Tendo City
sniff... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: sniff... (/showthread.php?tid=2317)

sniff... - A Black Falcon - 28th October 2004

... I know what I said in the other thread somewhat contradicts this (but only somewhat!), but... this is great... literally put some tears in my eyes...

(yes, I uploaded it to the FTP. Too big to zip and I don't know where to find it on the web (got it from campus email system), so this is easier...)

http://www.tcforums.com/fenway_qt.mov

sniff... - Dark Jaguar - 28th October 2004

That... was a freaking Nike commercial. You loaded THAT on the FTP? Look, I get that you like sports and all, but really, a Nike commerical showing a bunch of people looking at a field (with baseball playing it would seem) managed to bring a tear to your eye?

Oh, okay, I guess I just really don't get spectator sports... at all.

I didn't really react much when we won other than 'Yay' and all that, but that one... that's why it was worth it to win, for people who have been waiting that long (sure those probably weren't such people in that ad, but there certainly are such ones out there)...

And DJ, we have established many times over that you are clueless as far as sports are concerned, so I am not exactly surprised that you don't understand. It might take a Red Sox fan to really get, I don't know...

It's just that you sorta built me up to some big emotional thing there, sorta inviting pretty much everyone to watch that. A bit of a letdown for someone like me who views spectator sports as equal to cheering someone on at Tetris.

For me that was emotional... I guess just reading the articles and stuff didn't really make it hit me, but that did it... that's a perfect encapsulation of the whole thing. It's got all the relevant emotions Sad, happy, touching, thoughtful... perfect for the moment. How often can you say that about advertising?

Well again, this just isn't something that would affect me. I do love my vidya games though... *thinks* Honestly though, I can't think of anything in gaming that would really bring a tear to my eye, well, except maybe relating to other human beings I'm playing games with, but that hardly counts... Certainly waiting around for Perfect Dark Zero isn't ever going to get me all teary eyed thinking about it.

This really is something pretty much outside my comprehension.

sniff... - The Former DMiller - 28th October 2004

It was slightly emotional for me since Cubs' fans are still going through that. There are very few Cubs' fans left who were still alive the last time they won the World Series, and the amount who last saw the Cubs even play in the World Series are getting older everyday.

Yeah, that was even longer ago... not many people live to be 96... even fewer people alive there who remember the last one, or even who were born not too long after it...

sniff... - OB1 - 29th October 2004

Hey I hear ya Brian, I can imagine how that would make a Sox fan teary-eyed.

I don't have to feel what you're feeling over this in order to understand. That's what we call empathy, DJ. :)

sniff... - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2004

Quote:Hey I hear ya Brian, I can imagine how that would make a Sox fan teary-eyed.

I don't have to feel what you're feeling over this in order to understand. That's what we call empathy, DJ.

DJ is too clueless about sports to understand such a concept, I think...

Anyway, when the Pats won the Super Bowl in '02 there was a parade in Boston and 1.5 million people went. Some people are guessing that tomorrow's parade might draw as many as 3 million... so they canned the traditional after-parade party part...

sniff... - Great Rumbler - 29th October 2004

Quote:DJ is too clueless about sports to understand such a concept, I think...

Yes. Remember that debate we had on MSN that one time where we were trying to talk to DJ about why we rooted for some teams and wanted others to lose?

sniff... - Fittisize - 29th October 2004

I feel for Cubs fans, I really do. As well as Red Sox fans, but not so much anymore. I like that Nike commercial a lot. Throghout all of those years, those ever-so-close moments, all the dissapointments, fans still kept coming out to Fenway and cheering for them. As well as for the Cubs fans. Now if only the Expos fans would have kept coming out after that (extemely large, even heartbreaking to this day) dissapointing 1994 season. Heck, they showed up after Black Sunday (where the Expos lost in the final game of the NLCS to a walk-off homer, I believe), but not after 1994. *sigh*

Alright, I'm sorry for talking about the Expos again. I'll quit. (not likely)

sniff... - A Black Falcon - 29th October 2004

Poor Expos, they lived and died without ever even winning any...

sniff... - Weltall - 30th October 2004

But now they're coming down to my backyard!

sniff... - A Black Falcon - 30th October 2004

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/baseball/mlb/10/30/bc.redsox.parade.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

3.2 million fans showed up for the parade today. For anyone keeping track, that's more than twice the number that showed up for the victory parade for the '02 Patriots (1.5 million), and that was the first Boston win in anything since the '86 Celtics...