Tendo City
If unhappy with gas prices please read - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: If unhappy with gas prices please read (/showthread.php?tid=1919)

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Wiitigo - 13th May 2004

IT HAS BEEN CALCULATED THAT IF EVERYONE IN THE UNITED STATES DID NOT PURCHASE A DROP OF GASOLINE FOR ONE DAY AND ALL AT THE SAME TIME, THE OIL COMPANIES WOULD CHOKE ON THEIR STOCKPILES. AT THE SAME TIME IT WOULD HIT THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY WITH A NET LOSS OF OVER 4.6 BILLION DOLLARS WHICH AFFECTS THE BOTTOM LINES OF THE OIL COMPANIES. THEREFORE MAY 19TH HAS BEEN FORMALLY DECLARED THE DAY THAT PEOPLE OF THIS NATION SHOULD NOT BUY A SINGLE DROP OF GASOLINE. THE ONLY WAY THIS CAN BE DONE IS IF YOU FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN AND AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN TO GET THE WORD OUT. WAITING ON THIS ADMINISTRATION TO STEP IN AND CONTROL THE PRICES IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REDUCTION AND CONTROL IN PRICES THAT THE ARAB NATIONS PROMISED TWO WEEKS AGO? REMEMBER ONE THING, NOT ONLY IS THE PRICE OF GASOLINE GOING UP BUT AT THE SAME TIME AIRLINES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES, TRUCKING COMPANIES ARE FORCED TO RAISE THEIR PRICES WHICH EFFECTS PRICES ON EVERYTHING THAT IS SHIPPED. THINGS LIKE FOOD, CLOTHING, BUILDING MATERIALS, MEDICAL SUPPLIES ETC. WHO PAYS IN THE END? WE DO! WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE. IF THEY DON'T GET THE MESSAGE AFTER ONE DAY, WE WILL DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. SO DO YOUR PART AND SPREAD THE WORD. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW. MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND MAKE MAY 19TH A DAY THAT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES SAY "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH"

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Undertow - 13th May 2004

HI HOW ARE YOU?!?!?!?!

I NEED $20 DOLLARS FOR GAS TO VISIT MY AUNT THIS WEEKEND, WILL YOU PLEASE PAYPAL THE MONEY TO ME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Weltall - 13th May 2004

I only buy gas every two weeks. It's annoying that prices have gone up, but it's not worth shitting my pants over. I mean, hell, I spend four bucks a month more to fill my tank up than I did last month. It means I borrow a newspaper every other day instead of buying my own.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - OB1 - 13th May 2004

How much is gas over ther? It's $2 here.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Dark Jaguar - 13th May 2004

Well, this person likely posted once and will never come back here. Anyway, chain letters never get anything accomplished except to test my spam blocker.

Capital letters are just annoying. They don't make you look smarter, or make your post look more important.

Trying to get everyone in America to do something on one day will not work, ever. Maybe if you advertised it and got some highly respected people to say something for it, but not with some chain letter no one will even bother reading.

I would like to see the evidence for your claim they would collapse so badly due to one day's lack of sales. Sure, I imagine it would hurt a bit, but hardly enough to do any real damage. Simply saying "it has been calculated" is not proof. Show me these calculations, and then the sources for the numbers used in those calculations.

Anyway, nice to see a new person here, too bad it had to be THIS person.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Weltall - 14th May 2004

Locally, it ranges from $1.69 to $1.85 for 87 grade, depending on where you go.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - alien space marine - 14th May 2004

In BC canada it was at 1.00 a litre which is crazier.

Canada still pays more then the U.S.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Great Rumbler - 14th May 2004

It's about $1.78 where I live.

It seems like $10 gets me less and less everytime I got to the pump...

Speaking of high prices has anyone noticed the price of milk lately? It's nearly doubled!!

If unhappy with gas prices please read - OB1 - 14th May 2004

Damn that's not too bad, Weltall and GR.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Weltall - 14th May 2004

Apparently, geography has a lot to do with it. The lowest prices are near the Gulf coast, because that's where most of the domestic drilling takes place, and therefore, it costs least to ship it to those areas local to them.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 14th May 2004

The average is $1.91 now. It was $1.57 late last year, and up until just about a month ago, $1.71.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Moiraine - 14th May 2004

Well May 19th sounds like a good day to get gas.. No lines, no waiting. ^_^

If unhappy with gas prices please read - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2004

$2. And yes, milk prices have gone way up recently...

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 14th May 2004

I work at a grocery store, and milk prices just went up 10 cents per 1 gallon unit there, reflecting similar changes at the local Stop & Shop. But gas is far, far worse.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - geoboy - 14th May 2004

:(

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Great Rumbler - 15th May 2004

I feel your pain, geoboy.

Btw, Milk where I live has gone up from $2 a gallon to $3.44!! In TWO WEEKS!!

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Weltall - 15th May 2004

I paid a buck seventy-nine per last night.

I remember right after 9-11, it had gotten as low as 88 cents.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Great Rumbler - 15th May 2004

Quote:it had gotten as low as 88 cents.

Those were the days...

Yeah. Sometimes though, there will be one station around town that will offer a dramatically reduced price for a certain period of time to kill anyone around them. East Coast does that a lot. Recently, they were doing $1.10, when everyone around them was $1.60. (and one Shell station nearby was already $1.85! I dunno why anyone ever goes there, they're always at least ten cents more than everyone else!)

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Laser Link - 15th May 2004

I've heard San Diego is the worst major city in the nation, at around $2.40.

I think Weltall has his sig linked to some server somehwere, because I have trouble believing a Windows box could be usable after 14 days of uptime. ;)

Well, Sig-X is linked to a remote server, but the uptime report is from my own machine.

You have to keep in mind, I have half a gig of DDR memory, and I never play games or anything. Save for when I play with Photoshop, pretty much all I do is surf the net, listen to music, and run Word. 512 megs of RAM can stretch very far with such a small workload. I think 23 days is the longest I've gone.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - geoboy - 15th May 2004

Unfortunately my computer is gas powered, so I try to not leave it running for such long periods of time.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 15th May 2004

The lowest one I saw today in Wareham, Massachusetts was $1.95. The very same Hess station was $1.87 three days ago. The highest I saw was $2.05.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Dark Jaguar - 15th May 2004

I've left my computer up and running for MONTHS on end, just because I don't like resetting until I absolutely need to, and that's rare.

The key isn't having a LOT of RAM, because good programs don't have memory leaks eating up memory all the time, and I tend to make sure those are the only kinds of programs I run, oh and Windows :D. (Seriously, XP is a pretty stable OS, though not perfect, what with all it's proprietary useless cosmetic features.)

The key is not loading up a bunch of useless stuff all AT ONCE. People seem to think that multitasking means a computer can run a bunch of programs without slowing down at all. Not true. It just means you can run a bunch of programs, but it WILL slow down if the workload exceeds the processor's abilities. I keep my anti-virus program up and running, but nothing else at all most of the time. I may surf the web, or have my CD player running in the background, and maybe also Trillian, maybe even have Paint, Word, or Visual Studio open if I happen to be working on some little thing, or big thing, but that's only about 4 programs at a time right there, and I'll actually SHUT DOWN a program when I'm not using it instead of just MINIMIZING it like EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY DOES. Yeesh, the number of times they ran for help and I come to find they have about 4 instances of the game Toon World running at once minimized in the tool bar... But I digress... Anyway, if I'm playing a game, I'm playing it with nothing but the antivirus running in the background, so that's just one. (Exceptions are really old games during times when I feel like listening to some music to really spruce up that Tank Wars match.)

Anyway, my point is that if you run your machine using that golden rule your parents taught you, it'll be stable almost indefinitly. That rule? Put your toys away when you are done playing with them! Yeesh it's like a PIG PEN in here! Can't you kids at LEAST make a path I can walk through? (Can't you at least keep enough memory open that I can operate the machine?) Don't just shove everything under the bed! (Don't just minimize everything!) I swear I'll just give these toys to kids who'll take care of them! (I swear I'll just uninstall this!)

Of course, often times as of late, it's not just user error that's to blame, it's the spyware. Ohhhh the spyware. Part of me REALLY wants to see Lynux succeed, but part of me fears that when it does, spyware shall slowly but surely be designed for it, until it spreads in waves to those systems. While I am of the understanding that it has far less security holes in it than a Windows system, it's those OTHER bits of software I'm concerned of, the stuff someone downloads on their own, like Weatherbug, because they simply MUST know what the weather is like outside but hey, I can't be bothered to look out the frickin' window here or watch the news, and I can't be bothered to just surf the web, I gotta have it ALWAYS running back there, and I don't care if it's secretly eating resources doing it's job of redirects, spying, and generally being a very naughty program.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - EdenMaster - 16th May 2004

$2.05 round these parts. Just a few moments ago I went and put $10 worth into my tank, because it was near empty. It brought me up to a quarter of a tank. That is nothing short of absurd.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 17th May 2004

And the best part is that this shortage was decidedly designed by OPEC.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Great Rumbler - 17th May 2004

Yes it was.

OPEC is teh suck.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 17th May 2004

Liberals: BUSH IS A MONSTER! HE'S GOING TO IRAQ FOR OIL!
ME: Amen, and thank god! Now maybe the prices will go down.

Let's go drilling in ANWR too.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Weltall - 17th May 2004

Hell yeah. Fuck the wildlife. Alaska's big, they can move.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - A Black Falcon - 17th May 2004

Yeah, hasn't all that Iraqi oil we've gotten in the last year been a big help in dropping gas prices? ... oh wait, we won't be getting much for years because of how decayed their whole system is...

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Dark Lord Neo - 17th May 2004

$0.88/L
I was watching the CBC the other day and they had an economist saying that gas is actually cheaper to buy now than it was in the 1980's when you factor in inflation, it's just that it was really cheap for a while in the 90's.
It's also not likely that people will stop driving SUV's due to prices because if it doesn't bother them to be driving somthing that depreciates in value at roughtly $1000/month they should worry about the gas being a little higher

Quote:Yeah, hasn't all that Iraqi oil we've gotten in the last year been a big help in dropping gas prices?

It would have, but OPEC cut production.

Dark Lord Neo Wrote:$0.88/L
I was watching the CBC the other day and they had an economist saying that gas is actually cheaper to buy now than it was in the 1980's when you factor in inflation, it's just that it was really cheap for a while in the 90's.
It's also not likely that people will stop driving SUV's due to prices because if it doesn't bother them to be driving somthing that depreciates in value at roughtly $1000/month they should worry about the gas being a little higher

Oh yeah.

Numerically, this the highest gas prices have ever been in America. Adjusted for inflation, we're nowhere near the crisis we had back in the late 70s. Plus, we don't have the rationing and the gas lines, either.

All told, it could be much worse. OPEC's production cut has an effect, but it's not the only thing. The Chinese having a much higher demand hurts us too.

Honestly, we should do whatever it takes to secure and exploit any domestic sources we can find. Then, this would not be an issue to the extent that it is now.

Quote:It would have, but OPEC cut production.

Nope. We've gotten almost nothing out of Iraq. Why? The wells are ancient and decaying. The pipelines are old and get bombed or break. The whole infrastructure is just awful. A natural result of a decade of sanctions, but something we should have anticipated when they came up with those fantasies of shiploads of Iraqi oil freeing us from the Saudis...

We really don't seem to be trying very hard to stablize their oil sources.

So much for the Blood For Oil angle.

Oil is coming out of Iraq [around 500k barrels a day I think], that would have caused prices to go down a bit but OPEC keeps cutting their production so prices are going up.

OPEC is smart then, wanting to make some money after several years of very low gas prices...

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Laser Link - 17th May 2004

DJ, you crack me up. :)

XP is a pretty stable OS, but I have to poke fun at MS whenever I can. It's part of how my school trained me.

Just a little FYI, since I just finished my Operating Systems class... Like you said, a big key to having multiple programs running is limited by the processor- most of the time your processor is fast enough to time share and make all the programs look like they are happening instantly. Of course, if you have too many programs running, the processor can't keep up an you can notice slowdown. But RAM is a key as well, because if you have several big programs going, and together they want more RAM than you have, you have to do the whole virtual memory thing, and switching data from RAM to hard disk is slow and a big bottleneck. And of course you have the even bigger input/output slowdown, but if you have a process that needs I/O, the OS will be smart enough to block the process from running anymore until it's I/O is done and it is ready to continue processing. In the mean time all the other processes that can run get a little bit more CPU time, and everything works out great. Well, it works out great for the end user, but concurrency is a real pain in the butt for the OS programmer, especially if they try to play with threads...

And I don't really know why OS have so much trouble, except for the fact that they are the biggest programs you can imagine. I'm sure memory leaks are a big thing, but there is also soooooooooooo much going on underneath that after learning the little I have, I am amazed that this stuff even works at all. It was so difficult to get everything to work together in my OS project, and we had a toy OS. Most of the students didn't even come close to finishing, and some of these are guys who have been programming since they were 6 or 7. I still like to make fun of Microsoft, but I have a lot more respect for their programming skills than before.

I still have no respect for anything else they do, like marketing, business practices, ...

This wasn't to say "You're wrong" or anything like that, I just figured you would be interested, since you already know so much.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Dark Jaguar - 17th May 2004

Not sure if that last part was sarcasm, but if it is, it's certainly valid! :D

Yeah, RAM is also a major issue. I happen to have about a gig of the stuff, so that's not a problem there...

Here's a thing I take issues with, and MS is to blame. I haven't really taken the time to test how XP handles it, but the 9X systems don't even bother using up ALL the RAM before using the virtual memory to handle stuff. There is the obvious solution of turning virtual memory off, forcing it to use physical memory for everything, but that's really not the optimal solution. The optimal solution is for the OS to actually make sure that it HAS to use VM before actually resorting to it. 9X doesn't do that, which means that there is a lot of slow down when there shouldn't be.

Oh yes, I am with you in that I am often surprised an OS ever actually works at all. When you have a console, the OS is either totally absent or it's all just a small system to check for everything it needs off a game disk or cart. The game itself handles everything so everything will always be fully optimal, so long as the game was programmed well. With an OS, well, yeah, it's basically a large program for running other programs and it has to operate in such a way as to allow all sorts of programs to do all sorts of different things, and a multitasking one (like all the big name ones are these days) has to manage everything in a way that's seamless to the user, even though processors can't ACTUALLY run multiple instructions at once (our brain can, and it's amazing how well orchastrated it is without a conductor, we're heading that way with computers, but it's still far off).

Eh, anyway that last part is basically just restating what you just said in my own words... I'll just suffice it to say that learning about how an OS works over the years gives me respect for MS, but more so for the guys that can get a system that truly works flawlessly. I really need to try lynux one day to actually test it myself. I finally figured out what on earth an ISO file is (yes, I have a LOT to learn :D), so I'll be finding a program that can burn those onto disks so I can finally test out some flavor of Lynux. I'm leaning towards red hat, but maybe you can recommend your personal favorite.

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Darunia - 18th May 2004

I think they should tap into the national petroleum reserve just to lower prices maybe 20 cents a gallon. I know it's only there for emergencies, but...well I don't fucking like paying $2.00 a gallon!

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Laser Link - 18th May 2004

No, I was being serious when I said that you know a lot. I have 4 years of computer science education at a good university, but you seem to know as much as I do about a lot of the practical stuff. That's what I want to know more of, and they don't really touch on it because it is assumed you know it already. I really wish that I had learned more when I was younger.

I think most cd burning software should let you burn ISos. They might call it something different, but the idea is the same. Nero does for sure, and I think you can get a free trial version.

I use Redhat as well, because I've heard it's the most beginner friendly. Debian and Mandrake are pretty easy as well. They come with hundreds of software utilities for everything you can think of, which is good, but also overwhelming at first. They are owned by companies now, so you can buy the OS along with support and training if you want. But they are all still freely available as well. Another good thing about Redhat is that when you do want to install new software, most of the time you can download an RPM (Redhat Package Manager), which is just like a Windows self-installing program. It's a nice alternative to compiling the source code on your own machine, which can also have a learning curve.

I really don't have a lot of experience with Linux either. In fact, it still is stuck running in 640x480 because I haven't found the time to go looking for drivers for my ATI graphics card. A lot of stuff in Linux, like this, is more work, but when you figure out what you are doing, it becomes a lot of fun to customize your machine to do exactly what you want. It's not perfect, so don't get your hopes up too much. The first thing you will notice is that it takes about 4 minutes to boot up, as opposed to a minute for XP for me. You can customize you bootup as well, and make it very very fast, but it doesn't come automatically. So don't expect it to be perfect, and don't give up.

Here's a couple places to get you started, if you are looking:
<a href="http://www.nomadlinux.com/linuxreadme.html">Linux Help</a>
<a href="http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz">Linux Tutorial</a>
And some good books I would recomend: Running Linux or the Redhat Linux 9 Bible. I bought both, and they were pretty similar, so I just kept Running Linux. Either should be enough to teach you everything you need to know to get into Linux. The Linux Tutorial link I gave you probably has as much content as the books, but I usually prefer paper.

Good luck and have fun!

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Moiraine - 20th May 2004

Ahaha Darunia I love you signature!

If unhappy with gas prices please read - Geno - 20th May 2004

Um... I bought gas yesterday before I even knew about this campaign... oops?

I did hear about it from my folks yesterday though. That was after I bought gas. And the car's tank was on empty anyway. Plus, I graduated yesterday, and the place where the graduation ceremony took place wasn't biking distance.