Tendo City
Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Who has the Zelda bonus disc? (/showthread.php?tid=223)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - A Black Falcon - 3rd March 2003

Ooh! Post 200! When's the last time a thread in TC was this long? Its been a while...

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - OB1 - 3rd March 2003

I forgot, the forum always crashed before we could get very far.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - A Black Falcon - 6th March 2003

True... well, not this time obviously... :)

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Sacred Jellybean - 6th March 2003

This isn't that far. The countdown from 1000 got farther than this.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - OB1 - 6th March 2003

Yes but this forum has only been up for a little over a month now.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - A Black Falcon - 10th March 2003

Well, I went to the store today... and played the Wind Waker demodisk for the first time. Wow, that game is great... it really does look like a cartoon in 3d -- as I expected, its like LttP in cel-shaded 3d.

Does it look nice and play well? Yeah... the controls do take some getting used to (like the addition of a movable camera... I don't know if its a good addition honestly... or Z as a major button... :( ), but are good. Oh, and Link definitely looks dumb... and when I play it I do see how it could be processor intensive in some areas... but not how it can be more so than normal games at that detail level -- so many flat-shaded polygons... but whatever.

Its fun, and (as I knew it would) plays a LOT like OoT... but I just with it'd been a more realistic style... Would they have to tone down Link's moves or something? Maybe... but the game would be better for it. Nothing to be done about that now, though...

All I hope is that the graphic style doesn't turn off the mass market so much that the game will sell badly, but its all too possible...

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - OB1 - 11th March 2003

Rolleyes

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - big guy - 11th March 2003

apparently nintendo didn't cancel the pre-order OoT deal thing...my friend pre-ordered a few days ago and returned home with the OoT/Master Quest disk. i'm not sure if maybe that store just didn't get many pre-orders, or had a lot of copies to begin with and never ran out...but considering it was at the mall, i find that scenario unlikely.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Dark Jaguar - 11th March 2003

Well then, that certainly seems more sensible. Then that's just another time I shouldn't have just blindly trusted some article...

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Great Rumbler - 11th March 2003

Doesn't Wind Waker come out in like two weeks?

I played all three of the demos for a few minutes each and after that have not gone back to play them again. Not because I didn't like the game, but because I want it to a relatively new experience when I start playing it for real.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - A Black Falcon - 11th March 2003

I only played the Dungeon demo, and didn't finish it... not enough time to do any more.

Oh, and I have no idea about the mall, but the Kay-Bee in our town didn't have any of them... I wonder if Wal-Mart does... probably not.

Oh, and OB1, I'd say that saying "I liked it" and "the graphics are good for their style" is high praise considering what I've said about it before... but nothing can change the fact that it'd have been better off with realistic graphics.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Laser Link - 11th March 2003

There are only 3 demos? At E3 there were 4. The volcano dungeon, the pirate island fortress, Link's home town, and a sailing mini game. I bet they pulled the sailing game, eh? You wouldn't want anyone thinking that the entire game was like that would you? It was cool though because the way the cartoony water effects are really nice.

Yeah, three -- Dungeon, Stealth, and Boss... but I only played Dungeon, and not all the way through. Oh well...

That demodisk has demos of TWW and Metroid Prime, as well as a bunch of gameplay videos... I wish it had more demos than that (like the PS2 and X-Box systems in stores... they usually have like 5-10 demos...), but oh well...

WHY doesn't Nintendo put demodisks in Nintendo Power? It just makes no sense! Raise the price, or make them optional for more money, or something... but it'd be so great... and would get me to subscribe.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Great Rumbler - 11th March 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
but nothing can change the fact that it'd have been better off with realistic graphics.

I wasn't aware that your opinion was fact...

Well, it is for me... and for most of the American (and European) public too.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Sacred Jellybean - 11th March 2003

Yes, Waker comes out in just 14 days! Where is your countdown, Grumbler? You give special attention to E3, but not this?

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Well, it is for me... and for most of the American (and European) public too.

This is exactly what I was talking about. You seem to think that your opinion is objective fact. And wow, did you poll the entire country to see what everyone thinks? I could just as easily proclaim that the only people that don't like the look are those few insecure kids that don't want to play something as "kiddy" and "uncool" as Wind Waker.

The game is fucking awesome-looking, and Miyamoto made the right decision. Good thing he's the genius game designer who created Zelda and decided upon this new look instead of you, hmm?

I never said that the public's opinion is the correct one... it usually isn't... its just that to most people the cartoon look is a minus to the game that really only playtime can fix... and since not everyone will play it it will affect sales, without question.

But how do you know this? Because of some people on the internet? There's no way you can tell what "the public" thinks.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - A Black Falcon - 12th March 2003

Oh come on... I'd think its quite obvious... and haven't you said as much plenty of times before?

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - Private Hudson - 12th March 2003

I know many people (muchos casualus) who liked Zelda and haven't commented anything negative about the knew look. I showed a couple of people today, and they both went "Wow, that looks amazing".

Judging by my paradigm, the entire European, Australian and American market loves and prefers the new Zelda look.

Who has the Zelda bonus disc? - OB1 - 12th March 2003

A year ago most people hated it. I think it would be safe to say that. But ever since E3 and later last year, several people on message boards from just about every major gaming site have turned around and realized just how great the look is. I've also been to Best Buy quite a few times since they've gotten the demo in (they have it on the regular small screen and a cool 27 inch Wega to play on), and everyone from little kids to adults have oohed and ahhed over it.