Tendo City
GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release (/showthread.php?tid=1967)

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - A Black Falcon - 3rd June 2004

Like, now. It's supposed to be the 7th but some stores seem to be releasing it early...

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Weltall - 3rd June 2004

My store got them day before yesterday.

$20 a pop for those games is about three times too much. Count me out.

For most of them yeah, but I don't have a copy of Zelda 1 yet...

Does Super Mario Bros have the extra stuff from Deluxe, or is it just the same plain Jane I got for free fifteen years ago?

They are exact NES ports. As in, Pac-Man is just Pac-Man. Even though they released a Pac-Man collection on GBA a year or two ago with three or four Pac-Games in it. SMB is plain SMB, NES edition. Donkey Kong is the NES version -- no Pie Factory level. Etc.

That sucks. You can buy SMB Deluxe for well under $20, if you look hard enough.

Hell, they could have released every single one of those games on one cart. Fifty times over. They got a hell of a racket going on, I tell you. No wonder Nintendo does so well even with GC barely turning a profit :D

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd June 2004

Wha-...? I thought the NES SP classic was due out in July! That's what the EB guy told me! God dammit!

Nope. And they look quite awesome, too.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 3rd June 2004

Hmm... the EB website says "Usually ships within 24 hours!", so perhaps the guy behind the counter was simply incompetant, and muttered "July" when he saw the little EB monitor say "June". Or maybe he just likes to crush his customers' dreams. *shakes a mental fist at him, whoever he was*

When I go home tomorrow night, I'll stop at EB and see if they have it in. I hope so. :D

I'll need another NGC memcard soon... my 59 is full (exactly!), and the 251 has something like 35 free blocks... fine for what I've gotten recently (my last two games take up a total of 9 blocks... the one before that is a larger 20, but that's not that bad either, realy...), so I can fit a few more games on it at the rate I'm going, but I don't want to get something that takes more and find I have to delete something to fit it on, so I'll need one soon. And a very big one like the 1019 would be nice. More than I'd ever use unless I start getting sports games, I think. :)

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Dark Jaguar - 3rd June 2004

UGH! WHY DOES THIS THING RANDOMLY GO BACK A PAGE WHILE I'M TYPING?! SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE!

Anyway, it's one thing to remake a game, I'm all for that. It's one thing to sell a massive collection on one cart, greatest hits from the 1980's sort of thing, I'm also interested in something like that. However, when you put the original version of a game, even though remakes HAVE been remade, or if it's a CRIPPLED version (see Super Mario Bros DX (as opposed to this release of SMB on Advance with NONE of that DX included) and Donkey Kong Arcade (as opposed to this release, which is the NES version which was changed from the original due to cart sizes being too small early in the NES life time) respectively), everyone knows exactly what you are frickin' doing. Honestly, some people will buy it I'm sure, but I don't think enough will to really justify this. If this collection DOES take off, it sets a bad precedent, and basically is telling Nintendo that not only will we buy old games by themselves at a decent price, but will ALSO buy worse versions of those games! I REALLY hope these games sell TERRIBLY!

Eh... annoying... Really though, Nintendo lately has a sort of bipolar disorder (which I'm all for until it hurts me). One second, they are totally winning me over with original game design and amazing innovations that make my head spin, the next they are selling crippled versions of old games at full price on GBA... Oh well, the only way to really get anything changed is to just make sure they get the message from what we do and don't buy from them.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - OB1 - 4th June 2004

If we got all of the super cool stuff that the Japan got with the Famicom Classic series then I'd buy a few of them, but they just plain suck over here. Nintendo released most of those games as $5 E-Cards, and now they want people to fork over $20 for them. That's insane. If I can get Zelda for around $10 I'll do it, but that's it.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 4th June 2004

Zelda on the SP will let me play the game without it resetting on me and erasing my save file for the first time in years, so I'll fork over the $20. True, the deal is crap, but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

And no, I don't like to play the game with an NES emulator. That's fun for a while, but it isn't portable, and playing with a keyboard.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Weltall - 4th June 2004

Don't you have a Dreamcast, beano?

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 4th June 2004

Yep, I still have one and play it regularly. I never got it modded, though. :S It needs to be modded to play those NES roms burned onto a cd, right?

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - OB1 - 4th June 2004

Nope.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Dark Jaguar - 4th June 2004

Thing is, the NES can be EASILY repaired so long as you are careful about it. Just open it up, get to the connector pins, and bend them all out just a little bit. Takes a bit of time, but there's only 72 of them. After that, you'll be able to slide in any game (and it'll be hard to slide them in and out by the way, at first at least), and they should ALL work first time, UNLESS something is wrong with the cart itself.

Ya know, these things really do suck... I mean, completley unspecial SMB on GBA, OR that game PLUS about a million other awesome things on GBC (and thus also GBA, meaning it's better because it can be played on more systems). Gee... that's a toughie... I have NO reason to buy that at ALL. If I want Donkey Kong, I"ll play the original GB game's first four levels without using any of Mario's new special moves, and I'll be able to play the factory level which was removed from the NES version anyway! Zelda is the only game in that whole group that interests me. Won't be long before they release Metroid, even though it's already built into both Metroid Prime and Zero Mission. Zelda I have twice over with the original gold cart and the collector's disk. Playing it portable, out of all that lot, is the only bit that interests me even the slightest, but remembering that since this IS the GBA, NOT the GBC, I have to wonder why they didn't just give us the BS Zelda remake.

Honestly, this is just plain cheap. On the other hand, Mario Vs Donkey Kong looks amazing.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 4th June 2004

Nintendo really knows how to make money [cheap ports + high price = teh monies!!], apparently the NES classics are selling like crazy in Japan.

Obbes: Whoa, really? How do you get those burned discs, then? Don't you have to buy them? I figured the place that sold'em has gone out of business by now.

DJ: Sweet... I'm gonna try that when I go home next weekend (turns out I won't be going home this weekend after all...). Thanks for the tip.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Dark Jaguar - 4th June 2004

Okay, let me recommend a flat style screwdriver for the task, a very SMALL one. Also, one other little thing you may need to do, depending on your NES. You may have to push in the cart, lower the tray, and then pull the cart out as far as you can when it's in the "down" position. A few NES systems need to do this even after realigning the pins. Anyway, you only MAY have to do that. Other than that, everything should work just fine. The NES doesn't have any security screws, just normal phillips head screws. You will need to take off the top of the system, then the really heavy duty RF shield (try turning on the NES with that thing off when it's just NEXT to a TV :D), and finally unscrew the actual cart mount. It all should come off easy, just keep track of the screws. Also, when you unscrew the mount for the carts, you'll need to sorta wiggle it around a bit to get it to slide off. (Notice the metal bar on the cart tray, that thing just snaps right off and on, just go ahead and pull that off so it doesn't get in the way when you're doing all this. In fact, it's not even needed by the NES, and I mean at ALL. The little plastic bits on the side that hold the bar straighten out the cart just fine.) Finally, you'll see the connector pins, which actually loop around and use another set of pins to link to the BUS. Just pop that right off the motherboard (easy thing to do, and replacing it is also easy) and you can hold it in your hand so you can very easily see what you are doing. Anyway, after doing the whole straightening bit (just make sure you only wedge up those pins a little, just enough to get them up to the level of the plastic between the pins should do it, ya don't want to break them or anything, also make SURE you don't make any of the pins touch each other, for obvious reasons, but that should be easy enough to avoid, just a warning), just put it all back. Again, the cart tray will be a little tricky, but everything else should be easy enough to put back so long as you keep track of all the screws. Oh yes, while you're in there, use a little compressed air to dust the thing off. Anyway, once you get it all put back in place, plug it in and test it out. Actually, you may just want to plug only the tray and pins back into place so you can test it BEFORE you put it all back together.

Anyway, if you did it all just fine, and there wasn't any corrosion on the pins, then you should now have a fully working NES! Now you don't have to search for a new style NES that lacks A/V just to play your games! (Though, that controller is pretty nice. I use a top loading NES style controller with my original front loader for the best experience.)

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - OB1 - 6th June 2004

Sacred Jellybean Wrote:Obbes: Whoa, really? How do you get those burned discs, then? Don't you have to buy them? I figured the place that sold'em has gone out of business by now.

You can just make them yourself. Get the software at dcemulation.com and follow the directions. You'll have to get the ROMS for yourself.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 6th June 2004

*plays SNES roms on Dreamcast*

*plays the maracas*

*plays a banjo*

*plays the bongos*

*plays...nothing* :(

:(

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - lazyfatbum - 6th June 2004

*plays with himself*

STICKY!

AAAAAHHHH SNAP!!!

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 6th June 2004

Quote:You can just make them yourself. Get the software at dcemulation.com and follow the directions. You'll have to get the ROMS for yourself.

Holy crap... and I've been missing out on this all this time, all because I was dumb and assumed the DC had to be modded for it to work?! Fuck, my friends are right... I am deprived. :(

I'm gonna try this out this weekend, though... it'll be a nice reward, after finals.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - A Black Falcon - 6th June 2004

Smash TV alone was almost worth the $20 that the Midway Arcade Treasures cost...

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Sacred Jellybean - 11th June 2004

2 reasons I'm gonna be a cool guy and post in this thread:

One, thanks again for the tips DJ, I'm gonna print them out and open the sucker up and operate while watching Ed, Edd, n Eddy (buttered toast!) in a few minutes.

B, I got that NES GBA SP (that's one helluvan acronym) that was just released. It looks... awesome. I love it to pieces, and because of it, I'm gonna buy some games I've heard a lot of good about (Fire Emblem, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid: Zero Hour, Advance Wars, etc). Oh, and I broke down and bought Zelda. It's been so long since I've played it... such a great game, too. I'm also gonna try that DC Emulation thing in my spare time, which I'll have a lot of during my vacation from school.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - EdenMaster - 13th June 2004

That's one huge Memory Card! Right now, all of my gaming info is scattered across 4 cards. 2 251 cards which hold my normal game data, a 251 for my Metal Gear Solid data, and a 59 for my Animal Crossing town. It'd be nice to bring all that together in perfect harmony...

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Dark Jaguar - 13th June 2004

Except your animal crossing data will have to stay on whatever card you put it on. Sorry, that can't be copied or moved. I can understand not allowing people to COPY those saves... but really, let us at least MOVE them.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - UltraMarioMan - 13th June 2004

Quote:AAAAAHHHH SNAP!!!
You can't tell me you didn't see that co...ohh I almost walked right into that!

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 13th June 2004

:D

Dark Jaguar Wrote:Except your animal crossing data will have to stay on whatever card you put it on. Sorry, that can't be copied or moved. I can understand not allowing people to COPY those saves... but really, let us at least MOVE them.

Oh yeah...I forgot about that...

Ah well. It'll just stay in the case with the game itself. Out of sight, out of mind. I wonder how old Eden village is doing, anyhow...

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 13th June 2004

I went back to my town after being gone for a long time and I found that my sister had left junk laying all over the place. :shake:

On the upside she didn't know that the dinosaur bones and stuff that she left laying around could be sold to Tom Nook for big time cash money. Ka-ching!!

Good God. I just went to my town and there's more weeds there than Snoop Doggs house. Cockroaches were all over my house too. Most of the animals I remember were still hanging around (Billy, Olivia, Cashmere, Tom, Weber, and the rest), and it seems that Crazy Redd will be in town in a few days!

I still hate how the bridges in my town are placed...

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Geno - 14th June 2004

Weltall Wrote:My store got them day before yesterday.

$20 a pop for those games is about three times too much. Count me out.

$20 divided by three is...

$6.66! Weltall is the devil!

... Jesus

(Well, $6.67 if you do proper rounding.)

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - OB1 - 14th June 2004

Animal Crossing online for the DS is going to be so damn fun.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Dark Jaguar - 14th June 2004

I'm starting to consider starting my Animal Crossing town over again. It'd be fun to go through a few of those things again. Though, actually I have to wonder exactly how much I'd want to keep this once AC2 comes out... I mean, I generally don't ditch ANY of my games, but ya know, I have to wonder if I'd ever pick this up after transferring all the AC1 exclusive items to AC2 (and we all know that's EXACTLY what Nintendo is going to do).

I fear stepping back into my arcade... er house, and having to move around all those systems so I can stomp on roaches for about ten minutes. Eh, anyway I dunno. I will say once again that online animal crossing, though it won't be happening any time soon, would be totally cool.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 14th June 2004

Animal Crossing on the DS could be online, and we all know that that would be the greatest thing ever since that last thing that we said that about.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - EdenMaster - 14th June 2004

Actually, a really easy way to do away with roaches is to pull out a piece of furniture that is against the wall with two other things beside it. Then pull the furniture out, the roach will go into where it was, and have nowhere to go. Push the furniture back in and the roach goes squish. Keep on doing this until no more roaches come out. Really a time saver.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 5th July 2004

Amazingly, after being gone for nearly 18 months my home was roach-free.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - A Black Falcon - 12th July 2004

NES Zelda was well worth $20. I finally have a copy of that game... :)

I've gotten to the 5th dungeon. It's tough.

GBA NES Classics/NES GBA/Memcard 1019 Release - Great Rumbler - 12th July 2004

Target is running a sale on some of the NES Classics games. You can get NES Zelda for about $17.