Tendo City
I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... (/showthread.php?tid=2411)

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 13th December 2004

Because EA just bought exclusive rights to make videogames using the NFL teams. Oh, and to the players and stadiums. And stats. For the next five years.

http://sports.ign.com/articles/572/572886p1.html

Quote:Only Game in Town
EA secures exclusive rights to NFL video games.
December 13, 2004 - Just when you thought ESPN Videogames was catching up, in one move, they've never been farther behind. Electronic Arts announced today an exclusive licensing agreement with the National Football League and Players Inc. to develop, publish, and distribute interactive football games. These agreements give EA the exclusive rights to the NFL teams, stadiums, and players for use in its football video games for the next five years.

You read that right…exclusive rights to the NFL teams, stadiums, and players.

Meaning no ESPN NFL 2K6, no more NFL GameDay, and bye-bye NFL Blitz. All football fans will be left with are Madden, NFL Street, and a new unannounced football management game that is in the works from, you guessed it, EA Sports.

"All of our data shows that there is a huge market for manager-style games," said Jeff Brown, Director of Corporate Communications for Electronic Arts, "and you could see a new type of football game from EA."

The agreement also provides the opportunity for new games and for EA to access both NFL Films and the NFL Network for use in the games.

"We are pleased to expand our agreement with Electronic Arts, the leading video game manufacturer and a valued NFL partner," said NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue. "We look forward to working with EA to continue to enhance the quality of NFL video games that our fans have enjoyed for many years."

"For more than a decade, EA has produced the most authentic football product for fans of the game" said Players Inc. Chairman Gene Upshaw. "This exclusive relationship will maximize the value of NFL players through EA's continued commitment to bring fans closer to the game."

"We are excited about the opportunity to further enhance our relationship with the NFL and Players Inc." said Larry Probst, Chairman and CEO of Electronic Arts. "The five-year agreements will usher NFL fans through the console technology transition with new ideas and innovative game play experiences."

The agreement covers consoles, PC, and handheld systems, as well as console online features. The agreement does not include other games available on the Internet or wireless devices, including cellular phones.

"We (EA) have proposed exclusivity several times in the past, but this year, in the spring the NFL had an off-site meeting, and they decided to consider bids for exclusivity," Brown told IGN in an exclusive interview. "Several bids were submitted but they accepted EA's. I cannot tell you how much this cost, but exclusivity is expensive, we are paying a premium. It wasn't cheap. I can tell you this, though, all parties all happy with this agreement, and Wall Street seems happy with it too."

Brown continued: "Look at what else EA has done, look at FIFA, PGA Golf Tour and NASCAR, we have exclusivity rights for all those licenses as well."

"The reason that you're noticing a certain vagueness to the language in the press release is because the license deals do not include smaller games such as Atari's Backyard Football; it's not subject to this agreement due to their numbers. And any wireless game or cell phone game is not part of the deal either."

Also not part of the deal are, obviously, non-licensed football games. The first company to come forward to IGN with such a game is Midway, makers of classic sports titles like NFL Blitz and NBA Jam.

Midway has hired the writer of the show "Playmakers" to develop a new title, Blitz: Playmakers. The game will feature everything the NFL hated about the TV show, including drug use, and off-the-field habits the NFL likes to pretend never happens.

According to an interview earlier this year with Street & Smith's Sports Business Journal, an NFL spokesperson confirmed that they were through working with Midway: "Midway has been quietly dropped in a 'mutual decision' as an NFL video game licensee after years of controversy over the level of violence in its NFL Blitz game."

When IGN contacted Midway about the rumored Blitz: Playmakers, a spokesperson confirmed the game's existence and told us: "Enough of the 'No Fun League'…it's now time to talk about and prepare for the game the NFL wouldn't let anyone make…Blitz the way it should be played."

The first image of Blitz: Playmakers. (below)

Whether or not ESPN, 989, and Microsoft follow Midway's lead and develop football games without the license remains to be seen.

On a scarier note for these same publishers, rumors are already circulating that EA is attempting to negotiate similar deals with the NBA and Major League Baseball. When IGN contacted Trudy Muller, spokesperson for Electronic Arts about these rumors, she told us: "We cannot speculate at this time about any further plans these other leagues may have."

An ominous sign for sports game publishers everywhere to say the least.

Check back to IGN Sports for the latest on this genre-shattering deal.

[Image: game-over-20041213042423004-000.jpg]

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Weltall - 13th December 2004

FUCK

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 14th December 2004

Yay!*

*Sarcasm. NFL Blitz rules.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2004

I wonder if this Blitz: Playmakers is a real game... sounds different at least. Killing ESPN is too bad, but I kind of bet that Blitz's NFL liscence would have been killed anyway because of the violence...

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - OB1 - 14th December 2004

Man... this makes me hate EA more than ever. I've known for years how extremely poorly they treat their employees and only recently have a bunch of them come forth about it, and now they're doing the lowest, dirtiest thing a company can do by basically securing their monopoly over the market. The Madden games already outsell the ESPN series by a very wide margin (even with the $20 price tag of the sega games), but apparently the fact that there is any competition is not acceptable to EA. This is going to kill Sega's football franchise, no doubt about it. And without competition it means that gamers will get inferior, overpriced football games from EA. Nice one, video game industry. Nice one.

Imagine how much more pissed I'd be if I actually liked football games.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/12/14/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/

Good article. Read it. Rumor is that EA paid at least $300 million for this deal...

Oh, and did you know that EA already has exclusive liscences to the PGA Tour, FIFA, and NASCAR? I knew about NASCAR (it was one of the main reasons Papyrus died -- they had to stop making NASCAR games), but I hadn't remembered about those other two...

Don't be surprised if they try this with more sports...

Quote:Imagine how much more pissed I'd be if I actually liked football games.

Which is why I'm more concerned about them getting the MLB liscence. Yes, the state of baseball games is down with the death of 3D0 (say what you will but High Heat was a great franchise) and Acclaim (All-Star Baseball was consistently rated highly), but EA's are just so bad, and so unrealistic, that it'd be awful... sure, I don't buy baseball games either, but at least I've played some and know I enjoy them. :)

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Smoke - 14th December 2004

PlanetGameCube

" In light of EA's shocking news, Midway has decided to continue production of their Blitz football series, without an NFL license. What this means is that none of the teams or players featured in the NFL will show up in Midway's new Blitz game.

Without the draw created by real teams and players, Midway is taking a different approach to the new Blitz title. They've gone out and hired the writer of the fan-favorite ESPN show Playmakers to craft a story for this new Blitz title. The game will be appropriately titled, Blitz: Playmakers. Midway is hoping the draw of the Playmakers name (while short-lived) will get people to play this new game.

The Blitz name has come under fire from the NFL in the past for being too violent. In fact, an NFL spokesperson has mentioned that they were not going to re-sign with Midway this year. The NFL has also spoken out against Playmakers. The two licenses are a natural fit with each other. Blitz: Playmakers will feature everything the TV show did, including drug use and the not so nice off-field behavior some of the players exhibit."

Yeah, that's basically a copy of the last three or four paragraphs of the article I posted. :)

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Weltall - 14th December 2004

I DO love football games! I LOVE ESPN FOOTBALL. I LIKE DAN STEVENS AND PETER O'KEEFE, WHO MAKES JOKES ABOUT EATING AT BUFFETS!

FUCK YOU JOHN MADDEN, AND YOUR TURDUCKEN TOO.

EA is exactly why I do not want to work for a big developer. If anyone has a chance of killing the industry, it's EA.

If I were to ever buy a football game I'd get an NCAA one, though. I'd like to play as my school's team. :D

And yeah the whole Fifa business is just as bad. There are so many better soccer games out there than EA's FIFA series, but because it's the only one with the proper teams it sells the best.

Nintendo, please make a Mario Football and Mario Basketball with Sega! I would totally buy a good Mario football or b-ball game.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 14th December 2004

You know what would be funny? If people stopped buying Madden and bought the other, non-sponsered football games and EA last a bunch of money. Of course if they lost of bunch of money they'd probably kill of Maxis or something to make up the loss. :(

or space.

Yeah, it is better with the real players, definitely. Which is why Madden will blow away any non-liscenced competition... FIFA does have a solid challenger from Konami though, even without the real teams, but I don't see that happening with Madden...

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 16th December 2004

2003:

NFL: Midway, tone down the violence in your game!

Midway: No!

NFL: Do or we kill your liscence!

Midway: If we must...

*Midway develops NFL Blitz Pro, with greatly cut back violence*

*Blitz Pro sells badly*

Sega: Ha ha EA, selling our game at $20 we made a dent in your money printing machine!

EA: We'll get you, Sega... we'll get you... *walks off mumbling*

2004:

Midway: We want more violence and action in the game, it's what makes Blitz Blitz!

NFL: No!

*Midway makes no football game in '04*

NFL: We want money! Exclusive contract selling now, asking only several hundred million dollars!

EA: Okay! How about $300 million?

Sega: Nooooo! Uh... will you take less?

NFL: No. EA wins.

Sega: (probably thinks) Well, at least EA doesn't have exclusive NCAA rights yet...

Midway: We didn't want your stupid rules anyway! *hires person behind Playmakers to make a new Blitz game*

So... what will we get, a football game where you have to manage your players' drug habits? Gotta roid them up before each game but at the right time so they don't get caught... :)

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 16th December 2004

Roid-Rage!!! *is hooked on the juice* I need it for all the heavy lefting I do at...space.

I imagine that the quality of the Madden series is gonna do down a lot with no competitors, so it's probably just a matter of time before people give up on it and look for alternatives.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - OB1 - 16th December 2004

I love it how those dickheads at EA said that "Sega could give away a free sandwich with each copy of their football game and ours will still outsell it a million to one" (paraphrasing there), but then decided to drop the rest of their sports prices to $30 and got this NFL exclusivity.

Man do I hate EA.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 16th December 2004

EA wants to be the Microsoft of videogame companies... with the end result of all of their competitors either now their employees or irrelevant (and they probably need you to survive anyway)...

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 17th December 2004

As long as EA still has Maxis I can't completely hate them, but we all know that it won't be long before they crush it utterly and send the remnats scattering to the four corners of the Earth. Not that they haven't already destroyed most of the creativity that Maxis had by forcing them to churn out tons of Sims add-ons and sequels. *still waiting for Sim City 5*

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 17th December 2004

Look at all of the awesome Maxis-like products we've gotten since EA bought Maxis! Look at all of the different and unique titles (whether successful or not) in the vein of SimTown, SimFarm, SimIsle, SimEarth, SimAnt, that SimCity helicopter game, externally developed published titles like Klik & Play, SimTower, A-Train... yes indeed...

Oh wait, they have only developed SimCity and The Sims? Oh... right. :D

On a good note, even continued success may not be enough. Note Westwood -- they were not doing badly but EA closed them and moved the few survivors to their new super-studio in LA (Westwood was in Las Vegas)...

The Sims was fun the first time, but a dozen add-ons and 2 sequels later there's just nothing left. *desperately needs Simcity 5*

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - big guy - 17th December 2004

i haven't even played sim city 4.

*goes back to playing sim city 3000*

Simcity 4 is WAY better than Simcity 3.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - big guy - 17th December 2004

that may be, but sim city 3 is awesome, so awesome in fact, that i just keep playing it, and playing it and i can't stop. so i'm in no hurry to get 5 because i haven't played 4 yet.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - alien space marine - 17th December 2004

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - alien space marine - 18th December 2004

No More John madden!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/17/news_6115293.html

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 19th December 2004

Quote:According to reports--one of which even featured video evidence--if you twist the PSP a certain way, the UMD drive opens, causing the disc to come flying out like a throwing star.

:D

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

Just file down the edges and you've got your new close-combat weapon...

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 19th December 2004

*fires GTA4 disc at ABF* *ABF is teh dead* *is teh winner*

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - A Black Falcon - 19th December 2004

You thought that was what was going to happen, but you forgot that unlike the SP and DS the PSP inserts its disks in a different direction so you hit yourself instead...

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 20th December 2004

I saw the video, it shoots away from the person that's holding the PSP. No lie.

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - OB1 - 20th December 2004

That would be cool if the UMDs shot at you. Into your eye. And popped out your eye which then flew into your mouth. Which you ate. And then you had to see your eye being digested (since it would still work). Which would then give you an amazing "second sight".

BTW what does that gamespot article say?

I Hope Football Fans Like Madden... - Great Rumbler - 20th December 2004

Quote:Rumor #2: The first batch of PSPs to hit the Japanese market was riddled with defects.

Source: Numerous sources, the most notable being Engadget.

The official story: SCEA reps directed us to SCEI reps, who were unavailable as of press time.

What we heard: According to dozens of forum posts and lower-end game sites, many of the first PSPs released suffered from a variety of defects, including "dead pixels, dead drives, analog sticks not working and even falling off, and even screens with dust and 'air bubbles,'" according to Engadget. A more-spectacular alleged problem was the so-called "Master of the Flying UMD Guillotine Trick." According to reports--one of which even featured video evidence--if you twist the PSP a certain way, the UMD drive opens, causing the disc to come flying out like a throwing star. Luckily, GameSpot can address both of these rumors head on. While in Japan last weekend, GameSpot editors did observe some PSPs with dead pixels, but did not see any evidence of the other defects. As to the flying-disc glitch, we were brave enough to use one of our precious PSP units to test the theory. We stabilized the unit with our left hand, turned forward ever so slightly with our right and--SHAZAM!--out the disc popped.

Bogus or not bogus?: "Riddled" is a bit extreme, but there were defective models. Not entirely bogus. As for the flying-disc trick: Not bogus, in our experience.