Tendo City
Blizzard of '05 - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Blizzard of '05 (/showthread.php?tid=2504)

Blizzard of '05 - Darunia - 23rd January 2005

So who else is trapped indoors in this? They said as much as 3' of snow---but we only have between 1 & 2.

Blizzard of '05 - EdenMaster - 23rd January 2005

Yes, we've gotten a fair amount here as well, I'd say about over a foot thus far. It took myself and three people about 15 minutes to dig my car out of the driveway. The snow was literally higher than the bottom of my car door. The fact that a plow had smashed an extra foot at the end of our driveway didn't help much either.

I'm willing to bet ABF has seen quite a bit as well (he lives in Maine).

Blizzard of '05 - A Black Falcon - 23rd January 2005

It's snowing. :)

It hadn't been a snow-heavy winter, but last thursday we had almost a foot of snow... and school was cancelled! Yup. I was surprised because this college almost never cancels because of snow... but it was too much at the wrong time I guess.

As for today, I wish it was coming tomorrow so we'd miss school again... :D It's been snowing lightly since about 2 am this morning. We've probably added a few inches to that foot we got thursday. Maybe 6 inches, I don't know... but we're probably on the upper edge of this storm so we probably won't get as much as some areas.

Blizzard of '05 - Fittisize - 23rd January 2005

Out of the past 10 school days, 5 have been canceled. Two for extremely cold weather (-40, the only temp that school will be shut down on), another two for freezing rain (two straight days of rain...the sand and salt trucks couldn't do anything because they themselves had no control on the pure ice) and another for an incredible amount of snow fallen overnight (a HUGE amount; I can't remember the last time school was canceled for snow alone). The best memory of the past two weeks was trying to drive uptown when it was raining. Any speed above 10 k/h was unsafe, and stopping was nearly impossible. This is the best winter ever.

Blizzard of '05 - The Former DMiller - 23rd January 2005

We got it pretty bad in Chicago, but not as bad as you guys on the East Coast. I was indoors for the Cubs Convention all weekend anyway so it didn't matter that it was snowing outside.

Blizzard of '05 - Darunia - 23rd January 2005

23" at my house, and umass and-well everything else in new england---has been cancelled for tomorrow.

Not everything in New England. :) Only southern maine is getting hit hard. central and northern Maine isn't getting nearly as badly...

Blizzard of '05 - Dark Jaguar - 23rd January 2005

At first I thought this was about Blizzard the company, rather than blizzard the snow storm.

Well that must suck... You should share some of that snow though. It's been below freezing for a few days now but with nary a cloud in the sky it's still not likely to snow just yet! I hope it manages to snow before, without warning, the temp shoots back up to perfect again.

It's been around 0 at night for several days now, and not overly warm during the day, so it's a bit (not a lot, I wouldn't want it to go above freezing or the snow would start melting!) colder than ideal, but it's winter so you expect it... and wear a coat. :)

Blizzard of '05 - Geno - 23rd January 2005

No snow here, but the wind is crazy.

Blizzard of '05 - Great Rumbler - 23rd January 2005

It's not really cold enough here to get any snow, the low is only about 30 and the high is nearly 60. Now that school has started back I wouldn't mind a little snow to slow things down.

60 degrees in winter and over-100 degree summers... I should feel sorry for you, shouldn't I... :)

Blizzard of '05 - Great Rumbler - 23rd January 2005

I do believe you've taken words from my mouth. 100 degrees isn't that bad, but I'd die if I had to live with anything below 26 degrees. Like you crazy Mainenites. 60 in winter is great, just a few days ago we got up to 70, now that's winter weather that I can handle.

Blizzard of '05 - Dark Jaguar - 23rd January 2005

Well actually ABF that's a generalization that doesn't reflect the true nature of our weather. It fluctuates wildly. Around here in Tulsa for example it has been below freezing for a few days, though between posting that and posting this it shot up. I really don't know what temp it is outside right now actually... Clouds show up and leave but not a bit of precipitation. However, it was... at least... cold enough for snow. Certainly one thing is true, I started out having to wear a coat, gloves, ski mask, you know the whole thing, and by the time I got home I had to carry all that stuff in, wadded up in a ball.

Hopefully it'll drop again and clouds will show up... and it will snow, but instead it may just shoot up to shorts wearing weather.

It gets pretty damn cold around here, but we don't get snow often. We get strong winds though. Still, we do have summer temperatures in the triple digits sometimes. It's not that bad when you've lived here your whole life.

Blizzard of '05 - Weltall - 23rd January 2005

We got about a half-inch of freezing rain.

Of course, that was enough to paralyze the entire state for four days and counting. Schools are already closed for tomorrow, and likely Tuesday too.

My state is still up and running as normal, but the winds are driving me crazy, especially since I'm a bagger at a grocery store. I feel sorry for the people whose cars get bruised by the buggies blown by the wind.

It's always funny to see what miniscule amounts of snow it takes to paralyze the south... :meat:

26 degrees? I don't know if it's been that warm in the last week... perhaps not, it's been frigid. So I just walk faster and zip my coat. It's not the end of the world... now hundred degree heat, that I know I'd hate. Having grown up in Maine, I'll take 5 degrees and snowy thank you very much. :)

Blizzard of '05 - Weltall - 23rd January 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:It's always funny to see what miniscule amounts of snow it takes to paralyze the south... :meat:

Normally I agree, even the threat of winter weather turns these people into a bunch of mincing fraidy-cats. I think a dusting of snow is a ridiculous reason to cancel school (well, now that I'm out of school I think this), but this time it's thick, straight ice on the roads, and that's actually a legitimate danger to people not used to driving on it.

The trouble is, even though we get ice and snow every year without fail, VDOT is always dreadfully unprepared to handle winter weather, so while ice and snow is usually off the main roads in reasonable time, neighborhood streets are often left for days and days with no plowing or salting. My neighborhood is still totally glazed over, and even I lost control on it coming home tonight (surprising since I am used to driving in it).

Blizzard of '05 - alien space marine - 23rd January 2005

Ryan I actually met that guy in your aviatar in person, On a stage in universal studios.

He is Mr sarcastic!

If you get snow every winter you'd expect people to have at least SOME level of experience with it... and the towns to have some kind of preparedness...

Of course, snow cancels school sometimes everywhere. But it takes more than a couple of inches up here (unless something strange happens (lots of snow coming down when they call off school and while it stops later it's too late for them to take it back -- quite rare)...) for sure. In school they'd include five snow days into the schedule and sometimes we used all of them. Not always, as sometimes only a few were used, but five was what they budgeted time for... in college of course snow days just cancel classes, so they're quite a bit more rare, but as last thursday proves they do happen sometimes. :)

Blizzard of '05 - Great Rumbler - 24th January 2005

Quote:I don't know if it's been that warm in the last week... perhaps not, it's been frigid.

That's way too cold for me. Tomorrow it's going to get up to 70 degrees, so I'm happy.

Blizzard of '05 - Dark Jaguar - 24th January 2005

Just a little snow, like a light dusting but the road is still visible, doesn't shut down the town, or even school. If it's 5 inches deep or more though, consider school out for the day. It'll all be gone by the next day anyway :D. Yeah, not much by your standards, but it's enough here. Generally, the rest of the city just works with it though. Actually, I'm thinking part of the reason some schools cancel may just be to let kids play in the VERY temporary snow.

Blizzard of '05 - Geno - 24th January 2005

alien space marine Wrote:Ryan I actually met that guy in your aviatar in person, On a stage in universal studios.

He is Mr sarcastic!

:wha: Eh?

But whatever the case, that is a funny sig there, Ryan. :evilha:

Blizzard of '05 - Darunia - 24th January 2005

This snow sucks. It's cancelled my first two days of second semester, and kept me trapped indoors. I hate being trapped indoors, bored... I need to get out, hell I even want to go back to school!

Blizzard of '05 - EdenMaster - 24th January 2005

That would be Penn Jillette, one of the funniest performers out there today.

If I'm not mistaken, that very footage is from his Showtime show "Bullshit!" with his partner Teller.

Blizzard of '05 - OB1 - 25th January 2005

My little brother is in Maine right now, telling me horror stories about the snow over there. And of course I've been rubbing in the fact that we've had sunny 60-70 degrees weather over here in Colorado over the past week.

:shakeit:

Blizzard of '05 - A Black Falcon - 25th January 2005

Quote:My little brother is in Maine right now, telling me horror stories about the snow over there. And of course I've been rubbing in the fact that we've had sunny 60-70 degrees weather over here in Colorado over the past week.

But snow is good and 60 degrees in winter would be horrible! What a surprise, we disagree on this too... I was really happy that in the last week we got over a foot of snow. :)

I don't get it... why dislike winter so much? Sure, it's cold, but you get used to that quickly. Snow? It looks great on the ground, allows skiing, etc... but really I think that winter is SUPPOSED to have snow. Winter without cold and snow would be like summer without hot weather... just wrong! I'd hate to live in the south, that's for sure...

Blizzard of '05 - OB1 - 25th January 2005

It's because you hate the outdoors, Brian. I love biking, jogging, football, tennis, hiking, and just about everything else you can do on a nice sunny day, things that are not fun or possible to do in the cold. To you it's all about the pretty winter wonderland scenery. You don't do stuff outside, so it doesn't matter to you. But I am an outdoorsy type so I hate the cold.

And it's not 60 degrees here all winter. We've had plenty of cold and snow. We just don't have it non-stop all season, which is why Colorado is so awesome.

Blizzard of '05 - Fittisize - 25th January 2005

Quote:To you it's all about the pretty winter wonderland scenery. You don't do stuff outside, so it doesn't matter to you. But I am an outdoorsy type so I hate the cold.

How about skiing, ski-dooing, skating etc etc etc??? How about even ice fishing for chrissakes? There is more than enough to do outside in the winter. Yeah, you're such a woodsman. A real lumberjack. The outdoors is your home. Except when it involves you getting cold.

Blizzard of '05 - Great Rumbler - 25th January 2005

Quote:And of course I've been rubbing in the fact that we've had sunny 60-70 degrees weather over here in Colorado over the past week.

Totally. It's been so nice here lately as well.

Quote:How about skiing, ski-dooing, skating etc etc etc??? How about even ice fishing for chrissakes? There is more than enough to do outside in the winter.

Yeah, but ABF doesn't do those things when it snows.

Quote:A real lumberjack.

He's a lumberjack and he's okay! He sleeps all night and he works all day!

Blizzard of '05 - OB1 - 26th January 2005

Fittisize Wrote:How about skiing, ski-dooing, skating etc etc etc??? How about even ice fishing for chrissakes? There is more than enough to do outside in the winter. Yeah, you're such a woodsman. A real lumberjack. The outdoors is your home. Except when it involves you getting cold.

Skiing and snowboarding costs money. LOTS and LOTS of money. And rollerblading is better than iceskating. And ice fishing? Again, the regular kind is much better!

Blizzard of '05 - A Black Falcon - 26th January 2005

Cross-country skiing is very cheap to free and is fun... sure, I don't do it all the time (because at school I can't, or I certainly would go more often), but certainly do every winter (have three times this winter). I've never gone downhill skiing, but I've been cross-country skiing for pretty much my whole life. I like it.

Quote:It's because you hate the outdoors, Brian. I love biking, jogging, football, tennis, hiking, and just about everything else you can do on a nice sunny day, things that are not fun or possible to do in the cold. To you it's all about the pretty winter wonderland scenery. You don't do stuff outside, so it doesn't matter to you. But I am an outdoorsy type so I hate the cold.

And it's not 60 degrees here all winter. We've had plenty of cold and snow. We just don't have it non-stop all season, which is why Colorado is so awesome.

I don't hate the outdoors. I just don't usually do much in it because I'm not interested in playing sports, etc... but our family would sometimes go hiking in summer or fall or skiing in winter and it's not like I always hated it or anything. It's fine as an occasional activity. Though at school I have to walk quite a bit, with it being on average an 8-10 minuite walk each way to classes... :) All that walking is probably a good part of why (in reverse of what they say is normal) I lost 15 pounds my first year of college (and have stayed about the same in the years since)...

But I really like how it doesn't just fall but it STAYS... having snow on the ground is one of the best parts of winter! Times in midwinter when you can see the ground... kind of depressing because it means that there hasn't been enough snow...

Sure, winter means wet shoes, walking through wet snow/mud on the paths all the time (and remember, I probably do 20+ minuites of walking around campus daily (on weekdays), between going to classes, meals, etc...), but I'll gladly trade some wet shoes and socks for the beauty of snow. Winter is probably my favorite season... the temperature is never warm, I get to wear my coat (I like my coat, it's always sad when it gets too warm to wear it anymore...), everything is white... :)

Cross-country skiing is boring. And how is it free when you have to pay for expensive equipment?

It's perfectly fine that you like winter, I mean, you've lived in Maine all of your life, right? But really... the other seasons are so much better.

I've lived here all my life, yes. Of course I've visited plenty of other places on vacations, but this is where I've mostly lived so I like it here. If I didn't I wouldn't have gone to school here too, probably. :)

Skis... yeah, you need skis (and poles and ski boots). But once you have a set it lasts a long time... especially once you're an adult and don't need to keep getting new ones that you've outgrown...

That's like saying that having a mansion is cheap because you only need to buy one once, and after that first purchase it's basically "free".

It's not THAT much, and anyway, I at least would say that it's worth it... but then again I don't mind being outside for a while when it's cold. :)