Tendo City
Emulation and stuff - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Den of the Philociraptor (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=43)
+--- Thread: Emulation and stuff (/showthread.php?tid=2154)

Emulation and stuff - A Black Falcon - 19th August 2004

Nintendo also, if you remember, patented emulators for all its systems (or at least the Gameboy, not sure of the others) so that it's illegal to even HAVE a emulator for some of their consoles now...

Emulation and stuff - OB1 - 19th August 2004

Why'd you bring up emulators?

Emulation and stuff - Dark Jaguar - 19th August 2004

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6672963.WKU.&OS=PN/6672963&RS=PN/6672963

Interesting, this seems to be patenting all manner of portable game emulation. It is not limited to Nintendo's own systems at all, just to handhelds. So, only Nintendo can make a Neo Geo Pocket Color emulator legally now.

How odd...

Why are you guys talking about emulators now?

Example of Nintendo shutting down fan developers (of, say, fanmade games that run in emulators)...

But you don't need emulators to make fan games.

Fan games FOR GB, OB1... it should be obvious...

I wasn't talking about that, though.

Uh, isn't this thread about bad moves Nintendo makes, specifically about fan developers? So I think that it's essentially the same topic!

There was a time that TSR sued some people for talking having D&D webpages or talking about D&D on chatrooms or bulletin boards...

Emulation and stuff - OB1 - 23rd August 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:Uh, isn't this thread about bad moves Nintendo makes, specifically about fan developers? So I think that it's essentially the same topic!

No, because emulation can actually hurt Nintendo!

Emulation and stuff - A Black Falcon - 23rd August 2004

But my point was that emulators don't have just illegal uses...

Their main uses are illegal, however.

True. But not ONLY, which makes Nintendo's move not good.

Still, it's not the same thing as this thread's actual topic.

How so? Nintendo stifiling fan games versus Nintendo stifiling fan games?

One involves emulation which is illegal, and the other involves game-making from scratch using java or something which is perfectly legal. Well, not totally legal, but it poses no threat to Nintendo. Emulation does.

Emulation and stuff - A Black Falcon - 24th August 2004

You have obviously never heard of fan-made games for consoles that run in emulators, I take it, though I have mentioned it three or four times in this thread.

Emulation and stuff - Dark Jaguar - 24th August 2004

I happen to have a few emulators on my computer, like my PS1 emulator. Emulation itself isn't inherantly harmful. Nintendo themselves has made a number of NES emulators for various systems in the past.

What I end up using my emulators for is things like letting other people play my PS1 games when I'm busy already using my PS2 (and am too lazy to bother setting up my old PS1, also I wanted to see how good a job they do anyway :D).

And yes, I've played more than a few fan games. I tend to have a problem playing anything based on a game I don't own, but I have a metric ton of Super Mario Bros 1 hacks :D.

Emulation and stuff - OB1 - 24th August 2004

A Black Falcon Wrote:You have obviously never heard of fan-made games for consoles that run in emulators, I take it, though I have mentioned it three or four times in this thread.

*sigh*

I REALLY believe that you are completely incapable of understanding more than one point in any given sentence or paragraph. YES. I KNOW that people have made fan games for use with emultators. That's BESIDE the point. The whole concept of console emulators for the PC can be harmful to Nintendo as it enables people to play their games for free without even having to own their hardware.

Please tell me, is that really that difficult for you to understand??? Seriously. :screwy:

PC games can be played illegally even easier and they haven't tried to make it impossible to use hard drives or something...

That's great, but again it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Why are you so damned hell-bent on ruining every single thread you post in???

Um, it's not "ruining" a post when you mention someting very similar! If you want to say that this thread was "ruined", I'd say that it started when you started arguing over something that I thought was obvious -- that these are closely related issues.

That's it, I'm just going to start moving your posts whenever you soil my damn threads.

Make a new thread if you want to talk about something else!

OOOhhh how horrible, I mentioned a nearly identical issue to what you were talking about in your thread! That should never be done again, of course... I'll have to remember that when I talk in one of your threads instead of trying to be on topic I should talk about something completely different. Consider the lesson learned...

The saddest part about this is that you don't even realize how off-topic and idiotic you are.

The only sad thing about this is how you can't figure out how two cases of a big company using legal tactics to squash fans who want to develop (freely released) games based on their copyrighted images (that run on some kind of free system) are similar.

It detracted from the topic of the thread, and as you can plainly see now in the thread we're actually on the right topic!

This is essentially the same topic.

You're an idiot.

Emulation and stuff - Dark Jaguar - 24th August 2004

I don't get it, is this a fight about being off topic or something?

Far as I can tell, everything was on topic until the fight started... also this is TC...

Eh, basically yes. To sum things up... ABF is retarded.

I know this is TC, but that's not going to stop me from keeping things on topic for at least a few days. The first reply to my post about Nintendo shutting down fan games was about emulation and NOT on topic. NOW it is.

OB1 thinks I'm off topic and I don't think I am, that's what the issue is.

You derailed the thread as per usual. That is a fact.

No, it is not. The only fact is that you can't understand the obvious (that these are the same topic)...

ABF, why are you so stupid? I'm really struggling trying to figure that out. Can you not see how different this thread is from the other one? As soon as I got rid of your off-topic posts people actually started to respond to my point instead of following up on your tangent.

Well it's different because of the arguement, but I meant the point I originally made, not this arguement.

You went off on a whole other topic, the topic of emulation. That's not what I was talking about.

No, not of emulation as in emulating released games, emulaTORS. Different.

Yet, amazingly, it still wasn't what I was talking about.