Tendo City
new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers (/showthread.php?tid=2352)

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 10th November 2004

Quote:By ANICK JESDANUN, AP Internet Writer

NEW YORK - Web surfing has belonged almost exclusively to Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer ever since it buried Netscape's pioneering browser. That doesn't seem to have bothered the developers of the Mozilla Firefox, a feisty new kid on the block that's worth a serious look.

Photo
AP Photo

delayed 20 mins - disclaimer
Quote Data provided by Reuters

Get Media Savvy
New devices aim to tie your PC to home entertainment. You might even want to ditch your DVD player.

Officially released this week, Firefox packs security protections and other welcome features that emphasize just how little Microsoft has innovated its aging Microsoft browser in recent years.

True, Microsoft made significant security improvements to IE when it released Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (news - web sites) computers in August. But the improvements aren't available for older Windows systems. Nor does the updated IE offer a versatile search box, a pop-up blocker, feeds of frequently visited Web pages or the ability to open windows within windows. More on that later.

The biggest reason to consider Firefox is security.

To its credit, Microsoft is trying hard to address that. But as long as IE commands more than 90 percent of the world's computers, malicious hackers will continue to target it. The very IE features that Web developers love are also exploited by virus and spyware writers.

That's not to say you can't get spyware or other malicious code using Firefox, but risks are greatly reduced.

Firefox also offers protections against phishing — those e-mail scams that pretend to be legitimate notices from banks and service providers. A few scams did slip through during my test, but I was warned about others.

Still not sold? Then check out Firefox's non-security features, which are available on IE only by downloading third-party toolbars or plug-ins, some of which carry a fee:

_Search. From a toolbar up top, you have instant access to several search engines and can easily switch among them. You can also customize the browser so that typing "book" followed by a title automatically performs a search at amazon.com.

_Pop-up blocker. It does the job, while letting you open pop-ups you want.

_News feeds. Firefox supports Really Simple Syndication, or RSS, a technology for pulling headlines from news sites and Web journals so you won't have to keep checking them.

_Tabbed browsing. Instead of constantly opening new windows to browse, cluttering your Windows taskbar, Firefox lets you open new pages as tabs within a single window. Click on the appropriate tab to switch among the pages.

The latest version of Netscape, which shares much of Firefox's core technology, also has many of these features, and Norwegian browser Opera offers all four — and more.

But both bundle e-mail and other tools that can get in the way. When viewing a Web page on Opera, for instance, clicking on an e-mail link calls up Opera's own e-mail software — not Microsoft Outlook, which my company requires me to use.

And did I mention that Firefox is free? Opera costs $39 for an ad-free version.

Despite being a "1.0" release, Firefox is mature. And the breeding is good. It's the product of more than a thousand full-time engineers and volunteers and is based on the open-source Mozilla suite, which in turn has its roots in Netscape.

Plus, Firefox is available for Linux (news - web sites) and Mac computers as well. I tried the Mac version and found all the major features available right away.

The browser was also available in more than a dozen languages on its first day — a commendable feat.

Of course, no good product comes without a catch. I ran into trouble with a few Web sites designed specifically for IE, mainly those requiring ActiveX controls or the portion of JavaScript in which Microsoft departs from published standards.

So you can forget about watching movies on CinemaNow or Movielink. You also won't be able to update your Windows operating system relying on Firefox alone (Good thing Microsoft bundles IE with its operating systems).

Plug-ins designed for Netscape or Opera should work with Firefox, but you won't be able to use any of the IE toolbars, including Yahoo's spyware scanner and e-mail checker, or fully take advantage of Google's new desktop search software.

Nevertheless, some companies, including Amazon.com, are starting to adapt their tools for Firefox.

Some Web pages won't display correctly — among the ones I encountered were spam stats from Postini Inc., stock indices for the Bombay Stock Exchange and one AP internal site.

And Firefox mysteriously froze the first time I checked America Online mail. Closing the browser and restarting it fixed it on two different computers.

As for the RSS feeds, though I was impressed with how easy it was to add feeds for sites that let machines automatically detect them, manually adding feeds was overly complicated. I also found the tools for reading feeds quite clunky and inflexible. Opera has much better RSS tools.

In fact, I see little reason to switch from Opera, unless you'd prefer to drop the e-mail integration. The features are comparable.

As an alternative to IE, Firefox is a strong contender. And for the few sites that don't work with Firefox, you can always launch IE.

___

On the Net: http://getfirefox.com

I havent gotten Firefox , But I have had Mozilla version 17.3 for about two weeks now. It runs alot faster smoother then MS IE, I have had virtually no spyware since I switched , Spysweeper use to detect a good 15-20 new ones a day on IE and I have seen almost none since I coverted to Mozilla.My surfing habaits havent changed at all I go to the same exact sites, Its simular to netscape since it was made by the same engineers but its incredibly simple it has so many things IE doesnt have , It has a download manager that keeps record and allows you to control whats being downloaded into your computer and even links you straight to were it is located on your computer afterwards if you miss place it. Now there wont be anymore "comet cursor or other bull shit surprises". If you go to alot of freaky sites this isnt a bad thing to have.

IE is a piece of shit , Microsoft haisnt really innovated it in years and it is the most cracked hacked targeted browswer around , Unlike IE it has a pop up and cookie manager and blocker.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 11th November 2004

Firefox is Mozilla for Internet Explorer users.

Mozilla is Mozilla for Netscape users.

I hate Internet Explorer.

... can anyone guess which Mozilla browser I greatly prefer?

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 11th November 2004

I use the netscape version and not firefox!

Its amazing how much little improvement microsoft has made on its browser since 1998 , The hole online experience had stagnated and turned into a cess pool of comp poisoning. MS never did shit about its sercurity flaws even though it knew about it for months untill it started to hurt their stock share values.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 14th November 2004

Microshaft must die! Banana

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Dark Jaguar - 14th November 2004

Does too offer a pop-up blocker now. Apparently they never even bothered using the newest IE version. Don't get me wrong, it's still very dated, but they NEED to strive for getting the the facts, not just assuming them.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 14th November 2004

I don't think IE has popup blocking... it did finally implement being able to permanantly say yes or no to cookies (ie a list of your choices), but it's still far, far behind better browsers.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Dark Jaguar - 14th November 2004

I HAVE IE and I just TOLD you it DOES have pop-up blocking now, BUILT IN. What, do you think I just made that up?

Oh well, here's the proof.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 14th November 2004

No pop-up blocking in IE on my computer, anyway, that's for sure. Not that I ever use it for more than the absolute minimum amount I have to...

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 14th November 2004

You get the pop-up blocker with Service Pack 2.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 15th November 2004

I think only those with Xp can get service pack 2 , If you dont have XP then Mozilla might be a good idea to get.

I went back and tested IE with the service pack 2 , I had zero spyware on Mozilla since I switched but 3 minutes on IE visiting the same 4 sites I usually go too and Guess what I got 8 new spywares 7 were imediately removed by spyweeper they were just cookie based , 1 had to be qaurantined. Having service pack 2 has reduced the amounts to a minimum on the default setting but , SP2 has three settings "allow all" , "allow some" ,"Allow none". "allow some" is default , It has alot to do with MS active X and thats one of the big holes in IE sure it allows you some special stuff but its really a double edge sword. SP2 is set to insecure so if you have it you will need to put it yourself up to "allow none".Otherwise you will get a trinkle of spyware that you dont want.

Mozilla has two setting allow all and block all (block is defualt) , Who wants to have spyware and Malware?

Another thing SP2 is alot more intrusive , Mozilla lets me into Liquidgeneration with no problems and it also blocks their pop up adware it can tell the difference between advertisements and whats necessary , If you know LG you visit their site and they have a new flash screen pop up in order to enter, SP2 popup blocks you from getting into LG flashsite unless you temporaily allow all popups.

As long as 90% of people have IE it will never be fully safe.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - me - 20th November 2004

I've used firefox since .8 and she's always worked great.

Although prior to firefox I used IE for years and years and never had a problem with spyware. Either that or Ad Aware and Spybot never picked much up. I think you just have to watch where you go, and having a giant list of blocked sites in your hosts file helps.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 20th November 2004

... an actual new person? Could it be?

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 20th November 2004

Doubtful.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 20th November 2004

Well its not my doing.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 20th November 2004

The IP hasn't been used by anyone else here, but that doesn't mean it's actually someone new... :)

(at most forums would people be this suspicious? No, they would not. But we never get new people...)

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 21st November 2004

It says he joined in 2002? I just checked his profile could he be some old guy who came back now?

:cow:

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - me - 21st November 2004

I was here way WAY back in the day when this Tendo City, then Rumble city, and now it is apparently Tendo city again. I believe I first visited this forum when it was linked from tendobox.com.

I only had a couple hundred posts though. And holy crap, I remember that cow.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 21st November 2004

Yeah, that cow's awesome isn't it? Anywho, welcome back, person that I don't remember since you just said you only posted like 100 times!

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 21st November 2004

You've been here before? Ah, that explains it, we don't get NEW new people. :) Then the cow is wrong... it should be

:returner:

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 21st November 2004

Yay! :far-out:

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - alien space marine - 22nd November 2004

Maybe we need a Bull , A revenge for inactive people!

[Image: paintingsbullinkitchenl.jpg]

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 22nd November 2004

Quote:Maybe we need a Bull , A revenge for inactive people!

A red bull!

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Smoke - 20th July 2005

me Wrote:I was here way WAY back in the day when this Tendo City, then Rumble city, and now it is apparently Tendo city again. I believe I first visited this forum when it was linked from tendobox.com.

I only had a couple hundred posts though. And holy crap, I remember that cow.
I found Tendo City through Tendobox. Now Tendobox is gone but we remain. In the future when the machines have taken over and the earth is a smouldering burnt-out husk of it's former self I'll still be posting inane bullshit on this forum.

Then lazy will pop on and post something about his penis from the maximum security Prison State of Florida.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Laser Link - 20th July 2005

Wow, and then "me" shows up again. This is amazing! Tendobox was fun. I miss it.

And you all should use Opera for browsing. Your mom does.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 20th July 2005

Mozilla-Firefox is the best.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 20th July 2005

No, standard Mozilla is.

Hahaha...no.

Firefox isn't nearly as good as normal Mozilla...

It's not Firefox. It's MOZILLA-Firefox.

It's the Firefox web browser, made by the Mozilla project... and it's not as good as the Mozilla browser because it's too much like IE and they removied too many good features.

I like it.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - me - 21st July 2005

Laser Link Wrote:Wow, and then "me" shows up again. This is amazing! Tendobox was fun. I miss it.

And you all should use Opera for browsing. Your mom does.

Yeah, they've dug me up.

AHHH! Stupid puns! I can just feel those puns lying in wait, ready to ambush me at every turn.

Dah, they got me again.

I would register a different name, but I kinda like it saying I've been registered since 02. Gives me more street cred'.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Smoke - 21st July 2005

On the mean streets of Tendo City. T-Town fo lyfe.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Great Rumbler - 21st July 2005

Street cred is all that matter around here.

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 21st July 2005

Quote:I would register a different name, but I kinda like it saying I've been registered since 02. Gives me more street cred'.

You do know that the join date and post count can be edited, right? How do you think we have join dates from 1999, after all? :)

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - Weltall - 21st July 2005

Shoot, I can change the username on your account also. I didn't sign up a new one when I changed from Weltall to Ryan.

What would you want it changed to?

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - geoboy - 24th July 2005

Here's a little something I whipped up...

new safer and faster non MS Internet browsers - A Black Falcon - 24th July 2005

No no, we have [Image: returners.jpg]