Tendo City
NEC's back...as a games publisher. - Printable Version

+- Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net)
+-- Forum: Tendo City: Metropolitan District (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Tendo City (https://www.tendocity.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=42)
+--- Thread: NEC's back...as a games publisher. (/showthread.php?tid=184)

Pages: 1 2

NEC's back...as a games publisher. - OB1 - 9th April 2003

Majora's Mask is a terrific game.

And I named some of gamespot's shitty reviews, so now you try to do the same for ign. You keep on going on about how bad their reviews are without giving one single example.

NEC's back...as a games publisher. - A Black Falcon - 10th April 2003

Jet Force Gemini is one...

NEC's back...as a games publisher. - OB1 - 10th April 2003

Wait-- you just said that they overrate games because of blind fanboyism, yet JFG is one of the big games that got a relatively poor score from them.

Confused

That is a example of my second complaint (idiotic non-existant framerate issues) that I mentioned...

First of all, they are real issues. Secondly, that's not why they gave the game a less-than-great score.

That was one of their main complaints...

I don't think it was. Why did they give Perfect Dark such a high score? That game had a pretty horrid framerate in some areas.

Ok yeah, the framerate was ign's biggest beef with the game. JFG did have a bad framerate, but I still enjoyed it a lot. That's one time that I disagree with ign64's review. It would have been better with a smoother framerate, however.

I never noticed that the framerate in JFG wasn't solid... Perfect Dark? A bit in some places, but it was never too bad...

JFG's framerate was even worse... Erm

Well in PD I didn't really see any framerate problems either, except in some of the multiplayer modes...

Really? Damn, I'm beginning to think that your brain can only detect ten frames per second.

What do you call framerate issues?

I didn't see any slowdown of whatever kind whatsoever in Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for NGC either... it was fine, except for how it uses an obscene 29 block save and takes what seems like 5 minuites to save...

Oh, and if its truly a slideshow of course I notice... I'd also notice if its really skipping or something or if there are big jumps. For example, I have Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I played it before I increased my system RAM from 128 to 384 megs. With character models at full detail, when I went around a corner and suddenly right infront of some enemies it'd slow down quite a bit for a second way too often (then speed back up, but by then often the damage was done)... a major flaw, of course, in a FPS! To get the game playable I had to drop character models to Medium resolution...

But JFG and PD? In JFG I didn't notice any slow framerates... unless the whole thing was slow I can't think of anything... and PD? Sure some of the multiplay (8 bots and several humans, and sometimes in coop or counterop) was a bit slow, and MAYBE once in a while in single player (It was a while ago... I don't really remember...), but not anything unplayble or dramatic...

Try playing PD in high-res mode and prepare for a chop-fest.

Hey if you can stand bad framerates then congrats, but for a lot of us a bad framerate can really detract from the gameplay. Especially when it comes to shooters since you lose accuracy.

I don't know if it was hi-res or not, but probably, since I have a expansion pack...

In Excitebike 64, there's a hi-res mode but I don't use it because of the fact that it is a bit slower and (mainly) because I don't like how it letterboxes the game...

And I'd agree, poor framerates do make shooters hard, when they get low enough or bounce around a lot.