Tendo City
Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Let's just agree to disagree, okay? (/showthread.php?tid=205)

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - OB1 - 4th February 2003

Boy, I'm actually pretty bored of the whole non-stop debate thing going on over here. You have people like ABF who believe their own opinions are "fact", and then people like ABF who can't admit when they're wrong.

But I digress. From this day forward I will make a conscious effort to argue as little as possible unless it's in the debate forum! I will even be the bigger man by letting notoriously wrong people like ABF and Hudson tell everyone their crazy opinions on things without responding to them in a mean and spiteful manner.

:D I jest.

Do we really have to disagree on everything? Everyone has their own opinions, and they shouldn't have to be afraid of speaking their mind because someone might get mad at them for it. So let's all try to be a little nicer to each other, okay? I'll be the first one to start.

Cheers! Drunk

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - EdenMaster - 4th February 2003

Who are you, and what have you done to the real OB1?

It's just that lately I've felt that the main reason why I come here is to argue with people like Hudson and ABF, which has gotten tiresome. This is a Nintendo forum, damnit! Can't we all just get along?

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - A Black Falcon - 4th February 2003

Most people here get along, despite differences... you just post so much, and are so intractable in your opinions, that its tough... won't you ever admit even the POSSIBILITY that other people's opinions might be valid too?

*becomes the bigger man*

Yes ok, whatever you say ABF.

Well, you can say it, but will you admit that anyone else has a point on any of our recent debates?

Well, its not exactly true that you never give in... in the 'adventure games' debate, you did retreat from your position that they weren't games... but that's the only example of that that I can think of...

I may not change my opinions on much of anything, OB1, but at least I admit that they are opinions and that, on many issues (not all of them), other ones are correct too... I don't see you doing that much at all...

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - Italian_Pyro - 4th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
*becomes the bigger man*

Yes ok, whatever you say ABF.

¤gets soaked by a wave of Ob1's sarcasm¤

:D

Chuckle

Ok I'll quit.

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - Great Rumbler - 4th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by OB1
Boy, I'm actually pretty bored of the whole non-stop debate thing going on over here. You have people like ABF who believe their own opinions are "fact", and then people like ABF who can't admit when they're wrong.

But I digress. From this day forward I will make a conscious effort to argue as little as possible unless it's in the debate forum! I will even be the bigger man by letting notoriously wrong people like ABF and Hudson tell everyone their crazy opinions on things without responding to them in a mean and spiteful manner.

:D I jest.

Do we really have to disagree on everything? Everyone has their own opinions, and they shouldn't have to be afraid of speaking their mind because someone might get mad at them for it. So let's all try to be a little nicer to each other, okay? I'll be the first one to start.

Cheers! Drunk

I don't agree with any of that. You are obviously wrong, just admit it.

:D Drunk Drunk Drunk

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - Dark Jaguar - 4th February 2003

I agree with your intentions OB1. I will say that the only debate I was actually serious about was the abortion thing in "uh-oh", but still I had attempted to try and stop arguing so much. It's nice to see you want to improve, and make a better attempt to reveal when you are joking. In all reality, we wouldn't have known you weren't serious about that first paragraph unless you actually SAID "I jest". It's just that it actually sounds like something you would really say, mainly because it was hard to tell that you were in fact joking every single time you said "I've always been right, you need to admit you are wrong". I can see that now, and in fact realize it was silly to think any smart person would actually say something like that, but it was kinda hard to see through it. For future refference, try not to keep the whole attitude of that joke up for like months at a time. It makes it easier to tell you are joking.

Oh, and don't worry, I'm not being sarcastic here. I am aware you are joking since you went out of your way to say so in a few conversations on MSN. Anyway, one thing I would like to make clear is that I didn't actually take any debate seriously and often joked about how pointless it was. Often my opinions would be what I thought, and I kept up at it because to me debating is a fun game, but I was always aware how silly it always was.

Anyway, here's the flaw. We get into these things, and often even if we don't take the debate itself seriously at all, we take the person too seriously. I do believe this is the case with all of the 3 of us who get into this the most (we know who we are). In a debate, the one thing one should NEVER do is have any emotions at all aimed at the other person. That's how wars are started :D. We should get like vulcans when we think of the other person in the debate, not like klingons.

For instance, I COULD get upset right now, and point out that OB1 is only now realizing the very point I was trying to make all ALONG! But I won't, because I'm the bigger cat.

That was a test, I'm sorry for saying that. That's an example of the kind of things we did in fact. So, let's just end this stupidity, and for now on when we state opinions, no more rebuttles about how the other person is "wrong" about something or whatever. I think we all understand it's just not funny at this point. (I myself have never been a fan of the kind of friendship where everyone insults that one friend who just did something funny.) So, let's end the random saying of "idiot".

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - EdenMaster - 4th February 2003

People disagree, there's no way around that. A debate is good clean fun as long as it doesn't become a flamewar. So let's just go along with the way we've been doing things. Seems we're doing fine to me.

I seem to disagree with a bunch of people here... there aren't many PC gaming fans here, unlike some Nintendo forums (like Nintendorks... there seem to be a lot higher percentage of pc gamers there...). However, with most people debating is ok... it usually doesn't have a 'conclusion', but it goes alright. With OB1 here, though, it doesn't work too well... maybe its the fact that he seems committed to arguing whatever (usually lame) point he is defending forever... or maybe its his arguing style, I don't know... I just know that it comes off as more annoying. And I know I'm not the only person who feels that way (but I won't name names).

OK... response to DJ. Honestly, I have no idea when OB1 is joking or not... he NEVER lets on that he is, so either EVERYTHING is a joke, or he's serious (at least somewhat), and just feels that he never will let himself lose an argument... its that refusal (in words, anyway... I have no idea what he actually thinks...) to accept any other ideas as even possibly true that really gets VERY annoying.

If he was like you, DJ, and made it more clear when he wasn't serious, it'd be easier... but he isn't. He writes it mostly serious (when its a real debate that is).

Did I believe that first paragraph? Sort of... I could see him saying it... but it would surprise me. OB1 doesn't seem the type to retreat like that, which is why the fact it is was a joke wasn't surprising. I do wish I knew OB1's real opinions on the debates though -- does he really dislike (and discount) text adventure games that much? Or think all console style games played on PC (even with a decent gamepad) are bad? Or any of his other numerous opinions? I don't know for sure...

Oh, and as for you, DJ, your main problem is that your posts often don't make complete sense. Maybe I'm guilty of that sometimes too, but you do do that sometimes. (like that post... some of it isn't exactly clear)

Oh... and I'd stop saying anything about OB1 (like how debating him gets REALLY annoying, etc) once he stops using his standard debating "tactic" of insulting / swearing at his opponent... but since he does it all the time, I don't see much chance of THAT happening. Unfortunately... it only makes him look stupid...

My second post was honest.

Let's just agree to disagree, okay? - Private Hudson - 4th February 2003

DJ's posts make almost TOO much sense.