Tendo City
PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? (/showthread.php?tid=2409)

Pages: 1 2

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 10th December 2004

Quote:PlayStation Portable's tough birth
Published: December 10, 2004, 9:59 AM PST
By David Becker
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
TrackBack Print E-mail TalkBack

Sony's PlayStation Portable may ultimately live up to company promises of a "Walkman for the 21st century" that revolutionizes entertainment, but that's not going to happen next week.

The electronics giant is set to begin selling the handheld game machine in Japan on Sunday. But the PSP will arrive with a meager selection of games, none of the planned multimedia functions, a history of delays and questions about technical issues such as battery life.

Issues such as those add to Sony's challenges as it not only enters the handheld gaming market long dominated by Nintendo, but tries to define a new class of portable entertainment gadget.

"This is a really ambitious thing they're doing, talking about a combination device that's going to have competition from a number of directions," said Brian O'Rourke, an analyst for research company In-Stat/MDR. "It's going to be a real challenge for Sony to educate the market about what this can do."

Sony revealed plans for the PSP last year, positioning it as potential breakthrough machine that would do for digital media what the Walkman did for analog music.

But the PSP has been a difficult pregnancy, with Sony dogged by development and production issues that look likely to push back the device's North American introduction to late March and limit the Japan launch to 200,000 units.

Game publishers have also pushed back PSP titles, and the console will launch in Japan with only five available games. A Sony Computer Entertainment America spokesman said there are dozens more titles in development, however, and the company "is dedicated to continuing the PlayStation tradition of providing our consumers with the vast library of first- and third-party titles they have grown accustomed to."

A slim opening lineup of games shouldn't be a problem, O'Rourke said, as early adopters will snap up whatever PSP units are available the first few months.
Tackling the tech challenges
"The publicity of having a new product will carry them for a while," he said. "Then they really have to deliver the software."

While the PSP game roster is sure to grow--with dozens of titles in the works by Sony and third-party publishers--promised music and video support is less clear. As of yet, no music or movie studios, including the major ones owned by Sony, have announced plans to release content on the new Universal Media Disc (UMD) optical media format the PSP will use.

The Sony representative said "entertainment software of an entirely new category mixing game, music and video on a single UMD" disc, will be available next spring.

Schelley Olhava, an analyst for research company IDC, said that as long as the PSP has a solid game roster within a reasonable time, Sony can take its time exploiting multimedia capabilities.

"It's going to be like the PlayStation 2: People will buy it because it has games they want to play," Olhava said. "If other stuff happens, they've got time to phase it in."

The PSP will also have to solve some technical challenges, most notably concerns about battery life. Sony estimates that a fully charged PSP battery will be good for four to six hours of game playing.

But Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi acknowledged in a Japanese press interview last month that those estimates were for playing a simple puzzle or card game with the screen dimmed, speakers turned off and wireless connectivity disabled. Turn on all the bells and whistles and load up a graphically complex racing game, and the battery will drain faster. Nintendo's market-leading Game Boy Advance SP, by contrast, runs for more than 10 hours between charges.

The Sony representative said the company was confident the PSP's battery would be sufficient for most owners, but spare battery packs will be available.

200,000 units at launch, not out over here until at least March, 5 games at launch, none of the multimedia functions yet, comparitively low battery life...

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 11th December 2004

500,000 > 200,000

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Dark Jaguar - 11th December 2004

Well from the start I've taken a "let's wait and see because we don't know enough" attitude...

Well, it's just about time for the waiting to be over, for Japan anyway. A simultaneous launch is really something they should have gone for anyway, but eh, we'll see what goes down.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 11th December 2004

If they mess up on the launch they could be in trouble.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 11th December 2004

Oh, it'll sell out this 200,000 because of the very small number, but the long-term picture... I really don't know. It could go either way. But I think Nintendo will have a solid lead for at least the first six months. A big part of the PSP's success depends on how much third party support it gets and how much of that isn't just PS2 ports, I think...

What I'm saying is, if the PSP doesn't draw people in, mainly in the US, during the launch they could be in trouble. The DS is already selling like mad, and the SP isn't doing to bad either, and if the PSP only puts out a small number they might not get enough momentum going to be a threat to the DS.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 11th December 2004

They can't sell DS numbers because they don't have enough systems to sell. :)

Five launch games... similar to DS really, which had six or seven... both start with quite small lineups. But of course since it had the earlier launch the DS has a slightly larger one.

PSP vs DS is interesting because of how different the systems are. Though right now it's not as big because PSP does not have music or movies or any of that stuff yet, just games... but still, it's 'high tech with a huge screen, etc' vs 'lower tech but innovative with a touchscreen'. Very different systems, makes it hard to directly compare them... you can, but because of their big differences it's not as easy as it is for many systems.

Who will be more successful? Well Nintendo's off to a great start, at least... and I really do think that for most of the handheld-buying public the DS has a very good chance to win if Nintendo tries (which is never a sure thing...). I doubt the PSP will be taking over anytime soon... especially when you remember that the GBA will be the #1 handheld for a long time to come. :)

Quote:especially when you remember that the GBA will be the #1 handheld for a long time to come.

Too true. I'm sure GBA sells are going to drop a lot eventually, but for a time they're still going to be fairly high.

Nintendo has sold more GBAs since the DS launch than DSes...

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Dark Jaguar - 11th December 2004

The advertising for the DS has been very heavy, in comparison :D.

Another thing, the DS has had these very... well to me they are still mentally offensive "Go on, touch me, it's okay." things, but for some reason I think it'll actually get people buying them...

And the GBA, well, thanks to Square-Enix, that'll be selling pretty well this season as well. I've been seeing Kingdom Hearts commercials EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK. Now, it seems it actually supports custom borders when played on the Gameboy Player from the commericals... I've also seen a lot of Final Fantasy 1&2 commercials. They are classic "who are you?" affair, as opposed to some aloof person in the background talking about "the legend" while showing off the story aspects of the game (with some dramatic music in the background) like we expect from Final Fantasy commercials. I'm sure Square's advertising people will yell at Nintendo's guys for that :D.

Quote:well to me they are still mentally offensive "Go on, touch me, it's okay." things, but for some reason I think it'll actually get people buying them...

Of course.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2004

Mentally offensive? I don't know, seems like they're just trying to attract people to the system by playing on what they know is something that will draw people in...

Ridge Racers import preview. Why posted? Another battery life comment. Oh and graphics. :)

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/ridgeracer/preview_6114902.html

Quote:As one of the more technically impressive PSP games, Ridge Racers has been the subject of much speculation regarding the system's battery life. While the battery has been rated for six hours of gameplay, that number seems to drop a bit when playing a game like Ridge Racers, which chews through battery life more quickly. Though battery life is something that can be difficult to gauge, it seems like Ridge Racers could chop that six hour number in half, if not more. Ridge Racers also has some noticeable load times that occur upon booting the game, and upon entering or exiting a race. While you'll notice the load times, they don't seem excruciatingly long, either.

Quote:Graphically, Ridge Racers seems to fall somewhere between the R4 and Ridge Racer 5. It looks better than a PlayStation game, but in some spots, it doesn't look quite as good as a PlayStation 2 game. The textures used for the track environments are sharp, and the polygonal environments are very, very crisp. But the cars themselves wear slightly blurry textures. However, they do have a nice level of reflection on them, which makes the cars look great, overall. On top of all that, the game runs at a clean, smooth frame rate that handles the sense of speed really well. This is a nice, fast-moving game.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - N_A - 12th December 2004

Nintendo maybe off to a great start, but they have some major problems that is going to put a real pitfall in their momentum. First the PSP will come out, and when people are given the alternative of playing Nintendo vs Sony, they'll choose Sony because its mainstream and Nintendo is no longer the only option. 2ndly, Nintendo doesn't have much that Sony doesn't offer. The 2 screens help, but you can make games without it, and quite obviously, just about every mainstream title series is getting some kind of PSP version while the DS is going to be experiencing a VERY LONG DROUGHT of any kind of game worth playing. The PSP's WiFi system is working NOW with games that use it. You can't even use the Wifi and online system on the DS without cheating by using tunneling.... now how many people are going to take the effort to do that let alone know about that work around ?

Poor strategy ? Maybe its a mix of conservative and radical, but thats what makes it a half seasoned strategy. Not too raw to fail, but not aggressive enough to succeed in the long run. Its like letting the enemy encroach on all your vital territory before mobilizing your army. No matter how big it is, you're in a lot of shit. Nintendo is in a lot of shit. This turf is their last battleground. Somehow I am seeing Nintendo moving to developing PC games, as Mr. Miyamoto once hinted if Nintendo failed at consoles, in another decade.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 12th December 2004

First posts here in a really long time and it's a ridiculously certain and incorrect diatribe worthy of anything OB1 has said... sigh...

Um, the DS does have working wireless... it doesn't connect to the internet with it yet, but it definitely connects DSes within the same area together...

Also, right now Sony does NOT have a big advantage in number of games. I'd say that the total number of announced games is pretty similar... perhaps slightly in the PSP's favor, but not by a lot. Nintendo is not way behind here. Look at the Japanese launches -- six to eight games for the DS and five for the PSP. Yes, huge difference there. Rolleyes

And the DS is selling great. I bet that a lot of the people who got one won't be getting two handhelds right off the bat, so while the PSP will also do well initially it's not like it'll immediately destroy Nintendo's market or get people who got a DS not very long ago to switch over.

There's also the fact that you're so skeptical about the uses of a touchscreen... um, all I can say there is that if you can't see it too bad for you but most people here certainly can and know that it's a great innovation to add to a console that truly does make the DS a very different system from the PSP.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/12/12/news_6114909.html

Quote:Q: How long does the PSP's battery last?

A: The short answer is that it depends on what you're doing. The longer answer is that Sony has stated that the battery should last around six hours. With simpler-looking games like Lumines or Mahjong Fight Club, that definitely seems to be the case. But with more graphically intensive games, like Ridge Racers, the battery doesn't last quite as long. Based on our estimates and a few battery-draining tests, Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours. Playing with the wireless networking switch flipped on will also further reduce your battery life. The system has an auto-sleep function that stops the wireless drain, but that switch is there for a reason. Turn it off when you're not using it.

Video and audio will likely drain the battery differently, depending on where the content is coming from. It's less power-intensive to read from the memory stick slot than the UMD drive, though without any audio discs and only one demo video disc full of short game and movie trailers available now, it's difficult to actually put a number on this. Considering that the screen will black out if left unattended, it seems reasonable that you should get a good amount of battery power out of the system when listening to audio.

Quote:Q: Are there long loading times in every game?

A: After years of cartridge-based handhelds, it's a little difficult to accept the concept of loading times on a portable game system. Yes, PSP games need to load, just like any other disc-based system would. Those load times vary. Lumines loads up new graphics and music when you change stages, and during this load, all of the game's audio--all of which is tied to the music--stops. Ridge Racers loads for about 15 seconds up front, and from there, getting into or out of a race takes another 10-15 seconds. Vampire Chronicle seems to be the worst offender so far, as it has 15-20 second load times when you get into or out of a match. In the game's tower mode, where you only fight for one round, this becomes pretty noticeable. But for the most part, the loading times aren't that noticeable. When you put a number on them, it sounds worse than it actually is. Ridge Racers doesn't feel like it takes forever to load. Vampire Chronicle can be a little frustrating, but that's about it.

Quote:Q: What's the deal with the PSP's control disc? Is it analog or not?

A: We've heard reports from the development side of things that the control disc on the PSP isn't a "true" analog device. After playing a few games that use it, it's difficult to tell the difference. The disc definitely allows for more than eight directions of motion, and works fine for, say, making slight turns in Ridge Racers. That said, the disc seems to have a fairly large dead zone, and it's difficult to get very slight movements out of it. But above all, it seems to work well for driving games, at least, and shouldn't be a problem, regardless of how, exactly, it works under the hood.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - N_A - 12th December 2004

Wireless gameplay is completely different from WiFi gameplay. As said, Sony's system WiFi system is working today. Nintendo's won't for who knows how long.

Secondly, I'm not skeptical about the uses of the touchscreen. Dude, I have a DS so you can shove your point.

I'm skeptical about Nintendo's whole half seasoned strategy that revolves around it. I have no doubt in my mind that Nintendo can and will create games for it better than any handheld game maker out there, but that doesn't mean that its image will pass off as the thing to have against Sony's more mainstream system which is already supported much better than the DS.

If you can't see the lack of completeness with Nintendo's strategy, thats too bad for you because you might not be ready to be disappointed about how the market turns out later. This is an issue about the market outcome, not about game quality. We already know Sony can sell better than Nintendo on crappy games that are better marketed and supported.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2004

Quote:Ridge Racers seems to last somewhere between 90 minutes and three hours. Playing with the wireless networking switch flipped on will also further reduce your battery life.

Woah. That's REALLY bad. Good luck playing more than one race of GT over the Net before you have to replace the battery.

Yeah, 90 mins to 3 hours... now THAT is what I expected from this thing from the beginning. Well, actually, it's a bit below that... I was thinking 2-4 hours... but hey, if all you want to do is play Mah-Jong with your headphones and the brightness dimmed then you might get six hours. :D

In short, OB1, your belief in Sony's marketing hype has kind of backfired, hasn't it...

Yes, the PSP can get better battery life than I expected in some circumstances. But for most people, and for most games, it's right about where I thought it would be: in the realm of other handhelds whose technology was great but was beyond decent power capacities of the time.

See: Lynx, TurboExpress, Nomad, and Game Gear. Great technically, only to be brought down by not as good a selection of games and bad battery life... honestly, the GG might be the best comparison, given that it didn't totally fail like those others and the PSP is probably not going to be a total flop...

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 12th December 2004

At least the PSP only uses one rechargeable battery, of course it probably takes about 4 hours to charge...but you can always buy another one for $25-$30! *has a party*

Actually IGN says that Sony says the battery should charge in 2 and a half hours... about the same amount of time it takes for it to run out again. :)

But yes, buy several... and use the AC adaptor when you can...

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Private Hudson - 13th December 2004

Hey guys, sorry if no-one cares, but I was reading over a similar thread at another forum and thought I'd say something positive about the launch line-up. Well, I'd link to some positive things about the launch line-up:

Ridge Racers:
Gamespot
IGN

Lumines:
1up
Gamespot

Vampire Chronicles (Darkstalkers):
Gamespot

Minna no golf (Hot Shots):
Gamespot

For a system launch, it looks quite promising, indeed. :)

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 13th December 2004

I posted the bad points about Ridge Racers and Darkstalkers... :D

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - OB1 - 13th December 2004

Haha, most of these posts (most of them by our resident retard ABF) remind me of Tendo City back in 1999: a bunch of blind fanboys talking out of their asses about how much their favorite company is better than the terrible competition.

Different games are going to get different battery lives and different load times (this part especially makes me laugh since it's exactly what Nintendo fanboys--myself included--said about the PSX when it was beating Nintendo: "teh load times are gonna mek sony loose!!111!" Lol ), and rushed third-party stuff is most definitely not going to be very efficient in any respect. Namco has a recent history of crappy, rushed launch titles. Tekken Tag Tournament, Ridge Racer DS (which looks worse than the PSX games), and now this.

But hey-- just like I couldn't be swayed back when I was a biased fanboy like you are now, ABF, I know that it'll take a few years of great PSP sales for you to accept these facts. Though honestly I don't think you're capable of ever admitting your stupidity.

Let's wait and see how well the US launch goes, shall we?

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 13th December 2004

Considering that most PSP games are going to as graphics intensive as RR, if not a whole lot more, I don't see how the battery life is going to change that much between games. As for the load time, nobody's going to care that much about it as long as it's within reasonable limits, say 10-15 seconds.

You didn't pay attention to what I said, did you? Namco rushed RR, so they did not have the programmers try to make engines that are battery-efficient.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - Great Rumbler - 13th December 2004

OR the battery life for the PSP is terrible and there's very little that can be done with a graphics intensive game to make it any better. You could always play Mahjong for six hours though...

If RR is the best a developer could do with the PSP then Namco must have a time-freeze machine which lets their developers work on programming efficient engines for however long they need.

About the only thing I see that can do to raise the battery life is to reduce the need to load during the game [unless they want to ease up on the processor], but games still have to load, so unless Sony has some All-Powerful Magicks that cause the battery life to last a super-long time while your playing GTA4, I don't see the PSP's battery life reaching the optimum level. Then again, maybe after more games are released I'll be proven wrong, but...*shrugs*

That's a really... weird (and wrong)... view of programming. Depending on how much time the programmers have, and how good they are, they will be able to get much better battery lives than Namco did with their rushed RR.

The PSP requires a lot of power no matter how you look at it.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 13th December 2004

You still underestimate how different the portable market really is, OB1, and I'm sure you will continue to even after the PSP fails to totally obliterate Nintendo like you so badly wish it to... but somewhere inside I know you know that you were wrong about battery life. That's why you've got to retreat on it and say that it doesn't matter.

Quote:The PSP requires a lot of power no matter how you look at it.

You don't say. But you're not looking at all of the facts here; you don't understand the situation.

Quote:You still underestimate how different the portable market really is, OB1, and I'm sure you will continue to even after the PSP fails to totally obliterate Nintendo like you so badly wish it to...
Wow, not even I was that moronic when I was a biased fanboy. So I want the PSP to "totally obliterate Nintendo" because I'm not an idiot fanboy like you are and can look at things more objectively and without bias? Haha, how wonderful it must be to be able to skew every truth in this world to fit your twisted perspective.
Quote:but somewhere inside I know you know that you were wrong about battery life. That's why you've got to retreat on it and say that it doesn't matter.

Please quote me where I said anything about the battery life being super long. By all means, try to prove me wrong.

Yes that's right, you can't. Because like always you're talking out of your ass.

You said many, many times that it wouldn't be just a couple of hours, and then shoved it in all of our faces when the "4-6" designation came out, saying "see I told you so!"... but now that we know that for most games it'll be more like 2-4, if I want to be nice, you say that you never said it'd be horrible? Um... yeaaaah... we believe you...

Quote:Wow, not even I was that moronic when I was a biased fanboy. So I want the PSP to "totally obliterate Nintendo" because I'm not an idiot fanboy like you are and can look at things more objectively and without bias? Haha, how wonderful it must be to be able to skew every truth in this world to fit your twisted perspective.

You are probably the most biased person here...

Quote:You said many, many times that it wouldn't be just a couple of hours, and then shoved it in all of our faces when the "4-6" designation came out, saying "see I told you so!"... but now that we know that for most games it'll be more like 2-4, if I want to be nice, you say that you never said it'd be horrible? Um... yeaaaah... we believe you...

Actually I said that battery life would not kill the system, which I'm still certain of. But please, if you think you can prove me wrong go ahead and do so.

Quote:You are probably the most biased person here...

Oh but of course.

... now, exactly... who am I biased towards again? Sony, because I have a PS2 and PSX and like many of their games? Or perhaps Nintendo, since they're my favorite developer, I have all of their systems ('cept the VB), more than twenty times the number of their games than you do, and post at a Nintendo board? Or perhaps it's MS, since I have an X-Box, love X-Box Live and a bunch of its games? Or perhaps you're talking handhelds only. In that case I must be biased towards Sony then, right, since I want to get a PSP and think that it will succeed? Even though I have a GBA SP with over 30 games (what's that, twice or three times the number of GBA games that you have?) and bought a DS with Mario 64 the weekend it came out (which you have yet to buy)?

Please tell me who I'm biased towards, because I can't seem to make sense of it.

Whatever

Idiot.

You are biased towards yourself... or rather you think your opinions once stated are permanantly right... this is a great case of that. But we'll see what happens.

And I'm not talking about every argument, I'm talking about this specific one. Here you are defending Sony stronger than even some developers are... it's pretty aburd how many excuses you have for their failings... yes, because of its power and the Sony Marketing Division it'll sell well, but I am very far from convinced that it'll be the force that beats Nintendo in handhelds. Even if we restrict it to just DS vs PSP (a significant restriction because the GBA will be #1 for quite some time) I really don't know which way it'll go... I'd like to think Nintendo can definitely win though. :)

Quote:you don't understand the situation.

I understand it well enough, the guys at Gamestop tested RR and they concluded that the battery life was terrible, clocking in at less the 3 hours and as low as 90 minutes and on top of that if you want to play over the internet or wireless LAN you're going to get an EVEN LOWER battery life. Now, you can talk about Namco not trying hard enough or whatever, but what this comes down to is if you want to play the PSP to it's full potential [i.e. games with amazing graphics, sound, a.i., and wireless multiplayer] you're going to have to put up with a low battery life, there's just no way around that.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - OB1 - 14th December 2004

Quote:You are biased towards yourself... or rather you think your opinions once stated are permanantly right... this is a great case of that. But we'll see what happens.

HA! I love it when you project. In case you forgot, when it was announced that the PSP was going to be around $200, and I WAS proven right and you were proven VERY wrong, you refused to admit that! Did you forget that already?? EVERYONE could see that you were wrong, as the facts were right in front of our faces. PSP = $200 = I was right = you're a dumb fuck. Even then you WOULD NOT admit that you were wrong. It's amazing how hypocritical one idiot can be. It really is.

Quote:And I'm not talking about every argument, I'm talking about this specific one. Here you are defending Sony stronger than even some developers are... it's pretty aburd how many excuses you have for their failings... yes, because of its power and the Sony Marketing Division it'll sell well, but I am very far from convinced that it'll be the force that beats Nintendo in handhelds. Even if we restrict it to just DS vs PSP (a significant restriction because the GBA will be #1 for quite some time) I really don't know which way it'll go... I'd like to think Nintendo can definitely win though.

I have to be the objective voice of reason in this forum since everybody here seems be a certain degree of blind fanboy. I'm looking at this objectively, and only a biased fanboy would ever say anything different. I know that, because I used to be like that. Several years ago I realized how stupid it is to have gaming biases and take sides for no reason (actually, your reason is much like mine used to be, which is that you only own nintendo consoles so you HAVE to hate the competition), so I stopped being a stupid Nintendo fanboy.

Quote:I understand it well enough, the guys at Gamestop tested RR and they concluded that the battery life was terrible, clocking in at less the 3 hours and as low as 90 minutes and on top of that if you want to play over the internet or wireless LAN you're going to get an EVEN LOWER battery life. Now, you can talk about Namco not trying hard enough or whatever, but what this comes down to is if you want to play the PSP to it's full potential [i.e. games with amazing graphics, sound, a.i., and wireless multiplayer] you're going to have to put up with a low battery life, there's just no way around that.

Hey guess what, it turns out that Gamespot was wrong (as usual). They did NOT test Ridge Racer at full battery life. Dozens of reports are coming in from different web sites (notice how gamespot was the only one to say 90 minutes, out of EVERYONE) and individual gamers, and most of them (who actually recharged the PSP as soon as they got it--remember that the battery life is not at FULL as soon as you get a system) say that RR gets about five hours of battery life at MAX volume and screen brightness. So gamespot's 90 minutes is not at full recharge. That makes Sony's estimate correct, and the PSP's battery life only a couple of hours worse than the DS'.

Now, even if that 90 minute thing were correct, it would be the fault of Namco's programmers. Saying that it's just because the game has nice graphics and sound, blah blah blah while not looking at the facts of very ABF of you, GR. I expect more from you, man. Different programmers under different conditions will get different performances out of hardware. Imagine if the programmers who did Morrowind at the time that they did Morrowind (they've since become much better) made a PSP game. It would look like crap AND suck the batteries like nothing else. And that's because they weren't very efficient programmers. With this case--if it were actually true--it would be a case of Namco's programmers not having enough time to efficiently use the hardware. But even then they got around five hours of battery life for RR.

Now the true test will be GT3, which looks amazing. I'm betting right now that it'll get at least four hours of battery life.

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2004

Yes, 90 minuites may not be the average, but three hours sure is right on target.

And I said in my last post '2-4 hours, being nice'... as in I was taking that as the average battery life, not 1.5-3 hours.

But there are very mixed reports... some saying two and a half, or three, or four, or four and a half, or five, or six...

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8100
Quote:All units have been using Namco’s delicious Ridge Racers with speaker sound, and gamers have reported an average of 2 hours and 40 minutes game time. Using headphones, the duration crept up to a shade over three hours and ten minutes.

http://forums.insertcredit.com/viewtopic.php?p=72495&highlight=#72495
Quote:Yeah, Ridge Racers lasted us just under three hours.

Then we charged the battery to full. It was totally NOT full out of the box. Then we played a combination of Minna no Golf (about four hours) and Ridge Racers (two hours) for the combined total of six hours and three minutes.

Also -- the charger cord is pretty long. The headphone jack is nice. You can use a remote and Pro Eggos on the short cord. Then . . . well. You really won't mind playing it at home, Aderack. I mean, granted some excellent games come out for it. The screen is just so high resolution and pretty. Everything moves well. When you're lying in bed and playing Armored Core with headphones on late at night -- well. It's a nice experience. A nicer experience than I've ever had with a portable system.

I mean, I couldn't have the same experience with any of the Gameboys, being that I tend to like to lie in bed in complete darkness.

http://forum.gamesradar.com/viewtopic.php?t=55144&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=195

(from IGN)
Quote:So we've at last played our way through a full battery charge cycle. In case you don't feel like counting, the battery died after about four hours and fourty-five minutes of five different games and one hour of MP3 play. We didn't use the WiFi features of the system at all during this time.

Keep in mind that we avoided charging the system a number of times that we could've easily plugged it in (in particular, as we slept). Unless we plan on playing games for more than five hours in a row, the battery seems like it'll be okay to us. Of course, for long trips, we may find ourselves picking up a spare just in case (they're about $40 at retail).

One thing that seems clear is that factors like sound and brightness (and wi-fi) greatly affect battery life. Turn the brightness way down and turn off the sound (or for slightly less impact use headphones) and you probably will be getting 4-6 hours with Ridge Racers. But full brightness and the speakers?

PSP: Out Tomorrow (in Japan). But does anyone care? - A Black Falcon - 14th December 2004

Quote:HA! I love it when you project. In case you forgot, when it was announced that the PSP was going to be around $200, and I WAS proven right and you were proven VERY wrong, you refused to admit that! Did you forget that already?? EVERYONE could see that you were wrong, as the facts were right in front of our faces. PSP = $200 = I was right = you're a dumb fuck. Even then you WOULD NOT admit that you were wrong. It's amazing how hypocritical one idiot can be. It really is.

What is actually amazing is how annoyed you are by something as trivial as which words I used...

Quote:I have to be the objective voice of reason in this forum since everybody here seems be a certain degree of blind fanboy. I'm looking at this objectively, and only a biased fanboy would ever say anything different. I know that, because I used to be like that. Several years ago I realized how stupid it is to have gaming biases and take sides for no reason (actually, your reason is much like mine used to be, which is that you only own nintendo consoles so you HAVE to hate the competition), so I stopped being a stupid Nintendo fanboy.

The worst fanboys are the ones who think they aren't biased...

Quote:One thing that seems clear is that factors like sound and brightness (and wi-fi) greatly affect battery life. Turn the brightness way down and turn off the sound (or for slightly less impact use headphones) and you probably will be getting 4-6 hours with Ridge Racers. But full brightness and the speakers?

Actually I've read several reports that you'll get five hours with full screen brightness and volume at max, if the system is fully recharged.

Quote:What is actually amazing is how annoyed you are by something as trivial as which words I used...

Yeah guess what? You never once said that you were wrong. Not once. And I won't let you forget that.

Quote:The worst fanboys are the ones who think they aren't biased...

Indeed, which describes you to a T.

But really, carry on. I find this whole thing incredibly hilarious. I'm biased, Rofl . An idiotic Nintendo fanboy such as yourself cannot fathom someone loving Nintendo and the competition so of course they are biased. And I'm sure that a Sony or MS fanboy would call me Nintendo biased since I don't exclusively love their favorite companies either. Lol Man, I thought this whole fanboy thing died out here. I guess I was wrong.

Quote:Actually I've read several reports that you'll get five hours with full screen brightness and volume at max, if the system is fully recharged.

Using headphones and no wi-fi, and if you aren't just playing demanding games, yes that seems to be possible. I haven't seen reports that do that with just games... all of the reports with longer battery lives that I've seen seem to be mixtures. An hour of music, several of one game, some of another... or the "six hours" one was two hours of a not very demanding game and then four of RR... supposedly. The guy doesn't have much credibility since he was trying to sell PSPs later in the same post.

Yes, the battery life is better than I expected. But it also is not quite as good as you were expecting. And it seems to vary greatly depending on what you do.

What are you talking about? The battery life is exactly what I was expecting. Just a couple hours lower than the DS.

OB1: master at spinning arguments so even when he is wrong he is not.

And it seems pretty obvious that the true overall battery life picture isn't clear...

What a great rebuttal.

*sarcastically claps for ABF*

When you have numbers all over the place you don't immediately assume that the one that supports your case best is right...

If you respond "Gamespot", I posted that first because I saw it first, quite simply. :)

Even insert credit says that RR's battery life is two hours after four hours of Minna Golf. Rofl

You're so funny.

Uh, I already addressed that, see "the guy was trying to sell PSPs later in the same post, which hurts his credibility"...

That's insert credit, they're more credible than all of your favorite crappy websites put together.

Which is why you just said that they were believable... I'd tend more just to discount such an opinion...

You've never heard of insert credit before? That's sad...