Tendo City
Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! (/showthread.php?tid=2462)

Pages: 1 2

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - lazyfatbum - 7th January 2005

REVOLUTION IS AT HAND!!!!!!!!!!!

As we get closer to E3 let's post all the news on Revolution in this thread! A brand new console; but will it suffer like Nintendo's last two efforts? Can Nintendo pull it off in this day and age? Is this going to be Nintendo's last attempt to regain the #1 spot? Gah! We've seen pictures of the new Zelda and thought "holy god damn! it's uber photoreal!" but now a new hardware system is coming... will it actually... possibly... be something that doesn't use a TV? OMG!!!!!! 3-D glasses? a headset? Virtual Boy 2!?!?!?

Nintendo:

"The Revolution will be shown at E3"

"We have reached a point where games within the next five years will no longer be able to advance graphically. Nintendo needs to focus on style and gameplay; offering new ideas and innovations."

"The Revolution controller will not have a d-pad or A and B buttons. Some theories include a touch screen controller, voice activation or a wireless glove device simmilar to what they use in Minority Report. One thing is certain though, it will be anything but conventional."

"The next system we make (after project Dolphin/NGC) will be backwards compatible with all future Nintendo hardware and NGC (Nintendo Gamecube)."

Miyamoto: "Video games are changing so much, we want to make new experiences no one has ever thought of but the current hardware wont allow it... video games, as a whole, will change drastically with the next hardware. It will be completely new, like nothing you have ever experienced."

"The time is not right for Nintendo to go online yet. That time will come when the market is larger and more accecible. Wireless technology and the Nintendo DS is a venture in to that market... it will lay the ground work for home console online capabilities with Nintendo."

OH JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E3 is 130 days a way!!!!!!!!!!
May 17th is the conference and may 18th is the first day of the expo! it's going to be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Great Rumbler - 7th January 2005

130 days! WOOO!!!

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 7th January 2005

You know what's weird? Tal Belvin from ign thinks that there's only a 15% chance that we'll see the console at E3, despite Nintendo's comments. I'm hoping that he's just dumb.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Weltall - 7th January 2005

Quote:Miyamoto: "Video games are changing so much, we want to make new experiences no one has ever thought of but the current hardware wont allow it... video games, as a whole, will change drastically with the next hardware. It will be completely new, like nothing you have ever experienced."

Translation: New Zelda has even CUTER graphics!

I'm sorry, but for the last five years, the Nintendo brass has been showering us with these wonderfully-deep Zen quotations about the future of gaming, but with a few exceptions, they haven't excited me in a very long time (to be fair, videogames in general haven't excited me in a very long time, again, with a few exceptions). What did we see on the GameCube that was truly an out-of-this-world, never-before-seen experience that totally redefined video games, as we were so often promised?

I say, stow the Phil Jacksonisms and put thy money where thine mouth lies. Excite me, damn it. Or just be honest and tell me that you're going to make games that are pretty much similar to what we've seen for the last ten years, but different and prettier. I'm fine with that. No reason to fix what's not broken. Just be HONEST about it. There wasn't a single thing that made Wind Waker anything even remotely different an experience than Ocarina of Time... except for the sailing, which added brand new elements of tediousness and boredom, and the fact that it was insultingly easy. There wasn't anything radically different about Mario Sunshine...except that it seemed half-assed, too easy, and way too repetitive. The N64 entries of both series, to me, were far better products.

So again, let's focus on making a nice, challenging game, and worry less about ephermeral new experiences and the other new-age bullshit. Nintendo's never, ever going to have a commanding presence in the videogame market and we all know it, there's nothing that can really be done about it. But they do still have a presence, and I wish they'd make more of it, like Sega did with the Dreamcast. Dreamcast died an early death, but they friggin TRIED, dammit.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Geno - 7th January 2005

I'm not excited about E3. I haven't been for the past few years. Still, I am interested, to say the least. I would like to see what new games we have coming out this year. I'll probably mostly be buying sequals. (Last year, for example, the games I bought included Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.) So... I'd like to see what's in store for 2005, but I'm not going to shit my bed, as this thread's title suggests.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 7th January 2005

I think the only way Nintendo can stay in the business is by offering something new and unique that you can't get from the PS3 or XB2. There's no way they can beat them on that same level, so they have to offer something that you can only get on their system. I'm both excited as hell and afraid as hell about the Revolution.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Dark Jaguar - 7th January 2005

I'm not exactly thrilled about E3, even though the last time I saw a game exhibition I saw frickin' Zelda: The Awesoming. Not sure why...

Oh and Weltall, you have about the same opinion as I do. This generation really didn't offer anything unique or new. Not a bad thing except that's what they promised. Wind Waker and Sunshine were good games, games I'm glad to have as part of my collection, but yes I do agree their N64 counterparts are superior. Mario 64, which I just got done playing again, with 30 more stars, amazingly fun new levels and challenges, and a HORRIBLE control system (don't listen to the post signs, you CAN'T control Mario and the gang with that touch screen!). Despite the control issues, I still really got into it again, more so than Sunshine. A water gun is not innovation, and when you sacrifice all those other cool powerups for it... Flying beats dashing across the water any day really (yes, that was fun, just not as fun). Wind Waker was fun, but insultingly easy yes. They literally told you exactly how to solve the puzzles! I don't care what idiots they were catering to, I want a challenge! OOT wasn't the most brain numbing of puzzle games, but it was still hard at times and you actually got to think. On one issue I differ though, I actually enjoyed sailing around to get from place to place. Sure, didn't do much, but I long for the sea so for me it was fun. Not so much when the destination just involved throwing a grappling hook into the water and moving on mind you, but when it's to get to a distant island and get off and explore? Yeah that was fun, and when the sea grew stormy and suddenly st. elmo's fire and then a ship appears off in the distance and the creepy music? That was frickin' awesome... OOT still beats it though.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Lord Shockwave - 7th January 2005

I'll be blunt: I haven't been excited about games for a long time. I try to be, but nowadays, the only thing that gets me somewhat exicted is the Game Boy Advance. Certain games across the various platforms arouse my interest every once in a while, and I mean a GREAT while, but it's like the fun is gone. I thought it was nolstalgia, or maybe some drug-induced flashback, but I'm seeing the same sentiment expressed here, of all places. I lurk every now and again, so it's good to see some familiar faces.

I talked with some of my hardcore gaming friends, and I guess it has something to do with the time frame, because these teenagers love their PS2, Xboxes and Gamecubes. I don't blame them: I guess maybe it is nolstalgia.

Am I nuts? :graphics:

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 8th January 2005

Nah, everyone goes through that once in a while. And that'll happen if you don't know what to look out for. You gotta stay away from the usual recycled crap and play stuff like Katamari Damashii, ICO, Prince of Persia (The Sands of Time, not Warrior Within), and Beyond Good and Evil. Then look out for stuff like Wanda and the Collosus and your gaming appetite will once again be renewed. I'd be totally sick of games if I didn't look out for the more original stuff.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - EdenMaster - 8th January 2005

You're right, Ryan. I want so, so badly, for the next Nintendo system to absolutely blow me away with innovation. However, that is also what I expected of the GameCube. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cube, but I'm saddened by the fact that when I look at my collection, many of my favorite games are simply sequels or remakes. SSB Melee, Resident Evil, SMS, Mario Party, Wind Waker, Soul Calibur II, F-Zero GX, MK: DD, MGS: TTS, Paper Mario.

I will agree with the sentiment that no great technological leaps were made, but I will say that Nintendo did have a few gems through its life. Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, and Animal Crossing to state a few examples.

Trust me, if Revolution itself only has sequels to these games, I'll be happy. A new Smash Bros is a personal dream of mine :D. I'll enjoy the sequels and remakes on Revolution as much as I enjoy them on GameCube, but I can still hope for that next big thing that will change gaming, it's just that I've been let down on that promise by Nintendo before, and I'm not entirely sure I won't be disappointed again.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Great Rumbler - 8th January 2005

Don't forget about Odama! *crosses fingers*

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - The Former DMiller - 8th January 2005

I went through the "I don't like games anymore" phase, but I've found that not reading every bit of information on games I come across on the internet helps me to not buy into all of the hype. It is much better when I am surprised by great games than let down by them.

As for Nintendo, I would be happy just to see them remain a niche company in the videogame market. I don't need them to be #1 to be happy with their games. If they become a company like Apple which focuses on providing superior products to a minority of the market I think they would be best served.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Lord Shockwave - 8th January 2005

DMiller, you're right, because let's be honest: there's no way in hell they're going to topple either Sony or Microsoft in the market and having a niche in the market while they stack their cash is good enough for me. They blew that chance with the N64, and even though I love the system to this day, I can't help but wonder. Oh well.

As far as the usual recycled crap goes, OB1, you probably hit the nail on the head. I try to play these games all of these reviewers go ga-ga over, but can't bring myself to enjoy them. Yeah, technically, they're great, but sometimes, I wonder if those two weeks I spent over the holidays playing Road Rash 2 weren't so bad after all.

I've been feeling this way for a while, so I don't think it's just a phase. Violin

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 8th January 2005

You just have to look into different games. I suggest you go out and rent or buy Katamari Damashii, ICO, and Beyond Good and Evil, and if none of those do anything for you then well... perhaps you just need to take a nice long break from games.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2005

Then get used games for older systems? :)

Everybody wants prostetic foreheads on their real heads!

Anyway, to add to OB1's list I'd also suggest Metal Gear Solid 2, if you haven't played it already, and Pikmin 2 [a much better game than the original].

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 8th January 2005

Pikmin 2 has a fun multiplayer mode.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - big guy - 8th January 2005

WoW is fun

(that's World of Warcraft for those of you "uninitiated")

Quote:WoW is fun

If you can find a copy of it.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - EdenMaster - 8th January 2005

Great Rumbler Wrote:Everybody wants prostetic foreheads on their real heads!

I don't. I want a rock to wind a piece of string around :D

Everyone needs to hang on tighter just to keep from being thrown to the wolves!!

Minimum wage!!

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - EdenMaster - 9th January 2005

FINGERTIPS...

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Great Rumbler - 9th January 2005

Women and Men!

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 9th January 2005

WoW isn't hard to find, what's hard is justifying it costing as much per year as a good three or four to eight (depending on price) other games combined...

Yes, it is actually hard to find. One of my brother's friends called all the stores in a 30 mile radius looking for ONE COPY, which he in fact did not find. He did get one eventually though.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 9th January 2005

... I thought that there weren't any game stores in a 30 mile radius where you live...

Didn't you say that you have to drive down to Texas to find stores and movie theaters and stuff?

Quote:Didn't you say that you have to drive down to Texas to find stores and movie theaters and stuff?

The good ones. The only movie theater in the county I live in is a 5 screen theater that's really old and you're in danger every second you spend in that place. Plus there aren't too many good stores in Durant, except Wal-Mart, Gamestop, and some pawnshops. But, if I want to got to any good stores I have to go to Texas.

Quote:... I thought that there weren't any game stores in a 30 mile radius where you live...

The two towns in Texas that I go to are both less than 30 miles away. :)

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 9th January 2005

Ah.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Darunia - 9th January 2005

I hope there's something good at E3 this year. My interest in videogames has been ebbing since the N64 went out, and aside from a few titles, the GC hasn't done much for me. Maybe, if my prayers to the Videogame Gods are answered--this year will be different.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Weltall - 9th January 2005

I still need to play Silent Hill 4.

Really? Knowing you, that's surprising. I'd have thought you'd send Konami substantial bribes to get a pre-release copy.

I'm somewhat ashamed of the number of games I own that I have yet to finish. Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures, RE Zero, Metroid Prime, Prince of Persia, Pikmin 2...and that's just GameCube! I've got my share of PS2 games that I've yet to see the endings of as well.

The ironic thing is, some games that I do complete, I tend to enjoy so much that I play and beat them again. Final Fantasy X, Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, and Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes to state a few examples.

Long story short, I suppose even if Nintendo doesn't do anything to catch my interest, I've got plenty of making up to do on the GC :)

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Weltall - 9th January 2005

I simply don't have time to devote to it. However, I tried looking for a rental copy last night, to no avail.

That's because you're too busy being a player and dating every woman in the Richmond area simultaneously.

Don't get me wrong. It's a sweet deal :D

You just have to remember your priorities.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 10th January 2005

You mean games should come first, right EM? :)

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - EdenMaster - 10th January 2005

I think the choice of videogames and girlfriends should be decided on a case-by-case basis. Spend too much time with one and the other will get mad (haven't you ever talked to Animal Crossing townsfolk after you've been gone for a while? They're not happy :) )

It's a delicate balance, but if weighed carefully, can lead to happiness for all parties involved :D

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - The Former DMiller - 10th January 2005

Oh crap. I forgot all about Animal Crossing. I'd be afraid to show my face in that town again. Tom Nook is probably waiting in my house with a meat cleaver.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Great Rumbler - 10th January 2005

Tom Nook: *chop* *chop* Thank you for your business! *deposits meat cleaver in mysteriously large pocket*

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - lazyfatbum - 10th January 2005

Wow... you guys all sound really sour about Nintendo. I've had an awesome time with my GC. It was ground breaking for 4 things I can think of:

1.) The first console system from Nintendo to use optical disks and the first console system use Mini DVD's.

2.) The first 128 bit home console.

3.) The first system to introduce wireless analog controllers

4.) The first system to introduce handheld to console connectivity and interactivity

On N64 we could download info from a GB game to a N64 game, but with GC and GBA we could not only swap data but now in real time, use the GBA as a controller and interact with games in a new way, like the Tingle Tuner or how it was used in FFCC. It's things like the above that I think Nintendo was refering to when they said "experience games in a new way and offer new ideas." with the GC. I dont think they were refering to Mario Sunshine or WW.

Although Mario Sunshine didn't innovate as much as it did improve upon the platforming genre in its structure and coding, it's interesting to note that many platformers, since the inception of Mario Sunshine's water gun, have implemented a simmilar toolfor their games.

Wind Waker gave us GBA connectivity like no other game or system out there could provide, it is the very first Zelda game to offer co-op play.

Luigi's Mansion is often critisized for being too short but it is the first of it's kind. A survival horror game for all ages and Nintendo's first venture in to the genre, leading to their collaboration with Silicon Knights to create Eternal Darkness.

Eternal Darkness is not only the first Nintendo produced game to carry an M rating, but it's also a game that is serious and mature. Truely mature and not blood guts and cursing "mature", but actually dealing with issues for the characters that most kids wouldn't be able to follow. A game made with adults in mind with Nintendo's name on it. Hopefully, Nintendo will offer us more of that, but the first system Nintendo tries it out with is the GC.

Then we have Animal Crossing which puts most of the 'Life sims' out there to shame and the sequel will no doubt have some kind of on-line interface of which, I think, will play a grand part in Nintendo's entire online interface. It is also probably the most interactive game to date.

Then the Pikmin series which meshed action, adventure, real time strategy, platforming and puzzle in to a seamless, highly addictive package. A game series that arguably gave us a completely brand new experience.

Then there's Nintendo's joint venture with Retro in the creation of Metroid Prime. The first Metroid game in like 12 years. It used first person shooting ideas in the vein of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but then overhauled it with Samus's abilities and trademarks and presented it with a mixture of adventure, action and puzzles. Something that you'd be hard pressed to find in most shooters that are, for the most part, void of substance. It introduced a new term to the real time video game vocabulary as well; the First Person Adventure game.

There's another dozen games or so that should be mentioned but these and other titles are extremely important to the entire industry as they're changing the way serious game writers think of how the game will be played and interacted with. They are highly polished, quality games that deserve recognition.

Do you think Sony would have gone through with marketing their Taiko Drum game in America if they hadn't watched Nintendo's success with Donkey Konga both here and in Japan? Why do you think both Sony and Microsoft are putting extremely high bids on "kiddie" platformers? We watched Sony and Microsoft try and fail in delivering a mascot character for all ages and they cant grab a hold of any of the 'for all ages' market.

Both those companies know that their core audience are people who want a quick fix of something extreme and "mature". Games that dont have to be highly polished, they can be 'just okay' but offer a "mature" appeal and it will be consumed by the audiences but for how long before people grow bored of it because of a lack of substance? You can play any 20 year old Nintendo game and still enjoy it, can the same be said about every Microsoft or Playstation title? Not in the least, I think.

That's the whole reason I keep coming back to Nintendo. It's that level of quality in the games. Think about it, it's a system that can make money and be a large contender in a global market based off of Nintendo of Japan's games alone!

But yeah, the Gamecube (like the N64) has failed to grab the #1 spot. Though, for a time, the GC was #1. But it didn't last. It's important to gain that #1 spot so that we can have the best of both worlds; the best in house and 2nd party games and ALL that 3rd party stuff.

The 3rd party game is what make or break or system, becase it's the 3rd party games that, though they might be less in quality or design, usually bring a new idea to the table. Nothing dramatically different, but new all the same. And slowly, over the lifespan of a console or even consoles, can create some really awesome games. The games you can show to your grandkids. This is true for both 3rd party and Nintendo in house games. But without those 3rd party games, we're forced to hear one side.

I am so fucking excited about E3, I cant wait to see what will be shown... I hope Earthbound is being planned for GBA or even DS. And even if it's not playable yet, new pictures, movies and info on the next Zelda game, Starfox Armada and Mario 128. But the real deal is the Revolution. All i'm hoping for is a 30 second clip of game demos showing off what the Revolution can do and I have a feeling i'll get more than that... but i'm staying conservative. :D

In the back of my mind, i'm imagining Miyamoto opening a box marked 'Revolution' and the lights go out... and all you can see is Link where Miyamoto was standing, opening a treasure chest. The light from inside the chest filling the room and that fammiliar music is playing. The lights come back on and Miyamoto is holding a tiny plug and yells in a loud Japanese engrish: "Nintendo Brain Plug!" A video game device that fits in to your brain and lets you PLAY your DREAMS as VIDEO GAMES. *faints*

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 10th January 2005

Quote:Do you think Sony would have gone through with marketing their Taiko Drum game in America if they hadn't watched Nintendo's success with Donkey Konga both here and in Japan?

Taiko Drum Master came out around the same time as Donkey Konga. Donkey Konga is actually based off of Taiko Drum Master and made by the same people.

Overall I agree with most of your post, lazy (though some of the things you listed were a bit odd, like mini-dvds and the failed gba connectivity). I've had a huge amount of fun with the GC and consider it to be a greater success than the N64. It's amazing how easily people can forget all of the bad and just remember the good. The N64 had some great games--no doubt about it--but they were very few and far between and the system lacked many key genre games. Barely any rpgs, no good regular racers, and just plain abysmal third-party support. Say what you will about the GC but the system has had a far more frequent stream of quality titles than the N64 ever had, even if a lot of them are multiconsole ports. And I think a lot of people here don't appreciate that because most of us own more than one console, unlike during the N64 era when a lot of us only had one current-gen system. So people just care about the exclusives, unfortunately. Though even then there are plenty of options. Eternal Darkness, Viewtiful Joe (for a whole year), Metroid Prime (my favorite Nintendo game since Super Metroid) & Echoes, Pikmin 1 & 2, Animal Crossing, the Rogue Leader games, F-Zero GX, Mario Tennis & Golf, Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, Mario Kart DD, Paper Mario 2, Resident Evil 4, Smash Bros., Wave Race, etc.

I've also preferred most of the new franchise iterations over the N64 ones. F-Zero GX is so much better than F-Zero X, Mario Power Tennis is better than Mario Tennis 64, Paper Mario 2 is a nice improvement over the N64 game, Mario Kart, well... the single-player has better track design than MK 64's. Wind Waker, while being too easy, was an incredibly satisfying experience for me and I come back to it more often than I do with OoT. Mario Sunshine, which everyone complains about because it's a bit "un-Mario-like", is my favorite 3D platformer ever. True, Mario 64 has more diverse levels, but Mario Sunshine's level design destroys M64's, and the incredibly tight, fast, and acrobatic controls of Sunshine (thanks largely to the versatile water pack "gimmicks") make it far more fun to simply fool around with. Sunshine also features the coolest, most difficult, old-school styled mini-levels ever featured in a 3D platformer before, and I would instantly buy a Mario game filled with just more of those types of levels. Everyone likes to complain about the water packs because they're so different for a Mario game, but I can't think of any other Mario power-up that made controlling Mario so much fun. The water packs are there to give the player more stuff to do when they control Mario, and when you get good enough at controlling them the game reaches Tony Hawk-levels of confidence and freedom. Going back to Mario 64 after playing so much of Sunshine is like going from being an Olympic gymnast to a special olympics gymnast (slight exaggeration). But hey, that's just me. The rest of you can go back to complaining about the new games. :)

I'm extremely excited about the Revolution.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - lazyfatbum - 10th January 2005

The Taiko drum game is being made by the same company? Am I mistaken or was Donkey Konga made by Nintendo?

And I know it came out the same time in Japan, but usually those "weird" games never see the light of day over here.

Why do you consider the Mini-DVD's and the GBA connectivity as odd or failed?

The connectivity, well, It's difficult to push something like that because you're telling people they need two different systems with two different games and a cable to hook it up and THEN you need to perform special tasks set by the game(s) to unlock those features. So it's a pain. But the DS is wireless so it should be easier now.

And the Mini DVD's were a great way to combat the loading time issues.

Donkey Konga is not made by Nintendo. Who was it... Namco? Maybe, I'm not certain.

Quote:Why do you consider the Mini-DVD's and the GBA connectivity as odd or failed?

The mini-DVDs can be called a failure because they led to many third party complaints and some games with reduced feature sets. They did have the good side-effects of greatly reducing piracy and being different, but perhaps the negatives are greater. I don't know, I don't mind the smaller size. Only a couple of games really were affected and I think that laziness was as much a factor there as anything else...

GBA connectivity is a more clearcut case. It was a failure. The connectivity-focused games didn't sell too well. The connectivity features in other games were annoying or mostly unused. It just didn't do too well... and for good reason! It's a very expensive proposition! I mean, you are requiring people to buy $100 controllers essentially... that is not a good marketing strategy...

It also has other problems. You're using a controller running on batteries so you have to worry about that. Yes, the SP can be charged, but you can't run the charger at the same time that the GC cable is connected, annoyingly... it also requires special cables and for the best titles (Zelda FSA and FFCC) requires a GBA and cable for every player. That's a very high standard that most people will never experience.

As for the GC... I don't know. I never have felt like it quite matches up to the N64. Wind Waker is great, but OoT was better... Mario Sunshine? It is very close quality-wise to Mario 64 but Mario 64 was so innovative and amazing at the time (and still holds up so well) that I'd have to give it the edge. F-Zero is also hard... both versions, again, are great... but as awesome as GX is (and it is awesome!) I think that X is probably still a better game, by a tiny margin. Though I'd probably rather just say that they are even. :)

Wave Race is good on Cube but is too similar to the N64 one. Smash Brothers, though, is definitely better on the Cube. But these comparisons are hard... the biggest difference is not quality. The biggest difference is innovation. A lot of Nintendo's cube games are just upgraded versions of N64 games, while a lot of their N64 titles were quite innovative. That's the key difference... but on the other hand, can they help it? After all, the N64 had reason to be innovative with its 3d capabilities! The Cube just builds on that by making everything more powerful but it's not a revolutionary concept (and indeed for the time being it's hard to think of what future concept could be as big to gaming as 3d was) so of course the games are not either.

And one result of that? Thinking higher of the ones that were innovative than the new ones that, while great, just do what was done before as well or better.

Quote:The Taiko drum game is being made by the same company? Am I mistaken or was Donkey Konga made by Nintendo?

Donkey Konga was made by Namco.

Quote:And I know it came out the same time in Japan, but usually those "weird" games never see the light of day over here.

Namco has been releasing a bunch of odd (but extremely awesome) games that you'd never expect to get released here, like Katamari Damashii. Taiko Drum Master is nowhere near as weird as that game.

Quote:Why do you consider the Mini-DVD's and the GBA connectivity as odd or failed?

The mini-dvds were not a failure, they're just not what I'd consider a positive point for the GC. Yes they're cute and small... but they also hold just a fraction of what PS2 and XB discs can hold.

Connectivity was a massive failure, come on. There's a reason why Nintendo has completely dropped the idea--only a few games used it well. It was a lame gimmick, like the E-Card reader. It was neat in Four Swords but still not really needed (not to mention the fact that it made the game sell poorly). It was a hindrance, having to use $100 controllers for games.

Quote:And the Mini DVD's were a great way to combat the loading time issues.

The GC discs do not make things load faster. They're pretty much just shortened dvds. They're 5 gig dvds cut down to 1.5 gigs. The load times were faster than most games because Nintendo has excellent programmers, and because of the GC's superior RAM (to the PS2).

Doesn't the smaller size give a small loading advantage?

How does that make sense to you? It's just like only using 1.5 GB of a 5 or 9 GB dvd.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 11th January 2005

Because it has less width to cover? :)

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 11th January 2005

I don't think that really matters, unless whoever organized the data put everything in a retarded order.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - lazyfatbum - 11th January 2005

Nintendo's entire claim to the Mini DVD's is that they're difficult to pirate and have a quicker load time.

I didn't know Donkey Konga was made by Namco. We got it for my buddy on Christmas and played it for a few days and I never noticed it said Namco.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - OB1 - 11th January 2005

Yeah it was based off of their Drum Master series. It was announced in the very first press release: http://cube.ign.com/articles/432/432614p1.html Developed by Namco under the supervision of Nintendo, just like Star Fox Assault. Nintendo has a great relationship with Namco right now. First Pacman Vs., then SC II, then Konga, and now SFA. Pretty awesome.

The piracy thing is true, but the whole load time thing doesn't make any sense. Like I said, it's basically just a cut down dvd.

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - Dark Jaguar - 11th January 2005

<embed src="http://www.homestarrunner.com/peasantsquest61.swf" quality="high" loop="false" menu="false" bgcolor="#000000" width="800" height="600"</embed>

Shit the bed! COUNTDOWN to E3! - A Black Falcon - 11th January 2005

But Cube games do seem to have shorter loading times than games on the other consoles and I doubt that it's all because of better programming, so there must be some truth to it...