Tendo City
Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) (/showthread.php?tid=1995)

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2004

Well, that's the name of the poll!

Since the polls, as of now, only let me have ten options, I was limited to the console games as opposed to the GB games.

Oh well, I have to say I'm having a hard time picking. Honestly, the series kinda went into a rut starting with 5. 1 was the start, 2 really made it fun with bosses that actually behaved like bosses should and decent sized levels, as well as the fun mood. 3 expanded on that but also added RUSH! Sure, Rush was just a dog that contained the various special items of 2, but Rush was cool! Every robot boy should have a robot dog, or something. Anyway, that game was cool because it had PROTOMAN, and he's cool, as well as being able to fight remodels of all the MM2 bosses. MM4 added the Megabuster, really changing how battles were fought for the first and pretty much last time, plus it had the fun of TWO evil fortresses to trudge through. Also, Protoman again! Plus, russians! The two after that, from what little I've played, really didn't do much... MM7 was on SNES, but it too didn't really do much. MM8 as well... Megaman and Bass was the first real change. Sure it recycled the big change from MMX4 (another character with their own moves) and it kinda crippled it at that (Zero in MMX4 actually learned sword moves instead of learning the same buster based moves that X did, and Bass should have learned his own unique moves too), but it was fun. Plus, it's the hardest of the games I've played, and in a game like this, that's important.

Anway, it's between 2, 3, 4, and M&B. Then, using methods you would call stupid, I reduce it to 2 and M&B. From there, I finally... well, I guess I'll go based entirely on robot masters. MM2 had Metal Man. He's like one of the coolest ever, namely due to one of the most useful weapons ever. Half the bosses were weak to the metal blade! M&B had, well actually two of the bosses were actually rebuilds of MM8 bosses. Of the originals though, Burner Man is the coolest. So, Metal Man vs Burner Man... Sorry fire crazy thing, but Metal Man wins. So, I vote that the series topped out with the second game! (Besides, the fire weapon in that game could be charged just like the Mega Buster later could.)

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2004

Mega Man 4. Because I like it and it was one of the first MM games I played. :)

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - OB1 - 18th June 2004

MM1 was the first one I beat, but MM2 was the greatest leap in the series. Still, I have the fondest memories of MM3 which is why I voted for it. Everything after that is still good fun but just more of the same and can't compare with those first experiences.

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - EdenMaster - 18th June 2004

Mega Man 3, hands down the best.

Actually, MM4 might have been the first MM game I played. I think it was, actually... on a friend's NES... and it was very good, so of course I have to pick it. That and that the only other classic-series game I've played is MM2 (not counting emulation, but I only really played MM1 much there...)... that is, if you don't count MM1 and 4 for GB.

MM4 had a nice addition, but yes MM2 was the biggest leap the series saw (extra items, though generally better boss AI). MM&B would have that, except it just copied off the X series. MM2 was my first experience with the series, and I have fond memories of that (like inventing silly games like "guess which cloud I'm hiding behind in this part of Air Man's stage), so I just had to pick it.

That dancing Gemini Man is cool, but you are forgetting something. You need to have TWO of them!

I like the charging shot. IMO Mega Man just doesn't feel quite right without it...

As for MM2, it's good certainly, but a bit easy.

Play Difficult Mode. In Japan, Rockman 2 didn't even HAVE a difficulty selection. When brought here, they made an easy mode. However, rather than calling the orignal mode "normal" and easy mode "easy", they called the easy mode "normal" and the original "difficult". So, Difficult is MM2 the way it was meant to be played. A few changes aside from damage are different enemy patterns and similar things. For example, the giant robotic cylinder stacks will actually break apart all over the place when you shoot them instead of dying instantly. Be ready to dodge the parts, but that's not too hard to do really. Anyway, it's pretty fun and that ending was pretty cool as well as funny! "He's an ALIEN! ACK! Oh wait..." :D

So, just remember when you play MM2 that difficult is the only way to play, except normal, which is also a way to play, but it's actually easy mode... Well, you get it...

Having played MM2 first, the MM4 addition of the charge shot really felt like an ADDITION rather than something that was "meant to be". Of course NOW it's one of his trademark moves, just like the slide added in MM3 became, as it should be. MM4 was the last to add a lasting trademark, actually two. Finding hidden powerups has been in every game since 4, as well as the ability to go back to stages. Now, MM1 also had ONE hidden powerup, as well as being able to go back to stages, but it clearly not the same. The "hidden" part wasn't even there, as it was RIGHT IN THE OPEN and if you missed it you were an idiot, but you know. Anyway, they took that out of MM2 and MM3 but with MM4 they added it, made it actually a challenge to find the two bonuses, and KEPT it. MM2 added the 8 boss constant, as well as all manner of special abilities like the rocket sled. MM3 added Rush the amazing robot dog as well as the slide, and also let you fight the MM2 bosses in Doc Robot form. MM4 added the Mega Buster, hidden items and true alternate paths, and gave you access to TWO evil laboratories instead of the one. The rest just pretty much copied those additions from then on.

MM1 for GB... no slide, no dash, no charge shot, no Rush... it's missing so many things I think should be in all MM games... still fun, but clearly old. (though the biggest problem with the game is the flicker, not missing things like that.)

Seriously, sometimes it slows down with ONE enemy on screen.

Oh, as for additions, MM4 for GB introduced the store that you buy items from by collecting things in the stages. It also added Beat.

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - Dark Jaguar - 19th June 2004

No, MM5 on NES added Beat.

Favorite Megaman Game (Original series only) - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2004

Ah. Beat was useful, but his power meter drains fast and you can lose him if you get hit...

Not having those games, only reading about them in Nintendo Power, I didn't use Beat until Megaman 7, where he functioned like fishing lakitu in Mario Kart, basically saving you from bottomless pits.

He attacks enemies! And if I remember correctly, if you get hit with him with you you lose him for the level... or something like that.... I don't remember about saving you from pits... he might. It's been a while since I played that game.

Um, read my post again.

Uh, I did then, what's your point?