Tendo City
Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! (/showthread.php?tid=2430)

Pages: 1 2

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - UltraMarioMan - 19th December 2004

Eleventy Kagillion!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 19th December 2004

Only one billion years, 2 months, 1 week, 3 days, 55 minutes, and 12 seconds!!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Dark Jaguar - 19th December 2004

Countdown: Never days to go!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - alien space marine - 19th December 2004

When Jesus returns!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

http://www.apogee1.com/index.shtml

It is the out right now!!!111?? .. hehe 3DRealms is cruel... :D

If Duke Nuken Forever came out today I would personally have a heart attack.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Undertow - 19th December 2004

Oh ultramario, you always postin' things.

Yeah, he does that a lot.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

The headline on their site says "Duke Nukem Forever Released"... :D

(of course it isn't the game (it's a fan video), but as I said they are cruel... :))

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 20th December 2004

That must be awesome working at 3d realms, getting payed for ten years to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 20th December 2004

Yeah, it would be, wouldn't it...

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 20th December 2004

Once I get out of college I'm going to work for 3D Realms as the VP of Marketing...doing absolutely nothing!! And getting paid to do it!!

3DRealms advertises! ... once a year ... with a forum post about how they are actually working on DNF ... and another excuse for why it isn't done yet. :D

I'd just type up enough for several years when I'm bored sometime and then save them on my computer until they're needed.

All you would have to do is go to their office and pretend to do "work" like playing their competitors' games to get a list of every feature your game doesn't have yet so you can increase the list of excuses why the game isn't out yet to include all of those features too...

It's not playing, it's RESEARCH.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - alien space marine - 20th December 2004

I had better save up money so my grand children can buy the game!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 21st December 2004

Right, "research"...

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Sacred Jellybean - 21st December 2004

What's their latest excuse?

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 21st December 2004

They haven't said anything in a few months, but last I heard they were saying that they were working on it okay but they had pretty much fully restarted the project about two years ago so it wasn't done yet... we had a thread about it, I think...

Oh yeah, see, it's done! :)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/206621

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 21st December 2004

Hehe

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - UltraMarioMan - 22nd December 2004

Forty Zillion!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 22nd December 2004

Fifty Bazillionmillion!!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - UltraMarioMan - 29th December 2004

Infinity plus 2!

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 29th December 2004

That's just weak, dude.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 29th December 2004

"If this is your idea of an apology, UMM... that's just weak."

[Image: itsdifferentthaniexpected.gif]

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - UltraMarioMan - 31st December 2004

WHAT DID I DO!! *cries*

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 31st December 2004

I'll just play Half-Life 2 instead of waiting for DNF.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 31st December 2004

Anyone saving money for DNF instead of buying other games is foolish, no matter how big a fan of the game they are. :)

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - alien space marine - 31st December 2004

Anyone who started saving in 1998 now has enough money to get a college degree.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Great Rumbler - 31st December 2004

Anyone saving since then would probably have enough to make their own version of Duke Nukem Forever.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Dark Jaguar - 31st December 2004

I'm not even looking forward to that game at all actually. That's what's so funny about the eternally delayed game to me. I hated Duke 3D and honestly never even played any Duke games after that, though I also never heard they were AAA must have titles anyway. Honestly I have no real motivation to get this new one at all. Now excuse me. I must extract my hidden plastic explosive molar and escape from this cell excuse me.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 31st December 2004

Duke 3D was the best fps of its time. Pretty much.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 1st January 2005

Except for Jedi Knight I (still the best FPS ever!). And Half-Life. And probably some more games. But yeah, Duke 3D was pretty good...

As for Duke 1 and 2, they are fun sidescrollers. Not as good as Commander Keen, but solid games that are pretty fun... especially the second one, that's a pretty good action/platformer.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Dark Jaguar - 1st January 2005

Maybe Duke3d was good for it's time or something, but really I found all FPS games to be rather boring until Goldeneye.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 1st January 2005

A Black Falcon Wrote:Except for Jedi Knight I (still the best FPS ever!). And Half-Life. And probably some more games. But yeah, Duke 3D was pretty good...

Yeah because Jedi Knight and Half-Life came out at around the same time as Duke 3D, which contradicts my statement.

:screwy:

Not Half-Life, but Jedi Knight wasn't TOO long after (fall 1997)...

Duke 3D was better than everything before it, that is true, though. And I said that because I didn't play Duke 3D until after JK and the Half-Life demo, so for me it's a perfectly fair comparison... Duke 3D is definitely better than Doom, anyway, and it's probably better than Quake too (though I'd be basing that just on the Quake shareware).

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 1st January 2005

Jedi Knight used a modified Quake engine, so it definitely came out a while after it (Quake was released around the same time as D3D).

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Dark Jaguar - 1st January 2005

Around the same time as Duke 3D, about a million clones came out, and honestly I really couldn't tell the difference. Let's see, there was "Redneck Rampage", um, and this one game called "Shadow Warrior". Shadow Warrior had one thing the others didn't, a nuclear warhead that could destroy half the level, literally. Why don't they put weapons like that in games any more? :D

OB1, Jedi Knight 1 runs on its own engine. DEFINITELY not Quake. Quake III does power JK2 and JK3, but JK1 is a better and more original game which has its own engine and uses it to its utmost to make great levels -- Quake quite simply cannot make the kinds of expansive outdoor areas and massive levels (size and length) that you will find in JK. It also does not have an onscreen automap capability or a full 3d automap in the pause screen, etc, etc... its engine definitely has nothing to do with Quake.

Duke 3D: January 1996
Quake: May 1996

Jedi Knight: September 1997

So yes, it was later. It came out close to when Quake II did, not Quake I... but if we're talking about the great FPSes I think it has to be mentioned. :)

DJ, those two games came out later than Duke 3D. They did both use the same engine (the Build engine), but they came out over the next couple of years...

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 2nd January 2005

Wait that's right, I always say that because the game was originally going to use Quake technology but they decided against it. All of the other Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games use id technology.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 2nd January 2005

Sorry, but I think that Dark Forces also has its own engine. It looks like Doom, true, but it's not. It's got real 3d -- rooms above rooms, etc -- things the doom engine quite simply cannot do. And it's not the Quake engine because it was out before Quake and has sprite-based characters. So no, the Lucasarts FPSes have their own engines. Only the Raven ones use ID engines.

Not according to some.

Quote:The magazine PC Games Plus Global reported that "apparently LucasArts confessed to Jay Wilbur of id that they had ripped apart the DOOM engine to assemble Dark Forces."

A lot of devs did stuff like that back then. So while it doesn't officially use id technology, it was most likely based off of it.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 2nd January 2005

But it wasn't the Doom engine... not really... it was so much more powerful! Much better 3d environments, multi-level buildings, etc... Dark Forces was a pretty good game. It only really had two flaws: That you can't save in mission (a big flaw which makes it very, very hard), and that you don't get a lightsaber. JKII fixed both problems. :)

It was apparently based off of the Doom technology. That's what we call heavily-modified engines.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 3rd January 2005

I've never heard that it was based off Doom technology before and it certainly wasn't acknowledged so do you have any proof of that?

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 3rd January 2005

Yeah some PC magazine that I don't feel like sourcing.

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - Private Hudson - 4th January 2005

Source it!

Go on.. DO IT!

Or are you too scared???

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - OB1 - 4th January 2005

I just don't care...

Countdown to Duke Nukem Forever!! - A Black Falcon - 4th January 2005

Even if that is true Dark Forces does enough things Doom didn't that I'm sure it's mostly an original engine. And JK (DFII) is definitely running on its own engine.