Tendo City
Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review (/showthread.php?tid=1853)

Pages: 1 2 3

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 24th April 2004

Quote:(1) Bakataru Kato

"The day timer of the Pikmin-1 is gone. Now you can take your time and relax with any amount of time, even if you are only a "weekend gamer". The purple and white Pikmin are interesting to use in the underground dungeons, those battles are faster and more exciting than Pikmin-1. But I wish there were more options available for vs. battles to make if more fun."

Score: 9

(2) Kyashi Arashiyama

"Compared to Pikmin-1 the pace has been softened (ie. no timer). Because of this the game field feels like it has been expanded.This version has you spliting up your pikmin in a more efficient manner, and making them doing many different jobs at the same time (more multi-tasking). The underground world has alot of exploration that helps the battle vs. mode have a long replay value."

(3) Yoshike Maria

"The methods to defeat enemies and clear barriers has been increased, making the game more enjoyable. Also 2 player vs. mode is fast , furious and exciting. The course are abundant but it would be even more fun if more rules were available (there is only 1 rule option). "

(4) Daida Kaigawa

"Pikmin 2 has the same appearance and atmosphere as the last one, also a heartwarming story and touch. It is great in the fact that you will become gradually exposed to the wonder and mystery of the world. It feels like taking a walk with a group of pre-schoolers though a dangerous forest."

Two new pikmin colors and abilities used to collect treasure.
Purple Pikmin are heavy and strong. White Pikmin are poisonous.
2 player game has vs. and co-opt play.

Famitsu Gives Pikmin 2
9, 9, 9, 9

Not too shabby.

I'm glad that they got rid of the timer, because, honestly, I didn't really like it.

Cube-Europe

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 24th April 2004

Taking a walk with pre-schoolers through a dangerous forest? Is this some part of Japanese culture I'm not aware of?

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 24th April 2004

Yay and fuck.

The timer made it interesting. 'How many parts can you get in one day?'

Oh well, it would seem that each area of the planet has inner-space as well, like an insect hive with multiple layers and caverns or a hollow tree. Good stuff, I want to see rival Pikmin bases trying to overtake yours in one player or atleast some kind of enemy that sets traps... or something. Who knows, i'm drunk. I bet DJ is a really ugly woman.

Oh just for shits, let's make this the countdown to Pikmin 2 thread as well. You can never start too early, unless we're talking about sex with children. But even then... you know. ABF knows what i'm talking about.

Spellcheck is awesome when the keyboard wont stop moving around. Look at me, i'm i'm coherent! :kiss:

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 25th April 2004

I'm sure they've added stuff to make the game more challenging.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - A Black Falcon - 25th April 2004

The timer was evil. Removing it will make the game more fun. Oh, it'll likely lower the difficulty level, but timed games... just not nice. And they can add other things to keep it challenging, and make it longer too... and, hopefully, more strategic? I want more strategy! :)

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 25th April 2004

Quote:The timer was evil.

Yes, it was. I always hated those parts in RPGs where you had a certain amount of time to do something. Unnecessary stress, IMO.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 25th April 2004

lmao i'm so glad you guys aren't game developers.

GR: well, I made this game with the idea of being completely boring and produce absolutely no stress

ABF: I agree and I made a game as well where you play as a stat.

Reporter: You mean gain stats?

ABF: no you play as a number that is a variable based on other numbers around it. And you play it with your nose because controls dont really matter in a video game.

GR: In the very last level of my game you find a stick and it does nothing. This "Do Nothing Stick" is needed to defeat the end boss, the Average King of Neutrality who has no attacks and is easily defeated with the Do Nothing Stick by doing nothing directly in his head, which is the largest part of his entire body. I mean, what would I want to do? Make the game have a challenge? Come on, i'm also an excellent joke teller.

*shudders*

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Weltall - 25th April 2004

Pikmin would have been way too easy without a timer. I mean, it'd be like the only challenge would be 'can you stay interested long enough to finish the game'?

Maybe it should be an option, though. That way, everyone's happy. And it gives bragging rights to the people who aren't too pussy to play under a time limit. :)

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 25th April 2004

How could pikmin be MORE strategic? do you want the pikmin to have armor and weapons??

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Weltall - 25th April 2004

Yes. And nudity.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 25th April 2004

GR, you hated the time limits in RPGs, like having to escape from the floating continent in 5 minutes? You ARE NOT A GAMER! That is all.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - A Black Falcon - 26th April 2004

I like challenge in games! I just don't like timed things... that kind of challenge is not nice. I'd far rather have a game design that allows for more challenge, not time limits...

As for strategy, Pikmin is a strategy game with a minimum of strategy. Strategy games are my favorite genre. Can you connect the dots there? :)

I would like it with no time limit and more complex. Add challenge, certainly, but not with timers.

Actually, more than just the existance of a timer is that it's the WHOLE GAME. If it's one timed mission or something (like the 'survival' levels in WC/SC? Or timed quests in RPGs...), I can cope, but the whole game? That's too much. I like to take my time in games and that doesn't allow it.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - OB1 - 26th April 2004

I like time limits in some games, but in others where the world just wants to be explored (like Pikmin), the time limit can hurt it. Miyamoto knows a thing or two about game design, so I think he might be able to keep Pikmin 2 challenging even without a timer. :p

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 26th April 2004

No shit. But the whole idea of getting back to your ship before sundown was a staple of gameplay that made everything a hell of alot more interesting. I suppose you can accomplish the same ideal by just blocking the player's progress unless they return with a special item or something and build some kind of level-to-level structure but that would suck. Take out Pikmin and use the PAR code to stop the timer and then go play it. You can get all the ship parts in like 6 trips and it's the most boring game in the world. Imagine what Zelda: MM would be like without the 3 day countdown scenario.

Timers make a game much more fun. And with a timer you dont have to block progress, you can tell the gameplayer 'go where ever you want, do whatever you want to do, just do it within this time' instead of 'go here, complete this task, wait for next level to load, repeat'. That staple works fine in alot of games, but not in a game where exploring is so important to the fabric of the game. Exploring in Zelda is just for fun (asaide from looking for dungeons), find some rupees or a fairy altar, etc.

But in Pikmin, you would explore to find the next ship part and what path to take for the safest route for your pikmin and what work would have to be done to get that safe route; By setting a time limit you're letting the player decide what ship part to go after: You can get this one by fighting a boss, or here's three in a row. The one for the boss requires you to bomb this wall and use specific color pikmin and use many of them to take the boss down. The three in a row require you to move through dangerous territory (eg: use red or yellow pikmin around water hazards or blue or yellow pikmin around fire) and animals that usually require atleast 50 pikmin to take down quickly.

OR just go for one part and make it more simple, the degree of difficulty was up to the player's ability to take chances and the player would decide what chance to take based on that timer! The timer is everything in Pikmin. Pikmin 2 will no doubt be alot of fun, but it wont have that anxiety and that high you get when you *just* made it before night or how awesome it would feel seeing groups of pikmin returning to the camp bringing back 2 or 3 ship parts and all the spoils of the day right when the 10 second countdown starts because you, the gameplayer, made wise decisions and made good use of time.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - OB1 - 26th April 2004

Majora's Mask without the 3-day time limit would be Ocarina of Time. Yes, the way MM was designed would not work without a 3-day time limit. However, every other Zelda game shows that a time limit is not necessary for Zelda. It works for MM because the gameplay was built around that concept. The same goes for Pikmin, and naturally Pikmin 2 was designed with no time limit in mind, so the game will play differently. Now if Pikmin 2 were just more levels of Pikmin 1 sans the time limit, it most likely wouldn't be as fun as the first game. Thankfully that is not the case, and I'm eager to see how the game plays. EAD is a great developer and Pikmin 2 is one of the few games that Miyamoto is acting as more than just a supervisor on, so I'm sure it won't be a dissapointment.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 26th April 2004

Quote:GR, you hated the time limits in RPGs, like having to escape from the floating continent in 5 minutes? You ARE NOT A GAMER! That is all.

No, those parts are lame! You know I'm right!!

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 26th April 2004

MM without the 3 day time limit would be OoT? You do... you do have a brain right? I mean I dont want to put you on the spot or anything... and... you know, embaress you.... I just... I just need to ask because... well, I thought you had to have a brain in order to be considered a COMPLETELY IGNORANT DUMBASS.

If you dont... you know... have a brain... then I aplogize. And you should really.... really go to a doctor. Like right now.

:poop:

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2004

I LOVED that anxiety!

Super Mario... Hmm... Until Super Mario World 2, all the Mario games except SMB2 had timers, yet I never felt like they prevented me from exploring, just made me explore knowing there's a threat looming when I do so. SMBDX, if they decided to toss out the timer during the level challenges, would have sucked.

Anyway, Pikmin 2 designed without a timer will likely be very good. However, you claim the timer makes the game suck, so we attack you there, you subject changer!

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - OB1 - 27th April 2004

Quote:MM without the 3 day time limit would be OoT? You do... you do have a brain right? I mean I dont want to put you on the spot or anything... and... you know, embaress you.... I just... I just need to ask because... well, I thought you had to have a brain in order to be considered a COMPLETELY IGNORANT DUMBASS.

If you dont... you know... have a brain... then I aplogize. And you should really.... really go to a doctor. Like right now.

Yes idiot, MM without a time limit would be just like OoT or any other Zelda game. They designed the gameplay of MM around the whole time limit aspect, and if they took that out and designed the game without the time limit in mind, it would be just like every other fucking Zelda game Nintendo has ever made! THAT is my point, Einstein. Pikmin 1 was designed WITH a time limit in mind, while Pikmin 2 WAS NOT. So the gameplay will no longer revolve around a time limit, and will instead challenge you in different ways.

Quote:Super Mario... Hmm... Until Super Mario World 2, all the Mario games except SMB2 had timers, yet I never felt like they prevented me from exploring, just made me explore knowing there's a threat looming when I do so. SMBDX, if they decided to toss out the timer during the level challenges, would have sucked.

There is very little possible exploring to do in most of the 2D Mario games, and the ones where the timer is an actual threat (SMB1, DX) there is pretty much zero need for exploration. Now try putting a timer in Mario 64 and see what happens. Yes, there's a reason why it's not there, DJ.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - A Black Falcon - 27th April 2004

Quote:There is very little possible exploring to do in most of the 2D Mario games, and the ones where the timer is an actual threat (SMB1, DX) there is pretty much zero need for exploration. Now try putting a timer in Mario 64 and see what happens. Yes, there's a reason why it's not there, DJ.

Plus the timers are seperate for each level. That supports what I said -- timers that are just for a part are much, much more okay in my book than one for the whole game time. Big, big difference.

Yes idiot, MM without a time limit would be just like OoT or any other Zelda game. They designed the gameplay of MM around the whole time limit aspect, and if they took that out and designed the game without the time limit in mind, it would be just like every other fucking Zelda game Nintendo has ever made! THAT is my point, Einstein. Pikmin 1 was designed WITH a time limit in mind, while Pikmin 2 WAS NOT. So the gameplay will no longer revolve around a time limit, and will instead challenge you in different ways.[/QUOTE]

It'd be possible but it'd also be a very different Majora's Mask... how would you do it? I mean, characters appear and dissapear based on time. Have it cycle, them repeating the same things every three days? Have it be switches or something, where doing something will trigger someone appearing (that could get very annoying if not clear)? Have them just all be there all the time? That'd lower the challenge quite a lot (as opposed to no timelimit for exploring, which would make the game many times more fun)... As I've said before, my biggest problem with MM isn't the frusteration of the save system or even the 3 days, it's how that 3 days thing keeps you from actually having much fun as you play! I have to spend all my time focused on the task, not just wandering around enjoying myself like in any other Zelda game... for Zelda it just plain doesn't work as well.

As for Pikmin, as I said, they just need to increase the game complexity. Include timed challenges, but don't have an overall time limit. Oh, and being able to save in more than one slot would be VERY nice... and greatly appreciated. That's just about the only strategy game I've seen with just one save slot per game...

Just more proof that it isn't much of a strategy game. It's more action/puzzle really, and the puzzles are really simple -- get pikmin to move objects. Using their various abilities. Oh, sure, simplicity can be good... but darnit I love strategic depth!

No no, you don't get it. Majora's Mask without a time limit would not play like Majora's Mask. It would play like all of the other Zelda games that do not have time limits. The point I was making is that you can still have a great Zelda game without a time limit, you'd just have to change a lot of the gameplay. I'm sure that's what EAD did with Pikmin 2.

Quote:No no, you don't get it. Majora's Mask without a time limit would not play like Majora's Mask. It would play like all of the other Zelda games that do not have time limits. The point I was making is that you can still have a great Zelda game without a time limit, you'd just have to change a lot of the gameplay. I'm sure that's what EAD did with Pikmin 2.

Oh, I got that point... I was just wondering how it would work. Assuming the game was still MM, how could it be done so that the game was still fun (and somewhat unique at least)...

It would be like OoT or any other Zelda game. The time limit is what made it unique, I was just saying that without a time limit it would still be good, though of course they'd have to change the core gameplay.

Yes, I know, I know... and I was wondering how that could be done...

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2004

Quote:However, you claim the timer makes the game suck, so we attack you there, you subject changer!

I never said Pikmin sucked because it had a timer! I said the parts in RPGs where you are timed is lame! Pikmin was fun, I just disliked having a constant timer.

I really don't want to have to restart a game if I take too long...

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 27th April 2004

Exactly.

MM wasn't quite that bad, but I really didn't like the idea of essentially having to restart some quite lengthy segments, such as, oh, DUNGEONS, if I took too long... and it just leaves no time for exploring.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 27th April 2004

The only mario games without a timer are Mario 64 and Sunshine.

MM without the timer would be a horrible and confusing game with no point. Yes... if you changed the entire game... it could be like whatever game you want it to. But it's Majora's Mask, built on the 3 day element, without it... it's nothing. It's shit on a stick. If you rebuild it, yes it could be like OoT. But it could also be like Parappa the Rapper if you're rebuilding the entire core of the game.

And also i'd like to take this to say:

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 27th April 2004

Looks like a timer to me. What do you think, Shiggy?

:shiggy2:

"Hua! OB1 have penis smaller than ant forehead, very good laugh! hau hau hau!"

Quote:Looks like a timer to me. What do you think, Shiggy?

Pikmin 2 is not timed like Pikmin 1 is, genius.

Quote:The only mario games without a timer are Mario 64 and Sunshine.

MM without the timer would be a horrible and confusing game with no point. Yes... if you changed the entire game... it could be like whatever game you want it to. But it's Majora's Mask, built on the 3 day element, without it... it's nothing. It's shit on a stick. If you rebuild it, yes it could be like OoT. But it could also be like Parappa the Rapper if you're rebuilding the entire core of the game.

Yes, and that is my point. You're acting as if they cannot make a Pikmin game without a time limit, which is obviously false since Pikmin 2 has no time limit and it's been getting great reviews so far. The fact that you cannot even fathom Pikmin without a time limit shows how limited your imagination is.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 27th April 2004

Let's do the dance of LIFE! You are SUFFOCATING GR!

You are racing to save the children from the burning house, Sabin can only hold it up so long! YOU MUST SAVE THE CHILD AND ESCAPE BEFORE THE HOUSE BURNS DOWN! CAN YOU DO IT?! (Also, rob the place blind using any extra time you have, well... that family won't be using it anyway so why not? :D)

You just set up the bomb to blow up the reactor, time to get out before the bomb explodes! Why wasn't it a remote bomb rather than timed? WHO KNOWS?! Budget cuts? Just GET MOVING and kill things and consider whether or not you have enough time to save your partners or not! DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Kefka's shown his true insanity! He is messing with the alignment of magical energy itself! The entire planet is reshaping catastrophically and that floating continent won't last long up there! GET OUT OF THERE! Oh no! A boss! Better throw EVERYTHING YOU CAN at it so you can get to the end! The ground is COLLAPSING! Hurry! Oh yes, sprint shoes! Go on, get through (and nab that elixer). Oh wait, we forgot SHADOW! Wait? Stay? Only 10 seconds left! If he doesn't show up soon... He did! Yes!

Okay, after playing through those segments again the second and after time, you know what you are doing and what will occur if you do this or that, BUT, you can't tell me you didn't feel the THRILL and exileration of it all. If you can, you have no SOUL and I wonder how you even ENJOY games GR!

OB1, of course they could make a totally different game without one and might make it work, but who cares? lazy is in attack mode over you not liking the timer right now! TAKE the hit!

<EMBED src="" hidden=true type=audio/midi Autostart="true" LOOP="true" TheUnforgiven.mid sounds files darkjaguar.homestead.com http:>
<EMBED src=http://darkjaguar.homestead.com/files/sounds/TheUnforgiven.mid Autostart=true HIDDEN=true LOOP=true>
<EMB src="http://darkjaguar.homestead.com/files/sounds/TheUnforgiven.mid">

Famitsu gave Pikmin 2 9/9/9/9, right? I think that means that there's at least SOME value to it... :)

And Lazy, about timers you continue to completely miss my point.

The timer in Pikmin worked, but it could have been a better game without the time limit. Pikmin 2 will surely prove that.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 28th April 2004

but Pikmin 2 DOES have a timer! you still have to get to the ship before the sun goes down! You have more than 30 days, maybe infinite days, but you still have to work while the sun is out!

And now i'm typing really fast because of this awesome MIDI action!

MIDI ACTION SUSPENSE DRAMA HORROR
<marquee>RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN!</marquee>

It needs lyrics! Here we go!

Ohhhh my GOD it's ACTION MIDI! RIGHT NOW!
Yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes oh yes! RUN!

Where
is
the
bomb
its
going
to

explode!

oh
man
I
hope
we
can
escape
before
we

DIE!

Two men sword fighting: *stab!* fortwidth I claim this land in the name of Algeria! *THRUST* nay, for you see I have already claimed it in the name of ACTION! *swipe!* damn the torpedos! *robust!* send your resume's to MONSTER DOT COM! *english!* I CAN INVENT NEW AND IMPROPER METHODS OF CHILD REARING! *oyster?* I AM THE LIZARD KING!!!!!!1 *small funny hat!!!*

AUTOMATIC RIFLE AMMO!!!! CHU-TUNK! TATATATATATATATAATATATATATATATATAATATA!

Skinny man holding a knife: *falls down*

YOU
CANT
GET
PAST
MY
TRAPS
WHICH
I'VE
MADE
PRIOR TO YOUR ENTRY!

OH NO! OH NO! OH YES!

IF
YOU
GET
PAST
MY TRAPS
THEN
I
WILL
MAKE
YOU
FIGHT - A
BOSS

OH NO!

YEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

MAYBE!!!!

USE YOUR POWERUPS IF YOU HAVE THEM

STOCK UP ON AMMO FOR YOUR GUNS!

HEALTH IS A RARITY BECAUSE YOU'RE PLAYING ON VERY HARD (WITHOUT A GAME SHARK!)

DEATH AND DIE AND DIE WITH DEATH AND GUNS A-BLAZING, EXTRA DEAD! YOU'LL GET SHOT ALOT OF TIMES BUT YOU'LL COME BACK BECAUSE YOU

CAN

CONTINUE

3 MORE TIMES!!!!!!

WOOOO!

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - OB1 - 28th April 2004

Did you not read those Famitsu reviews? They said that there's no time limit in the game and that you can take as much time as you need to explore. If you do have to go back to your ship before nightfall, we don't know how long a day lasts and it's obviously not something that keeps you from exploring at your own pace.

Yes I did. They probably meant that you have an infinite amount of days to explore but you must finish your work each day before nightfall.

The time limit is still there.

I am very happy.

and you look dumb.

yinyap yinyap yinyap *humps you senseless*

They made it clear that there is no more time limit in the game so I don't know why you still refuse to accept the truth. The pace of the game has completely changed, as have the goals and a lot of the core gameplay.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 28th April 2004

Wether or not you have to be inside the ship at night doesn't really matter since you still have as many days as you want to explore.

The time limit of the per-day game mechanic is what I was worried about. Not the 30 day limit. The game must have the morning to night game mechanic in order to help the game player pace themselves and decide what to do for that day. That mechanic is still in the game, you can find many screen shots where it shows you the timer. However, there is no day-counter, which leads me to believe that the number of days no longer matters. The day to night timer also seems to disappear when you enter a cave or something like it. Just like in Zelda how outside the time of day changes until you enter a town or dungeon where time stops.

But the core gameplay will still revolve around getting your work done within the time between morning to night.

The fact that you no longer have to worry about getting things done in time drastically changes the game. You are free to explore the world of Pikmin at your leisure, and it's still not clear whether or not you actually have to get to your ship at a certain time, and what the consequences would be for not making it home by curfew.

Yes, not having the 30 day limit helps to give the player more time in their mind to explore. Though 30 days means you can visit any destination up to 30 times which should allow for decent exploration in the first place. But what I originally brought up is that the day to night timer was and is a very important staple to the game mechanics, and i'm very happy that it's still there.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 28th April 2004

Indeed. Me too. OB1, remember that this was never lazy's argument though, so don't claim to have "won".

lazy Wrote:Yes, not having the 30 day limit helps to give the player more time in their mind to explore. Though 30 days means you can visit any destination up to 30 times which should allow for decent exploration in the first place. But what I originally brought up is that the day to night timer was and is a very important staple to the game mechanics, and i'm very happy that it's still there.

"in their mind"? What on earth does that mean? And again, you don't know if the day/night timer is still there, or if it works the same way as before.

DJ Wrote:Indeed. Me too. OB1, remember that this was never lazy's argument though, so don't claim to have "won".

His argument was that the game could not be as good without the time limit. Don't try to do your usual thing and change it when you know you've lost, DJ.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Dark Jaguar - 28th April 2004

It's not what he says, it's what he MEANS, and that's what he meant! No one here was ever talking about the 30 day timer.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - Great Rumbler - 28th April 2004

I was.

Quote:It's not what he says, it's what he MEANS, and that's what he meant! No one here was ever talking about the 30 day timer.

Oh please. Both of you said that the sense of urgency because of the timer made the game fun. Pikmin 2 does not have a sense or urgency like Pikmin 1 does, as the Famitsu reviewers made very clear.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - lazyfatbum - 29th April 2004

When I read that there was no timer I was severly disappointed. Landing in the morning and watching the day go by while you work on your projects is pure magic. The subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) changes in music as the day progresses until it reaches the final countdown, where everything goes pitch black and the music dies out, you really feel like night is falling. Not having that in the game would mean a completely different type of game and simply put, logically speaking, Nintendo hasn't had enough time to make a completely new game.

The 30 day timer... has anyone here actually needed all 30 days to get the parts? Was anyone here grabbing the 29th part on day 29? I didn't think so... 30 days is more than enough time and it was only there to give the player a sense of direction to reach the main goal, which is the last ship part. The very first time I played I got 29 parts on day 23 I had 6 days of goofing off to do, I could visit 2 areas 3 times or visit one area 6 times, or I could visit 3 areas, getting to spend 2 days on each of them and in reality, I could spend as many days as I wanted on any area and simply not overwrite my save file.

And OB1, when I said "in their minds" I was refering to the point that it is a video game and it doesn't exist in real time, it exists in game time. If you want to explore an area... go explore it. you have all the time you want since all you need to do is restart the day at any point. Or end the day and start a new one. Time is completely at the will of the game player. The same goes for Majora's Mask and the like. In a video game, time is just a quantifiable digit to be manipulated.

I sincerely hope you do your homework before you try to make a video game.

Famitsu's Pikmin 2 review - OB1 - 29th April 2004

Games are indeed just a bunch of numbers and code, but you cannot think like that when you are making games for other people to enjoy. They're not going to be thinking about how to cheat the system, they're going to want to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Yes you can cheat and explore an area in Pikmin and then reset the day so that you didn't lose any time, but then whatever you accomplished during your exploration would have been pointless. Exploring in games is not just about seeing what's out there, it's also about finding secrets, getting hidden items, and accomplishing new tasks. Sure I want to have the time to explore that lake that's just over the hill, but I also want to bring back anything that I find on my journey. When you're constantly racing the clock exploration is stifled. There's a reason why Miyamoto chose to remove the time limit, lazy. Perhaps you should stop to think about that before you consider yourself an expert at game design. You can't learn anything with an ego like that.