Tendo City
Classic NES Series Survey - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Classic NES Series Survey (/showthread.php?tid=1988)

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 15th June 2004

Don't know if anyone else here has noticed this...

http://www.nintendo.com/classic.jsp

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 16th June 2004

I filled out the survey.

Classic NES Series Survey - OB1 - 16th June 2004

Too bad they didn't ask our opinions on the series.

They should be a lot cheaper. Like $10.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 16th June 2004

No, the price is fine. There just should be more than one game in each package.

You just contradicted yourself. The price for a single NES GBA game is fine... yet there should be more games per cart. Saying that the prices for each Classic Series cart are too high (which they are) or that there should be more games per cart is basically the same thing.

You just like to disagree for the sake of disagreeing.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 16th June 2004

No, you somehow misunderstood my point. $20 is a fine price for old game collections. But said collections should have more than one game in them!

Classic NES Series Survey - Weltall - 16th June 2004

Seriously. They could have fit the entire collection on one cartridge.

If it weren't such a shrewd and blatant profit move I'd call it laziness. Instead, I'll call it contempt for their fanbase, which they show on a nearly constant basis.

A Black Falcon Wrote:No, you somehow misunderstood my point. $20 is a fine price for old game collections. But said collections should have more than one game in them!

But they're not collections, and that's why GR said that $20 is too much for a single NES title.

Let's see I can pay $20 for an old NES game that I probably already have or at least have played many times before or I can buy an anime DVD. Decisions, decisions...

Classic NES Series Survey - Dark Jaguar - 18th June 2004

You can buy most of these old NES games for 1~5$ at a local used game store, and most are easy to find at that. Xevious is about the only rarity amongst the set. All things considering, that's 15~19$ for portability alone, and a distorted image (let's not forget that, perhaps this collection would have been better on a later GB that had a higher res screen). Sorry, while a game being portable is nice, it's not worth that amount for games that are utterly cheap anyway.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 18th June 2004

None of the game stores around here sell anything older than N64/PSX era...

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 18th June 2004

A trip to just about any pawn-shop or used videogame store will get you NES at very low prices.

Where do you find such stores? EB and Gamestop don't carry anything older than N64/PSX anymore... none of the videogame stores I visit have anything older than that, certainly.

Um, those are just major chains. You need to find either a straight pawn shop or a speciality store that sells mainly used games. Around here, there are 3 stores in a small chain called Vintage Stock. They have old comics and other stuff, but mainly it's about the games.

Essentially, go to any store that will buy used games. That's why they HAVE used games to sell to you. EB won't work, find a locally run thing ABF. Maybe you live in too small a town to have such a speciality store or two around though, in which case, I'm sorry... As for me, being able to buy things like Castlevania for $5 is very nice. Keep in mind that there are some rarities. While you can always find a massive stack of Zelda games, half of which are the gold originals (that game sold in the millions, they are everywhere!), finding other classics like Bubble Bobble or Earthbound is going to be nearly impossible.

Nothing like that in this town, and if there is anything like that in the Portland area I don't know about it... the only place in town that has any older games (that I go to, I've never been to a pawn shop) is one (local games store) that has a few not too good Genesis games. Gamestop used to carry SNES games, but late last year they stopped doing that...

But both EB and Gamestop have great large selections of N64 games, and EB also has a lot of used PC games, so it's not exactly all bad. :)

Yes, that's good too. Only recently have the used game stores around here started selling any used PC games. Right now it's just in a big bargain bin pile. Very not nice. People just don't seem to want to sell their old PC games for some reason. Makes PC games very often harder to collect than even obscure console games, as anyone trying to collect the Commander Keen series can tell you (ME!).

You should try a pawn shop. There's some decent stuff there. Critical though is that you ask to have whatever you buy tested. Some pawn shops give you one week and you can return something if it doesn't work (in fact that's a policy a lot of used game stores have too), but not all, so just be ware, that's all. So long as you go in with your eyes open, you have nothing to worry about, and that's really the way it should be. You can also find some cheap TVs and maybe some used computer parts if you are looking for anything like that. Don't worry if you start thinking about "the poor soul who had to sell their prized thing they want back just to make rent this month" either, because if someone asks a pawn shop to when they sell something, they will generally put it in the back room for a month before putting it out on display. That should ease your concious if you ever think about anything like that.

Commander Keen... you DO know that Apogee sells a CD with games 1-5 on it, right? You only can't get 6 (Babysitter). And I don't mean floppy games. I mean a lot of used CD games. Yeah, it seems relatively new (Gamestop and EB used to have a lot of new, but cheap, PC games... those are gone, mostly, but now EB has all these used games...), but it's nice.

Oh, and that's one good thing about Gamestop and EB -- 90 day returns if N64 carts don't work (if it's actually broken and not just dirty...), for instance.

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2004

Quote:I've never been to a pawn shop

WOW. You're really missing out if you don't hit the pawn shops ever-so-often.

Quote:Where do you find such stores?

A mall. My local mall has a great store called "Special FX", which has a huge collection of NES games [and games for just about every other system]. They've got at least 300 NES games, maybe more.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 19th June 2004

I don't know of anything like that anywhere near here. :(

Classic NES Series Survey - Dark Jaguar - 19th June 2004

None of the malls around here have anything like that GR, but I just go to small shopping centers to find such places so it works out.

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 19th June 2004

Quote:I don't know of anything like that anywhere near here.

Just about every town around here has pawnshops. Although, there's really on one videogame store, not counting places like Wal-Mart or Target.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 20th June 2004

Pawnshops sure, but pawnshops with huge selections of old videogames? That's a whole different story...

In town there are ... hmm, 9 places that sell videogames... only one dedicated to just videogames, though. Local place. They have a few N64 and (not too good) Genesis games. Pawnshops? Don't know, I think there are one or two...

Classic NES Series Survey - Dark Jaguar - 20th June 2004

Well there's another issue entirely there. Any pawn shop in a small town is likely not to do too well simply because their stock is inherantly limited by the local population. Even if someone opened a specialty store for used games, I gotta wonder exactly how many games you'd find on a weekly visit.

"small town" to me means a few hundred, maybe a couple of thousand... 20,000 is a large town. :) ... we've talked about this before, I know, but I'd never call this town small. Sure, it's not a city, but for a town, and certainly a town in this state, it's large... I would be pretty surprised if it isn't in the top 10 towns in Maine in population, really.

Anyway, you're right about the fact that it's limited by population... the local gamestore does take in anything you want to sell them (as evidenced by those Genesis games), but they don't get much. But as I said before, though I don't know what stores Portland (the city (65000). 1/2 hour away.) has, I haven't heard of any great old games store there either...

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 20th June 2004

To me a small town means about 5,000-10,000 and a large town is about 50,000. But I live within 30 miles of 3 towns with a size between 10-35 thousand and only 2 hours away from The Metroplex [Dallas/Ft. Worth/suburbs].

The town where the game store is has about 35,000 people and that town is right next to another town that has about 22,000 people, so the selection is pretty wide.

I suppose 20,000 is an average town size after all, but you made me realize there's also the major point that out of that population, how many are gamers with a lot of games they want to sell? In a town with nearly a million people, the number of people with games they want to sell is of course going to be a lot higher than a town with 20,000. Which translates to... you not finding anything except obscure Genesis games.

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 20th June 2004

Poor ABF.

Only one city in Maine has a population over 50,000. Thus for this state that's a major city. :)

And to be precise, this town is more like 22,000. And it's bigger than anything within about a half hour in any direction. And we have a college and a navy base (air station). :)

I'd probably say an average town is, oh, 10,000? 5-10,000 for an average smaller town. But 10,000, I'd say, seems to be about average to me... (though for the whole state, the average is quite probably lower than that -- hey, it's a big state with a rural, low, population...) several towns around here are that size.

But yes, the more people the more games people will be saying. And when people do go to sell games, probably the most likely place is a EB or Gamestop... and they stopped carrying stuff older than N64/PSX.

The only one of those Genesis games I would think about is Desert Strike. They had Sword of Vermillion at one point, but it sold... other than that it's like Monopoly, one NHL game, and other junk.

Move to a large town and just let that state rot in obscurity like it's destined to then.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 21st June 2004

No thanks, I like this state... :)

Anyway, I really don't have the money for any more systems... I could, but it wouldn't be the best idea. And there's always the internet... large selection there... :)

Classic NES Series Survey - geoboy - 22nd June 2004

Great Rumbler Wrote:To me a small town means about 5,000-10,000

So what would you consider my town of 3,000 to be? :D The closest thing we have to a pawn shop is the Good Will in the "city" that's 20 minutes away from here.

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 22nd June 2004

Quote:So what would you consider my town of 3,000 to be?

A larger town than I live in. :)

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 22nd June 2004

10,000 isn't small. :) It's not big, but it's not small...

Classic NES Series Survey - big guy - 22nd June 2004

there's over 100,000 people in my town so BOOYA!

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 22nd June 2004

Quote:10,000 isn't small. It's not big, but it's not small...

When you live half-way between two big metropolisis [three hours from OKC, two from Dallas] and between three towns with more than 10,000 [twenty miles North and South of towns with 22,000 and 12,000, respectively, and thirty miles North of a town of 36,000] 10,000 just isn't that big.

Quote:there's over 100,000 people in my town so BOOYA!

Oh yeah? Well, my town has about 150 people! Beat that!!

Classic NES Series Survey - UltraMarioMan - 23rd June 2004

Heh I was listening to the same song as Weltall's sig says (Pretty Fly for a Rabbi) as I read this. :)

Classic NES Series Survey - Weltall - 23rd June 2004

Haha, we have two GameStops almost literally right across from one another (one in a shopping center, and another in the mall right across from it.)

Within a radius of about five miles there is at least 15 or so places to buy games here. *hugs nasty metropolitan area of 1.2 million people*

Classic NES Series Survey - Dark Jaguar - 23rd June 2004

Yeah, nice to have something like that... Wait.... a Gamestop across from a Gamestop? How close exactly? Too close and it's something that makes time stand still...

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2004

Probably once one was a FunCoLand and the other a Software ETC or Babbages... :)

Classic NES Series Survey - Weltall - 23rd June 2004

One was a Funco, and the other was a SETC, now they're both Gamestops.

The SETC in the mall was there long before the funco opened though.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 23rd June 2004

Three chains, that are now one chain, and I'd expect plenty of overlap in some areas... not here, though. No Babbages I know of in Maine, and no FunCoLands either... the nearest one was in New Hampshire... I heard it had a lot of old games. Don't know if it still does, now being a GameStop like the rest...

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 5th July 2004

There aren't any major videogame-only stores close to where I live, in fact there's only one local videogame only store of any kind.

Classic NES Series Survey - A Black Falcon - 12th July 2004

That's because your town is really small. :)

Classic NES Series Survey - Great Rumbler - 12th July 2004

The videogame store in my area is better than all the ones in your area put together.