Tendo City
Realistic Zelda - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Realistic Zelda (/showthread.php?tid=1907)

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2004

Didn't see these posted in the other threads anyway... (these are from Nintendo's webpage.)

[Image: 754292bf-4965-4191-969e-bfde241e14a3.jpg]
[Image: 8c3bb913-c29f-415b-9d11-9d91b5320805.jpg]
[Image: fb05d3dc-a792-4681-8dbe-d8db5df70d93.jpg]
[Image: c2614fdb-87de-4b59-b0c6-d3e2eac5796b.jpg]
[Image: bd1de4b3-2635-4c6a-b10a-e2c5ffbefee8.jpg]
[Image: f4d8f436-e686-4e7a-b4d2-eb70f207b075.jpg]
[Image: 94f83d5f-a86c-4e98-bd79-b209e14cfce5.jpg]
[Image: b6059bc5-cedc-435a-acd5-81c54cd66b9f.jpg]
[Image: c10dadb1-4e8b-424f-99c0-9bfb350829fd.jpg]
[Image: c63e1ad3-8e41-4de3-8e21-b957db7e1bff.jpg]

Realistic Zelda - Great Rumbler - 11th May 2004

There are actually two OTHER threads about this game. :)

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 11th May 2004

Sure, but they aren't JUST for it and don't have the pics. :)

Realistic Zelda - nickdaddyg - 25th May 2004

hotdamn!

Realistic Zelda - Geno - 26th May 2004

The graphics are impressive, but I'd like to know a thing or two about the gameplay if word has been released yet. After all, what Wind Waker lacked in graphics, it more than made up for in gameplay.

Realistic Zelda - Great Rumbler - 26th May 2004

I don't think they've said too much about the gameplay yet, but I expect it'll be similar to Wind Waker since they reportedly used the same engine.

Realistic Zelda - OB1 - 26th May 2004

Just because it uses a modified version of the WW engine doesn't mean it'll share the same gameplay. OoT used a modified version of the Mario 64 engine, and of course they had very different gameplay.. The controls, models, textures, etc. can be changed. Look at all of those games that use the Unreal engine (Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Rainbow Six...).

BTW Wind Waker was gorgeous and you are dumb if you think otherwise. :p

Realistic Zelda - Great Rumbler - 26th May 2004

Quote:OoT used a modified version of the Mario 64 engine

That true, but Wind Waker and The Legend of Zelda are in the same series and similar in nature. I'm sure they'll be some changes but I don't think it'll be anything major.

I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't any major changes to the controls and interface.

Realistic Zelda - lazyfatbum - 26th May 2004

Are you sure OoT's engine is the Mario 64 engine? I know for a fact that one of the pre builds for OoT was brand new from the ground up and OoT took twice as long to develop compared to Mario 64

Edit: I think they started work on OoT using a lot of the Mario 64 technology but had some difficulties and had to basically create a new engine from scratch. But my point still stands.

I wonder what happened to the pre builds?

There was one Zelda prebuild that had trees everywhere and a huge amount of fog (to keep the frames up), it also showed octorocks on the ground running around and in to bushes while shooting rocks at Link. The Link in that build was squatty and had a square head with button eyes, he litteraly looked like his 8-bit counterpart in 3-D. In another scene he was fighting an Iron Knuckle that was made of glowing metal that reflected yellows and blues. The last scene showed square Link fighting Dodongos (they looked exactly like the 8-bit Dodongos in 3-D, those triceratop looking guys) by laying bombs down in their path which would explode with cool particle effects.

It could be that this build was just to try out different gameplay mechanics with a 3-D Zelda game but it definetly wasn't Mario 64's engine because there were so many things going on that Mario 64's engine couldn't do like environment mapping, fog table (Turok fog) and tons of particle effects. Mario 64 had zero particle effects, generic fog (you can actually see the borders of where the different fog shades end and begin) and zero environment mapping... no wait, I just realized both Metal Mario and the black pool (level enterance) had an environment map of either Mario with Lakitu behind him or just Lakitu.

Man... maybe that prebuild was the same engine as well... that's so awesome

I edited my post before you posted this one, so go read it. :)

That's probably it then.

Mario 64 was probably used a blue print if they got stuck in the game's engine but it most likely was mostly new. That makes more sense.

I know where I got my info from, it was from an old Nintendo power interview. Here's part of it:

Quote:NP: Will you be making other games using the Zelda engine?

Miyamoto: We were using the Super Mario 64 engine for Zelda, but we had to make so many modifications to it that it's a different engine now. What we have now is a very good engine, and I think we can use it for future games if we can come up with a very good concept. It took three or so years to make Zelda, and about half the time was spent on making the engine. We definitely want to make use of this engine again.

In that same interview he talked about the chronology of Zelda, which if still true completely changes all of our Zelda timeline theories.

Quote:NP: Where do all the Zelda games fall into place when arranged chronologically by their stories?

Miyamoto: Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time.

BTW you can find the entire NP interview here.

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 26th May 2004

We've had so many conflicting reports on how the Zelda story goes that I don't know what I can believe... or if anyone really has any idea how it actually works...

Eiji Aunoma does, and he wants it to make more sense. So have patience...

Realistic Zelda - nickdaddyg - 27th May 2004

yeah yeah yeah...gameplay...but still HOTDAMN!

Realistic Zelda - Geno - 27th May 2004

OB1 Wrote:BTW Wind Waker was gorgeous and you are dumb if you think otherwise. :p

To be honest, I actually kinda grew attached to the cel-shading very quickly. It wasn't state of the art graphics like the screenshots in this thread, but it was unique and made Wind Waker even more memorable. And other than that, it still looked kind of cool to sail around in a cartoon world. It was like controlling a chibi anime, sort of.

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 27th May 2004

As many people have said, cel shading is indeed state of the art. It just uses that power in a unique way that many people don't seem to recognize...

Realistic Zelda - lazyfatbum - 28th May 2004

Geno/ The style of cel shading (no black lines) is really difficult to build. The GC is the only system that can do it.

Realistic Zelda - EdenMaster - 30th May 2004

Sure, Wind Waker looks beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.

...But realism kicks the ass of cel-shading across the room.

Realistic Zelda - big guy - 30th May 2004

werd

Realistic Zelda - Geno - 30th May 2004

EdenMaster Wrote:Sure, Wind Waker looks beautiful, absolutely gorgeous.

...But realism kicks the ass of cel-shading across the room.

My point exactly. :D

Realistic Zelda - alien space marine - 31st May 2004

I think cel shading is a dead fad that is fading away.

Realistic Zelda - Great Rumbler - 31st May 2004

Have there even been any cel-shaded games released recently?

Some people like it , But the far majority dont .

Look at Automodelista , It waisnt even close to GT3 or alot of racing games out there ,Its big deal was the cel shading otherwise it would have been just another mediocre racer. Alot of games with cel shading would be completely burned into the ground if they werent cel shaded because then it would be a completely average SO/SO game just like XIII .

Wind Waker is probaily the most sucessful Cel shaded game ,But if it had been the realistic Zelda it would have done even better.I maybe even would have been motivated to getting a gamecube if nintendo had the made the same game they showed in spaceworld 2000.

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 31st May 2004

Wind Waker is a great looking game. The style works really well... my only problem with the graphics is the water. Boring. Now, I'd say that the cartoonish style doesn't immerse me in the world as much as a realistic style does, but it looks great and has a lot of style, so that's okay... I have no complaints. And I think that once most people played WW they realized that the graphics worked.

WW with realistic graphics? It wouldn't be a whole lot better. And it'd be a lot less unique, because there are plenty of realistic-looking games while nothing looks like WW... Plus, that style is perfect for the kind of Zelda it is -- more lighthearted... look at LttP! Extremely cartoonish graphical style!

The problem with the game is difficulty, not graphics.

Realistic Zelda - lazyfatbum - 31st May 2004

I hate it when people say realistic games are better than cartoon games or whatever.

Show me a 'realistic game' and i'll show you a cartoon. The most realistic game to date (as far as visuals) thus far is Doom 3 and it still looks like a 3-D cartoon. A 'dark' anime has the same visual appeal and density of doom 3. RE and SH still look like anime. You guys say you dislike cel shading, but if WW had an adult cel shaded Link then you'd be complaining about the art style which is what cel shading is, a highly defined art style. I dont see anyone complaining about Viewtiful Joe's cel shading which is no where near as beautiful as WW.

Viewtiful Joe is a completely cel shaded game and it looks good but WW makes it look stupid. I mean think about it, the only realistic Zelda games in existence are OoT and MM, you guys want that OoT experience and are begging Nintendo to rehash the art style. Nintendo creates something totally brand new and they get flogged for it. In fact, the only reason i'm really happy about the new Zelda's art direction is because I know sales will go through the roof but in reality i'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed WW.

To me alot of the cel shaded games are like alot of those fancy realistic games out there.They look great but they suck and they still make money because of the graphics.

They put a average or mediocre game and slap Cel shading to it, It will get more attention and perhaps more money then if it stayed with the same visuals as the rest. Look at XIII the mediocre game would have been easily forgotten and ignored if it waisnt cel shaded to stand out.

Wind Waker is the exception , Since it is a Nintendo quality game , but personally I think mario kart double dash or even mario sunshine would have been better cel shaded then Zelda.

Realistic Zelda - A Black Falcon - 31st May 2004

OoT and MM aren't realistic. Realistic is looking like real life. OoT and MM definitely do not, even considering the restrictions of the N64. It's more realistic than WW, but it's not 'realistic', really. I don't know what's the best term...

Realistic Zelda - lazyfatbum - 5th June 2004

"art style"

As I said.

And Viewtiful Joe is cel shaded and it looks viewtiful.

13 wasn't just a cel chaded average FPS it's trying to be a FPS with comic book styling, as in; when you shoot a character they yell "aaaaaahhhhiiiieee!" and the text is actually displayed on screen in a comic book fashion. So are "Kaboom" and "ratatata" etc.

Realistic Zelda - Great Rumbler - 5th June 2004

And the sound of people's shoes on the ground.

Realistic Zelda - Geno - 5th June 2004

OoT and MM are abstract in the third dimension.