Tendo City
What a boring Super Bowl - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: What a boring Super Bowl (/showthread.php?tid=2533)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

What a boring Super Bowl - Great Rumbler - 13th February 2005

ABF has never seen 2001: A Space Odyssey either. *is also depressed by the sad state of affairs of today's youth*

What a boring Super Bowl - A Black Falcon - 13th February 2005

We've got the movie (2001) at home on VHS, but I never got around to seeing it...

:shake:

What a boring Super Bowl - deanna - 13th February 2005

is that like another star wars?

Quote:is that like another star wars?

Erm Eek :confused2 Yipes .... Explode

What a boring Super Bowl - deanna - 13th February 2005

Dunno sorry...

Yeah, 2001 and Star Wars aren't closely related...at all.

They are sci-fi. Other than that no connection.

You should go watch 2001, ABF...right now.

Btw, I've considered for some time creating a graph explaining the differences in the major scifi movies using Realistic/Unrealistic and Drama/Action as the two axes.

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 13th February 2005

Star Wars is fantasy in scifi drag.

Check it:

What a boring Super Bowl - EdenMaster - 13th February 2005

That's actually quite accurate...

Eek

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 13th February 2005

I think the fact that 2001's title is 2001 already makes it the most unrealistic movie out of the entire bunch. ;)

Nice chart. :)

What a boring Super Bowl - Great Rumbler - 14th February 2005

Quote:I think the fact that 2001's title is 2001 already makes it the most unrealistic movie out of the entire bunch.

True, but it wasn't just based on that. It was also acuracy of physics, technology, and design; believablity of plot wasn't really a major consideration.

What a boring Super Bowl - Darunia - 14th February 2005

I remember on New Years, 2001, they played that--right at midngiht, Jan. 1st, I believe, and I watched it with my brother. It's such an intense thinker movie. I liked 2010 better, because it's dumbed down to someone of my limited attention span.

Yeah, 2001 definitely isn't light fare, not even close. 2010 was a good movie, of course, but nothing beats watching a spaceship dock with a spacestation while The Blue Danube plays in the background. Now that's movie-making. And then there's the stargate, the white room, the ape-men, the moon landing, the monolith, the...*keeps going on from there*

What a boring Super Bowl - The Former DMiller - 14th February 2005

...the ending that no one to this day can explain. :) Gotta love that movie.

I've seen 2001 at least five times and the ending still doesn't really make sense. Although, after reading the book it still doesn't make any sense...HA! You thought that I was going to say that after reading the book EVERYTHING made sense! Well, guess what? It still doesn't!

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 14th February 2005

Did you read all of the other books? What happens?

Space elevator?

What a boring Super Bowl - deanna - 14th February 2005

There are actually scientists researching to create a space elevator...expected in the near-but-maybe-not-so-near-future...:nodding:

Of course. The idea of a space elevator was first introduced by the Arthur C. Clarke story "Foutains of Paradise" and it has since been used in many other things, including 3001. Basically it's a giant elevator made out of diamond that reaches up about 60-100 miles and attached to the end of it is a spacestation.

Yep, and its a big topic in the emerging technology field right now

And, the pictures look awesome

The only major problem associated with creating a working space elevator at this point in time is finding a material that's strong enough to support something that massive.

How about space crystals??!111

There's no such things as space crystals, OB1.

:D SPACE CRYSTALS!?!

omg...lol

What a boring Super Bowl - The Former DMiller - 15th February 2005

My school is actually pretty deeply involved in space elevator research. Currently they are trying to create a space elevator using carbon nanotubes, which are, from what I know, the strongest substance we know about. I went to a seminar by a guy from Rice University who was working with the team at Illinois and it was actually pretty interesting even though most of it was over my head.

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 15th February 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:There's no such things as space crystals, OB1.

Oh YEAH then what the heck is THIS!!!???!!!

What a boring Super Bowl - Great Rumbler - 15th February 2005

That's space candy, OB1.

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 15th February 2005

Well.... use that then.

What a boring Super Bowl - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2005

American Dad is stupid... right wing paranoia crossed with stupid-humor-like-Family-Guy-but-worse... a recipe for mediocricy, I'd say. It's not totally awful, but certainly isn't a fantastic cartoon... especially when the father is there. He's just an idiot.

What a boring Super Bowl - Geno - 18th February 2005

I thought American Dad would especially appeal to liberals, what with the right wing bashing on Stan's part.

What a boring Super Bowl - Great Rumbler - 18th February 2005

Quote:American Dad is stupid... right wing paranoia crossed with stupid-humor-like-Family-Guy-but-worse... a recipe for mediocricy, I'd say. It's not totally awful, but certainly isn't a fantastic cartoon... especially when the father is there. He's just an idiot.

:shake:

It's too annoying most of the time to be funny...

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 18th February 2005

Everything is annoying to you. And you are annoying to everyone.

American Dad was funny, like Family Guy. Arrested Development is only getting 18 episodes this season, which means it's probably going to be cancelled.

OB1, is your credibility helped when you attack me for saying I disliked a show that you have said you disliked?

Yeah, I thought so.

Yeah but I don't hate everything like you do.

Great Rumbler Wrote:American Dad was funny, like Family Guy. Arrested Development is only getting 18 episodes this season, which means it's probably going to be cancelled.

Not quite. Nothing is certain until May.

Quote:Yeah but I don't hate everything like you do.

Rolleyes

Well it's true. And I didn't find the show annoying, just not that hilarious.

I was talking about the way the father is a paranoid right-wing nut. It's supposed to be funny but it just comes off as stupid and annoying, I'd say...

Quote:Not quite. Nothing is certain until May.

That's what they said on Fox News yesterday. 18 episodes and which means it'll likely be cancelled. I hope it's not true either, but...

Fox News is crap.

They're owned by News Corporation, so wouldn't they know what one of their own is doing? Besides it's not like if you say that it'll make Arrested Development be not cancelled by the idiot wing of company.

What a boring Super Bowl - Geno - 19th February 2005

Stan's daughter is a liberal. I feel it keeps the family a little more balanced.

What a boring Super Bowl - OB1 - 19th February 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:They're owned by News Corporation, so wouldn't they know what one of their own is doing? Besides it's not like if you say that it'll make Arrested Development be not cancelled by the idiot wing of company.

You'd think so, but they are that dumb. They're just speculating. The official word is that Arrested Development has not been cancelled. That's it.