Tendo City
Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) (/showthread.php?tid=2239)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 23rd September 2004

...and the award goes to...

Tales of Symphonia--the sole game I got for my birthday, and the sole one that is currenlty causing my GC to be dusted off. What a great fuckin' game.

Okay thats all I have to say. Go home.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Weltall - 23rd September 2004

Play the prequels too.

Silent Hill 4 will end up winning my personal GOTY award, even though I haven't played it yet. I just know this to be true. Silent Hill owns every other game.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - EdenMaster - 23rd September 2004

Ah, a best game of the year, eh?

Well, I'm going to give the EdenMaster Award for Excellence in the Field of Electronic Entertainment (or EMAEFEE for short) now. Here are the nominees:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Pikmin 2
Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time
R-Type Final
Final Fantasy X (recieves annual nomination regardless of year, being the greatest game ever)

And the EMAEFEE goes to...

<b>Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes!</b>

Accepting the EMAEFEE on behalf of Hideo Kojima and Denis Dyack will be a ham sandwich. Congratulations! You've earned it!

[Image: ham%20sandwich%20no%20crop%20required.jpg]

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Private Hudson - 23rd September 2004

I've quite enjoyed Burnout 3 the most this year.

It may just have surpassed Burnout 2 for best game this generation.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 24th September 2004

So far this year my winner is probably Baldur's Gate II. And I doubt anything will approach it... though Quest for Glory IV (collection, but that's my favorite of the three I've played) is fantastic too, it's not Baldur's Gate. As for consoles, Mega Man Anniversary wins. Fire Emblem for GBA.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 24th September 2004

FE and BG2 aren't 2004 games.

The best game of the year so far is probably Pikmin 2, tied with Fable.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Geno - 24th September 2004

Man, I'm hearing about this game everywhere I go. I should probably rent it, or hell, even buy it.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 24th September 2004

Weltall, you made a mistake in your post--you said that Silent Hill owns every other game---which is impossible because Quest 64 has that illustrious title. :clap:

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - EdenMaster - 24th September 2004

Technically, no game is capable of owning another game. Being a non-sentient, inanimate object, Silent Hill 4 is not capable of owning anything, let alone another game.

Well, the coveted title of best game ever is a hard-fought battle between Final Fantasy X and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It has been told that this battle will be waged for all eternity, and that no clear winner shall ever emerge.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Weltall - 24th September 2004

Darunia Wrote:Weltall, you made a mistake in your post--you said that Silent Hill owns every other game---which is impossible because Quest 64 has that illustrious title. :clap:

I don't know whether to laugh because you're making an absurd joke, or cry because you might actually mean that.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Dark Jaguar - 24th September 2004

Sadly EM, I fear this battle is won by OOT, because OOT has less of a totally linear nazi attitude.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Weltall - 24th September 2004

Oh yeah. OOT is so much better than FFX it's not even funny.

Hell, I can think of nine games off the bat that are better than FFX: FFI - FFIX. :D

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Geno - 25th September 2004

OoT > a lot of things > FFX

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 25th September 2004

Haha, I remember how much Darunia loved Quest 64! Hahaha, those were the days!

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 25th September 2004

Quote:FE and BG2 aren't 2004 games.

I meant games that I played this year. I started BGII in January. :) And got FE this summer. It's different if you mean only games released this year, but 'played this year' is a good question too...

If only games released this year count, it's not a hard question for me because I don't have very many games released this year. For GC MMAC is the only one. (other three are older). For GBA it's NES Zelda by default (other five are older). For N64 nothing counts. :D And for PC... hmm... does anything? *checks* Nope, none of the eight PC games I've gotten this year came out in '04...

So for me 'played this year' is a better question. I only have two games total released in '04. :)

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 25th September 2004

He still does, OB1! Good days are back!

:shiggy2:

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Great Rumbler - 25th September 2004

Best game of 2004? I guess I'd have to go with Fable since, off the top of my head, I can't really think of any other games that I've playedthis year that have been particularly great.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Geno - 26th September 2004

I played The Wind Waker for the first time this year. That game ruled. (Did it come out in 2002 or 2003? I think it was 2003, but the title screen has both years listed.)

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 26th September 2004

That was probably Japan date and US date...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Great Rumbler - 26th September 2004

Okay, I thought about and I have to take away from Fable the award I gave it. *gives award to Unreal Tournament 2004*

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 26th September 2004

Now that Geno mentions it, I kind of miss playing Wind Waker---even a second-rate Zelda like that can still pull my Goronic heartstrings. Maybe I'll hafta play it again.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - EdenMaster - 26th September 2004

Giving my award to MGS:TS was a tough call, but several factors went into it. For one thing, anyone who knows me knows I'm a Mega Man freak, making MMAC my initial choice for the award. However, when looking over my nominations, I changed my mind. Prince of Persia and R-Type Final were, while engrossing and fun, not of the same caliber as the others. Pikmin 2 was awesome, but I found myself losing interest in the tail end of the game.

Thus leaving me with two remaining choices, MGS or MMAC. Mega Man was fun, but Metal Gear did something MMAC didn't, it engrossed me in the conflict on Shadow Moses island. I would find myself coming back for more to see what happened. It was my first time playing MGS (I missed out on it on PS1), so it was extra fun for me. Even after playing the game through, I found myself immediately starting a new game to get the Otacon ending. When I did that, I played again, and again, and again. I played that game 6 times in fairly consecutive order (with occassional Soul Calibur II and Mario Kart breaks). I haven't played a game that religiously since Final Fantasy X hijacked my life for six months.

Thus, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is my favorite game of the year.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 27th September 2004

Was MGS:TS really that good EM~ cuz if you REALLY insist, I'll look into it.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 27th September 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:I meant games that I played this year. I started BGII in January. :) And got FE this summer. It's different if you mean only games released this year, but 'played this year' is a good question too...

If only games released this year count, it's not a hard question for me because I don't have very many games released this year. For GC MMAC is the only one. (other three are older). For GBA it's NES Zelda by default (other five are older). For N64 nothing counts. :D And for PC... hmm... does anything? *checks* Nope, none of the eight PC games I've gotten this year came out in '04...

So for me 'played this year' is a better question. I only have two games total released in '04. :)

So since I played Super Metroid this year and every year for the past... ten years or something it means that I can vote for that as GOTY?

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2004

Quote:So since I played Super Metroid this year and every year for the past... ten years or something it means that I can vote for that as GOTY?

New this year, OB1, new this year. If I was talking about anything I'd have to list Warcraft III, after all... but no, I only listed games that either I bought this year or I played for the first time this year there.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 28th September 2004

That's still dumb...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 28th September 2004

Shouldn't my choice for best game of the year be based on the games I played new this year? Seems to make sense to me... it's not the same question as 'best game released this year' of course, but it's just as good.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 28th September 2004

No, this sort of thing only includes stuff that's released in that year. That's why you don't see Seven Samurai or Casablanca nominated in the Oscars.

This year isn't over yet so choosing a best game is kind of silly... so 'best game you played this year (that was new to you) seems like a better category. Anyway, Darunia didn't specify that only games that came out this year count... just that right now that's what his award goes to. :)

And as I said I only have two games that came out this year so it'd be a very boring list if it had to be just '04 games.

You're dumb.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - EdenMaster - 28th September 2004

Darunia Wrote:Was MGS:TS really that good EM~ cuz if you REALLY insist, I'll look into it.

I would recommend it, whole-heartedly. Not only does it have a great storyline, spot-on voice acting, incredible visuals and cinematics, and plenty of easter eggs, but it also features characters you can relate to and boss enemies that make you tremble the first time you meet them. Multiple endings, great gameplay, and first-person firing mode top off this masterpiece as a must-own in my book.

Yes, Darunia, if you have the ability, I'd highly recommend you pick it up.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 28th September 2004

*Rolls Eyes*

I just thought up a cute title for a thread in which I wanted to proclaim my love for Tales of Symphonia. So sue me.

*Awaits a subpoena*

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 29th September 2004

OB1 will. Deception!

I'd rather just use it to say that I love BGII. :)

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 29th September 2004

I think we all know that by now.

And don't care.

Ooooh SNAP!

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 29th September 2004

You only don't care because almost no one else here has really played the series... you say you played BG1, but how much?

On that note I did play a bit of BG1 (read: disk one) a few days back. Just as great as it was when I first played it... a truly fantastic game that was easily one of the best RPGs ever made when it was released. Between that and Fallout the year before Interplay set a new standard for RPGs...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 29th September 2004

I played it enough to see that it's not worth a lot of playtime from me.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2004

Makes all of your talk about how you like good games and I don't sound pretty foolish...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 30th September 2004

You still like shitty games while I still like awesome games. 'Nuff said.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 30th September 2004

Saying things like that makes you look so ridiculously stupid that I don't have anything to say. I mean, if I really wanted to I could prove how those are two of the most loved RPGs ever made and how massive an impact they made on the RPG industry and how they are still remembered as some of the best in the genre, but if you wouldn't listen what would the point be? You'd just say another moronic line like that and prove yourself stupid once again. :(

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 30th September 2004

Haha, poor little ABF and the brain that couldn't.

I don't most of the genre as a whole, just like you don't like the football genre. But just because you don't like something as highly praised as Madden doesn't mean that you have bad taste in games. No, what matters is the games you like in the genres you like. For example, you like the arcade racing genre but like shit like Cruisin' which every intelligent racing fan despises.

Quote:I don't most of the genre as a whole, just like you don't like the football genre. But just because you don't like something as highly praised as Madden doesn't mean that you have bad taste in games. No, what matters is the games you like in the genres you like. For example, you like the arcade racing genre but like shit like Cruisin' which every intelligent racing fan despises.

You won't let that go no matter how many times I explain it... it's getting REALLY old. Will you actually listen for once? No? Didn't think so. Anyway, Cruis'n is a decent series if you just want to drive. It's got no depth and it gets old fast, but if all you want to do is drive and are in an arcade, it's a fun game. Not really much more than that and certainly not one of the best racing game serieses. Just a fun arcade racer. Comparing it to other Midway (arcade) racers for instance, it's got nothing on Hydro Thunder, not to mention Rush...

And I haven't played Madden so I won't judge it. Who knows, if I took the time to figure out how to play the game I may enjoy it some...

I thought of that arguement, actually. And in many cases 'I don't like the genre' works. But you have proven that you DO like games virtually identical! See: KotOR! BG is like KotOR but with less story (though it's certainly got a good and good length story, KotOR's is definitely better. And it's got stories and character development for the other party members... like BGII or Torment, but something that BGI didn't have.) and harder combat... so no, the 'I don't like the genre' reason doesn't work since you have demonstrated to, in fact, like the genre.

I've already explained, in great depth, why I don't care for PC RPGs. I will not repeat myself because you were too dumb to get it the first time.

But you still like shitty games. Cruisin' is crap no matter how you try to excuse it!

Quote:But you still like shitty games. Cruisin' is crap no matter how you try to excuse it!

Nope. It's intentionally simplistic. You think it's too simplistic... but the simplicity is the whole point of the game. And in that form it's a great arcade racer. Not worth buying at home for much of anything, due to how it doesn't last long, but fun in the arcades... but you'll never listen so that's enough of that. All I can say is that I hope someday you understand that the opinions of people other than you can actually be valid sometimes.

Quote:I've already explained, in great depth, why I don't care for PC RPGs. I will not repeat myself because you were too dumb to get it the first time.

Explaining it all away because of more complex interfaces and no direct controls when everything else about the games is the same makes no logical sense, you know...

Sure, there are plenty of people out there who dislike Fallout and/or Baldur's Gate. But generally they can come up with decent reasons... and if they can't I don't think their opinions are any more valid than yours are. Oh yeah, and actually playing them for more than a little bit helps. By your own admission you have only played them a little bit. Not enough for you to say you can have a real opinion on the stories (oh you said they both were bad, but then admitted that you hadn't played much of either one which fully negated your completely incorrect "point") not exactly the way to actually understand the games. Both of those titles take quite a while to fully grasp... I know the vagaries of 2nd edition D&D as implemented in BG are still a bit confusing to me despite how many hours I've spent in the games...

Oh, and if your complaint is about how you must search out story in these games, that is true in Fallout (and the open-endedness is its great strength!) but BG for the most part is more linear. Oh you can do things in various orders and wander all around but the main story... it's hard to miss. Kind of like KotOR (though probably not quite as extreme, due to the more open areas). Though you may disagree if your point on this issue meant something other than what I thought it did...

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - Darunia - 30th September 2004

Man, I wish I knew why KotoR doesn't work...

Quote:Nope. It's intentionally simplistic. You think it's too simplistic... but the simplicity is the whole point of the game. And in that form it's a great arcade racer. Not worth buying at home for much of anything, due to how it doesn't last long, but fun in the arcades... but you'll never listen so that's enough of that. All I can say is that I hope someday you understand that the opinions of people other than you can actually be valid sometimes.

F-Zero is simplistic, yet F-Zero is awesome. Cruisin's crappiness isn't just because of it's simplicity. The fact that you consider Cruisin' to be good shows that you are a poor judge of game quality.

Quote:Explaining it all away because of more complex interfaces and no direct controls when everything else about the games is the same makes no logical sense, you know...

That might have meant something to me if you were actually a logical person and not, well, ABF. You are the king of illogical and idiotic opinions.

Quote:Sure, there are plenty of people out there who dislike Fallout and/or Baldur's Gate. But generally they can come up with decent reasons... and if they can't I don't think their opinions are any more valid than yours are. Oh yeah, and actually playing them for more than a little bit helps. By your own admission you have only played them a little bit. Not enough for you to say you can have a real opinion on the stories (oh you said they both were bad, but then admitted that you hadn't played much of either one which fully negated your completely incorrect "point") not exactly the way to actually understand the games. Both of those titles take quite a while to fully grasp... I know the vagaries of 2nd edition D&D as implemented in BG are still a bit confusing to me despite how many hours I've spent in the games...

Oh, and if your complaint is about how you must search out story in these games, that is true in Fallout (and the open-endedness is its great strength!) but BG for the most part is more linear. Oh you can do things in various orders and wander all around but the main story... it's hard to miss. Kind of like KotOR (though probably not quite as extreme, due to the more open areas). Though you may disagree if your point on this issue meant something other than what I thought it did...

What the hell is wrong with you, Brian? I mean seriously, what is wrong with you? You remind me of a certain president from a certain recent debate who seems to be completely unaware of what the hell the other person is ever saying. Your entire response here is ignorant enough as it is, but to top things off you're responding to what you believe is what I said when in fact I said nothing of the sort! You are responding to your very own delusion! Snap out of it!

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 1st October 2004

Quote:F-Zero is simplistic, yet F-Zero is awesome. Cruisin's crappiness isn't just because of it's simplicity. The fact that you consider Cruisin' to be good shows that you are a poor judge of game quality.

Those are totally different games. And F-Zero is not anywhere near as simplistic as Cruis'n! Cruis'n is simplistic to the extreme. That is simply not true for F-Zero. Also, Cruis'n has intentionally easy courses -- the turns aren't too hard or too steep and that is by design. The main challenge is the oncoming traffic... but that is how it is SUPPOSED to be! The designer said so. Disagree with his design choices fine but don't mistake it for what it was never meant to be. You clearly are doing that...

Quote:What the hell is wrong with you, Brian? I mean seriously, what is wrong with you? You remind me of a certain president from a certain recent debate who seems to be completely unaware of what the hell the other person is ever saying. Your entire response here is ignorant enough as it is, but to top things off you're responding to what you believe is what I said when in fact I said nothing of the sort! You are responding to your very own delusion! Snap out of it!

Just trying to remember the various arguements you've said in numerous threads that could relate to this. And I think I did a decent job of it... but it's tough when you say so many sometimes conflicting things about this stuff. I don't remember you making one succinct statement of your problems with those games... you've said various things in various threads every once in a while, really...

Like, when we talked about story you said that BG and Fallout had poorly done stories. Based on what you said was a few, but not too many, hours of play. If that is correct it doesn't seem like a particularly well supported (or astute) analysis... (oh, and this is, as far as I can remember, the only place you talked about Fallout)

Then in the other recent arguement you said that you greatly prefer direct controls. My response for games like BG is that you should think of them as strategic RPGs... as in greatly influenced by strategy games, which is understandable when you look at the history of the RPG (D&D decended from wargames, for instance, as did modern strategy games).

Then in various discussions you say you dislike how complex the control scheme and interface is in lots of PC games (and BG in particular)... I guess it is moderately so but don't think of that as a bad thing at all. Different opinions...

Hmm, were there any other major categories (that would affect this)? I'm sure I'm forgetting something but don't know what it is... :)

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - OB1 - 1st October 2004

Quote:Those are totally different games. And F-Zero is not anywhere near as simplistic as Cruis'n! Cruis'n is simplistic to the extreme. That is simply not true for F-Zero. Also, Cruis'n has intentionally easy courses -- the turns aren't too hard or too steep and that is by design. The main challenge is the oncoming traffic... but that is how it is SUPPOSED to be! The designer said so. Disagree with his design choices fine but don't mistake it for what it was never meant to be. You clearly are doing that...

Design choices?? Haha, what a lame excuse. I love racing games where you have to avoid oncoming traffic, but none of the Cruisin' games offer any sort of fun. They're crap, plain and simple!

Quote:Just trying to remember the various arguements you've said in numerous threads that could relate to this. And I think I did a decent job of it... but it's tough when you say so many sometimes conflicting things about this stuff. I don't remember you making one succinct statement of your problems with those games... you've said various things in various threads every once in a while, really...
It don't have to make succinct comments. It's a complicated genre with many reasons for not liking it.

Quote:Like, when we talked about story you said that BG and Fallout had poorly done stories. Based on what you said was a few, but not too many, hours of play. If that is correct it doesn't seem like a particularly well supported (or astute) analysis... (oh, and this is, as far as I can remember, the only place you talked about Fallout)
I played much more BG than Fallout, and I complained about BG's poor storytelling methods.

Quote:Then in the other recent arguement you said that you greatly prefer direct controls. My response for games like BG is that you should think of them as strategic RPGs... as in greatly influenced by strategy games, which is understandable when you look at the history of the RPG (D&D decended from wargames, for instance, as did modern strategy games).
And I responded by saying that if I want to play a strategy game then I'll play Total War or Fire Emblem. I play RPGs for very different reasons.
Quote:Then in various discussions you say you dislike how complex the control scheme and interface is in lots of PC games (and BG in particular)... I guess it is moderately so but don't think of that as a bad thing at all. Different opinions...
I never once said that.

Quote:Hmm, were there any other major categories (that would affect this)? I'm sure I'm forgetting something but don't know what it is...

The immersion factor, you forgot about that. That ties into controls and perspective.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 2nd October 2004

Quote:Design choices?? Haha, what a lame excuse. I love racing games where you have to avoid oncoming traffic, but none of the Cruisin' games offer any sort of fun. They're crap, plain and simple!

Eugene Jarvis (also creator of Defender, Robotron, etc.) also did the Cruis'n games. And here's something he has to say on them. As you can see, it's not a "lame excuse"because it's the way it was meant to be!

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/guests/bob_ejinterview.htm
Quote:Do you think the Cruis’N games get the credit they deserve?
- Well, they were incredibly successful – we sold about 70,000 of ‘em. Probably one of the most successful series of arcade driving games. They were accepted among the arcade gaming masses, but the nerd types wanted more challenge to the actual business of being on the road. I wanted them to be more about fun and avoiding the traffic and less about fighting a bad control or difficult terrain. A lot of designers seem to believe that, when you try to turn right in a driving game, you shouldn’t actually turn right, you should go into a skid and blow up and flip over, otherwise it’s not ‘realistic’. I believe that if the player tries to turn right, then you should let ‘em – rather than messing around trying to make the game some ridiculous simulation that’s not very much fun.

So as I said, disagree with the intent if you wish (and there certainly are flaws there) but don't mistake the series for what it was never intended to be.

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - alien space marine - 2nd October 2004

This thread makes me want to kill someone! *Looks at A Black Falcon*

Another thread ruined by OB1 and ABF! (a.k.a. 2004 Goron Game Awards!) - A Black Falcon - 2nd October 2004

Quote:I never once said that.

You said that complex control schemes are bad (with Pikmin and stuff) and I definitely remember you referencing BG there...

Quote:And I responded by saying that if I want to play a strategy game then I'll play Total War or Fire Emblem. I play RPGs for very different reasons.

Fire Emblem is part RPG you know... and Total War is a completely different kind of game from BG. Fire Emblem is too, but it's closer... close enough maybe that I don't see how you could like one so much and dislike the other so much; FE and BG are, in many respects, similar! Yes, battles take a lot longer to resolve in BG and there is much more depth with each character, but there are lots of similarities.

And as far as KotOR goes, the battles are the same in substance. The difference is style -- in KotOR you need to constantly refill those action queues while in BG you only need to interact when you want to use a spell or special ability (which happens more and more often the more powerful your characters get) or if you want to change targets. But other than that... they are not different to a mentionable degree. And I know you like KotOR.

Quote:I played much more BG than Fallout, and I complained about BG's poor storytelling methods.

I don't think you ever really explained what those poor storytelling methods were, though... I remember your opinion on storytelling in the case of Metroid Prime, but BG? I don't remember you saying why it was a poorly told story. It certainly has nothing to do with the reasons you complained about MP, because BG tells its story in a much more conventional way...

Quote:The immersion factor, you forgot about that. That ties into controls and perspective.

Right... it makes almost no sense for me (especially the controls part), of course, but it's clearly a factor too... though (whether you admit it or not) it IS contradictory with that position and how you clearly like strategy games like Fire Emblem.