Tendo City
Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? (/showthread.php?tid=2521)

Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? - Laser Link - 31st January 2005

<a href="http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/01/25/rollingstone.bible.ap/index.html">CNN: Rolling Stone decides to accept Bible ad</a>
Quote:After first rejecting the advertisement, Rolling Stone sent Zondervan a contract for a half-page ad in the rock magazine's February 24 issue, said Doug Lockhart, executive vice president of marketing at the nation's largest Bible publisher.

Lisa Dallos, a spokeswoman for Rolling Stone publisher Wenner Media LLC, said Tuesday that the company had "addressed the internal miscommunications that led to the previous misstatement of company policy and apologize for any confusion it may have caused."

Grand Rapids-based Zondervan, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, had bought space in the magazine months ago as part of an ad campaign for a new Bible translation aimed at young people, called Today's New International Version.

But about two weeks ago, Zondervan said it was told that Rolling Stone's policy was not to accept advertisements for religious materials.

Lockhart said the contract sent to Zondervan does not require any changes to the ad, which features a contemplative-looking young man and says the new Bible is "written in today's language, for today's times -- and it makes more sense than ever."

"We're thrilled," Lockhart said.

Other media outlets that agreed to carry the ad include <b>Modern Bride, The Onion, MTV.com and AOL</b>, Lockhart said.

I think it's fantastic to see Zondervan making a point of advertising the Bible to people who would probably otherwise never give it a second thought. I also appreciate that they are not selling out or watering down with a bold slogan like "Timeless truth; Today's language". Using the word "truth" is apparently what originally caused Rolling Stone to ban the ad, but it's cool to see the change of mind.

I am excited because most people are searching for spiritual truth yet they have never gone to the source and found out the truth for themselves. It would be foolish to dislike Ocarina of Time because your friend's big brother's cousin played it at a kiosk and thought it was stupid because Link is a kid in the beginning. You'd miss out on the best game ever made. Don't make a mistake by believing what somebody else told you about God or Jesus, not even what a prof says or your friends say or your parents say or what I say. Read the Bible and find out what God says about himself.

Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? - A Black Falcon - 1st February 2005

My opinion is, of course, that they shouldn't be allowed to say things that aren't true and it's pretty obvious that not every word in the bible is true... but given the standards for advertising these days, it's not much of an infraction really...

Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? - alien space marine - 1st February 2005

I heard some where that in some places , The media and journalism have to be only 70% accurate and prefferd to be 90%. Which is why some newspappers have no idea WTF their talking about, This crap page in my old local newspapper that said Kate Mulgrew the actress playing the role of Captain Janeway in startrek voyager was gonna leave the show after season 6, This was in about 1999-2000 near the end of season 5, The article lost credibility when it called the ship Janeway comanded the USS Enterprise.

I hate corporate and political biased newspappers ,Were I used to live the all powerful irving oil corporation bought out and controlled all the local media , So you would never hear anything negative about irving but plenty of spin doctering nit picking nonsense about their rivals.If the irving refinaries blew up! The most you would get is some small story in a back page about how the brave workers of irving co are dealing with the desaster.

Did you see that Bible ad on The Onion? - geoboy - 6th February 2005

I think the commercialization of the Bible is sad. I can't speak for the publishing company, but wouldn't the real reason they want to modernize and advertise the Bible is to increase sales and profit? And why would it be okay for a publishing company to advertise the Bible in a mainstream publication and deny that to some religious organization?