Tendo City
Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Ramble City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry (/showthread.php?tid=186)

Pages: 1 2

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Fittisize - 4th February 2003

Ah. I see. That should help.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - He Who Annoys All - 5th February 2003

They should have had the Canadarm on board the ship, but I think they decided to take more experements up insted. I saw somewhere that the mission was devoted only to the experements. It was to involve no spacewalks or stop-overs at the ISS. However, if they had felt there was a problem, 2 of the men onboard (Anderson and Brown, i think) could have done an emergancy spacewalk to examin the wing. They had all their equipment and everything, but NASA felt the foam wouldn't pose a problem. And even if they had made the spacewalk and found damage, they'd still be screwed over. There is no current way to repair the tiles once the shuttle is in orbit. They had three chances of survival on this mission. The first would have required the dessision that the foam hitting the wing was a problem to come within 80 seconds. They could have bailed and landed...somewhere(I can't remember).They would have 2 minutes after that to do pretty much the same thing. If they had decided they couldn't survive re-entry once they were in orbit, there was a chance they could send up another shutle(Atlantis, to be specific) to rescue them. But none of these things happened, and that can't be changed now.

I got some of my information from my home page http://dellnet.msn.com/ , if any of you are interested in learning more. Its all in there but it may take awhile to find.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Dark Lord Neo - 6th February 2003

Quote:Originally posted by He Who Annoys All
They should have had the Canadarm on board the ship, but I think they decided to take more experements up insted. I saw somewhere that the mission was devoted only to the experements. It was to involve no spacewalks or stop-overs at the ISS. However, if they had felt there was a problem, 2 of the men onboard (Anderson and Brown, i think) could have done an emergancy spacewalk to examin the wing. They had all their equipment and everything, but NASA felt the foam wouldn't pose a problem. And even if they had made the spacewalk and found damage, they'd still be screwed over. There is no current way to repair the tiles once the shuttle is in orbit. They had three chances of survival on this mission. The first would have required the dessision that the foam hitting the wing was a problem to come within 80 seconds. They could have bailed and landed...somewhere(I can't remember).They would have 2 minutes after that to do pretty much the same thing. If they had decided they couldn't survive re-entry once they were in orbit, there was a chance they could send up another shutle(Atlantis, to be specific) to rescue them. But none of these things happened, and that can't be changed now.

I got some of my information from my home page http://dellnet.msn.com/ , if any of you are interested in learning more. Its all in there but it may take awhile to find.

Why would the Canada arm be on the flight? It would be a waste of resources. The Canada arm can't be used for fixing the shuttle itself anyways. This was a research mission. NASA also said that they didn't have any tools on board because even if they had tools the only ones they would have had would have been for in the even of a cargo bay malfunction, and they weren't going to be opening the cargo bar doors

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Darunia - 6th February 2003

I read that in no scenario did they have enough fuel to reach the ISS, as it was in a different orbit. And even if they could've, the Columbia didn't have a compatible docking set up, so it couldn't have docked. And repairing the shuttle would've been all but impossible due to lack of jetpacks and/or some way of tethering to the shuttle...and further more, they had no way to repair a broken tile anyway. Seems like they were doomed since they took off.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Dark Jaguar - 9th February 2003

I've been hearing some VERY sickening stuff about people actually accusing President Bush of knowing that the shuttle was flawed but allowing it to take off because it's disaster would boost his popularity. The monumental stupidity of that statement is obserd. Why WHY would Bush be getting briefed on all shuttle problems found? Why would NASA have to check with the president before being allowed to work on any flaws they themselves discovered? This alone is enough to mean that it could never happen, so I really don't have to go on about the other illogicals of this, but I will anyway. How could they know that whatever flaw would occur on landing and would certainly guarentee a horrible crash? Here's a final thing to ponder. How on Earth would Bush know this would be something all of America would care about? After all, a few train wrecks and shipwrecks happened before then, but they didn't pop onto the radar. This did, and I suspect the only reason is because the people are fickle and any of the incidents could have been the one that "caught". Finally, if this was prooven to be so, Bush would be impeached as a traitor and possibly put to death before a firing squad. Certainly not worth the risk.

Now then, all that in mind, the first bit of logic alone is plenty enough to point out exactly how stupid this is. Anyway, it's just as horrible as the rumors that Bush knew 9/11 was going to occur but allowed it anyway. It's just nonsense, and sickening nonsense that detracts from the reality of this tragedy at that.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - A Black Falcon - 10th February 2003

Rumors like that are stupid... reminds me of all the people who said that Roosevelt knew about Pearl Harbor and let it happen...

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - He Who Annoys All - 10th February 2003

The govrnment does have a huge influence on NASA wether or not you lot wanna belive it. One prime example: Challenger. The launch never should have taken place but NASA was under pressure from others (such as the president) to launch, so they did even though it was WAY too cold for safe launch. It also happened once in Russia. The government wanted a launch on their May Day holiday, so they sent a cosmonaught up in a craft that had a history of problems(3 unmaned missions, 3 disasters). Saying the government doesn't influence the space program is a pile of crap.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Dark Jaguar - 10th February 2003

I never said that. I said that the idea that ALL errors are reported to the President is simply ridiculous. Even if they were all reported DIRECTLY to him, why would they WAIT to repair the error until they got confirmation? Such a method of running NASA is just nuts.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - lazyfatbum - 10th February 2003

But that's true... we did know about the attack. That's why we had Japanese leaders meeting with American ones in the white house right before and during the attack.

Anyway, about the "children in Africa" thing:

These people dont work, dont want to move, and basically dont care. They have kids and watch them die simply because they get women pregnant and leave them. Most African cultures are dirt poor and are extremely different from anything we know. Dont tell me I need to worry about thousands of people dying when the sole responsibility lies within the people and government of that country. They are not forced to live poor or go hungry, they are not forced to give birth. They wont move to places that are cleaner or have jobs (such as the countless U.K. and USA orfanages, camps and churches who will take anyone in over there) or just simply move to where they can grow their own foods. They stay because of religous reasons and the much more vague "adaptive" reasons. They just dont think about moving.

Africa sells, trades and purchases human slaves of all ages, who are treated as property today. They are sold for work, sex or both. Do the people of ANY OTHER NATION who protest ALL FORMS of slavery say ANYTHING about that? Not a word, and the only people who want to feed the "starving children of Africa" are Christian endorced world wide honey pots of which ALL OF THEM pocket money from the so-called donations and sponsors. If you want me to care for the starving children of Africa, or India, or China, then show me a government that cares for them OR treats them unfairly, and I will show you a helping hand.

Besides, there are more babies (birth to 2 yrs) being killed in China than the entire accumulated total of world deaths annually. Why doesn't anyone care? Because it's the PARENTS that are KILLING them! Dont feel sorry for other peoples, it's their country - their lives. Now if that government has a direct hand in those killings, I would demand justice. But as it is: It's an uncomfortable statistic. And that's all it will ever be.

Dont confuse men and women who died serving a noble cause with statistics from 3rd world countries who emulate western ideals when it's convienent.

I know I sound harsh and it urks me that I have reached such grim realizations, but I have made it a point never to collaborate another country's ways in to my own beliefs.

btw Geoboy, you can tell your friends at school to suck a dick. If it wasn't for the Space Race of the 60's and the construction of NASA we'd probably be reading our posts here in Russian dialects.... or German... or Japanese. The Space Race was thought of as a gold ruch; whoever gets there first gets the gold. In this case the gold was highly strategic military installations and a network array of sattelites that has saved our asses time and time again from occuring wars and potential threats. Not to mention all of the breakthroughs in different medicines, physics, technology, production, and your basic understanding of the universe itself. :D

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Laser Link - 10th February 2003

So you're saying that since their parents don't care, we shouldn't either? That's ridiculous. As human beings we should always do everything we can to help those who don't have what we have. I highly doubt any of us have ever really been hungry. Our biggest needs are upgraded RAM and videogames. I'm not saying that we should destroy every good thing that makes us happy and live in poverty either. That's more like Buddhist thinking. What I am saying is that we should all do what little we can to make life better for others.

Now here is where your cynical side starts yelling at me to shut up and join the real world. You see the homeless guy on the street corner asking for money. You think he's just gonna blow it on alcohol anyway, so why bother. He could get a job if he wanted to. He's just a slacker. Maybe, I know there are people like that. And you know what? There are also real people who are hungry. Who can't just go get a job. How can we tell the difference? Most of the time you can't. So maybe you should help them out when you can. It's up to them what to do with it, not you. You've done as much as you can. Think about it.

Yes, these organizations such as Compassion International and World Vision who do child sponsorhips and the feeding programs do not use all the money for that. They do have rent for buildings and employees to pay and whatever other bills a company has. But they don't blow it on multi-million dollar houses. And I've never heard of one of these that says "every single penny goes to helping people". Oh, believe me I know of places that pretty much lay a guilt trip on you then swindle everything they can and take off with it, but it's wrong to think they are all like that. Some of these places actually just care about helping those less fortunate than themselves. They give their entire life to helping people. [sarcasm]It's a strange concept, I know.[/sarcasm]

I guess you are frustrated that the governments don't care about their people. It makes me angry too. But instead of giving up on them we need to try that much harder to make a difference. It's our responsibility. Most of these people are so hopeless, they don't know any better. But we do. As screwed up as this country is, we did get a lot of things right. And we have recieved the benefits of that for a long time. We need to do what we can, even if it ultimately doesn't make any difference. But it will. Even if we only help one person. I'm sure I sound like a naive little kid, but I'm not. I've been to third world countries and seen these people. And you know, at the time I couldn't handle it. I couldn't relate and I didn't want to be there. But now I'm glad I did go, because I know how blessed I am and I want to do what I can to bless others. Don't be so cynical- the world is a screwed up place thanks to us, but don't give up. There's always hope. Thanks to God.

Space shuttle Columbia dissinegrates on re-entry - Dark Jaguar - 12th February 2003

Thank you LL! I know I make some incredibly cynical comments myself, but to be honest just giving up and saying "all I can do is help myself" is exactly what everyone on the whole planet is doing, so you are not helping by thinking like that! (That was exxageration to make my point, which is that the attitude of self-serving, regardless of whatever logic fuels it, is exactly the attitude that makes the world as bad as you think it is.) There's nothing wrong with helping people, even if they take advantage of it. You aren't doing this for yourself after all, you do it for them. Getting angry at the results is ego telling you that you should somehow be rewarded for it. Do some things here and there, "pass it forward", and occasionally teach a British person how to floss. That's really all you can do.