Tendo City
Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? (/showthread.php?tid=1968)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2004

Well?

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Weltall - 3rd June 2004

Nintendojo dies more often Kenny.

Or is it Nintendorks that dies every three weeks?

I can never tell them apart.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2004

Nintendorks went through a period where they died a lot, but they're better now... Nintendojo has had issues, but their site seems to be completely gone now... look at what's at their domain!

http://www.nintendorks.com

Sad because that's the site I got here from.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Weltall - 4th June 2004

Um... looks completely normal to me. Am I missing something?

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 4th June 2004

I think he meant to write nintendojo.com.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Laser Link - 4th June 2004

They were up for April 1, running a stupid joke. It wasn't quite "FF34 on Gamecube!!11!", but it was something stupid. Maybe it was a realistic Zelda joke. Hehehe.

But I can't imagine they were going away, because they had some big announcement about becoming the first "official Nintendo fansite" or something, where they got exclusive content from Nintendo and Nintendo paid the bills.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Weltall - 4th June 2004

Build your own website! wow!

LL get on MSN/AIM

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 4th June 2004

The exclusive Nintendo thing was a joke, I think.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 5th June 2004

Yeah, now it's just one of those 'buy this webspace' ad pages...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2004

Oh mama!! I never miss a chance to buy empty webspace!!

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Smoke - 6th June 2004

Tendo City to become Nintendojo.com! ;)

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - The Former DMiller - 6th June 2004

It's kind of sad that it is tough for Nintendo fansites to survive anymore. N-Philes is currently going on hiatus for a while, although we are leaving the site and forums up. We just didn't see much of a future with it, and most of us wanted to do other things with our free time.

As for Nintendojo, I know they went down right before E3, and they haven't been back since. Not really sure what happened, but it is sad since I found Tendo City via them as well.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Great Rumbler - 6th June 2004

TC will probably be around longer than any other Nintendo fansite...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 6th June 2004

Indeed.

That should be our tagline when we take "Tendocity Forums Inc." public.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 6th June 2004

Yes.

BTW I hope Weltall and everyone is happy now that I got rid of that so-called "annoying" meatwad avatar.

I didn't think there was anything annoying about it.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - lazyfatbum - 6th June 2004

Poor old dojo... they were the shit years ago.

The time's have certainly changed. Remember Rare.net? and of course Dojo, then there was the countless fan sites - some of which merged in to IGN and were devoured.. I miss going to Rareware.com too and reading the lovely scribes and mail... especially the Snippets (with a picture of a Snippet from B~K) from all the people that couldn't type... which is now their core audience...

I remember past e3's and Spaceworld's where I would have rare.net, dojo, ign64, dorks and a bunch of others I cant remember, on my desktop (hitting refresh every ten seconds) while chatting in IRC and posting on Tendo City because the news was simply that good... plus it was the only time I could annoy blocks of TC members live and sometimes with audio.

sigh

Now a days I hit PGC and cube europe for news... and that's it.

We need more fan sites.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Weltall - 6th June 2004

Hey, I wonder what happesn if the domain goes public, and I buy it...

Then you'd own two websites.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2004

You need tendocity.net first... :)

Yeah, fansites do seem to go up and down all the time... only a few last through the years. I know that when I look at the list of Blizzard fansites I visited in late '97 waiting for Starcraft, almost none of them still work... only a couple, really. It's sad. All I have left of them is the bookmarks in the browser (well in the browser on our older computers, at least... doubt most of them are in this one, but I do think I copied this bookmark file from our previous comp so some old links are still there... and I don't delete dead links. I put them in the dead links folder. :D)

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Smoke - 7th June 2004

GameCube Advanced seems to be another good site.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - The Former DMiller - 7th June 2004

They post way too many rumors, though. I can get my fair share of rumors on message boards so I'd rather not have to read them presented as news.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Dark Jaguar - 7th June 2004

Hey lazy, they still do scribes over at rareware.com! Still the same morons too!

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2004

One problem is that fansites generally don't link eachother so it can be hard to find them... and yeah they die often. It's sad to think of all the sites that have closed...

Rumors? How about Cube-Europe... okay maybe not rumors for them, but just wrong info. Or both, I don't know... but they definitely have issues.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Great Rumbler - 7th June 2004

Cube-Europe jumps on rumors too quickly and, although they post the rumors as such, it's very confusing and the rumors they post generally turn out to be wrong.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 7th June 2004

I've noticed they also get things wrong in their Q&A way too often...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - William Jacques - 16th July 2004

GCA posted a "Mario 128" screen that was just an image apture from Sunshine...

Nintendojo isn't dead, but we have far too many technical issues that are out of our hands, for the most part. I've gotten to the point where I don't promise anything...we'll be up when we're up.

Currently, we haven't updated in days because our content management system is inaccessible. Still waiting on our host to fix their shit...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Great Rumbler - 16th July 2004

Hey, it's somebody new!

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 16th July 2004

Looks like Nintendojo staff, GR... :)

I did notice Nintendojo up once a few weeks after that, actually... *checks* It's up now. But it sounds like you're having lots of downtimes... hmm, sounds a bit like TC on our previous server... :D

As for Nintendojo, they haven't really been the same since their staff had a complete turnover a few years back. It's still an okay site, but in '99 or so it was great. ... back when this forum was linked there. Cooincidence? I think not! :D

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - William Jacques - 16th July 2004

We post lots of news, actually, and have alot more features and organization than that period during 1999. It really is a much better site, in retrospect.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - EdenMaster - 17th July 2004

Well whaddya know? Our chinsy little Nintendo site was noticed by Nintendojo :D.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 17th July 2004

Quote:We post lots of news, actually, and have alot more features and organization than that period during 1999. It really is a much better site, in retrospect.

Given that you are staff now and probably weren't then (didn't it have a complete turnover when the Tendo Box thing happened?), I'm sure you think so... :)

It's an okay site, sure. Just doesn't seem to update as much as some other fansites. But it does still exist, unlike a lot of others...

Hey! Wow, now THAT's a familiar sight... right now their forum has Database Error! :)

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - William Jacques - 18th July 2004

Our news is separated (in the right column) away from the rest of our content. Combine the two and we have MORE content than other fansites per day (usually).

The day before our CMS stopped working -- 7/12 -- we posted 3 articles (Spider-Man 2 Review, Spider-Man 2 Contest, and Mailbag) and 8 news items. Thats 11 updates in 1 day...more than any other Nintendo fansite.

A couple days before that, I posted 15+ news items all by myself. When we're working, we're active. Otherwise, yes, we're obviously not updating.

Quote:Well whaddya know? Our chinsy little Nintendo site was noticed by Nintendojo [Image: biggrin.gif].

Hell yeah, Tendo City is old school!

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 18th July 2004

Hey welcome to the forum, William! Which dojo editor are you? I'm not familiar with a William Jacques...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - William Jacques - 18th July 2004

Thanks, OB1.

Yeah, because I'm a Managing Editor and do alot of behind the scenes work. I manage Game Boy (and some GameCube) content, manage (and post most of) the news, and work in public relations, all amongst many other things. I'm also the designated Mailbag Marshall. I write previews, reviews, and editorials when I can though.

All in all, I'm just amazed to find that these forums are still alive, for when I used the Wayback Machine to uncover some of Nintendojo's lost content I discovered that these were in fact the designated Nintendojo forums. And yes, I know much about the history of Nintendojo and all other fansites. Some good peoples.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2004

Quote:Our news is separated (in the right column) away from the rest of our content. Combine the two and we have MORE content than other fansites per day (usually).

You are right that most fansites don't update that much. Without being paid to do it, I imagine that each person can only do it so much...

Quote:All in all, I'm just amazed to find that these forums are still alive, for when I used the Wayback Machine to uncover some of Nintendojo's lost content I discovered that these were in fact the designated Nintendojo forums. And yes, I know much about the history of Nintendojo and all other fansites. Some good peoples.

They were the designated Nintendojo forums. That's how most of us who have been here since '99 or so got here. :) Either from there or from ... um, I forget the name, the site I think EdenMaster, ASM, etc. came from... It was also linked from somewhere else for a little while... Tendo Box?

It is kind of amazing that we survived losing the site owner so well, but we're just lucky that Weltall stepped up to pay for the server... :) It isn't easy to survive for months with just an EZBoard and have a living forum!

The other Nintendojo-related site I used to visit, GBC Dojo, hasn't survived as well... anyone else remember it? They had their own forum. I first found it there (in spring or summer '99 -- that was the first console games forum I visited often...) but then later it left Nintendojo and became gbstation.com... then that closed (a year or so ago) and now it's just a barely-visited EZBoard. Sad.

http://p204.ezboard.com/bgbstation

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Laser Link - 18th July 2004

Wow, an outsider who remembers the old days. Now I feel bad about my Dojo jokes. It's just that long ago I loved the Dojo so much, and now it's different and life's different and the magic of games is different, and that makes me sad. So I lash out in (a poor attempt at) sarcasm to hide my bitterness. Or something. You guys work your butts off to keep it alive, and I respect (almost) every fansite editor. So sorry.

*Kranky Kong rant* Way back in 1997 when the internet and the N64 were new to me, I stumbled upon the the might Green and Black Nintendojo forum. I made lots of friends and found lots of losers as well, and we all made the mods angry by posting polls, which consisted of a post with a question in it and then hundreds of one word replies. :D None of those new-fangled voting things you youngins are spoiled with. It was a joyous place, until sometime in the Post-Pokémon Pre-OoT season some dork named Nachoman spammed the crap out of the place, crashed it, and it disappeared with only a promise from Mikey V that it would return one day. About a year later, it did return, and as we all know that was TC v0.01 (or something). I could now describe in detail the glory of the Rarenet MB days which filled the gap between Dojo boards, as lazy has already touched on, but I'm sure I've blabbed about all of this hundreds of times and you guys know the story better than I do. :) It just feels good to remember again.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 18th July 2004

Quote:Wow, an outsider who remembers the old days. Now I feel bad about my Dojo jokes. It's just that long ago I loved the Dojo so much, and now it's different and life's different and the magic of games is different, and that makes me sad. So I lash out in (a poor attempt at) sarcasm to hide my bitterness. Or something. You guys work your butts off to keep it alive, and I respect (almost) every fansite editor. So sorry.

I did the same, and I agree...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - William Jacques - 19th July 2004

Thanks guys.

I'll try to keep you guys posted on site happenings of interest -- we already have tons of p/reviews and news, and are planning on returning to some of the Dojo's roots through more specials, features, and interactive type stuff ala Peer. The best of the old and the new, if you will.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2004

Reviews... yes, we had a few of those written by us at one point, but the site changed and the place with those is now buried and hard to get at (as in I think the only way is through the admin/mod control panels) and no one bothered to repost most of the few we had... oh well. At least it got DMiller onto the N-Philes staff (though I don't know if he's still there...). :)

Our comic section has fared better though, thanks to GR...

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - OB1 - 19th July 2004

Yeah you people sure liked to bash the 'dojo, while I (sometimes) defended it. :D Sure that's mainly because Nathan goes to my college, but hey...

Boy it's been a long time since TC has been around, eh? I feel old.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Great Rumbler - 19th July 2004

Quote:Our comic section has fared better though, thanks to GR...

We need to set up some kind system where I get paid royalties everytime someone views one of my comics.

*gives GR ten billion dollars.... of funny money... imaginary funny money*

Thanks, OB1. With all that imaginary funny money I'm sure I'll be able to pay all of my imaginary action bills.

Haha, good luck. Or something.

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - A Black Falcon - 19th July 2004

Quote:Yeah you people sure liked to bash the 'dojo, while I (sometimes) defended it. Sure that's mainly because Nathan goes to my college, but hey...

Because all the old staff left and it was bad for a while, that's why... :)

Quote:We need to set up some kind system where I get paid royalties everytime someone views one of my comics.

You'd need to count individual hits on each comic first, GR... and who would you charge? I don't see anyone HERE paying to read them. Sorry. :)

Oh, they'll pay alright!! AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anyone notice when Nintendojo died? - Dark Jaguar - 19th July 2004

Sorry, you didn't charge a thing for them. Ya start charging, I'll just stop going there :D. Not like you can retroactively charge someone for something. That's illegal.

If Red vs. Blue can sue people for downloading their show that they offered for free on their website than I can retroactively charge people for viewing my comics!