Tendo City
I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... (/showthread.php?tid=1973)

Pages: 1 2

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2004

I thought it'd probably end up like this all along, so it wouldn't have much point. :)

(though I'm sure you'll find some loophole to grab...)

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/521/521482p1.html

Somewhat unrelated, but this news tidbit is weird...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/517/517617p1.html

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Great Rumbler - 6th June 2004

POST THE ARTICLE NEXT TIME!!!

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2004

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Private Hudson - 6th June 2004

I really doubt that it'd only last that long. I'll assume that it's a conservative figure.

If it's true, however, I hope that it's an internal battery, or at least can plug into the wall.

I never really take my handhelds out of the house anyways..

Kinda odd..

Oh wells, let's hope the games are good/original.

I don't really play my handhelds out of the house much either, but OB1 seems to, which is probably why I linked the article. :)

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Smoke - 6th June 2004

This is abso-fucking-lutly horrible. The battery life was the one reservation I had about the PSP (besides price but I knew that would eventually come down) and Sony has gone and shown us why a handheld with console like graphics and optical media shouldn't be done yet. Battery technology just isn't there yet. It's going to be the fucking GameGear all over again.

Oh, this makes perfect sense now: Kutaragi said of the PSP, "The place I'm imagining for use of the system is the home. People don't play games while walking around." Not unless they have 10+ miles of extension cord.

Sony: We make a portable game system that's only meant to be used in the home. We are teh genius!

Gamers: What's the fucking point?!

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Private Hudson - 6th June 2004

That's a bit harsh Smokey.

Not trying to defend such a meagre, and yes horrible battery life, but where do you play most of your handheld games? Where does anyone play most of their handheld games? On their beds, away from the rest of the family while they use the main television.

When was the last time you spent more than 3 hours away from the house playing games?

I just wish it was an internal, and rechargable battery system.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Smoke - 6th June 2004

Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to be buying one of these little bad boys. I have to. There is no choice involved. I must have one. I'm just pissed at Sony for being so short sighted. Maybe I don't play games outside the house much but then I don't get out much as it is. I just don't want to be tethered to some wall because I'd like to play the sweet new rpg, let's call it "Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Warrior" for more then 2.5 - 3 hours at a time.

You see the whole purpose of portable gaming, the very thing that justifies it's existence is it's self-contained nature. You have the system, the display and the controls all in one nice little package. Now Sony's telling me I'm going to have to plug the thing into the wall if I want to use it for an extended period of time and I can only ask why make the system at all then? What is the justification for it's existence? We already have Playstation 2 which is technically better, has better controls and whatever display you choose. So if I'm not supposed to take the PSP with me everywhere then what's the point?

And BTW, if I did get out more I would take it with me. With both of these new systems having WiFi they seem perfect for coffee houses.

That is why the GB beat most of its competition. It's more technically powerful competion, anyway. Battery life. Sure, games too, but battery life was one of the most important factors...

Now, we don't know the final DS battery life. They say 'like the SP', but with more powerful graphics and two screens I don't see how they will pull that off... but with a card-based media format it'll certainly be way above the PSP battery life.

Of course, the PSP will still do very well. The PlayStation name is extremely popular and that will sell many consoles. And the DS definitely is a different product that not everyone will understand. But moves like this, and the high price, show that Sony won't be taking over the handheld market anytime soon. They'll get a foothold, but I think Nintendo will hold the majority for some time. And then the next Game Boy comes out.

The PSP will sell on the Playstation brand name alone. It won't "fail", that's for sure. I don't see it toppling Nintendo's handheld empire anytime soon either though.

All I really want out of the next Gameboy is something similar in design to the GBA SP with a bit bigger screen, somewhat better graphics and more buttons. Really, the current iteration of the Gameboy satisfies me quite well.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Dark Jaguar - 7th June 2004

PH, I'm not sure what sort of logic you are using, but these days just about everyone has their own TV (though most people have no frills at all with those), so it's not "something to play when "the" TV is being used" as you put it. Crazy australians... Anyway, I DO happen to play my portable on the go. If, as you say, you only use your portables at home, then you have to wonder why you even bothered getting the portable instead of just a Gameboy Player. No, a portable is MEANT to be taken outside.

This guy's comments, that people don't go playing games on the go, is pure stupidity. Honestly, this mindset combined with the ultrashort battery life makes me wonder why they would even BOTHER making it portable to begin with. Well, now my interest in the device has taken a bit of a dive. It sure LOOKS nice and all, but it's essentially a PS2 that will die before I'm even "into" a game session. I'll probably get it anyway if there's a good selection of quality exlusives on it though... Processing power likley isn't the main drain. I think it's all the motor. Remember, it's not just battery technology. After all, the GBs got MORE powerful and used LESS batteries to get the SAME amount of life as the very first GB (up until the GBASP which finally went with li-ion). It's in designing those systems to actually use less power. I can see potentially a future system using very little power and yet being PS2 level, but using optical media is a bad idea, as it is right now... Motors are a huge drain on battery life...

Well Sony, I sure hope you can up the battery life rather than saying "eh no one plays PORTABLE SYSTEMS on the go anyway... right?".

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Great Rumbler - 7th June 2004

One of the great things about the Gameboys is that you could take them, along with a handful of games, on a long road trip and never have to worry about the batteries running out on you. You won't be doing that with the PSP.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2004

DJ, I think that the first GB actually does have a better battery life than the later ones... maybe not if you compare it to two battery-lives of the later systems (so it's 4 batteries vs 4), but I do think it has a longer one than a single battery life of the later systems. Due to using 4 batteries vs 2.

Yes, I have found GBs very, very useful during trips. I play it at home mostly, but when we do go on trips it's a great thing to have along... and with a long battery life and the fact it uses normal batteries it's really easy to recharge. Just take a couple extra AAs with you. :) With the SP I guess I'd either have to get a car adapter or something, because you can't just switch batteries in it... though you are right generally it won't run out on a trip, it is possible. Especially if you're somewhere without a power outlet handy...

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Dark Jaguar - 7th June 2004

I finally found a screwdriver small enough to unscrew that part of my SP. (Another flaw, if I'm going to change batteries, I don't want to have to carry around some stabby little tool in my pocket to do so, they REALLY need to go with a simple clip like all the previous Gameboys. If some little kid looses their battery because the system didn't keep them from removing it, boohoo.) Anyway, now I can get to that little rectangle of a battery whenever I need, and it's obvious from the text all over in there that it's meant to be removable and replacable. So then, Nintendo, when you gonna start selling additional batteries? They do that, then I can always have a fresh battery charging when one dies (in a constant cycle). And yes, that WOULD make all the difference to me. I take my SP pretty much everywhere.

Anyway, ya sure about that ABF? The GB's batteries last a while, but so do the others. Honestly I found myself changing the GB's batteries about as often as I did the other normal alkeline battery models.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - OB1 - 7th June 2004

Uh, that article has no new information. If a game is constantly streaming off the disc then the battery will be short. We've been over this already. Let's wait and see what most games get out of the system.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2004

I don't really know how long any of them last, actually... never clocked it... :) But I thought I've read that the original had a longer battery life.

Oh, you can buy extra GBA-SP batteries. Third party anyway...

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - OB1 - 7th June 2004

You can buy new SP batteries directly from Nintendo as well.

I meant in stores... don't know if I've seen official Nintendo ones there, just third party...

No comment, OB1? :)

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - alien space marine - 7th June 2004

Here is a question , Will the type of game effect battery Life? Will a crappy Pong and pac man game last longer then lets say metal geat acid?

Maybe sony will be making refinements to the system before release.

Yes, ASM, one IGN article did say that they expected that games that push the hardware more will drain the batteries faster... the more you push the system and the more you have to load from the disk (like if games stream info off the disk), the shorter the battery life will be, most likely.

A Black Falcon Wrote:I meant in stores... don't know if I've seen official Nintendo ones there, just third party...

No comment, OB1? :)

Erm

Did you not read my post?

3rd party's not something I wanna risk... Eh, anyway, I just checked Nintendo's store again and they seem to be selling batteries now, so no problem except the only way to recharge them is INSIDE the SP... They should make an external charger so I can plug it right in there when I'm using the other one on the go. That's the only way an extra would really even be useful actually. Anyway, they still aren't selling a replacement screen for the SP yet... They are for ALL the other GBs, but not the SP. Sure, it's very protected from scratches, but they do happen now and again. Mine isn't yet, but I know eventually something terrible will happen involving a dagger and the screen will be scuffed up. Having a cheap replacement was great after finding out about them with the first GBA, and I know it'll be here too if they just make one.

Anyway, the SP is still an "almost perfect" device, but here are the flaws I've noticed for when they make the "real" GB successor.

Headphone jack needs to be put back on. There are just too many little things that keep me from using it. I picked up one of those adapters some time ago, but that's only good for when I bring that thing with me. Sometimes I bring the SP alone to a friend's house and want to hear the sound while using THEIR headset, and alas, I cannot. Also, I can't use the headset during recharge unless I buy a special 3rd party adapter (considering it's just wires, I highly doubt those are faulty in any way, but I don't want to get yet another adapter) that lets me do that. It's basically an annoyance. Not much of a problem, but it's there. Basically, I like a lot of the music and sounds in a lot of GBA games, so I like hearing them with a headset which in many cases is a MASSIVE improvement over the speaker due to just how much you miss without it.

Also, this isn't really the SP, but it must be said. The GCN-GBA link cable MUST be changed. That whole big clip that covers the whole top section as opposed to JUST covering the link cable slot? It prevents me from using the charger while using it. You may think it's not much, but it's nice to not have to drain battery life for when I might step out when I'm INSIDE next to an outlet playing Crystal Chronicles or something. I can of course just make that change myself by removing that plastic bit though...

The L and R buttons... They actually aren't that bad at all. I've never really had much of a problem using them, but they aren't perfect. Ideally, I'd like to see Nintendo move those buttons to the BACK of the controller. I'm not sure how many of you ever had a Virtual Boy, but that's the button placement I'm thinking of here. The VB, while overall not a very good system, had a very comfortable controller. Part of this was due to them opting NOT to put the shoulder buttons on the top like every other controller, but rather on the BACK of it. they were two large round buttons you could easily press with your fingers resting in a very NATURAL position. The N64 controller ditched this for the L and R buttons, but used a similar design for the added Z button, and I think we all remember how comfortable that was. Anyway, if they can find space internally for the contacts, it'd be nice to see the L and R buttons resting right underneath where my index fingers are going to be.

Lastly, the next GB, ideally, would be more than powerful enough to finally support SGB modes in the old GB games that had such modes. This is all about total compatiblity here.

Actually, come to think of it, here's my ideal plan for the next portable anyway. Let's say people don't mind buying super expensive portables after all and both the PSP and DS take off. Well, I can imagine that eventually, a situation will finally occur where instead of selling both a home system and a portable of nearly equal power (example, PSP and PS2) they MIGHT just go ahead and release the next generation of both as the SAME system, that is to say, a super powerful portable that has a TV output jack. I could see this happening two system generations from now, where the next Nintendo system was already a portable and would be like that from then on. Due to the flip top design, they could easily protect the delicate parts of modern controllers from the abuse they would otherwise get in one's pocket (analog sticks and such). As for multiplayer, they could just end up selling, as accessories, plain controllers so friends without the system could just play using the TV. Just about all the connecting would be wireless of course. Anyway, that would pretty much be the best of both worlds, in an ideal future where the latest is already very small.

I only suggest this based on how the latest laptops are actually very near the power of the latest PCs these days, and it seems the laptop will actually be the death of the PC, for those who are power users with money to spend. However, before laptops can do this, they need to come up with some standards so that the laptop's various parts can be switched out just as fully as a PC's parts. I do imagine docking stations will still sell quite a bit, since when at home the laptop owner will want the "full desktop" feel. One other thing, ditch those annoying touch pads! I cramp up HORRIBLY using those things because I have to tense up every single finger to keep it from accidently brushing against the pad. Replace with those nice felt analog stick things that some laptops have.

What do you do to your handhelds? Do you let your little nephews play them or something?

An external recharger would be great, btw.

Missed it probably writing the one below it... :)

No new info? But he said that games will probably be 2 1/2 - 3 hours, and music 8-10 hours! It hadn't been so clearly defined before... no new information... Sure, he said it could vary. But those are the current Sony estimates.

Screens scratch, OB1... it gets in your pocket and scratches on something, or you accidentally scratch it while playing, or in the place you keep it it gets scratched... the GBA-SP's design should prevent a lot of that scratching, though, so not having replacements isn't as bad as previous ones... I really should replace my GBC screen. It's in amazingly bad shape... lots of scratches all over in the center... The GBA only has a few stratches, but I know it'll get worse over time.

No, he stated very clearly that games that spin the disc a lot would take up a lot of juice. So I doubt very many developers will make streaming games ala Jak and Daxter. They'll have to be more creative.

Quote: Game Informer: One thing I was a little confused about in the presentation was the battery life. At first you said ten hours and then you seemed to say it could be as short as two and I just wanted to clarify...

Kaz: Battery life is one of these things where if you state a number then everybody's satisfied. The only problem, of course, is it never matches what you state. But if you don't state a number then it's like, "What's the battery life?" So it's a continuous Catch-22. And that's especially prevalent with the PlayStation Portable because it plays various entertainment content. Again, if you're just listening to music with no visuals at all then it should last, as I said yesterday, about eight to ten hours just like an iPod would. If you are playing a game that is consistently cycling through and putting the CPU to good use, yeah, battery life is going to be shorter. Maybe about two and a half, three hours. That's why putting the range in there... because it's more difficult because it's got a wide range of applications to really pinpoint to say, "It's eight hours." Because it could be longer, or it could be shorter, and by dramatic margins up or down.

Games use the hardware more than music. Sure, reduce loading, add a half hour or something... but you can only do that to a point. Games won't be getting 8-10 hours like music will under the best conditions. I'd say that he says that pretty clearly. But it should not exactly be a surprise, given how battery technology has been pretty much the same for a long time...

8-10 hours, no, but not 2-3 hours either unless they stream off the disc. Old news.

I knew you'd find a loophole...

But even so. Uh, before weren't you saying that it's quite possible it would be 8-10 hours? I seem to recall you saying that just a few weeks ago, so you have to admit that this IS news. A clarification, at the least.

"Loophole"? This is the same information we've had for weeks!

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Sacred Jellybean - 7th June 2004

OB1: But why would a Sony representative downplay the battery life of their own handheld? With just about all the battery-powered electronics I've bought, the actual battery life has been LOWER than what the company promised. Companies will usually put whatever spin they can on their product to make it sound better than it is to help it sell.

Sony should already realize this shortcoming, and furthermore realize that streaming games are unfeasible on the PSP and not highlight of battery life of such games. And, as Smoke pointed out, Kutaragi stated "The place I'm imagining for use of the system is the home. People don't play games while walking around." Why would a Sony rep even use that kind of rhetoric, unless they were trying take focus away from a poor battery life?

Who knows, but they did make it clear that the battery life would be low only if the disc was spinning around a lot. This was talked about a few weeks ago, that developers would have to quit the constantly streaming thing and use the RAM more wisely.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - alien space marine - 7th June 2004

Maybe sony can attache solar panels and a wind mill to boast power.LOL!

They could also make it use a larger type of battery, Like a 9 Volt.

They could also add a extension so you can plug it into your car power plug filter.

OB1, we all know that asking developers to always optimize games for a system is hopeless. Often they just don't have the time... and other times they just don't seem to care. But either way, it's a hopeless task. Almost as hopeless as asking for the PSP library to be mostly new games and not mostly PS1/2 ports. :D

Maybe they can do some things to improve battery life a little, but we all know that more often than not that won't get done.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Great Rumbler - 7th June 2004

Since Sony is never conservative about any specs, I think we can expect the actual battery life to be lower than what they're saying.

Good point, they are generally quite the opposite...

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Private Hudson - 7th June 2004

I don't know how many arguements I've been in here about Sony and their specs, but as I've stated in many many long-winded arguements, I think they're always accurate. As long as you don't mis-interpret what they've stated.

Now, onto the battery life issue, Sony stated the game could last about 8 hours if it wasn't constantly spinning the disc around (this would be their high estimate), and about 2.5 - 3 hours if the disc was constantly spinning around. I think you should play percentages here and assume that the average life-span will be between those two points.

As to comments regarding taking the unit on long road trips (and other occasions of the like) then I certainly agree, you had better bring a lot of batteries (or a Gameboy ;)) because you obviously won't be able to do that, which is why I stated that the battery life is horrible. Will it stop me from buying it? No, not as long as it has decent games, and a way of recharging while you play it (being plugged into the wall). Those special occasions where you would want to take something on the road will generally be few and far between, will it not? Any other occasions (such as catching a train to work/school/Charles Bronsons grave) 2.5 hours (+) should be enough, just an inconvenience in the fact that as soon as you reach a powerpoint, you better start recharging.

I don't know, perhaps I sound as though I'm defending it, which I certainly don't intend to do. But if it has great games, would this battery life stop you from buying it? Particularly if they do have a convenient way of keeping the batteries topped up?

Annoying, inconvenient, arrogant, sure. But I won't let it get in the way of (potentially) great gaming.

It got in the way with the Game Gear, which had 6 hours of battery life. I couldn't take that on a round trip, and as a kid, I happened to go on a LOT of those. Every two or three weeks, 4 hour road trip to a place with no TV only to go on more long road trips all around that place, which lasted one weekend before another 4 hour road trip back home. Suffice it to say boredom transcends itself and becomes ART at that point.

The problem, as I've said, is that with current battery technology there is just no good answer to this question. You either have to accept low battery lives or cut back on your tech level.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Private Hudson - 7th June 2004

I'd be happy with an internal-rechargable battery that easily plugged into the wall (withuot having to pay for an adapter) to recharge while you played.

Think we'll get it?

.. :(

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Sacred Jellybean - 7th June 2004

I wouldn't doubt it. Sony isn't stupid, so if PSP's battery life does turn out to be craptacular, I'm sure they'll compensate for it in any practical way.

Car adaptors. Essential, as anyone with the TurboExpress, Game Gear, Nomad, etc. would know...

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - OB1 - 8th June 2004

The Game Gear didn't even last for two hours, and that was with six expensive AA batteries, not a free rechargeable one.

And ABF, again your points have no basis. Developers won't be using the same streaming techniques as they did with the PSP unless they don't want people to buy their games, so they're going to have to use the RAM in smart way.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 8th June 2004

Price of batteries, fine, the GG loses there, but it's easier to replace batteries than charge something up... :)

No basis? Uh, are you saying that developers always do their best to optimaze games for the platform they are on? Are you joking, or just crazy?

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - OB1 - 9th June 2004

Either you know absolutely nothing about game development or you're the most naive, biased person in the galaxy (yes, galaxy). Developers always have to work around a system's limitations, and failure to do so results in poor games. Developers on the N64 had to work around the system's low amount of RAM, developers for the PS2 had to work around that system's aliasing problems, developers for the Saturn had to work around that system's extremely complex hardware configuration, etc., etc. If Joe Average Gamer had to choose between Game A for the PSP which gets 5-6 hours of battery life or Game B which gets 2 hours of battery life because of the constant streaming, which one do you think they'll pick? Developers know what that answer is. Necessity is the mother of invention, remember that.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 9th June 2004

That might be true, but first I'd have to be convinced that the amount of load times could actually change the battery life that much (I doubt it; it'd make some difference but that much? Unlikely... even if you have fewer loadtimes you still have to load. And games use the hardware a lot.... I would be pretty surprised if less loadtimes could double the battery life.) and that Joe Public would actually have any clue which games last longer and which don't. I somehow doubt that ones which drain batteries more will say so on the box... :D

And remember, the system will have a very high percentage of PSX and PS2 ports. As that Gamespy (I thin; or was it IGN?) article said, the profit margins on handheld games are lower, with the cheaper games and all, so companies don't want to spend as much to make the titles... and this is as powerful as a PS2 and so porting is really the only way to go for most developers. That or cheap, shoddy games.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - Weltall - 9th June 2004

When you're not in the house, where do you play a portable gaming system most? Where do you play it longest?

In the car.

Cars have power outlets.

I am willing to bet a DC adaptor for the PSP would run about $15.

Problem solved.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - OB1 - 9th June 2004

The fact of the matter is that we don't have most of the facts, ABF. For some reason you can't seem to grasp this concept.

I'd gloat like OB1 did, but it wouldn't be nice... oh wait... - A Black Falcon - 9th June 2004

We have enough of them to know more than you seem to be admitting to.

Ok let's see what we know...

-the battery life of movies.... check
-the battery life of music.... check
-the battery life of games.... no
-how developers are using the RAM in more or less efficient ways... no

So for games, we know next to nothing. That seems to be enough for you since you don't like using things such as "facts" and "proof" to back up your arguments, but I'm not like that.

Riiight, we know nothing about the battery life of games. Nope. Rolleyes

Oh, and the movie and music lifetimes aren't completely irrelevant as far as games go! They provide reference for how the battery lasts and that should give more clues about how long it'll work for games...