Tendo City
Mario 64 DS - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Mario 64 DS (/showthread.php?tid=2270)

Mario 64 DS - OB1 - 7th October 2004

The game looks crazy enough to buy again! Well, as long as the controls don't suck...

[Image: ss02a.jpg]

[Image: ss07a.jpg]

Mario 64 DS - Great Rumbler - 7th October 2004

The textures aren't too great, but the polygon count looks fairly high. Enough of that, though. That game looks crazy! I thought that it was just going to be a remake of Mario 64 with a few extra modes, but it looks like it'll be more than that.

More crazy screens (well most of them... I re-posted some of them):

[Image: ss01a.jpg] [Image: ss02a.jpg] [Image: ss03a.jpg]
[Image: ss01b.jpg] [Image: ss02b.jpg] [Image: ss03c.jpg]
[Image: ss04a.jpg] [Image: ss05a.jpg] [Image: ss06a.jpg]
[Image: ss04b.jpg] [Image: ss05b.jpg] [Image: ss06b.jpg]

The problem with the DS is that there is no texture filtering, so even though the poly count is better than the N64 games don't look quite as good (so far).

Yeah, they're pixelated, which I don't particularly like, but the graphics are still pretty good. *wants Mario 64 DS now*

*wants a burrito now*

*still waiting for a slice of strawberry cheesecake*

*arthur runs away with burrito and strawberry cheesecake*

That bastard!

Ok I've seen the video and the lack of texture filtering looks really bad in that very first area (with the bricks), but the rest of the video looks fine. So it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess I was just hoping for better-than-N64 graphics with the DS. Dunno

Anyhow, the game sounds awesome. You actually start out as Yoshi and get to play as Mario, Luigi, and Wario via limited powerups.

Quote:October 07, 2004 - One of the very first titles Nintendo revealed for the Nintendo DS platform back at the Electronic Entertainment Expo was Super Mario 64 x4, a multiplayer conversion of one of the most successful 3D platformers ever made.

The game has officially received a namechange to Super Mario 64 DS, dropping the x4 from the title that represented the four player mode. But that doesn't mean the game won't have multiplayer connectivity...in fact, that's one of the game's main focus.
But the big deal is the enhancement of the single player adventure. Yes, it's a conversion of the original Nintendo 64 game. But there have been some modifications to the gameplay to incorporate all four different characters into the single player mode. Not only is Mario playable here, but so is Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario...and each character has his own strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. Yoshi, for example, can eat enemies and turn them into throwable eggs. Wario can break objects that no other character can. And Luigi can jump the highest out of the quartet, which will come in handy to reach those hard-to-leap areas. It will be important to switch between the characters to collect all 150 stars.

That's right, the game now has 30 more stars to earn than the original Nintendo 64 game. The Nintendo DS version will also feature several minigame challenges that utilize the touch sensitive screen.

Of course, the big addition is the four player battle mode, and just as it was announced back at E3, this battle mode will only require one copy of the game for all four players.

We'll have more on the game later today at Nintendo's Gamers Summit.

-- Craig Harris

Control still sounds iffy, but I'm excited!

I'm excited about this too, Super Mario 64 was great fun and if they can re-create this and do more then I'm all for it.

Miyamoto isn't happy with us...

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=995&stc=1]

Mario 64 DS - Great Rumbler - 8th October 2004

:shiggy2:

Mario 64 DS - OB1 - 8th October 2004

He pwned us!

Mario 64 DS - A Black Falcon - 9th October 2004

Textures? The complaints center around there being no analog stick more than textures, I think... :)

Mario 64 DS - Great Rumbler - 9th October 2004

How games like Mario 64 DS is control is one of the main things we really need to hear more about, since bad controls could really hurt it.

Mario 64 DS - OB1 - 9th October 2004

Most people who've played it said that the controls aren't too bad, especially since the camera is so much better than it was in M64.

Mario 64 DS - Great Rumbler - 9th October 2004

That's good to hear.

Mario 64 DS - A Black Falcon - 9th October 2004

The main question is variable speed... without analog, how do you change your speed? Is there a run/walk toggle key or something?

Mario 64 DS - Sacred Jellybean - 10th October 2004

Quote:Most people who've played it said that the controls aren't too bad, especially since the camera is so much better than it was in M64.

That's very good to hear. Mario 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I don't want to see it get butchered. The fact that there's new levels is the best part of all this... woo-hoo!

Mario 64 DS - big guy - 10th October 2004

the textures remind me of PSX textures. kinda pixelated, kinda jerky, but preferred by more people than the N64 textures.

Mario 64 DS - Great Rumbler - 10th October 2004

Ironically, yes, although most that said that were PSX fans, so you've got to wonder a bit. Jaggies and pixelation vs. blurryness and less detail, ah, brings back fond memories.

Mario 64 DS - Sacred Jellybean - 10th October 2004

I wish they didn't look so jaggy. :(

Actually, it's not really that jaggy...just horribly pixelated.

Mario 64 DS - Undertow - 10th October 2004

Couldn't they just of totally revamped the old game with an updated graphics engine? Maybe use Mario Sunshine's graphics, at least? It makes more sense than just porting the old one and giving it a heavily pixelated look.

:graphics:

Considering that the DS isn't a powerhouse like the PSP, this is probably about the best they can do at this point.

Mario 64 DS - A Black Falcon - 10th October 2004

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/dssupermario4x4/preview_6110123.html

Some more details on the minigames (there are 36).

Mario 64 DS - OB1 - 11th October 2004

I actually don't care too much about the pixelated textures, as the blurry N64 ones weren't all that much better. My main beef is with the horribly distracting (at least in the official Nintendo videos) shimmering problem in all of the games.