Tendo City
E3: PSP - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: E3: PSP (/showthread.php?tid=1909)

Pages: 1 2

E3: PSP - OB1 - 11th May 2004

From psp.ign.com:

Quote:
May 11, 2004 - To say that Sony's PlayStation Portable handheld system dominated the company's E3 2004 press conference would be an understatement. Officially unveiled approximately 20 minutes into the presentation, the new game system was a big hit with the crowd and finally answered several of questions that most of us have been asking in the year since the hardware was first announced.

Scheduled to be launched in Japan at the end of the year (North America and Europe get it in the spring of 2005), The PSP is available in PlayStation 2 black with a 16:9 widescreen TFT LCD display that boasts over 16.7 million colors and a resolution of 480x272. Dimensionally, its numbers are 170mm x 74mm x 23mm with a weight of 260 grams. Basic portable functions like built-in stereo speakers, exterior headphone connector, brightness control and sound mode selectors are among the lineup of features, and the buttons mirror that of a PlayStation 2 controller almost exactly (Square, Triangle, X, and Circle face buttons, a digital pad, start, select, and an analog thumb stick populate the face, with two shoulder buttons on the top).

Additionally, the new system comes standard with USB 2.0 and 802.11b Wi-Fi wireless LAN connectors that allow for multiple PSPs to be simultaneously connected to one another. Data and software can then be downloaded either by using the wireless LAN connections or through the use of a Memory Stick Pro Duo. The PSP also adopts the small high-capacity optical medium Universal Media Disc, the UMD. This format not only allows for 1.8 GB of space, it also provides an extremely versatile format for games, music, and video. The press conference demo showed off the trailer for Spider-Man 2 (the movie not the game) as well as Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children which is coming to both the DVD and UMD formats. To protect the content, a robust copyright protection system has been developed which utilizes a combination of a unique disc ID, a 128 bit AES encryption keys for the media, and individual ID for each PSP hardware unit.

[Image: e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-...136976.jpg]

Unfortunately, Sony did not announce a price point for the system so how much the unit will cost is still somewhat of a mystery. We expect officials to announce a more formal pricing structure at the upcoming ECTS or Tokyo Game show events; but we wouldn't mind if something a little meatier came down the pipeline before then. Click on our media page below to view the first official images from the system and stay tuned to IGNPSP for more throughout the day.

[Image: e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-...131751.jpg]

[Image: e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-...131907.jpg]

[Image: e3-2004-sony-officially-unveils-the-psp-...131548.jpg]

Alright, here's what I think of the system so far. On a technical level it's amazing. 10 hour battery life for games, an amazingly huge (for a handheld) 16x9 screen, a nice button layout (including what I think is an analog... nipple or stick or something), the design of the system is very sleek (much better-looking than the DS IMO), and the games announced so far sound really great. I'm just not quite as exited about it right now as I am for the DS since we haven't gotten a good look at any of the big games, which is what matters. All I know is that as long as the price is right, Sony could very well dominate the portable gaming market, or at least take a huge chunk out of it. I can't wait until it comes out next spring.

E3: PSP - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2004

I wonder how much of a factor size will be?

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2004

Two shoulder buttons -- any ports will have to change to adapt for four (from my best count, anyway...) fewer buttons. :)

Oh, and I wonder if that is an analog ... something .... It could be, you're right, but I really don't know. It could just as easily be something else, I'd need more info and probably a better picture...

As for the PSP, I'm sure it'll do well. Price is the one thing that might restrict its success. I'm sure the hardware will be normal Sony (not so great) quality, and the games will be ports and heavy on the not that good games, but it'll have more than enough to do well. If that 10 hour battery life is true then that'd be a huge plus for the thing, having battery life close to as long as the DS... it'd cut down that possible advantage, certainly. And Sony's advertising and current popularity will bring it success. It'll just be limited by what it costs...

Now, DS vs PSP will be interesting. One much more powerful, the other much less, and one has a 1.8GB disk vs a 120MB card, but otherwise... both appear to have 8 buttons, though. And a D-Pad, with no obvious analog controls in either. But the PSP has ... whatever that thing is... and a bigger screen, while the DS has its touchscreen and microphone. Very different machines will make for an interesting competition.

The biggest question right now is how much less the DS's $150 will be than the PSP.

You still haven't said anything about you being so totally wrong about the battery life and me being so totally right and so much better of a person than you are. :)

See, I was more interested in analyzing the current situation... but I did mention it. Read my last post again, please.

So I was wrong. So? I always thought the PSP would do well, if by Sony's marketing power and name alone... Sony may have issues, but they aren't totally stupid. That is also evidenced by the final design of the PSP -- that prototype was, IMO, really ugly and it appeared to have horrible ergonomics, while the final one is nice looking and seems fine... I thought they'd improve it, and they did.

So the battery life is better. It means that the PSP drops one of its two biggest hurdles to success... and if Sony's willing to take a big hit, like they might, the price might even end up $200-250. At that point the DS would have serious competition... though because it's unique it'd certainly also have a place. But we will see.

You thought the battery life would be 3 hours, and I said no. Let me just have my moment of glory. I love proving you wrong. :)

I wish I could say the same, but every time I do you refuse to admit it...

That's because they're always in your mind. This is objective fact.

We said a battery life of three [which was the PSP's reported battery life] would be a bad thing, you said a three hour battery life wouldn't be that bad. But, the battery life is 10 hours which is pretty good.

I said three would never happen, but that perhaps five could work but still doubted that was the real battery life.

You guys = pwned

:p

:p

I said that three hours would be bad, and it would be.

You = Pwned

Quote:That's because they're always in your mind. This is objective fact.

It's this kind of extreme egotism that makes "arguing" with you so insufferable... okay, so that second part looks like an attempt at humor. But it's not funny when you act out exactly that in fact.

Oh, and you must admit that those 3-hour things were based on rumors we'd heard. Which, as I recall saying many times, were all we had to go on... there'd been nothing to suggest the number would be any higher. If it were different, I wouldn't have taken the position I did, obviously...

I told you over and over that those were just rumors but you refused to listen to me. You said that it was probably true, and now that I've proven you wrong you can't admit how wrong and dumb you were. HOW TYPICAL. So sad...

BTW that is an analog stick under the PSP dpad.

I don't know if 'stick' is correct... it doesn't look much like one... :) ... but it's some kind of analog device? I did expect one, really. It'd be pretty odd to make a system that powerful these days without one.

It's confirmed to be an analogue joystick thingy.

E3: PSP - geoboy - 12th May 2004

I've heard that the PSP will only last up to 10 hours when you use it as an MP3 player. When watching movies or playing games, it only lasts for 2.5 hours.

E3: PSP - OB1 - 12th May 2004

I watched the conference and the guy stated that it's 10 hours for gameplay and music and 2.5 hours for movies. Some sites weren't sure what he said, but you can check it out yourself.

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 12th May 2004

WOW! I want it!

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 12th May 2004

Ahh... here's the exact facts. OB1, you were close... but not quite right. The final word? We still don't know.

http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513734p1.html

Quote:E3 2004: Still No Battery Life Answers
How long will it last? How about 10 hours! How about 2 hours?!?
May 11, 2004 - Frankly, this one made a few of us livid -- this editor practically had to be held back by a fellow pressman from Game Informer Magazine upon hearing the otherwise-quite-likeable Sony Computer Entertainment of America CEO Kaz Hirai gloss over with abstractions one of the most important details regarding the PlayStation Portable. But despite the handheld's planned release being just a few months away for Japan and a little bit longer for its early 2005 release stateside, SCE was not ready to be firm yet regarding battery life for the PSP system.

Sticking to the rather vague notion of battery life being equivalent to "traditional portable electronic entertainment devices," Sony announced at E3 the equivalent of a gigantic shoulder shrug by giving only vague details of what that will mean instead of directly addressing what typical gameplay life will last. It's somewhere between 10 hours and 2 1/5 hours, that much we know. And have known, for months. Beyond that, it's kind of hazy, and we're not sure if that haze is the cloud drifting around in Sony's R&D office as they still nail down the specifics of the system (no PSP kiosks are expected to be playable on the E3 show floor), or if it's the vapor trail of rage that's streaming out of our eyeballs and nostrils.

Think we're kidding? Below is the exact quote Hirai gave regarding the lasting life of the handheld system.

"So, what is the battery life going to be on PlayStation Portable? It will be on par with traditional handheld systems, or approximately 10 hours. It is comparable to an ATC [ATRAC] portable music player, or approximately 8 hours. Or, it will be comparable to portable DVD players, which, in many cases, is about 2 and a half hours.
--Kaz Hirai, May 11, 2004

OK, now, first things first: do not pound on your monitor or computer in disbelief and frustration, for it will not help. If anything, smash your keyboard, for it is cheaper. But once the blood has drained from your steaming eyes, note that a look between the lines of this insanity, you will find a sliver of sense. Battery life will depend heavily on system usage, particularly in regards to the use of the UMD drive and the heavy use of the processor's power. When it comes to movies and music, these indications may be in line with expectations of what the system will actually deliver -- music tracks will not use the UMD much as the music files will quickly be dumped into memory so the disc can spin down, so it should be able to save considerable battery life in that area, and even high-end MP4 players end up, at best, with only a couple of hours of play (though, it should be said, most MP4 players we've come across have been HD-based, and since PDAs already drink batteries just running the OS, so it's tough to judge just what we should expect if media is off a Memory Stick or other medium.)

Also, you should know that, in the last few words of his speech, Kaz trailed off in a way that, if just for a second, sounded as if he was about to say in the middle of his well-rehearsed speech, "...which, in many cases, is about 2 and a half hours ... Wait, hold the phone, what am I saying?"

How much gas will GT4 guzzle?

The thing that troubles us, of course, is the gaming equivalency comparison -- do the math, because this does not compute. One could put gameplay expectations somewhere in between that 10 and 2 1/2 (although some could mistake it in the speech, Mr. Hirai did not mean to say that these numbers correspond with each function of PSP use -- they're just estimations of max life.) The problem is that even MP4 playback would use only a fraction of the PSP's power -- whereas the games we all like to play use it all, and then some -- and though many games are able to cache large amounts of data and leave the disc to spin down, streaming is the new way to go in the post-GTA world of expansive game design. Even at best, that would still mean a lot of sacrifices in the audio area alone just to play the simplest of expected titles (unless an in-game audio compression system is worked out to avoid typical realtime music load streaming.) Sure, maybe Bust A Move would be able to get up into the same 8 hours of gameplay that an MP3 player would drain off of the size battery included with the PSP (an 1,800 mAh Lithium), but if you're looking to play a handheld version of Gran Turismo 4 that is "...Not at all inferior to its PS2 counterpart," we're going to again guess that you had better stick near a socket.

Battery life has been a key concern to Sony since long before even committing to entering the portable business. In the past, Sony gave as its reason for not entering the portable arena after the success of PlayStation that the company was waiting for technology to be able to deliver the kind of cinematic gameplay revolutionized by the console at a reasonable expense and with an acceptable battery life. Most indications were that Sony was on the road to finally make that leap with technology behind them, but whispers from developers have contradicted that story -- one off-the-record insider comment told us in the early days of the system's progress that initial tests of hardware ran for less than an hour. That was, we assume, a stress test running unoptimized code and unusually draining applications, but it was indeed well into the system's development cycle -- the story came our way after developer kits were released to programming houses last Winter. E3 would have been the place to put fears to rest, but sadly, madly, and badly, Sony did not take the opportunity to explain better than that it'd either last long enough to hang with a GBA or else sputter out just after the ship goes down while you're watching Titanic.

Now that the PSP has been unveiled, we're hoping that developers will be able to whisper a little more loudly as far as their experiences working with the handheld hardware. Unfortunately, dev kits currently do not include running hardware, so there is not much to go on besides what Sony's told us so far, and if stories are to be believed, the saga is still ongoing as coders experiment with the immensely versatile processor clocking options to find the best compromise between wow and power. We'll keep up on the issue and keep you up on any news in this area.

(And by the by, of course I would not have throttled Kaz if I had not been held back upon hearing this non-news. But before security dragged me away, we might have had words...)
-- Nix: 165 Pounds of Fury

Given how for years everything I'd heard said 'like other similar portable entertainment devices', which meant 2-6 hours, 10 seemed higher than I expected for sure... this makes a lot more sense. It makes a lot of sense, actually. I believed the 10 because that's what you said they said, but this is much more in line with what I thought is possible...

However, it will have 32MB of RAM in addition to the 4MB of DRAM. Fixing the one big hole in the thing, tech-wise...

http://psp.ign.com/articles/513/513544p1.html

I seriously doubt it'll be 2-6 hours. We'll see.

... um, did you read that article? Do so.

3-6 hours was the estimate from last year's rumors. But this article is more specific -- anywhere between 2 1/2 and 10 1/2 hours. Great.

The article is still just speculation as the guys at the press conference made their words sound a bit confusing.

More than a bit, OB1... but yes, it is speculation... but it's informed speculation. They are basing it on facts. They know how long modern batteries last... and today nothing pushing power (and using that power) like the PSP could last 10 hours, I think, with the kind of battery it has. As they say, it might well get 8-10 for MP3s, but for games? That is very doubtful, since they'll be pushing the thing and draining its power...

E3: PSP - Great Rumbler - 12th May 2004

Quote:"So, what is the battery life going to be on PlayStation Portable? It will be on par with traditional handheld systems, or approximately 10 hours. It is comparable to an ATC [ATRAC] portable music player, or approximately 8 hours. Or, it will be comparable to portable DVD players, which, in many cases, is about 2 and a half hours.

That doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. Seems like he's saying "It COULD be as much as high as 10 hours, but...*cough*It'sreallymorelike2andahalf*cough*.

ABF, again you are making speculation sound like fact. The most power will be drained from UMDs spinning constantly, which is what UMD music discs and movies will do. Most games don't work that way.

Like I said, wait and see.

So you're saying that you know how the PSP's battery life will work out better than IGN PSP does?

As for that, as the article says, many games these days stream.

No, I'm saying that none of us know yet.

You're only saying that because all of the evidence goes towards you being wrong.

There's not a shred of evidence, only speculation. That is obviously something you cannot differentiate between.

So, it looks like waiting for E3 didn't do much to answer that particular question.

Oh, it shed light on it all right. Not definite proof, but light. But OB1 is too stubborn to admit it.

That guy's statement didn't make any sense.

That's for sure... but I'd think that if it was definitely high he'd say so. Their analysis seems to make sense to me.

No, because we still don't have all of the facts. There's a reason they were misleading with the battery life, perhaps because they're still working on that aspect.

E3: PSP - Great Rumbler - 13th May 2004

Still, you gotta agree that the way he said was bizarre.

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 13th May 2004

I use the Koran as Toilet paper, I rip off pages and start wiping.
Doing my part to fight terrorism.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 13th May 2004

GR, it wasn't bizarre, it was dodging the issue... :)

E3: PSP - OB1 - 13th May 2004

Or misleading people so that they don't ask one thing until they've finalized all of the details.

Um, OB1, it seemed to be DESIGNED to mislead, in one way or another...

E3: PSP - OB1 - 13th May 2004

That's what I said... Erm

Quote:IGN: What's the battery life for DS?

Perrin Kaplan: Very similar to the SP and I think very different from the PSP. I'm not quite sure why Sony said "Two to 10 hours" [for PSP's battery life]. That must mean that it's two hours.

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/515/515145p1.html

Other interesting parts.

Quote:IGN: What happened to Silicon Knights?

Perrin Kaplan: They are going to continue the business of what they do. We respect the work that they have done. They are a really, really good team. I just think Nintendo and Silicon Knights have slightly different priorities, which does happen in business quite frequently. But we have a lot of mutual respect for each other.

IGN: We just bumped into Denis Dyack, president of Silicon Knights, as he was on his way into a Nintendo meeting. So what kind of plot are you hatching?

Perrin Kaplan: There is nothing that precludes us from having a relationship. I mean, they may make a product for DS or otherwise. But it's just purely as a second-party -- that part of the relationship has changed.

Quote:IGN: What happened to Mario 128?

Perrin Kaplan: Miyamoto continues to work on a variety of different games and I think he's still got that in development, but he's just not ready to present it. He's got his attention on so many things and now with the DS coming he's just going to begin to finalize what he's working on. It has not disappeared, though, I'll just say that.

Quote:IGN: Are you aware of the Reggie-lution?

Perrin Kaplan: I might be part of the Reggie-lution. We have a lot of secret plans as far as the Reggie-lution is concerned. We conspire often. We conspire greatly. And just be careful because the flowers that bud around his feet are toxic.

Quote:IGN: The codename Revolution implies a new way to play games. Can we safely assume that this will be the case?

Perrin Kaplan: I think DS shows a new way to play games. The opportunities for that seem almost endless. Our hope and intent is to create something as unique as DS [with Revolution].

E3: PSP - Great Rumbler - 14th May 2004

Quote:Perrin Kaplan: Very similar to the SP and I think very different from the PSP. I'm not quite sure why Sony said "Two to 10 hours" [for PSP's battery life]. That must mean that it's two hours.

Hahaha! :D

E3: PSP - OB1 - 14th May 2004

She knows as much about the battery life as we do, and it's her job to slam the competition. You shouldn't be at all surprised by that comment.

Of course, I just think it's funny because I was thinking the same thing.

If the battery life of the PSP is 2 hours they're in trouble, although I doubt very much that it will be.

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 14th May 2004

2 hours is evil!

Yes, 2 hours IS evil.

E3: PSP - alien space marine - 14th May 2004

They should offer a preperal , That is a cord that hook up to a power outlet like they have for Gameboy, So you dont have to use batteries 24/7,They could also have a hook up for the cigerette lighter things in cars like some cd players can hook up to it.

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2004

ASM, it likely will have such a thing because it's a rechargable battery... they would be stupid to have to have it off while recharging. And if the battery life is closer to 2 hours than 10, it'd be a welcome feature... :)

E3: PSP - Smoke - 14th May 2004

Glad to hear about the analog stick. That's one thing I think the Nintendo DS is sorely missing. D-pad is just no good for 3D games. But don't take my word for it. From PlanetGameCube:

Quote:[size=2]The D-pad is slightly loose and much taller than the one on GBA SP, and it’s lacking the characteristic depression in the center of the cross. Playing a free-roaming game like Super Mario 64x4 feels stodgy with a digital D-pad, and it makes me wish Nintendo had included a small analog joystick in addition to the digital controls.
He also went on to say how assy the shoulder buttons feel. Not good Nintendo.

But I'm very sad to hear about the PSP's battery life. This is however not unexpected. The way Kaz phrased that leads me to believe he's covering something up as apposed to them just not knowing.
[/size]

E3: PSP - A Black Falcon - 14th May 2004

Yeah. Only someone as determined to not admit he was wrong as OB1 would say that it's anything other than Sony not wanting to admit the truth... okay, so maybe they're also hoping to improve it. But that isn't the whole story.

But the analog stick... yes, a definite mistake on Nintendo's part. I don't know what they were thinking.