Tendo City
Vyse City - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Vyse City (/showthread.php?tid=189)

Vyse City - Laser Link - 2nd February 2003

Very nice Mr. Bossman. Very nice. I like the avatar too.

NOW PEOPLE GO BUY THIS GAME DARN IT!

Vyse City - Italian_Pyro - 2nd February 2003

get me a computer that can run it well or a ps2 and no probleme

Vyse City - Great Rumbler - 2nd February 2003

Grand Theft Airship: Vyse City :D

Vyse City - Laser Link - 2nd February 2003

Itailian_Pyro, I think you are talking about Vice City. I'm talking about Vyse City.

That would be a great game, eh GR? :D

Vyse City - EdenMaster - 2nd February 2003

*sure would enjoy having the slightest clue what you're talking about*

Vyse City - Dark Jaguar - 2nd February 2003

I assume Vyse is the name of the main character? Now I get it! I assumed you got a PS2 from the name of the thread and I was like "LL? He should get Xenosaga!". That comment still stands :D, but now I see that it's an inside joke.

Vyse City - OB1 - 2nd February 2003

Vyse is from Skies.

Vyse City - Italian_Pyro - 2nd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by Laser Link
Itailian_Pyro, I think you are talking about Vice City. I'm talking about Vyse City.

That would be a great game, eh GR? :D

ah I see..I was somewhat hoping it was a typo and I knew something...bah oh wellRolleyes

Nice OB1, not only dide ya say somthing I already figured out, as indicated by the pist above yours, you even misepelled the neme.

Eh, I'm just joshin' ya. Now, let's never say "joshin'" again.

Hey I'm not the only one that makes typos. Just look at your post.

I meant to do that, as a joke!

Vyse City - A Black Falcon - 2nd February 2003

If Vyse is such a good pirate, how are small groups of worthless badguys able to board his ship aproximately every ten seconds? Should'nt he be able to shoot them out of the sky before they get on board?

Vyse City - Weltall - 2nd February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by A Black Falcon
If Vyse is such a good pirate, how are small groups of worthless badguys able to board his ship aproximately every ten seconds? Should'nt he be able to shoot them out of the sky before they get on board?

Actually, what makes me laugh is when you're scootin along in the sky and you get in a battle where you're surprised (i.e. the enemies have first strike and your back is to them.) Do you mean to tell me that Vyse and company see the enemies land on deck, rush out to fight them and are surprised, even though they only ran to the deck because they saw monsters in the first place?

Then again, imagine how irritating it would be to drive a car if you had to leave the wheel, climb onto the hood of your car and do a Cutlass Fury on some flying fish monster approximately every 1000 feet. And despite that, Vyse and his friends always have such a sunny demeanor!:)

It is due to Laser Link and Laser Link alone that the whole of TC even cares about this game. I must say, I know that's why I'm jazzed about it. LL should be Nintendo's new hype machine.

Hey, thats not true... I like the game too... :) (I'm sure you remember... you know, I as surprised how much I liked it for a random battles RPG...)

Well, I've liked it ever since I played it during christmas break... its a very good game... I only wish I could afford it. :(

It is really dumb, though, that there are random battles on the ship. It makes no sense! No decent "pirate" would let anyone board their ship so often! I know its for gameplay... but its dumb... and the random battles get annoying...

It also makes exploring more annoying. I would have explored a hell of a lot more often if it weren't for the fear of constant random battles.

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Jaguar
I meant to do that, as a joke!

You know that I edited your post, right?

Quote: It also makes exploring more annoying. I would have explored a hell of a lot more often if it weren't for the fear of constant random battles.

Definitely. Random battles make me take the quickest path through an area and not explore... I can't take the random battles... they are just far too annoying to make it worth my time to suffer through them to explore places if I don't know where I'm going...

The only real problem is attitude. You actually fear going into battle, maybe because you only were interested in going on that path and finding treasure, not in battling. Instead of fearing "dealing with" battles you didn't want to encounter, you should instead say "if I go out of my way, I can do some more cool battles with enemies" and be more interested in the journey than the destination, or whatever.

You did eh? I just read until the first typo there and took your word for it :D.

Vyse City - OB1 - 3rd February 2003

You didn't fix the other typos. :p

Vyse City - Dark Jaguar - 3rd February 2003

Get a better memory of what you do around here because if you look closely you will see I didn't fix ANY of the typos!

whatever.

Yeah you know it.

Oooh baby I love the way! Everyday!

Vyse City - A Black Falcon - 3rd February 2003

Why in the world would I be HAPPY that I have to be forced to fight more irritating random battles? That makes no sense... random battles are bad and incredibly annoying... and a game has to be REALLY good to even start to make up for forcing them on me. They are so annoying! And its such an easy problem to fix that putting them in any games anymore is just unforgivable... NO RPG from the SNES on should have forced those stupid things on us anymore after games like Chrono Trigger showed how it should be done!

Yeesh, it's just battles.

Its not "just". Its a incredibly annoying "feature" that was never a good idea and now should be banished forever... its so irritating, knowing that you will have to fight random battles. It makes otherwise good games nearly unplayable, IMO... like most any Japanese-style menubased RPG. Maybe you don't mind them, but I (and many others) definitely do...

Vyse City - Great Rumbler - 3rd February 2003

I've never really been bothered by random battles, of course I've been playing games with them for years, so maybe I'm just immune to them...

Hey now, it was one thing when you just said "I think they all suck" but now you are putting it as in I must be a moron not to see how unfun the whole thing is.

Really, the only reason I can possibly see them as being annoying is if you didn't want to fight any monsters. If you didnt' want to, why are you even playing the RPG? Do you really rush through dungeons avoiding all combat except boss battles or something? If you don't mind going into battles, then what's the problem? So what if you didn't have a choice but to go into battle? It's the same thing as running into an enemy in something like CT, only it's random instead of pre-set.

My point is, the only problem is if you don't enjoy the battle system in the game. If you do like the battle system, then instead of wandering in fear of getting in a fight, wander with no cares about it at all. Be excited that you have another chance to smash a monster or level up or steal something.

I don't hate that battle system... I just find menubased combat is generally boring. Its not awful... its just kind of dull. More so in some games than others... and the way they have random battles is just extremely annoying. I hate having to fight randomly... it is just extremely irritating. I don't like the battles all that much, usually... its good that they are usually over fast because they aren't particularly interesting. Some games do a better job than others at making it fun (I don't know exactly why...)

I don't mind fighting monsters. I would prefer a better and more fun battle system, though... either a action-oriented one like a actionish RPG (Zelda, Mana, etc) or one more like PC RPGs (that's a VERY broad category there, but what they have in common is they are never menubased... always either turnbased or realtime... like the Infinity Engine, or Fallout, or Wizardry... each very different but fun... the battles are fun. Combat in menubased games often just isn't that fun... a few games are, but the vast majority aren't that great. And random combat multiplies the frusteration several times at least...

I dunno, from what I've played of PC style RPGs, I have to say that I find that battle system VERY dull. In general it's just a "who can click on the enemy until it's dead the fastest" thing. Now maybe I just haven't played the right ones, but it's just very dull to just find an enemy, click on it over and over again, and find some more, just to click on them over and over again until they stop moving. When you finally get magic, it adds something, but not much. Then the only added element is "walk over there to cast a cure or status spell, then go back and click until it's dead again". As such, I'm not a fan of those types of RPGs. I just don't see any skill involved.

Um, you're talking about Diablo. Or Diablo-Clones. I am talking about Wizardry, Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Arx Fatalis, or any of the dozens and dozens of more standard (ie not action-RPGish) PC RPGs... Morrowind probably qualifies too... that's one of the few of them that made it to consoles too. If you haven't played any non-action type (I don't call Diablo a Action-RPG, exactly, but it is definitely a more actionish RPG than normal ones) PC RPG, you wouldn't know... but judging PC RPGs on Diablo would be like playing Secret of Mana and saying all console RPGs are just like that game...

Of course there's also the fact that those PC RPG's I mentioned really have VERY little in common as far as battles go. In the topdown ones like Diablo its click-click-click (I, BTW, find Diablo 2 very fun), while Baldur's Gate / Planescape Torment are pausable realtime (you pause, give your guys orders, then unpause and they do it... you have up to 6 guys so you can't control them well in realtime)... to Fallout with its turn-based only system, and then there's first person ones like Arx Fatalis, Morrowind, and Wizardry with variations of realtime and turnbased combat... Not similar at all, except that all of those games don't have seperate "battle modes" -- you always fight in the real map. Other than that they don't have that much in common, really...

Planetscape Torment is something I've been vaguely interested in for a while now, with that said I'm all the more interested in it.

Your analogy of SOM is kinda close, except that Secret of Mana doesn't suck :D.

I love Secret of Mana.

Vyse City - Great Rumbler - 3rd February 2003

Legend of Mana was a pretty good game, becuase there is no cow! The cow is only in my mind!!*

*Inside joke

My analogy was good because all of the games I mentioned are very good games... :)

So I liked Diablo II... it was fun. Simple, but fun... I got bored with it really fast after beating it the first time (in a little over a week), but still it was a good game... As good as some other RPGs? Probably not... but still a good game.

Planescape: Torment? If you like games with LOTS and LOTS of reading and text (and thus with a deep story), get it... but if you like lots of great combat (as well as a perfectly decent story), don't and get Baldur's Gate or Baldur's Gate 2. Or Icewind Dale 1 or 2, if you don't like story either, but like the Infinity Engine's battle system (the game engine all 5 of these games use)... :)
Torment is definitelyheavy on the text... which is why most of the people I've heard who disliked it dislike it. I loved it though... IMO its one of the best RPG's I've ever played.

The only problem? None of the Infinity Engine games have free playable demos I know of... annoying.