Tendo City
DS Internet, or lack of it - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: DS Internet, or lack of it (/showthread.php?tid=2040)

DS Internet, or lack of it - A Black Falcon - 13th July 2004

http://cube.ign.com/articles/530/530147p1.html

Quote:Miyamoto: DS Wireless Internet Access Possible
But Nintendo will only pursue DS-to-DS connections for the time being.
July 13, 2004 - In an interview with Earthbound creator Shigesato Itoi, Nintendo game development guru Shigeru Miyamoto said that, with the proper software, the Nintendo DS system could be used as an Internet terminal via wireless LAN. But, he added, Nintendo's main focus would be to use the DS' wireless connection capability to link multiple DS systems for multiplayer gameplay.

The interview, which is being posted piece-by-piece on Itoi's personal home page, http://www.1101.com, covers various topics like first-person shooters and Yuji Naka. In the most recent update, Itoi asked: "This is more of a technical question than a game-fan question, but when Nintendo announced the DS, they said that it would use the Wireless LAN (IEEE802.11) standard. So, for example, does this mean that you would be able to connect to the Internet?"

Miyamoto replied, "That's right. Well, what Nintendo has always been pursuing is mostly the connection of DS systems. But, if you had wireless LAN in your home, and an application or an OS was released that connected to it, it would be possible to use the DS as an Internet terminal."

Miyamoto went on to add that Nintendo generally tries to avoid situations in which the user is faced with too many potential snags in setting up gameplay. "We don't want to be telling users, 'If you don't connect that, it won't work' or 'If you don't have one of these, too bad.' If we can, we want you be able to just buy the machine itself, and have fun with a new type of play."

The DS' designers, noted Miyamoto, were thinking of cramming even more functionality into the unit. But ultimately they realized that they had to sell the hardware at what would be considered a reasonable price, eventually settling on the announced specifications.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5440
Quote:News Article: Miyamoto speaks on DS WiFi
News Date: 07/13/2004
Source: GameSpot
Link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/13/news_6102407.html

Discuss it in TalkBack! [41 Comments.]

Find out what Nintendo's doing with the wireless internet functions on the DS.

In an interview recently posted on the website of Earthbound creator Shigesato Itoi, Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto made some comments about the Nintendo DS's 802.11 (also known as WiFi) wireless functionality. According to Mr. Miyamoto, the possibility of a wireless internet connection on the Nintendo DS is there, but Nintendo is not currently developing any software that will enable to DS to access it. Apparently, Nintendo is leaving this part up to third-parties. He said that Nintendo is not interested in developing internet software for the DS. The company is very interested in keeping the DS an "out of the box" experience that will require no accessories, such as a wireless router to link systems over the internet via broadband connections.

Mr. Miyamoto was quoted as saying: "We added the wireless LAN (IEEE802.11) to the DS mainly for the handhelds to communicate between each other, but if someone releases appropriate software that allows it to connect to wireless LAN access points, it could also be used to connect to the Internet."

Update: There has been a lot of confusion surrounding Mr. Miyamoto's quote. Apparently Miyamoto-san is only saying that Nintendo will not be making an application to browse the internet over the DS. They are only interested in using the WiFi to link DS systems in remote areas. According to a close friend of PGC, independent gaming journalist Chris Kohler, "If you look at the questions that Itoi asks, he's talking about using the DS as a web browser. He says it's a 'technical' question, not a 'game fan' question. And he asks if the 'specs' of the machine would be enough to support its use as an 'Internet terminal,' as Miyamoto puts it." Thanks to Chris for clearing this up for everybody.

DS Internet, or lack of it - Dark Jaguar - 13th July 2004

No different than XBox Live really. That too would perfectly allow web browsing via the right software, but they decided not to make that software and focus entirely on the gaming end of things. Same with all the online games I've played on PS2 actually, not a single one has a web browser app in them though they are perfectly capable of accessing the standard internet. Indeed, ANYTHING that accesses an online service is capable of that.

DS Internet, or lack of it - Great Rumbler - 14th July 2004

I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before a third party releases software that allows you to connect to the internet.

DS Internet, or lack of it - Dark Jaguar - 14th July 2004

It connects to the internet anyway, there's a diff between that and the www part of it.

Anyway, as yet, not a single company has even tried making web browser software for the PS2 or the XBox.

DS Internet, or lack of it - A Black Falcon - 14th July 2004

I'm kind of confused though. It uses WiFi... that requires stuff like a wireless router, right? That seems like a sizable barrier... or are they expecting you to go to a place with WiFi? Seems kind of odd, really... I mean having it is a good idea, but there's definitely a sizable barrier to using it.

Quote:or are they expecting you to go to a place with WiFi?

Yeah, I think you'd actually have to go to a WiFi hotspot, unless you have wireless internet at your home.

Quote:but there's definitely a sizable barrier to using it.

Not so much anymore. A lot of major cities have WiFi hotspots all over the place and so do airports, hotels, and many other places.

Remember, this is ABF, not me.

Quote:Yeah, I think you'd actually have to go to a WiFi hotspot, unless you have wireless internet at your home.

It's just kind of strange to talk about ease-of-use and then have just WiFi and not cabled connections as well... wireless costs more and is not as common, you know. Having WiFi is great, but it really should have some kind of cable option too. It probably won't, but it'd sure make using the net connections (meaning anything that involves contacting a central server, not just browsing) a whole lot easier.

Oh, doesn't it also have some other method for connecting to other DSes near yours? Like within some range they can just connect without any other hardware or something?

Yeah, that's right. Also, a central server isn't quite needed from what I understand.

Considering it is a portable system, a wire just wouldn't make any sense. I will say this, all the wireless routers I've ever had the "pleasure" of using SUCK. I'm not sure if it's just TERRIBLE luck or if the technology in the average home user's router just isn't developed enough, but the connection is iffy and is constantly failing, even when the two devices are right next to each other.

It wouldn't make sense to support the most common method people use for connecting to the internet? I mean seriously how many people have a wireless router in their homes? Not too many I bet compared to the number with either no router (or cable internet) or a normal wired router... it just seems strangely limiting for a company that has talked as much as Nintendo has about the lowest common denominator and all that.

They probably figured it was just too much trouble to try to fit a cable connection in as well.

Well it makes me annoyed with them. I don't have wireless internet and really don't have much interest in getting it... or a laptop (which of course you need for wireless internet to make much sense), for that matter.

My school has wireless internet. *hangs around near school playing DS*

WiFi does not define all wireless connections, it is a specific kind.

I know that!

Here's a handy site that lists all the free WiFi hotspots in the nation by state:

WiFi Free Spot

Not all, just the ones they list... :)

I don't know of any free WiFi places in this town, and none are on that list... ah well, not that important to me. Wait, one hotel in town (not on that list) has it for guests. Not that that'd help me...

DS Internet, or lack of it - Great Rumbler - 15th July 2004

Quote:Not all, just the ones they list...

All the FREE WiFi hotspots.

DS Internet, or lack of it - A Black Falcon - 15th July 2004

They list some not really free...

Like this one. :)

Quote:The Portland Harbor Hotel - for guests only - 468 Fore St.

DS Internet, or lack of it - Dark Jaguar - 15th July 2004

And of course, there are likely a few owned by small companies that aren't mentioned either.

Anyway, I checked out some local spots. Not as many as I thought there would be, especially down town, but it's fine. There are a couple that are close enough. Of course, a chunk are just way too far away for me to consider them for normal use, maybe if I end up in an hour long drive to the other end of town near one...

Quote:Like this one.

What it means is that there is no fee to access the connection.

So by private I imagine it requires a username/password combo (or just a password) in order to access it, and they only give that password if you rent a room, in other words you are renting the access too. So, it's not free so much as an unexpected bonus upon purchase, or maybe it's expected. I'm sure some people go to one hotel over the other over this kind of thing. I know I would.

Yeah... which is why hotels that have it generally advertise that on their sign. Like air conditioning and cable TV some decades ago? :)

No fee? As DJ says, you kind of have to pay for a room so I'd certainly say that there's a fee...

You are paying for both the access and the room. Basically, anything that comes with the room you are paying for, by default. I wouldn't say the BED was free, nor would I say the air conditioning is free (who advertises air conditioning? That jet engine is EXPECTED, yeesh I know I'd die of heat stroke without one right now, and that's keeping in mind that even with the AC on right now it's not enough to make me comfortable, just enough to make so I'm ONLY sweating and not hallucinating), so why would I say the WiFi access was free? That's my thinking anyway.

Some WiFi terminals require you to be signed up for the service that provides it. That's what I mean by "fee".

But signing up and a fee are not inseperable. I know what you mean though, I think...
Anyway, most WiFi terminals I've heard of are either free use for all in the area OR you have to work for the company. Signing up for a service involving a fee seems a little... odd... I mean, that would have to be a fairly wide spread network and once one leaves the area where it's setup, it becomes useless and if they find another terminal, they have to deal with THAT one's access privilages anyway.

But you made it sound like WiFi in a hotel room you buy wasn't a fee-based system, which is a pretty strange idea. :)

You people are clueless. *leaves thread*

DS Internet, or lack of it - OB1 - 19th July 2004

Wait what does this mean exactly? Are they saying that there won't be a web browser or that they're not making any software that supports Wi-Fi? Please don't tell me that I won't be able to play Animal Crossing DS with my friends in California (and yes, Oklahoma too, GR).

DS Internet, or lack of it - Great Rumbler - 19th July 2004

I think it just means that they aren't going to make software that allows you to surf the web, but I admit that the wording is confusing.

I hope you're right.

DS Internet, or lack of it - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2004

I thought that that's what they meant too...

Web browsers? Yeah, though why didn't they just say that? They said "internet".

DS Internet, or lack of it - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2004

Yes, 'internet' could mean various things. But from the way the question and answer are phrased I assumed that they meant surfing...

Yeah I hope that's the case.