Tendo City
Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. (/showthread.php?tid=216)

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Weltall - 6th February 2003

This is a special one, because, as the thread title states, this is a game of my own creation... sorta.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 6th February 2003

That was nice of you, ending the 2nd challenge after I get the highscore... :)

Heh, well I couldn't do any better than that really :)

You know though, it's uncanny. Compare your high score screenshot to my high score screenshot. We died in the exact same spot, and only 2000 points and one second apart Eek

Yeah, so anyway, play this game. Bet you can't beat it :D

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 6th February 2003

Wow! Now THAT is one hard game... what are they, nuts? Its beatable? (I assume there are 8 worlds...) Why would people want to make NES games harder... aren't they already frusterating enough? :(

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - WhiteFleck - 6th February 2003

I run through the levels... I run for my life.

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
Wow! Now THAT is one hard game... what are they, nuts? Its beatable? (I assume there are 8 worlds...) Why would people want to make NES games harder... aren't they already frusterating enough? :(

THEY aren't nuts, I am... I made this hack :)

And it is beatable, I've tested it thoroughly. Thing is, I've never once beaten it without save states. It IS hard.

Wait till you see level 3-3... that level is pure sweet hell :D

Well then, you are nuts... NES games are already near-impossible! Who needs hard versions? ... oh well...

Still... its Super Mario Bros 1, even if it is made a lot harder... and SMB1 is one of the NES games I've played the most, due to owning SMB Deluxe for GBC... :)

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Weltall - 8th February 2003

Hey, look at the bright side... at least I added the warp zones back in... the initial version of my hack had none :D

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Dark Jaguar - 8th February 2003

Do ya got any warp zones that send ya back to old worlds? That's one of those EVIL tricks in Lost LEvels that I loved :D.

Anyway, since I own SMB, and since I'm almost positive your hack is freeware :D, I think I'll take part in this challenge. Hey, actually I think you sent me this hack before, but you say it's updated so I'll get this updated one then.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - OB1 - 8th February 2003

Play that Zelda hack located over here: http://www.planetemu.net/php/roms/roms.php3?cat=goodgbx-L

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - geoboy - 8th February 2003

Hey, what'd you use to make that hack, Welty?

*wonders what kind of demented creations he could make*

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 8th February 2003

Okay.. more people claim to be playing this one, but where are your score screenshots? :)

Warp Zones are good... I just wish I knew where any of them other than the one in 1-2 were...

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - lynxtor - 9th February 2003

I got a score of around 50,000 until I took a short break, during which Weltall told me I WASN'T allowed to state save, hence rendering my score useless. :cuss:

Anyway, he probably used the YY-ME-E editor, or SMB Editor. I use SMB editor. SMB Editor = good.

--lynxtor

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - EdenMaster - 9th February 2003

Ah yes...Welty sent me this a year or two ago, and my keyboard was never the same afterwards. I could never beat it through.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 13th February 2003

Oh come on... surely ONE of you people who have claimed to want to play this but haven't will actually submit a score? Honestly, 78,000 isn't that great...

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Weltall - 17th February 2003

Gonna start a new one yet ABF?

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2003

This one's over? OK... I would start a new one, but it looks like no one cares, so I don't know if it matters when like 2 people will enter it...

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 17th February 2003

This one's over? OK... I would start a new one, but it looks like no one cares, so I don't know if it matters when like 2 people will enter it...

It does seem as though the Emulation Forum was a failure, doesn't it? We had better turnout when it was done in Tendo City. :(

Yeah... but I can't think of anything I can do more than we already have to encourage better participation...

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Dark Jaguar - 17th February 2003

Popped in again. Hey Weltall, sorry about Emulation forum. To be honest though this isn't exactly a topic so rich with discussion as to warrent it's own forum. However, posting this in Ramble would surely get more of a response. As for me, I will now play this game just because I can't come up with another excuse right now, moral or otherwise :D. First though, I will suggest maybe that this forum get closed, all the topics being moved to Ramble or multiconsole first though. It's your board of course, but I'm pretty sure such topics would get answered more there.

Yeah, closing this is probably best. I was hoping though that having the contests would bring discussion to the board... and it couldn't even bring players.

Alright cats and dogs, now you really have no excuse. Let's play!

I think I'll be playing this some more! I had a fun time here. I only played the first level the first time through, but now I went as far as I could on this time through. I didn't break 100000 like I wanted to though... I never found that warp zone ABF found, likely because all I need to do is hop over that L pipe wall, which I purposly avoided so I wouldn't get into the really hard levels yet. Thanks for the challenge, though with all ABF had said I was afraid it would be REALLY hard. Then again, maybe it's just that I grew up playing SMB so much I've almost memorized the physics and thus my brain is prepaired for every single situation the game could toss at me, EXCEPT ONE!

Yes Weltall, I have a bone to pick with you. In world 2-2, where I lost the last of my lives, you may notice I am inside a pipe. There is a reason for that. You see, you put some HIGH LAND right where the midway restart point is. You have to check and make sure every single midway point is lowest level ground, because that's where Mario appears. He appeared right inside the ground, and thus was pushed to the edge of the screen (which scrolled a bit but then stopped scrolling) and I ended up having to time out my last lives. Rather annoying indeed, but I guess I should have been able to survive the second half (stupid mistake, I actually swam up to avoid fish that would have passed over me, and bounced off the ceiling, where I could only avoid bouncing into a fish twice before the third bounce made contact...). Anyway, thanks for this interesting hack. Just be sure to fix this glitch and check to make sure the floor is bottom level at the midway point in all levels.

Awww.... thats not fair. First Weltall closes the forum I was mod in, then DJ beats my score in Weltall's SMB... :(

Technically you have the farthest level reached victory. Not all's lost. Besides, when others as familiar with this as I am around here like lazy show up, my score is likely to be completely decimated by whoever finds a turtle on some stairs first.

Farthest level reached? But I used the 1-2 warp to 4-1 and died in 4-2... thats only 3 levels completed, and you completed 5...

Oh... Weltall, now that this competition is alive again, when do we end it?

And I wish I was still a mod... even if I didn't do anything. None of the mods do...

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Weltall - 18th February 2003

Technically you are still a mod... the forum is still there, it's just hidden. And empty. But you should still be able to see... what only mods can see :D

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2003

I didn't say most levels beaten, I said farthest level reached, even if you did use a warp pipe to do it you still got ahead of everyone else.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2003

The Emulation forum isn't well hidden... you can get to it by the button on the top of the screen that says 'Emulation' ... :)

Oh.. and don't mods only have any special powers in their own forums?

Oh, and DJ, level reached isn't the goal. High score is... so as of now you're ahead.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 18th February 2003

:)

Oh... BTW, this is world 4-3. For some reason, when I die in the middle of world 4-2, the stage number becomes that block... Confused

Uh... there should be a attached pic here with the score of 95,000...

will it work now? This is from the main menu, but as I said, I died in level 4-3, after using the warp from 1-2 to 4-1.

Weltall... those invisible blocks in the middle of jumps are EVIL!

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Dark Jaguar - 18th February 2003

Well I broke 100000 this time around, but I kinda lost it during that first flying fish level. I'll try again later.

And ABF, I didn't say you won, I was trying to do that "good sportsmanship" thing where you complement the loser, you spoiled sport!

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2003

Compliment the loser? Huh? Ohhh... like with you in SC or War3... :D

Anyway... the new highscore is here. I got to level 2-3... 140,000. :)

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - Fittisize - 19th February 2003

Alright....I d/led an NES emulator from KazaA (JNES, I think) and now I don't know how to run it...at all.

Don't pretend to act like you don't wanna help me.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 19th February 2003

http://fceultra.sourceforge.net/ Use FCEU... the emulator's not updated anymore (no new versions), but its a pretty good NES emulator... plus, it takes screenshots... hit F9 ingame and it saves a screenshot. Yes, most emulators do that... but not all of them save them in a format that you can then upload here (in this case PNG). All the screenshots I've put in these threads? Unaltered... I just upload my latest screenshot I took... :)

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - N-Man - 20th February 2003

Oi Weltall... cheap deaths galore... I find there are a lot of "conveniently placed blocks" just before the traditional Mario angel-jumps-of-death.

Special CGC #3 - Weltall's Super Mario Bros. - A Black Falcon - 25th February 2003

Well... no new posts in 5 days. Clearly this contest is over... I win again, with a score of 140,000. I haven't lost any of the challenges yet since we restarted the contest... new one coming sometime soon.