Tendo City
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Mega Man Anniversary Collection (/showthread.php?tid=1994)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2004

:mm:

So then, who's getting this? While every gamer who's ANY gamer has played at least one Megaman game (I'm sorry, one of the things EVERY gamer has to do is play as a robot taking on an evil scientists, it's just a prerequisit), most of them certainly don't own EVERY game in the original series, maybe not even half.

Thus, this game should have a game for pretty much everyone that they haven't played. For me, that's MM5 and MM6 (and oh yes, the previously unreleased in America Power Battles games). Also, since I made the mistake of trading MM3 (one of the best) years ago for Ultima: Exodus, I'll be getting that back too.

Anyway, I'm certainly interested in 4 new games. Well, if I haven't played it, it's new to me, as well as getting back a game from long ago. Other than that, there's special artwork and remixed music ala the Rockman collection for PS1 (that was never released here, but then again each of those were sold BY THEMSELVES). It'll be weird playing an 8bit looking game with PS1 quality music, but hey I'll adapt :D. I think the original music will also be in there, in fact I'm fairly sure of that.

Anyway, I know of at least two other than me that would want this game. Two questions though. First, are you getting it at the end of the month, when it's released? I don't think I will be, I'll be waiting a while, with baited breath. There are just too many games for EVERY system, also I won't be buying ANY games for a good few months. Second, which version? Now, the GCN version has a bunch of interviews and a history of the series movie in there. The PS2 version has the Megaman anime. I could go either way concerning the extras myself. I'm not really a big fan of the Megaman anime (I think I saw one or two episodes before), so the worth of that is notched down to the level of the worth of those interviews. I am interested in those interviews though, but honestly that's only good for one watch and then never viewing it again. Anyway, all in all I myself pick the PS2 version. In the end I picked it purely due to the controller. The GCN one is more comfortable... OVERALL. HOWEVER, for Retro gaming, the PS2 controller has done the job FAR better. Now, one could make some joke about how Sony's controller designs are ancient or whatever, but anyway that's just how it is. So, that's the version I'll pick. On another note, since MM8 was made for PS1 to begin with, I'll be able to IMMEDITALY know how to control that without any problems. Since it's also coming to Gamecube though, I just had to put this in the Nintendo forum.

Oh yes, I spoke of MM8. I have to wonder which version of MM8 they'll pick. One was for PS and the other for Saturn. The Saturn version, while it didn't do transparency effects very well, had a few bonuses. That is, mini-boss appearences of Wood Man and Cut Man (by the time of Megaman 8, Megaman is too strong for those two to really be more than mini-bosses anyway).

Oh yes, also there's the alternate collection of the 5 Gameboy games that's coming to Gameboy Advance (which colorizes the first 4, and maybe recolorizes MM5 GB to look nicer than the Super Gameboy pallette). That also interests me, because out of all those GB games, I only played MM5. That one however still ranks as one of the best Megaman games I've played. It was stolen some time ago though, so I don't even have that. Thus, I'm interested in this collection as well. On a side note, according to Megaman & Bass's CD collection, the GB games each actually are part of the main Megaman storyline. The storyline really isn't all that serious in the original series, but it's interesting none the less. There are comments like Pluto, a MM5GB boss, being the prototype for Slash Man, a MM7Console boss.

Anyway, these two collections will contain all of the original series EXCEPT for two games. Megaman & Bass (which is currently still being sold, so they are still making money from it), and Wily Wars. I have Megaman & Bass, so no problem. However, Wily Wars is one I'd like to see. I've seen screenshots, the graphical makeover is really kinda bad (especially Megaman, eck), but they included a special tower with 3 super strong bosses and Megaman had access to all the special weapons from MM1-3. It would have been nice if they had put that in there. They could have borrowed Sega's GCN Genesis emulator :D.

:mm:

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2004

I'd argue that Wood Man is little better than a miniboss in Mega Man 2, as well... :)

Yeah, this is just about a mustbuy for anyone who plays games. I don't have any of these... just MMX1, 4, and 5, and MM1 for GB... though I've played MM2 and 4 for NES and MM4 for GB (remember, coming in not too long is the GB Mega Man collection)... I'll probably get this, but I don't know exactly when. Zelda 1 for GB and FSA for Cube are above it on my list, I think.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 18th June 2004

If you've got Metal Man's saws or Heat Mans fire, he's a breeze, but he can be a bit trying with only the Mega Buster.

I am so elated about this game, I can't wait for it to come out. Personally, I've played every Mega Man 1-8 and I love each of them (3 the most), so having them at my fingertips at all times will be bliss, as will the brand new games we've never even seen.

Only a few more days...

*hums Spark Man theme*

<bgsound src="http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/edentourney/SparkMan.mid" loop="infinite">

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - OB1 - 18th June 2004

I suck at Mega Man games now so I think I'd break my controller if I bought this collection. :D I have all of the NES games but this set also includes the SNES and PS1 sidescrollers, right?

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 18th June 2004

It includes Mega Man 1-8 as well as a couple of arcade games that never made it to the US.

The X games will not be included.

As in, all the classic-series titles except MM&Bass. That's not in it because it came out for GBA last year. So between this, the GBA collection of GB games, and MM&Bass for GBA you can have the whole classic series.

An X collection would be okay, but that series is still going so I don't know if they'd do it... anyway all I want are X2, X3, and X6... :) X7? I guess. But it doesn't look as good as the older ones.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2004

MM&B didn't finish off the original story though, so I can assume they will plan something soon. Four Swords Adventure has proven to me that 2D can be taken into AMAZING directions on the latest hardware and that it wasn't pointless to make it for the GCN rather than the GBA, so Megaman 9 (or whatever they call it) in the future could be an amazing looking game if they decided to finish off the story.

Oh ABF, I wasn't calling Wood Man a mini-boss in MM2. Oh no. He's easy enough with Metal Blades of course (as are Bubble Man and even Metal Man, ESPECIALLY Metal Man), but he's still a major boss. No, I was talking about MM8, the PS game. Well, Saturn version. In that version, as an extra, they stuck in Wood Man and Cut Man as hidden mini-bosses for finding some of the bolts. (Oh yes, in MM8, the bolts are limited, limited in such a way that you can't buy EVERY upgrade at the shop, so you have to pick and choose what you want most.)

Anyway, I so want this collection. Sure, the series had it's last major innovations in MM4 (hidden powerups you didn't have to get and the Megabuster, GREAT ideas as well that did make MM4 a very fun game), but they are all pretty fun. I still sorta treasure MM2, but hey it's hard to really decide if I like that, MM3, MM4, or MM&B the most. Actually, yeah I better put MMV for GB in there. The "Worlds" games (as they are called in Japan, the Rockman Worlds series) really reached it's pinnicle there, as far as my experience with ONLY that game (and reading general commentary from other people). Anyway, I'll certainly get both these collections eventually, though not yet. Well, that was pretty much a carbon copy of the opening post...

Anyway, it'll be fun. Finally, I can get all the Megaman games without selling a kidney! (Even used, it costs a bit to get ALL these, and a lot of searching is involved). I do still sorta wish Wily Wars was in there, but it's a loss I can live without.

Hey Edenmaster, I bet ya can't wait to be hearing the new updated music eh? I'd like to hear Spark Man's new tune as well. Namely though, I remember a number of tunes from the other games. I love both of the MM2 Dr. Wily's Lab themes (two songs, 4 levels). They both just got the groove rushing, really made me, as a kid, feel like I truly WAS in a horrible evil scientist's lab. And honestly, if there's a contest between Dr. Wily and that veggie tales villian on being Wily, Dr. Wily wins hands down! Sorry LL, classic show, but Wily was there first and he's just plain wily! Heck, it's in the name! (Though as a kid I thought it was Dr. Willy :D) Dr. Light and Dr. Wily... OR, Santa Claus and Albert Einstein!

Wily (In Zero's mind during a flashback in MMX4): Our rivalry is what gives me motivation in life! Now go, destroy him! That's an order!
(Honestly, if you are going to build a robot with free will just go give him orders.... well that's just plain WILY!)

...NOW THE WORLD IS MINE!

(And honestly, there isn't any other villian who can pull off looking evil while in a giant blue and gold flying saucer thing.)

Anyway, when it comes to Dr. Wily vs Sigma, well totally different things there. The original series was so light hearted in general, while the X series got all serious. It's hard to believe that they are both in the same timeline, but they are. There's a very clear reason why a big famililar W flashed on Zero's head crystal and he suddenly snapped.

Generally, I'm surprised I managed to stay interested in a series that has, more than many other, just recycled the exact same formula to the ends of time. It's just such a perfect one though! However, one thing. The Zero series really has taken it in a new direction. I would like to see more original sub weapons though. As it is, there are generally 3 or maybe 4 and the only thing that can be added is an element type. If I were to make one, I'd have each of the robot master's weapons be somewhat customizable, with the various customizing bits hidden around the stages. So, one could make that lightning subweapon suddenly shoot as a straight bolt, or as rapid shot, based on the add-on. I think that'd be fun, maybe... It would certainly be new.

Quote:Oh ABF, I wasn't calling Wood Man a mini-boss in MM2. Oh no. He's easy enough with Metal Blades of course (as are Bubble Man and even Metal Man, ESPECIALLY Metal Man), but he's still a major boss. No, I was talking about MM8, the PS game. Well, Saturn version. In that version, as an extra, they stuck in Wood Man and Cut Man as hidden mini-bosses for finding some of the bolts. (Oh yes, in MM8, the bolts are limited, limited in such a way that you can't buy EVERY upgrade at the shop, so you have to pick and choose what you want most.)

I meant that Wood Man is really easy and could almost be called a miniboss... :)

Especially in MM2 for GB.

Quote:Anyway, I so want this collection. Sure, the series had it's last major innovations in MM4 (hidden powerups you didn't have to get and the Megabuster, GREAT ideas as well that did make MM4 a very fun game), but they are all pretty fun. I still sorta treasure MM2, but hey it's hard to really decide if I like that, MM3, MM4, or MM&B the most. Actually, yeah I better put MMV for GB in there. The "Worlds" games (as they are called in Japan, the Rockman Worlds series) really reached it's pinnicle there, as far as my experience with ONLY that game (and reading general commentary from other people). Anyway, I'll certainly get both these collections eventually, though not yet. Well, that was pretty much a carbon copy of the opening post...

It's called "Mega Man Anniversary Collection", for GBA. Same name, but it's the collection of the 5 GB games. I've played 1, 2, and 4 on GB and 5 a little in emulation and they're fantastic. I highly recommend it, definitely.

Quote:Anyway, when it comes to Dr. Wily vs Sigma, well totally different things there. The original series was so light hearted in general, while the X series got all serious. It's hard to believe that they are both in the same timeline, but they are. There's a very clear reason why a big famililar W flashed on Zero's head crystal and he suddenly snapped.

Wily vs Sigma sounds like a good game title... :)

Oh, and X is serious, but the story has major problems making sense at times and has so many plot twists that sometimes it's tough to take it as seriously as I think they want you to. :)

Quote:Generally, I'm surprised I managed to stay interested in a series that has, more than many other, just recycled the exact same formula to the ends of time. It's just such a perfect one though! However, one thing. The Zero series really has taken it in a new direction. I would like to see more original sub weapons though. As it is, there are generally 3 or maybe 4 and the only thing that can be added is an element type. If I were to make one, I'd have each of the robot master's weapons be somewhat customizable, with the various customizing bits hidden around the stages. So, one could make that lightning subweapon suddenly shoot as a straight bolt, or as rapid shot, based on the add-on. I think that'd be fun, maybe... It would certainly be new

Yeah, I complained about Age of Empires II copying the first game, and about how so many sequels are the same as the games before them, but MM has certainly more nearly-identical sequels than any other game (across the various serieses), yet I also still find them really fun... strange, that, and a sign of how incredibly well designed they are.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 19th June 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Hey Edenmaster, I bet ya can't wait to be hearing the new updated music eh? I'd like to hear Spark Man's new tune as well. Namely though, I remember a number of tunes from the other games. I love both of the MM2 Dr. Wily's Lab themes (two songs, 4 levels). They both just got the groove rushing, really made me, as a kid, feel like I truly WAS in a horrible evil scientist's lab.

You bet. To me, the music in Mega Man games is one of the best parts. All the music fits so well into that particular stage, and it's so catchy you can't help but love it. I've got over 100 MIDI files from Mega Man alone.

My favorite Mega Man Tunes:

Spark Man (The best)
Dust Man
Cut Man
Gravity Man
Metal Man
Magnet Man
Pharaoh Man
Needle Man
Quick Man
Bright Man
Drill Man
Shade Man

Oh, I love them all, but these are my favorites. The only one that I would probably place in the mediocre range would be Shadow Man's theme. I would have preferred a more dark, slow song for him, but instead they gave him an upbeat, poppy song. It's not a bad song, mind you, but form Shadow Man, they could have done better.

And the MM2 Wily Fortress music was awesome too :)

Oh, and they'd BETTER keep that part in MM7 where Mega Man turns to watch the moon appear from behind the clouds in the beginning of Shade Man's level! That was great.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - OB1 - 19th June 2004

No X games? Crap.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Dark Jaguar - 19th June 2004

From what I've read, all the games are pretty much just emulated ROMs of the originals, so MM7 will have that. They only decided to add modifications to MM1-6 just like the PS1 releases that were only in Japan with the music. Even the sound effects are still the same, only the music was updated.

Ya didn't include Heat Man's music? Nuts to you! :D Also, the Megaman 2 boss music is my personal favorite of all boss music themes!

Ever listen to those remixes of Megaman tune made by the fans? It's like fan art, only... with sound. I've heard Spark Man's theme remixified before.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2004

Read the IGN review! It's MM1-8, and the two Japan-only arcade games (Mega Man: The Power Battles and Mega Man: The Power Fighters). Two modes for the NES games, one a perfect emulation (one addition: shoulder buttons switch weapons) and the other the altered one with the remixed music. The remix also has redone menus in the games, and the MM8 onscreen display in all games (you know, the healthbar and stuff), with its added info on it.

The PS2 version has a episode of the Mega Man cartoon on it. The Cube one has producer interviews.

Oh, and OB1, this is a classic MM collection. It wouldn't be right to put X games in, that's a different series! And we've known the contents of this thing for months now, so I don't know why it's a surprise...

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - OB1 - 19th June 2004

Well I never bothered reading the previews. How Mega Man 8 is more classic than Mega Man X is beyond me.

Because Mega Man X is an X game! This is CLASSIC Mega Man. As in not X, not Battle Network, not Zero, not Legends... classic. I don't have any idea why you'd ever expect X games in a collection like this. They don't belong and shouldn't be in this collection. MM&Bass should, but I understand why they left it out.

Anyway, 10 games isn't enough for you? That's all but one of the major console classic series titles, you know, and that one was just re-released last year... so I don't see anything to complain about. The NES Mega Man games are great. 7 and 8, as well as those two arcade games, are just bonuses. :)

Well putting some X games in would be fine by me, but I understand leaving them out for some future X collection.

Being able to switch weapons on the fly with L and R should prove useful. I myself still sometimes use the pause feature simply because, in some cases, it's faster in the sense that I can freeze the action and choose EXACTLY what I want instead of trying to dodge enemy fire while surfing to the weapon I need.

Oh yes, it seems this collection will be sold for about $25. That's good to hear. I'll probably be able to get it a lot sooner than I first thought. While it seems only ONE episode of the Megaman anime is on the PS2 version, at least it also has the "history of the series" FMV. Oh well, not like I wanted the anime all that badly anyway. So, while at this point the extras are totally in the Gamecube's favor for me, I still think I'll go with the PS2 version if only for the controls.

I thought it was $30... probably depends where you buy it from. :)

And yes, I also use the pause anyway sometimes. But the shoulder-button switching is very, very useful. It is much faster... great for any time you don't have to switch immediately (as in pause switching).

Yes, one episode of the MM show. You'd expect more? It has all those games on the disc! I don't know if it could fit more... at least not at a good quality level... okay, it probably could. But not definitely. Anyway, yes, producer interviews do sound like the better extra.

Controls? Bah, I have no problems with the Cube D-Pad... :) Sure it's a little small, but it works fine. I use it for SvC2 and Soul Calibur 2...

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 19th June 2004

Heat Man? Feh, his music was good but not one of my favorites. I have a remixed Spark Man too, maybe it's the same one you heard, it's pretty good.

I've heard they didn't include X because it's more of a "spin-off" series than actually part of the Mega Man series itself. It'd be like buying DVDs of the first season of <i>Cheers</i> and expecting the first season of <i>Frasier</i> to be there too. They're seperate franchises, and I always enjoyed the classic games more than the X ones anyway.

I'd heard 30 bucks for the collection. That is an absolute steal, any gamer in their right mind has absolutely no excuse to get this. Though from what I've heard, the Power Battles games aren't very good...

Tuesday...I've already got it pre-ordered.

I've heard mixed reviews of them, but no matter, I still want them.

Anyway, ABF, you ARE aware that MM1-7 and the Arcade games take up, at the most, probably like 20MB of a 4 GB DVD aren't you? MM8 would take up the most, but even that didn't take up an entire CD when it was released on the PS. That easily leaves over 3 gigs, and that's including the emulation software to run things. Take up another gig for the artwork and all the music remixes (and that's being liberal), and you have 2 gigs to store movies. One of them being the producer interview, that still leaves room for a bit more episodes of the show than they have. Anyway, my point is the only game that takes up any sort of significant space is MM8. The rest of those games don't take up ANYTHING siginficant. I mean, Nintendo could easily cram every single NES game they ever made and still have an extreme amount of space left over on one of THEIR disks. It's just FMVs and such that actually take up any sort of space. No matter though, honestly I didn't care for the anime anyway.

Anything you hear about why they didn't include them is just people defending Capcom's decision to make more money off a later collection :D. I don't care, almost all the original series is enough for me. I mean, the X series may be a spinoff, but it's still clearly set in the same world and not some alternate reality or something. The question is exactly what happened to the original Megaman, and Bass for that matter.

Oh yes, what happened to that cool avatar you had of a dancing Doc Robot with the sombrero EM?

DJ. MM1-7 are a few megs, yes. But add MM8. That's one CD (remember, music too!). Then, add the remixed CD soundracks for 1 to 6. That's a good block of space, probably a couple of CDs worth uncompressed. And remember that for really high quality a half hour show can be, oh, at least 700MB... you're forgetting those CD soundtracks, DJ. A gig? Depends on format. If it's uncompressed, it's fairly large... Sure, they might have been able to fit another episode on. But not as much as you think.

It's like Sega. They said that after all the extras, Sonic CD wouldn't fit on the Mega Collection disc... and they're probably right, once you condsider all of what else is on that disc... even though the games are Genesis ones and small.

X > Classic. Oh, I love the classic MM games, but X is better... I haven't played 7 much at all and never played 8 or MM&Bass, but I just don't have as much interest in them. They don't have the classic game look (being SNES), and don't have the features of X that make it better than the classic ones... I'd rather play X than MM7, certainly. But X doesn't belong in this collection. That'll have to wait for an X collection. :)

They could have easily fit it on there if they ditched the previews of other games. What I heard is they couldn't get the emulation working right. Regardless, it's really rather silly they couldn't have done it.

Okay, my point really was that you said "with all those games on there", but it wasn't most of the games, just the music and MM8's presence.

Uncompressed (CD) music is what, 10 megs a minuite? I think so...

Okay, maybe if they cut back on the other extras and stuff they could have put on several more episodes. But with these things you want a variety of extras! I bet that having those CD soundtracks is a better addition, really, than another episode of that show... :)

I was talking about Sonic in the first paragraph... Of COURSE I'd rather have the music remixes than an anime I don't care about!

Yeah, but you still sounded annoyed that they didn't have more episodes in...

And I was referring to Sonic as well when I said that people expect extras in discs like this and like a variety of extras.

If it's a game or a bunch of stupid previews of upcoming games, I pick the GAME.

I do too... but Sega either thought differently or secretly hates us. :)

Capcom, now that's just a pure money grab. $30 for this, and then $30 more for the five GB games, and then $30 more for the one that isn't in either collection? :)

Come to think of it, this collection is also missing Megaman Soccer. But then again, while using "classic" Megaman, that's obviously not part of the main storyline since, unlike Bowser, Wily just isn't QUITE dumb enough to actually limit his robots to playing a game in order to take over the world. I mean, yeah, he IS stupid and all (why would anyone lock their most POWERFUL weapons in huge empty rooms and use the weaker ones to fight?), but not THAT stupid.

True. That game never happened. :) ... but you're right, it should have been included as a bonus... and the Japan-only Megaman Famicom boardgame-style thing (I think that's what it was...).

Okay so, Megaman Wily Wars, Megaman Soccer, and apparently this Mario Party style Megaman game, are the only things missing from these two collections.... Oh yes, unless I miss my guess, there was also a Megaman game for Game Gear. It was similar to the GB games in that it remixed NES game bosses, but it was apparently unique in level design... I think. I dunno, that wasn't made by Capcom, like those PC games, so maybe Capcom just wants to brush those ones under the carpet and pretend they were never made.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Weltall - 19th June 2004

Wily Wars was neat to see the new graphics, but otherwise it was unspectacular.

So let me know for sure: The collection DOES have new music or does not? Believe it or not, this will be a major factor in deciding whether I will buy it or not (as I own most of them already and I hate the idea of re-purchasing games).

I still think this collection should have been made on GBA.

Well MM8 would have been hard to get on GBA. Even ditching the FMVs and redoing all the music, there are still a LOT of frames of animation there. Anyway, it's no biggy to not have them portable.

Oh yes, here's the deal about the updates Weltall. There is the original mode and an updated mode. In updated mode, graphics are untouched except for the menus and the energy meters. The sounds are also the same. However, the music for 1-6 (and according to IGN, 7) has been remastered. It's PS1 quality because they are basically using the same remastered tracks they used for the PS remakes that never saw the light of day in America (which also didn't have the graphics touched at all).

Yeah, I have to say from what I've read, Wily Wars isn't that big a loss. The only thing I would have liked to see from that is the Wily Tower anyway.

Oh yes, aside from that update, there's really nothing added to them. I wouldn't get it if you already have each and every Megaman game already, unless you take the side of those who did like the arcade fighter games and buy this just for those two. As for me, it's for those two as well as the NES games I don't own (as well as one I traded away long ago).

Now here's the thing. After I get this collection, for PS2 due to the controls, I won't have ANY justification for keeping Megaman 8 for PS. I'll have the EXACT same controls, and the game will play exactly the same. Aside from being able to play that on the original Playstation, there's no reason I can see to keep it. I'm tempted to sell it when I get the collection, tempted anyway. I might just keep it "just because".

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 20th June 2004

Mega Man Soccer...I'm a die-hard Mega Man fan, and even I thought that game sucked, so I'm not that broken up about not having it. The remixed music and the fact that I'm getting 10 games on one disc sells me. As for which system...I'd given it some thought. Both systems have advantages, but ultimately, I chose the GameCube version, thanks in part to the Wavebird and that I'd rather see producer interviews than anime (which I don't like anyway, but let's not reheat that old debate again). Minor reasons, but they're minor differences between each one. I'm sure I'll get used to the controls quickly. Keep in mind that most of these games were meant to be used with a D-Pad and two buttons, I'm sure I'll manage.

Oh, and I forgot about Doc/Stan, DJ. I think this is a fitting time to bring him out of retirement so he may swing his arms in rage once more!

And you should know what happened between the Mega Man series and the X Series! You've watched Bob and George's Cataclysm, have you not?

In any case, GameCube wins my vote, and I can't wait till I get my hands on this little bundle of joy. Besides that, it will be my 32nd GameCube game, completely filling a shelf of my DVD rack! Huzzah! How impressive that will look...until I get one more game and have it all by itself. Hmph. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - A Black Falcon - 20th June 2004

The problem with the Mega Man TV show is that it's BAD. I haven't seen it, but I've heard more than enough to know that that show was awful...

On the topic of games, I counted what I've bought so far this year. 4 for PC, 4 for GBA, 3 for GC, and ... 6 for N64. Yup. I'm up to 35...

It made me realize how badly I need a new N64 controller... but I don't know if I'm quite desperate to get a cheap third party one from EB yet...

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Weltall - 20th June 2004

You know what else is awful?

Captain N.

Seriously, for the longest time, nostalgia made me think that show was as great as I thought it was as a kid. But then I downloaded an episode a few days ago, and it was so terribly stupid it made me cry.

A part of my childhood is forever dead.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - A Black Falcon - 20th June 2004

I downloaded and watched two eps of that. It's not the worst cartoon ever, but it is kind of bad... :)

But you know what? I downloaded and watched all 12 episodes of the Zelda cartoon. Really. It's just SO awful that I couldn't resist watching all of them...

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Dark Jaguar - 20th June 2004

Yeah... they did suck utterly... Now, I haven't watched those old Mario cartoons recently, so memories of THAT are still preserved. I figure there's an old tape of that somewhere around here that'll ruin it for me though... Good thing the games hold up! I gotta say this though. Captain N COMPLETELY ruined the characters we love. Megaman became a Data wannabe, Simon Belmont became a self absorbed pretty boy, Pit became "Kid Icarus" and I forget how his persona was ruined, and they actually added a STORY to Tetris! Further more, Mother Brain became a reject from Little Shop of Horrors, with Dr. Wily actually SERVING her rather than going on his own neferious deeds, and for SOME reason they decided a boxing fat man and an eggplant wizard would make excellent villians. Ganon and Link and Zelda SEEMED to be as they should be (from my memories anyway, better than how they were in their own show anyway), but of course even then I saw how they censored the whole ressurection spell so instead of it being Link's blood (well, they WOULD have to kill him), they just used some "magic potion". I will say this, watching Ganon completely blow away the Mother Brain was cool, and I don't think I want that memory ruined by watching it now.

Honestly, producer interviews really ARE better than a single episode of an anime that probably sucks anyway. I'm just not sure I care that much about the interviews, or would care after seeing them once, but I know I'd care about the controls even after a while. Don't get me wrong, I know the controls are simple, but I MUCH prefer the PS2 d-pad to the GCN one. Considering the issues I had using the GCN d-pad for all the NES games in Animal Crossing, as well as the Sonic Mega Collection, I'd like a decent d-pad. It just really sucks that Capcom had to go with this system exclusivity thing, and in a way that CLEARLY favors one over the other at that. I mean, if the PS2 got something like... an actual robot, that would be something to make up for it. Actually, there's an easy solution for me. I'll simply convince a friend to get the GCN version so I can watch those interviews. It's what I did to get access to all the versions of SC2 after all. Then again, that was easier because I had one friend who liked Spawn and another that liked the Tekken series, specifically the old man from the series, and I myself LOVE the Zelda series (what are the odds?). I'm sure one of my friends doesn't care about controls as much as getting the interviews so it'll work out just fine. I do know that one already preordered the PS2 version, getting a "I beat the 8 robot masters" shirt from the deal...

Oh yes, EM, I did see those cataclysm movies. Ran is cool, and Capcom should one day include all the Bob and George in some collection :D. They would only need to um... threaten to sue, and boom, the guy would let them! :D Still, I am interested in the OFFICIAL story behind it.

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2004

I thought the Zelda cartoon was bad in a good way. As in, so abysmal that it's funny... it was more fun to watch than Captain N, certainly. Honestly, it was entertaining. Captain N... uh...

I watched a couple eps of the old TMNT and felt kind of similar. I think it's held up better than those others, but it's not nearly as good as I remember it being...

The only problem with the Cube D-Pad is that when you use it many hours a day it can make your thumb hurt. But that doesn't happen much. I really have no complaints, and don't see what the problem is... so it's a GBC/GBA D-Pad. So?

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - Dark Jaguar - 21st June 2004

No, my problem isn't an issue I don't care about, it's an issue I DO care about! Why can't you read my mind?!

Really though, the issue I had wasn't the size so much as size AND placement together. It adds up to it being uncomfortable to use. It's just awkward where it's at plus it's size. I know some people don't mind, but I do, and that's why I'm getting the PS2 version. I managed to convince a friend to get the GCN version, so I'll be able to see those interviews.

I just don't see why there are so many complaints about the GC pad, but relatively few about the identical size of the pad on the GBC/GBA...

I just explained that it's the placement COMBINED with the size that makes it uncomfortable to me.

NEWS TIME!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/megamananniversarycollection/review.html

According to Gamespot, ONLY the PS2 version will have the music remix. Weltall, this is for you so now you know what version to get. Now if you ask me the superior version is a lock. Developer interviews do trump one episode of a likley bad anime, but updated music tracks trump interviews I'll only be watching once anyway.

Well then, I'm a LOT more comfortable with my decision. Using the d-pad on a few GBA games on GCN, ya know the d-pad isn't really all that bad when ya get used to it (though I do prefer the PS2 pad of course). However, I just can't pass up the music remixing. To be honest, it makes sense. That GCN disk likely got filled up with just MM8 and the interviews. Anyway, there ya go. If you ask me, the PS2 version is the one to get now.

If that is true, why don't IGN or Gamespy mention it? Neither of their reviews say that the Cube version is missing that... strange... And all the official information (from Capcom) said that the alternate music tracks were in both versions. It'd be really weird if they weren't.

http://cube.gamespy.com/gamecube/mega-man-anniversary-collection/524933p1.html
Gamespy focuses on the guy's dislike of making low-rez games high-rez by line-doubling...

Mega Man Anniversary Collection - EdenMaster - 21st June 2004

Dark Jaguar Wrote:According to Gamespot, ONLY the PS2 version will have the music remix.

WHAT???

Explode

You have GOT to be kidding me! Only the PS2 version?! I've already pre-ordered the game for Cube...why the hell would GameSpot print this and NOBODY ELSE???

This is a major factor to me, I'm going to have to look into this a bit more. If true, man I hope my GameStop has extra PS2 copies, and I can put my pre-order money towards it.

I'd need more than just Gamespot to believe that it's not there, given that everything else I've seen has had no hint that it's missing...

Well the official Capcom site for the game says it's there, but the PS2 version is just like the Cube one, so I don't know whether to trust it or not...

They could have decided to cut it out near the end of production, but I know I won't be the only gamer that will be very upset if this so. It will devastate the GC sales, if you ask me.

Gamespot is saying that the GC version has a remixed song on the main menu, and some songs accessible from the soundtest, but the Navi Mode ("Make it look like MM8") doesn't have the remixed soundtrack. No one else said that. So right now, I'd say that we don't know, really...

Only one thing to note. IGN said that at E3 that the game didn't have the remixed music and had some other problems, and later said that those problems were fixed. So... in conclusion, I think we have to wait to really know.

Well I think we should know by now, the game comes out TOMORROW! How long are we supposed to wait? The game is done, all they need to do now is ship it, and they've probably already started that.

To further confuse those of us buying this game, take a gander at one of the features listed on Nintendo.com for the game:

Quote:Footage from original television commercials and 30 minutes of anime

I doubt Nintendo would tout a feature found only on it's competitors version...let the speculation of who-the-hell-is-getting-what continue.

I'm glad I didn't preorder it! Now I think I'll be waiting for the fan reviews at GameFAQs to get an idea of who gets what. Of course, thing is some of those reviews are sometimes obviously written by people who never played the game...

Anyway, upon further reading, it does seem like the GCN version HAS the tracks but they aren't able to be played during the games like the PS2 version. To that I have to say "whaaaaaaa?" as it just doesn't make any sense.

Gamespot is generally a reliable source, so that's why I posted a link there, but yes this is suspicious. Tomorrow, after a friend of mine gets the PS2 version they preordered, I'll at least be able to find out what's on THAT version for certain. I will say this, by the end of this, SOMEONE will be disappointed in what they bought.

Weird that this all comes up at the eleventh hour....

Here's another note ABF. You say that it's odd no one else brought this up, but here's the thing. Big news sites often neglect to metion a LOT of information people like us actually consider important. For instance, it wasn't until the review you linked to that I FINALLY found out for certain which version of MM8 was being included in the collection, which is something that people like us would CERTAINLY like to know.

As it turns out, by the way, it's the PS version... I had hoped it would have the extras from the Saturn version in there, but it seems that's not the case...

Oh yes, I want to bring up one other question I have. I wish to know exactly what the instruction manuel situation is. In Super Mario All-Stars, they basically compressed all the original booklets into one big one. They kept all the important info and the stories weren't compressed or anything (not that it matters in Mario :D). In Sonic Mega Collection, they went all out and actually had ALL the original booklets scanned at a decently high resolution and put right on the disk for zooming and panning to one's delight. They were the US manuels as opposed to translating the Japanese ones, but that would have been too much to ask of them (oh right, I'm paying them... :D). Anyway, I want to know what they plan on doing here. A short 3 sentence summery of each won't cut it. Throughout the Megaman series, the instruction booklets have contained a lot of info about the story and characters that just aren't in the games themselves. For example, playing Megaman 3, someone would have no idea that Dr. Wily was working with Dr. Light to gather crystals for the giant peace keeping weapon of mass destruction, Gamma. There are also the various character bios, like info on what on Earth Eddie the flip-top container robot is, or what's with all those letters.

So the question is this. Do each of the games have the original manuel scanned in that you can look at in detail like the Sonic Mega Collection? Did they keep all the important details and just make a somewhat large game booklet? Did they, heaven forfend, just give us a short sentence describing each game? Or... did they just imagine that we could figure it out on our own and do little more than give instructions on how to PLAY these games? I ask because even though I do own MM1,2, and 4 (and had 3 for a while before trading it as a kid), I don't have ANY of their instruction manuels. In fact, I barely managed to hang on to ANY of my original NES game booklets, being that I was a kid with many younger siblings and all. Also, the Zelda Collection just had a paragraph for each game and that paragraph lacked a lot, a LOT, of detailed info that the booklets had. For OOT and MM that didn't matter, but there are a lot of people who just don't have access to the juicy bits of info the Zelda 1 and 2 booklets offered.