I don't know much outside of that, just that it is. That's why a lot of things use 3, or 3 groups of 3's. Like, the Triforce. 6 is the number of incompletion in some faiths, most notably, Christianity uses 6 symbolically (symbolically even within Christianity itself actually) to represent humanity, incompleteness, and evil, not at the same time mind you. 7 is considered, by that same token, to be the number of completeness, or perfection, or God's number. Combine 3 7's and you get where they got the jackpot lucky 7's from (they didn't just pick some random number there), and also it's the super number of God or something. 3 6's is the number of the antichrist, and evil, and also still humanity. Another interesting number is 8, which is apparently supposed to be the number of a new beginning. 4 is the number of greek elements, of the bodily humors, and lots of things like that. I dunno, maybe it's the number of basics? 1 is... um... the loneliest number there will ever be? :D 12 apparently also has some special significance... I really have no idea what. There were 12 apostles, that's something.

Look, the fact is, lots of story writers in games have used these numbers, and have used them all the time. For example, Zelda, which has a history of symbolism and sheer LEGEND power to the EXTREME (Hero of TIME, Sword of Destiny, Farmer... OF POWER), seems to love using these numbers. First off, the triforce, which has a certain 3-ness to it, obviously they would only pick a very number specific shape for it to be if that had some significance. In LTTP, you are finding first 3 pendants, then 7 maidens. In Zelda 1, you find 8 pieces of Wisdom. In Zelda 2, a personal quest to save only one person instead of the land, you find 6 palaces, and then a seventh one to complete the quest. In OOT, you find 3 gems, then 6 sages. Now here's the thing. Since I knew about the mythological symbolism behind some numbers back then, I figured out on my own there had to be a 7th sage long before she revealed herself. It just wasn't... complete until she showed up :D. Lots of Zelda games have 8 in them, though the new beginning aspect really isn't expressed... That's just Zelda...

Anyway, point is, they picked the number 7 in the topic game's name for a very symbolic, and obvious, reason, otherwise they wouldn't put that number right in the title. The only issue I have is if they picked that for that symbolism, they kinda got it wrong because 6 would fit better given it's meaning. I say it's obvious because they do this kind of stuff all the time, it's nothing new or even a stretch. It's barely an assumption on my part to think this.

3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... all of them are common numbers for games to choose as the "important number". I wouldn't say that one of those is dramatically more common than the others.

Anyway, since you probably didn't bother to click the link, perhaps the story will help?

Quote:The game's story, which has become deeper since its simple arcade beginnings, features much more prominently this time and ties into the mythos of the franchise by messing with what we know. The Gauntlet mythos has always revolved around the archetypal tale of four great warriors that team up to take down a great evil. Anyone who's up on his heroic narratives knows exactly how that kind of story is supposed to end: Evil is vanquished, peace returns to the land, and more. However, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows heads off into darker and less predictable territory. The premise still revolves around four immortal heroes who set out to kill the most powerful and evil emperor their age had ever known. But things didn't end up quite as sunny as you'd expect. The four brave warriors failed. To pay for their crime, they were all crucified to a tree at the bottom of the world and left there for the past two centuries.

Fortunately, the quartet is mysteriously freed from its woodsy site of crucifixion to prepare to try the whole "save the world" thing once more...though this time with feeling. But their quest isn't quite that cut and dried, because their foe, the evil and powerful emperor, is in a pretty weird mental place. Driven to grief by seven acts of deep cruelty and selfishness, the emperor isn't entirely sane these days and is hoping for some redemption. Of the six heinous acts that have him in his current situation, the biggie is the murder of his lover, Cusirimay. While the emperor's quest for redemption sounds good in theory, he's being a little heavy-handed about it by wreaking havoc on the land. So, for better or for worse, the heroes set out to help their enemy to save the world.

... I'll just post the rest of it (the paragraphs before that part are really just the introduction and don't matter much)...

Quote:As we've mentioned, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows' gameplay is shaping up to offer the mix of old and new you'd expect from an update of the series. The "old" grounds the title with a number of familiar trappings. As a result, you'll be able to play as the franchise's signature quartet of heroes, which includes: the burly warrior, the buxom valkyrie, the mighty wizard, and the food-needing elf. Each will have his or her own unique strengths and weaknesses that will lend themselves to different styles of play. The game's structure is also a returning staple that will require you to guide your hero through a variety of locales by slashing the heck out of anything that gets in your way. You'll collect items, earn experience, and search for hidden areas as you make your way through to the next area. The core multiplayer mechanics will be back as well, letting you and up to three friends plow through the game.

Elf Needs Online Play Badly!

Fresh additions to the game include two new playable heroes, though which classes they belong to remains a mystery. All six of the playable heroes will have their own unique backstory, complete with emotional baggage to sort, that will figure into the quest. A tweaked leveling system will let you buff up your hero's weapons, equipment, and magic via what's being termed "weapon, class, and iconic skills." The characters will also have access to "junction skills," which appear to be team attacks that let you work with your fellow players to unleash hefty attacks on clumps of foes. The basic combat system, traditionally a button-mashing fest of cramp-inducing proportions, is being expanded to both be deeper and offer two levels of play. From the sound of it, less-seasoned gamers will be able to get by with old-school button mashing, while vets will be rewarded with more-complex layers of moves and attacks to add depth to combat.

As cool as all that sounds, the most significant addition to the experience for many will likely be the tweaks and expansions to the multiplayer component of the game. Besides the expected offline multiplayer modes, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows is set to offer some meaty online options as well. The game will support up to four players online for co-op play, which is just what the doctor ordered for many fans of the series. In addition, Midway is aiming to create a community for players with the inclusion of a trade and barter system that will let you make enterprising use of the items you collect.

The visuals are shaping up well, from what we've seen, and they showcase a rich new overall look that's a far cry from the initial 3dfx-powered upgrade the game got for its arcade makeover in 1998. Character models are all nicely detailed and feature some good old-fashioned sword-and-sorcery-style designs that work well with the darker tone. Animation appears to be a bit stiff right now, but the game is still very much a work in progress. (We're hoping that will be fixed as development continues.) The environments feature some fresh designs and inspirations, such as the Persian-influenced courtyard seen in the trailer. At the same time, you can plan on seeing old-school environments, such as open plains and elemental areas, on the receiving end of visual updates.

Fresh looks also extend to the characters' special attacks, which retain the basic looks of the ones we've seen before but feature generous helpings of special effects to give them extra bits of oomph. The most eye-catching aspect of the visuals at the moment regards the camera. While it's hard to get an exact sense of how the camera's going to work in the game, we're intrigued by the cinematic aesthetic we're seeing. If the team can balance a smart and functional 3D camera with some slick cinematic angles, we'll be pleased.

We haven't heard much of the audio, but it seems to be sticking closely to the collection of weapon clashes, groans, and shrieks (punctuated by a deep-voiced announcer) that we've come to expect from the series. Hopefully the game will also feature a soundtrack that will match its audio style.

Based on what we've seen so far, Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows is shaping up to be the next step in the franchise that fans have been hoping for. The updated look has an undeniable charm that's a welcome improvement over the last console Gauntlet game. The gameplay appears to be following suit thanks to tweaks made to the core systems, as well as the overdue addition of online multiplayer. All told, we're excited to see how this game turns out. There's a lot of promise here that we're hoping is fulfilled when it ships this winter for the PC, PS2, and Xbox.

Trailer:
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/gauntletworkingtitle/media.html ('Stream for free')

JavaScript:launchGSL("/live/streamer_new2.html?title=Gauntlet+Seven+Sorrows+Official+Trailer+1&path=gauntlet_tr0216.asx&pid=919934&ppath=xbox%2Frpg%2Fgauntletworkingtitle&ksubmoid=&urdate=1128150000", "", 718, 500)

[Image: 919934_20050216_screen005.jpg]
[Image: 919934_20050216_screen001.jpg]
[Image: 919934_20050216_screen009.jpg]
[Image: 919934_20050216_screen003.jpg]
[Image: 919934_20050216_screen004.jpg]

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - OB1 - 17th February 2005

They sure like their bloom lighting.

It looks pretty good, but is obviously unfinished... Gauntlet is about massive numbers of enemies spawning infinitely from generators so they'd better be able to do a lot of enemies at once quite well for it to be a Gauntlet game. :)

Of course, some more RPG elements like they describe would be nice... Gauntlet Legends already has some, but some more player choice in character development would be nice. Nothing hugely dramatic, but why not make it a bit RPG-ish... as long as it keeps the fast, somewhat chaotic action mixed with puzzles formula that worked so well in past Gauntlet games, though, of course.

(Oh, and I know that Gauntlet Legends/Dark Legacy are love-or-hate games. Reviews like Gamespot's proove that. I'm not sure why there is such strong dislike from some people for them, but there clearly is... but of course I'm one of the people on the other side. :))

Yeah I saw the story, interesting idea of the main villian actually trying to redeem themselves WITHOUT the intervention of the heroes, but my point still stands. Yes those numbers are common, but they still pick them for a reason. I am NOT saying there is some real world meaning behind it, I'm saying they pick these numbers with the mythelogical meaning behind them in mind. I mean, you ignore a large part of what I said. Do you disagree, do you think that Zelda for example just picked the numbers they picked at random?

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Great Rumbler - 17th February 2005

It's like the Seven Deadly Sins.

Or 7-11.

I don't think the Seven Deadly Sins and 7-11 really have that much in common...

I just wanted to name another 7 thing.

Okay.

7-11 has a LOT in common, you see, both 7 and 11 are exactly 4 from EACH OTHER. What are the ODDS? :D

Quote:Yeah I saw the story, interesting idea of the main villian actually trying to redeem themselves WITHOUT the intervention of the heroes, but my point still stands. Yes those numbers are common, but they still pick them for a reason. I am NOT saying there is some real world meaning behind it, I'm saying they pick these numbers with the mythelogical meaning behind them in mind. I mean, you ignore a large part of what I said. Do you disagree, do you think that Zelda for example just picked the numbers they picked at random?

In most games I am sure that there is no special meaning to the number chosen. Zelda and three (the triforce, etc)? Perhaps there is some meaning there. But there's no meaning in, for example, the number eight, a frequent shower in Zelda games... or nine, or ten, or sixteen, or four, or any other number of dungeons/shards/whatever a Zelda game has had... they chose those numbers based on how long they thought the dungeons would be, how much gameplay they thought would go in between each one, and other such questions.

As for the story here (Gauntlet), I'd say that either there is no meaning or they're making some kind of connection (spelled out or just allegorical) with the seven deadly sins of the bible. :) Which is it? I'm not sure.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - A Black Falcon - 29th March 2005

http://www.cgonline.com/content/view/603/2/

Quote: Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows Interview Print E-mail
Written by John Callaham
Monday, 28 March 2005
Josh Sawyer of Midway talks to Computer Games Magazine about Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, the upcoming remake of the classic fantasy action-RPG.
Click for larger imageClick for larger imageClick for larger image

Gauntlet is definately one of the more well know video game franchises and later this fall Midway Games plans to bring that famous name back into the limelight with Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows, a remake that brings together two famous designers from different genres; former id Software member John Romero and former Black Isle Studios member Josh Sawyer. Computer Games Magazine got a chance to chat with Sawyer about their plans for Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows.

Computer Games - First, why did Midway wish to come back to the Gauntlet franchise at this time?

Josh Sawyer - Midway is very interested in modernizing its classic franchises. The new Area 51, Narc, and L.A. Rush are all based on Midway arcade games. Gauntlet is one of the granddaddies of co-op action, so it was another great choice to bring onto today’s consoles.

Computer Games - In addition to the basic gameplay, will Seven Sorrows have and winks and nods to previous games in the Gauntlet series?

Josh Sawyer - Definitely. The most obvious will be the inclusion of the “narrator voice”, which is a tradition going back to the very first Gauntlet. We don’t use food in to regain health in Seven Sorrows, but most of the old lines (and some new ones) will be in our action-oriented advance mode. The gameplay elements include things like generators, Death, super attacks (which we call “class skills”), and so on.

Computer Games - What can you tell us about the storyline for the game?

Josh Sawyer - The story starts about two centuries after four immortal heroes conspired to assassinate the all-conquering Emperor Yupanqui of the Urcointi Empire. The magical tree to which they were crucified mysteriously collapses, setting them free. They seek out the emperor only to find that he has used magic to prolong his life. Wracked with guilt over seven acts of cruelty, the emperor is attempting to merge himself with the energy of the world to bring back his murdered lover. The main problem with this is that it might tear the world apart. The heroes then set out to undo the sorrows of the emperor to stop him. Along the way, each of the heroes has to come to terms with their own past as they return home.

Computer Games - What will the playable characters in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows be like?

Josh Sawyer - There are six PCs. The core four are the warrior, valkyrie, wizard, and elf. The two new characters are the lancer and tragedian. Here’s a quick run-down on each of them:

Warrior
• Likes: Two-handed swinging weapons, vengeance, assassinations, breaking oaths.
• Dislikes: The emperor, being branded on the face, most of his countrymen, the valkyrie.
• Signature Move: Isle’s Defense – The warrior spins and releases his weapon, which flies around him like a lawnmower blade and returns to his hand.
• Class Skill: Retribution – The warrior swears that everyone who strikes at him will fall. By pressing the left trigger immediately after an attack hits him, the player can make good on that promise.

Valkyrie
• Likes: Keeping oaths, giving advice, cleaving weapons, ravens.
• Dislikes: Conflicting oaths, people telling her what to do, jerks, wearing armor over her vital areas.
• Signature Move: Northern Slash – The valkyrie charges her weapon and spins forward through the air, knocking enemies down and away.
• Class Skill: Flock – The valkyrie calls down ravens on her enemies. By jamming on face buttons, the player determines how many ravens come down and on which targets.

Wizard
• Likes: Wands topped with deer skulls, astrology, carved stones, eating human flesh.
• Dislikes: The empire, hysterical people, talking about his past, vegans.
• Signature Move: Soul Menhir – One unlucky soul is destroyed by the wizard’s attack. The wizard uses the dead man/woman/creature’s soul to create a pillar of magical force that roves around the battlefield.
• Class Skill: Mote Ignition – The wizard uses the spirits of fallen enemies to create spheres of elemental energy orbiting around him like tiny planets. Tiny planets that annihilate enemies when the player steers them around using the analog stick.

Elf
• Dislikes: Deception, pessimism, imperial sorcerers.
• Signature Move: Backhand – Spinning backward, the elf uses his shield to clock an enemy, sending them flying into the air. Often followed up by a rapid triple shot of his crystal throwing shards, which keep the enemy airborne.
• Class Skill: Glow – Calling on the ancient star of his people, the elf starts to transform into magical energy. The aura around him burns enemies and can eventually explode if the player takes it to the fantasy equivalent of critical mass.

Lancer
• Likes: Elitism, racism, talking down to people in their native language, the Great Ones.
• Dislikes: Uppity lower class people, foreigners, people with skin lighter than his.
• Signature Move: Noble Vaward – Floating into the air and bracing for impact, the lancer launches across the battlefield, his lance skewering any opponents who happen to be in his path.
• Class Skill: Supremacy – The lancer dons the ghostly armor of his ancestors. While equipped, the armor prevents the lancer from reacting to hits. It also allows him to annihilate weak enemies with a single strike of his weapon.

Tragedian
• Likes: Populism, being helpful, preserving culture, Harlot’s Tongue (sign language), long combos on the beach.
• Dislikes: Intolerance, being tortured for a decade, sing-alongs.
• Signature Move: Falcon Pact – After launching an enemy in the air, the tragedian leaps up, plants her feet on the victim’s chest, and repeatedly drives the target into the ground.
• Class Skill: Maquette – Used when surrounded. The tragedian conjures up a floating dummy of herself and teleports away in a cloud of smoke. Enemies attack the maquette until it is destroyed. Insert self-deprecating joke about AI here.

Computer Games - What kinds of environments will players see in the game?

Josh Sawyer - In a departure from the traditional Gauntlet formula, many of the areas will be exterior locations. The maps range from creepy swamps and sunken cities to plague-infested villages and an underground nexus of magical energy. Of course, we have a few bona fide dungeon levels as well.

Players should also expect a very high level of art quality in the environments. These maps are custom-built, not tile-based. We use a variety of camera types and angles throughout the game to achieve a nice balance of beauty and usability.

Computer Games - What will the combat system be like?

Josh Sawyer - Gauntlet’s combat is more like a fighting game than an RPG. Characters use a variety of weapon styles to perform different moves and combo chains. In addition to the stock “peashooter” missile weapon each character has (crystal knives for the elf, axes for the warrior, etc.), they use the other face buttons for Quick, Strong, and Special attacks. Quick attacks are the bread and butter moves, used for interrupting enemy charge attacks and dealing out fast damage. Strong attacks are used in preparation for an enemy advance or to clear a large area. Special attacks are sort of a grab bag of things like elbow smashes, kicks, and hilt butts. They are often used to knock down a character, break a block, or juggle an enemy into the air. Players will combine these button presses to perform special combos for different situations.

Each character class also has a super attack, or “class skill” that they will be able to use. These super attacks vary greatly, but all of them have an “active” component to their activation or use. For example, the valkyrie’s Flock skill places face button markers over the four nearest enemies. Every button press calls down a raven on the corresponding target.

In addition to these elements, players can co-operate to pull of large “junction skills”. Junction skills are comparable in power to class skills, but the mana cost can be shared by a number of co-operative players.

Computer Games - How will the characters "level up" in the game?

Josh Sawyer - At the end of each stage (or when quitting the game) players with enough experience will be able to assign one point to their character. This point can be used to advance their base statistics, add power to their class skill, or to unlock new weapon combos.

Computer Games - What kinds of enemies will players face in Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows?

Josh Sawyer - Enemies range from the mindless insect-like Skull Spawn to the highly organized and deadly Imperial Legion Lieutenants. The monster designers are working on making each enemy distinct. The enemies don’t have to be ultra-sophisticated in their behavior as much as they have to significantly differ from other creatures in the environment. We want the player to determine that the complexity of dealing with a situation lies in the combination of enemies, not in any specific enemy or enemy behavior on its own.

Computer Games - What will the multiplayer modes be like in the game?

Josh Sawyer - Offline, players can go through the 1-2 player story mode or the 1-4 player advance mode. Story mode allows the players to use alternating pairs of heroes (warrior and valkyrie, elf and wizard, lancer and tragedian) as they work through the seven sorrows. In advance mode, the story elements (dialogues, cutscenes, etc.) are stripped away so the players can focus on advancing their characters and collecting more treasure.

Online, players can participate in the advance mode or “perfection matches”. Perfection matches allow players to go through the game solo while connected to our central server. Perfection matches are very difficult, because the game spawns enemies and scales bosses as though four players were in the game. For completing a perfection match, players get a visual merit badge next to their character’s name. If they have the highest perfection score for their level bracket, they also receive a unique weapon or shield that is effectively a useable trophy – for as long as they hold the high score.

Computer Games - What other interesting gameplay elements will Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows have?

Josh Sawyer - Seven Sorrows uses the spirits of dead enemies to regenerate player health. It’s somewhat similar to the system found in Onimusha. Because the players have to share this resource in multiplayer games, it becomes an interesting co-op element.

Also, to prevent loot-grabbing in online play, treasure drops usually dispense one item for each player. The items might not all be of equal value, but everyone gets one.

We are also using a light challenge system in multiplayer to keep players on their toes. A challenge might be a command to not use block for the level, or to kill at least three enemies with junction skills. Players who complete their challenges receive keys, which are used to unlock rare “special” chests. Special chests only give one item, but the item is usually more powerful than the standard treasure drops for that level.

Computer Games - What are the game's graphical features be like and will there be any enhanced graphics for the PC version?

Josh Sawyer - We have re-written our multi-pass renderer for both Xbox and PS2. We support bloom, glow, specular and environment mapping – all sorts of goodies. Also, we’re supporting 720p and 1080i, which looks fantastic.

Computer Games - The game is being designed by John Romero and yourself. What do do and he bring to the table in terms of creating a new Gauntlet game, especially since you both come from two different game design backgrounds?

Josh Sawyer - John’s focus is usually on the core fun of the gameplay. I’ve been working on the world and character design, story, the RPG system, and the core combat mechanics.

Computer Games - What is the current status of the game's progress and when will it be released?

Josh Sawyer - We are rapidly approaching alpha, so a lot of elements are being integrated as I write this. We’ve also just wrapped up our first pass on voice recording, which went very well. We are scheduled for release in Q4 of 2005.

Computer Games - Finally is there anything else you wish to say about Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows?

Josh Sawyer - It’s going to knock your socks on your ass.

The writers have a sense of humor at least, but I'm still pretty dubious about if this game will really be Gauntlet, or will just be a new action/RPG with the Gauntlet name tied to it... I want generators creating 98% of the enemies, constant spawning that forces you to fight massive numbers of enemies, very simple levelling up (maybe having choices when you level up could work, but if you do that keep it very simple -- this is Gauntlet, and simplicity is a big part of why it's fun...), shooting-the-walls and hitting-switches puzzles... you know, everything that makes Gauntlet Gauntlet... and I don't know if this game will have that.

"But it might be BETTER", you say? Eh, who knows... I just know that Gauntlet, as it was in Legends and Dark Legacy, was great and didn't really need a huge revamp. We're getting it anyway.

But if it does work, and it is still Gauntlet... well, I think I'll need a new video card. :D

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - OB1 - 29th March 2005

Gauntlet stinks.

:)

Seven Sorrows isn't Legends, OB1... you might take that more positively than I do. :)

I know, I was just saying that Gauntlet sucks.

Well you're very, very wrong. You and your friends at Gamespot can go have a Gauntlet-Hater party or something... :)

But I hate gamespot.

Seriously, Gauntlet sucks.

You agree with them about Gauntlet.

And it quite definitely doesn't... it's just a game (Legends/Dark Legacy) that seems to be one of those 'love or hate' games, without much in between.

It sucks.

Simplistic does not necessarially mean awful.

Of course not. But simplistic does not mean good, either.

Gauntlet sucks.

You like to talk about how simplicity is good, you know... unless it's not?

Look, I know that when anyone plays a game they will have a slightly different opinion of it than anyone else. That's obvious, as people are different. But people should also be able to look at the game objectively, without their biases, and look at its qualities from that perspective... it's hard to do, I know (no one can do that all the time for sure), but can't you try?

I never said that all a game needs to be good is simplicity. That is again you completely failing to understand even the most simplest of statements.

And Gauntlet still sucks.

No, I was intentionally simplifying them in an attempt to not have to write a long post. :)

Dark Legacy's fun but just a rehash, but Legends is a very good game... I know you don't get it, but there is a lot of fun to be had in Gauntlet. I know it and almost everyone I've played the game with knows it too.

I "get it" just fine. That doesn't change its suckiness.

That's an opinion, not a fact.

*GASP!!!*

Have you played Dark Alliance, OB1?

The BG game?

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - A Black Falcon - 30th March 2005

Technically, yes, but I'd rather not think of it as having anything to do with BG... :)

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - OB1 - 30th March 2005

Yeah, didn't much care for it.

Decent, but mostly uninteresting and not nearly as fun as Gauntlet Legends.

I used to make fun of the few people that I knew who loved those crappy Gauntlet games.

But they loved all super-repetitive action games, like Diablo II.

Diablo II is alright, but got boring after I finished it on Normal... I know some people who got very addicted to playing that game online, though. I don't get it... it's a very well made game, true (that's a given for a Blizzard title.), but it gets boring after a while! I have very little interest in going through the same environment for the fifth, or tenth, or fiftieth, time just to level my character or get some good loot... Zzz... it's fun as long as you have new areas to go to, but once it's done? It's done. I never got even halfway on the second difficulty (that you unlock once you beat the first).

One thing's for sure, though... Diablo II is a far better game than Dark Alliance. DII is an A-quality title. BGDA is B-quality, if I'm being nice. Gauntlet? Production values are probably mid B-quality, but it's got A-quality pure fun... Well, other than the bosses... Legends/Dark Legacy bosses are just too hard. :)

How come you critisize simple FPS's but love horrible simple games like Gauntlet and Cruisin'?

Gauntlet is a lot better than Cruis'n.

And yes, I'd rather have Gauntlet Legends than Perfect Dark. Oh, I know, PD is the better game overall. I just have more fun playing Gauntlet... as I've said many times, I'm just not a huge fan of FPSes.

You crezeh.

Everyone has their own opinions... doesn't necessarially (sp?) make them crazy.

Yours are, though.

No more than anyone's. And that includes you, for sure.

Seriously, your tastes are really weird. You favorite racing series is Rush, you hate Gran Turismo, you love Cruisin', you hate even good FPS's, you have no interest in RE4, and you love repetitive top-down hack-and-slash games.

Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows - Great Rumbler - 30th March 2005

I think that qualifies as crazy.

Quote:Seriously, your tastes are really weird. You favorite racing series is Rush, you hate Gran Turismo, you love Cruisin', you hate even good FPS's, you have no interest in RE4, and you love repetitive top-down hack-and-slash games.

Not true or unfair characterizations which I have sufficiently explained many times, not that you care.

I've played Gran Turismo for maybe five minuites, at most. I won't judge it. All I can say is that I usually do not like realistic racing games... but I can't judge any specific one without playing it.

Cruis'n? Fun arcade racing. No depth, gets old fast. But fun for a while and then every once in a while when you just want to drive fast.

Rush? Yeah, that's my favorite racing series. Closely followed by F-Zero (and then probably Wipeout).

FPSes? Oh, I never said I don't like some... the ones I own I mostly like. Jedi Knight's in my top 10 PC games list. I enjoy the single player modes, when they are done well. It can be fun to run around in a FPS and kill things... but there are other genres I like more, like platformers, or RPGs, or adventure games, or strategy games...

RE4? Eh, whatever. Might get it someday, but I have higher priorities. If you think me weird for that one, oh well.

Quote: love repetitive top-down hack-and-slash games.

Every game is different. Diablo II is a good game, but I can't understand why some people obsessively play it for years. I played for a couple weeks and that was plenty. BGDA is just decent enough to play but has nothing on a real RPG. Zelda: Four Swords and FFCC are alright too, though simple... or I could mention X-Men Legends, that game's in this category too. But you don't care about any of those games, you mean Gauntlet.

Gauntlet is an action game, with slight RPG elements. It's not an action-RPG. It's an action game. An arcade action game. That's something you have to understand to like it. Gauntlet is fun because of its simplicity... more depth might hurt (like Gradius -- that game is great because of the simple system. Make it too cumbersome and the game wouldn't work.). 'Hack-and-slash'? Perhaps, but it's not hack-and-slash like most games of the type, because its RPG elements are so tiny... you go through mostly linear levels killing things and destroying monster generators. There's not some hidden great depth behind it.

As I've said before, I think one of the problems with BGDA is that they tried to put in that depth and it just didn't work... some games need to be deep, like strategy games and RPGs, but in others, it just hurts. Like Gradius or Gauntlet.